Old 01-16-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

The Trump Impeachment Trial

Senators are sworn in, let's go...
Old 01-16-2020, 03:15 PM

C-span video of the swearing in.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

To give you an idea as to how confident the GOP is in responding to questions regarding the Impeachment proceedings, remember that Mitch McConnell has ordered severe press restrictions, as well as the GOP handing out these flashcards which give GOP senators canned responses to our questions.

Also, yesterday, C-Span put out a statement requesting their cameras be allowed in the Senate chambers to carry the proceedings live:

https://static.c-span.org/assets/doc...-to-Senate.pdf

Last edited by JohnT; 01-16-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:42 PM

I'm trying to decide how I feel about limiting press access to the senators during the trial.

On the one hand, they are ostensibly the jury, and should not be making up their minds or discussing the case while the trial is in progress. As long as everyone is on the same page and following the same rules I can understand this point of view. As I understand it, the senators will be listening, not speaking, so they should not have a point of view to explain or defend.

On the other hand, they need to be accountable and accessible to the American people as a consequence of their positions. Plus, I'm nosy and want fo know how they're reacting to the (please, please!) evidence and witnesses.

Am I a complete Pollyanna to think that there's a glimmer of a chance that the continuing release of damning evidence will sway at least a few senators? That they'll feel and appreciate the gravity of the task at hand and really listen?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
Am I a complete Pollyanna to think that there's a glimmer of a chance that the continuing release of damning evidence will sway at least a few senators? That they'll feel and appreciate the gravity of the task at hand and really listen?
Yes.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:37 PM

Susan Collins, ever the spineless weasel, is hedging her votes before the trial even starts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Rubin (WaPo)
Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) replied yesterday to a reporter’s question about the blockbuster Lev Parnas documents handed over to the House on Tuesday. “I wonder why the House did not put that into the record and it’s only now being revealed,” she said. When told the House had just received them, she retorted, “Doesn’t that suggest that the House did an incomplete job, then?” No, and her reply should deeply concern the voters of Maine and anyone who wants a full and fair impeachment trial.
The only gravity the craven GOP senators feel is the gravity of cash that Trump will use to either support or deny them their next election.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 01-16-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I continue to think there is a better than zero chance there will be 2-3 GOP Senators who will vote guilty on at least one charge. My guess would be Romney and Lee from Utah are the most likely. Beyond that I don't really have any idea who might be inclined to vote with the Democrats. And I'm pretty certain at least one D (Manchin) will vote to acquit.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:41 PM

Here are the articles of impeachment (PDF):
H.R. 755, 116th Cong. (2019)
~Max
Old 01-16-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
I continue to think there is a better than zero chance there will be 2-3 GOP Senators who will vote guilty on at least one charge. My guess would be Romney and Lee from Utah are the most likely. Beyond that I don't really have any idea who might be inclined to vote with the Democrats. And I'm pretty certain at least one D (Manchin) will vote to acquit.
I haven't paid much attention to Lee on this, but as for Romney, I would not be at all surprised if he voted guilty on one or both charges.

In any case, given that the first page of a Google search didn't mention it, am I to assume this will NOT be televised?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Susan Collins, ever the spineless weasel, is hedging her votes before the trial even starts:

The only gravity the craven GOP senators feel is the gravity of cash that Trump will use to either support or deny them their next election.
Still better than Martha McSally's response, ďYouíre a liberal hack. Iím not talking to you,Ē when a reporter asked her the same question.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
I haven't paid much attention to Lee on this, but as for Romney, I would not be at all surprised if he voted guilty on one or both charges.

In any case, given that the first page of a Google search didn't mention it, am I to assume this will NOT be televised?
It will not be televised. As per McConnell's and the GOP's wishes.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-16-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
No cameras at all, or just no live feed?
Old 01-16-2020, 05:15 PM

I know the ending just like I knew the ending to Titanic.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Got a cite for that? I can't find one.

My understanding is that there will be only one designated camera, similar to a pool camera situation for the actual proceedings and prohibited to film anything other than the actual proceedings. I'm not sure this is settled yet, but I'll certainly accept any cite you've got on the subject. Pretty important stuff!
Old 01-16-2020, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...eachment-trial

Quote:
The broadcast and cable networks have issued a joint request to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell requesting that they be able to use C-SPAN cameras for coverage of the impeachment trial of President Trump.

The current plan for next week’s trial coverage has TV depending on the video feed provided by the Senate Recording Studio, which according to C-SPAN will have a restricted view of the floor debates.

C-SPAN, the nonprofit service that carries federal government proceedings and provides them to cable and satellite operators, raised the issue in a Dec. 19 letter to McConnell.
So, yes, I stand corrected as now it's just limited access, fewer cameras, and fed through a system controlled by the Republicans.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-16-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:32 PM

Brit here who has no idea if this is a stupid question or not: is the vote to remove from office an anonymous or public one?
Old 01-16-2020, 05:32 PM

Ok, that comports with my understanding. It will be televised on a restricted basis, controlled entirely by the Senate. No independent news media will be allowed to cover it.

LOL, I wonder if Trump will make a pitch to allow only Fox cameras in.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Still better than Martha McSally's response, ďYouíre a liberal hack. Iím not talking to you,Ē when a reporter asked her the same question.
Angry, stupid and afraid is no way to serve in the Senate, Martha.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
Brit here who has no idea if this is a stupid question or not: is the vote to remove from office an anonymous or public one?
The Senate can establish whatever rules they like. At this time, the vote will be recorded. Each senator will have to go on the record for his/her vote. McConnell needs this in order to keep his caucus in line. A secret ballot might have a different result.

However, in a representative democracy, these Senators should NOT have a secret ballot. We elected them and each of them needs to own his/her votes.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
The Constitution does not require that individual votes be public or even written down; however, Art. I sect. 5 is relevant here:
"Each House shall keep a Journal of its Proceedings, and from
time to time publish the same, excepting such Parts as may in
their Judgment require Secrecy; and the Yeas and Nays of the
Members of either House on any question shall, at the Desire
of one fifth of those Present, be entered on the Journal.
"
~Max

Last edited by Max S.; 01-16-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: individual votes
Old 01-16-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah... so it is the Revolution then!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:04 PM

Is there a schedule out for the trial?
Will it still be ongoing when Trump delivers the State of the Union? (has he accepted the invitation yet?)
Old 01-16-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
Is there a schedule out for the trial?
Will it still be ongoing when Trump delivers the State of the Union? (has he accepted the invitation yet?)
It starts on Tuesday the 21st at 1:00 p.m. and will continue each day thereafter starting at 1:00 p.m. each day on Mondays through Saturdays.

It may still be going on at the time Trump has scheduled to give the SotU, in which case he will probably postpone giving it. He has accepted the invitation, practically the same hour it was offered, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by Aspenglow; 01-16-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Public. Every senator is called by name, one by one, to stand and say "guilty" or "not guilty."
Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Public. Every senator is called by name, one by one, to stand and say "guilty" or "not guilty."
It doesn't have to be that way, but precedent indicates it will be. See Rule XXIII from the Senate rules for the trial of Bill Clinton, page 10 (15 in this PDF).

~Max
Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 PM

People need to accept that Trump will be acquitted.

That being said, we need to take what we can from the trial. Play the long game. Trump will be acquitted, which will likely be a political shot in the arm in the short term.

But we all know that there will be a time when Trump's house of cards falls, because we all know that Trump really and truly is an unmitigated disaster, and that it's inevitable he will take a good chunk of this country's wealth and prestige down with him. Impeachment is a way to get Republicans and cowardly "moderate" Democrats on the record once and for all.

There will be a reckoning.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
That has always been my understanding... I am expecting something very close to a party line vote, with maybe one or two "defectors" on each side.

~Max
Old 01-16-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
That has always been my understanding... I am expecting something very close to a party line vote, with maybe one or two "defectors" on each side.

~Max
I've tried to explain repeatedly that we're not living in Watergate times - it's a different era now. Before the ball got rolling on impeachment, we had a 2+ year period that included blatantly obvious politically-motivated firings and retribution. The president and his cabinet lie their asses off hundreds of times in a week. And it's not really moving the needle.

The president's corruption and gaslighting have effectively become normalized. This behavior isn't exceptional. Like mass shootings, opioid addiction, and obesity, it's kinda weird when we don't see it. Our house is on fire but instead of heeding the fire alarm, we just snooze. We get angrier at people who tell us the building is on fire than we do the arsonists who set it ablaze in the first place.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I've tried to explain repeatedly that we're not living in Watergate times - it's a different era now.
From what I've read, it's been a different era since Iran-Contra.

~Max
Old 01-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Trump's attorneys will include Ken Starr and Alan Dershowitz, also known as The Scheme Team.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:38 AM

Clinton gave a SOTU speech during his trial. He did not mention the trial in the speech.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:55 AM

Excellent point:

Senate Dems Running for President Must Recuse Themselves from Impeachment Trial

"Senators Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Michael Bennett and Amy Klochubar must recuse themselves from any participation in President Trumpís upcoming Senate trial or be guilty of interfering in the 2020 election.

By sitting on the jury and voting to impeach, they each commit the crime that Trump is accused of committing. Anything less than complete recusal would be an abuse of power, comparable to one of the charges brought against the president, and which will be debated and voted upon in the coming weeks."

https://www.westernjournal.com/senat...ibertyalliance
Old 01-17-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I think thereís only two senators whose votes are actually in question, as opposed to them just pretending thereís a chance they can be persuaded. Those two are Doug Jones (D) Alabama and Joe Manchin (D) West Virginia. Thereís no way that any of the Republicans, even Susan Collins, havenít already made up their minds. Some of them are just putting on an act to try and fool the more gullible voters.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZombie View Post
Excellent point:

"Senators Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Michael Bennett and Amy Klochubar must recuse themselves from any participation in President Trumpís upcoming Senate trial or be guilty of interfering in the 2020 election.

By sitting on the jury and voting to impeach, they each commit the crime that Trump is accused of committing. Anything less than complete recusal would be an abuse of power, comparable to one of the charges brought against the president, and which will be debated and voted upon in the coming weeks."

Although I agree the president is guilty and should be removed from office, I also agree that if a senator is running for president, they should recuse themselves.

It would have been advisable for Bennett and Klochubar to drop out earlier so that they could vote, it is not like they were going to win anyway.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
I think thereís only two senators whose votes are actually in question, as opposed to them just pretending thereís a chance they can be persuaded. Those two are Doug Jones (D) Alabama and Joe Manchin (D) West Virginia. Thereís no way that any of the Republicans, even Susan Collins, havenít already made up their minds. Some of them are just putting on an act to try and fool the more gullible voters.
Gasp! Surely Romney will make a stand here! You slander him, sir!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Excellent point:

I agree. And, in furtherance of this principle, I think it is only fair that members of the accused's political party recuse themselves as well.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Trump's attorneys will include Ken Starr and Alan Dershowitz, also known as The Scheme Team.
Really tripling down on the "Party of Rape" philosophy. Dersh has been credibly accused of sexual assault, and Starr had to resign from Baylor due to his abominable handling of sexual assault on campus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor...ssault_scandal
Old 01-17-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Really tripling down on the "Party of Rape" philosophy. Dersh has been credibly accused of sexual assault, and Starr had to resign from Baylor due to his abominable handling of sexual assault on campus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor...ssault_scandal
Too bad Johnny Cochran's dead. He could probably get trump off. "If the allegations don't fit, you must acquit!"
Old 01-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

LOL, the 10th Article of Impeachment for Andrew Johnson...

https://www.nps.gov/anjo/learn/histo.../article-x.htm

Some choice quotes:

Quote:
SPECIFICATION SECOND. In this, that at Cleveland, in the State of Ohio, heretofore, to wit, on the third day of September, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-six, before a public assemblage of citizens and others, said Andrew Johnson, President of the United States, speaking of and concerning the Congress of the United States did, in a loud voice, declare in substance and effect among other things, that is to say:

"I will tell you what I did do. I called upon your Congress that is trying to break up the government."

"In conclusion, beside that, Congress had taken much pains to poison their constituents against him. But what had Congress done? Have they done anything to restore the union of these States? No: on the contrary, they had done everything to prevent it; and because he stood now where he did when the rebellion commenced, he had been denounced as a traitor. Who had run greater risks or made greater sacrifices than himself? But Congress, factious and domineering, had undertaken to poison the minds of the American people.
Quote:
SPECIFICATION THIRD - In this, that at St. Louis, in the State of Missouri, heretofore, to wit, on the eighth day of September, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-six, before a public assemblage of citizens and others, said Andrew Johnson, President of the United States, speaking of and concerning the Congress of the United States, did, in a loud voice, declare, in substance and effect, among other things, that is to say:

"... When you read the speeches that were made, and take up the facts on the Friday and Saturday before that convention sat, you will there find that speeches were made incendiary in their character, exciting that portion of the population, the black population, to arm themselves and prepare for the shedding of blood. You will also find that that convention did assemble in violation of law, and the intention of that convention was to supersede the reorganized authorities in the State government of Louisiana, which had been recognized by the government of the United States; and every man engaged in that rebellion in that convention, with the intention of superseding and upturning the civil government which had been recognized by the government of the United States I say that he was a traitor to the Constitution of the United States, and hence you find that another rebellion was commenced, having its origin in the radical Congress."

(Emphasis in my citation, JT)
Imagine! Getting impeached for saying mean things about Congress in a speech before a couple of hundred people in Cleveland!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Excellent point:

If every Senator who has said or done something that has tipped off their lack of impartiality were to recuse themselves for the trial, the Chief Justice would preside over an empty chamber.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
If every Senator who has said or done something that has tipped off their lack of impartiality were to recuse themselves for the trial, the Chief Justice would preside over an empty chamber.
You realize, of course, that that ISN'T the reason for recusing themselves?
Old 01-17-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Excellent point:

If you also agree to recuse any senator that Trump has ever campaigned for or will campaign for, you've got yourself a deal.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:

That being said, we need to take what we can from the trial. Play the long game. Trump will be acquitted, which will likely be a political shot in the arm in the short term.

But we all know that there will be a time when Trump's house of cards falls, because we all know that Trump really and truly is an unmitigated disaster, and that it's inevitable he will take a good chunk of this country's wealth and prestige down with him. Impeachment is a way to get Republicans and cowardly "moderate" Democrats on the record once and for all.

Call me crazy, but I think anyone with even one quarter of a brain know that Trump is going to be acquitted!

As for the long term, I have long hoped and still do hope that having Republican senators go on record voting to acquit will have the effect of at least a few of them not getting re-elected. I am not confident this will happen, but if nothing else, maybe it will bring more Democrats to the polls. As for Trump taking down a good chunk of the country's wealth, if current trends in the GDP, employment, the stock market, and other economic indicators continue on their present course, I don't see this happening. Not by a long shot.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 01-17-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:08 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Will they be dragged out of their homes and hanged by their heels from lamp posts?
Old 01-17-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Ken Starr, who was fired from Baylor for covering up a rape scandal, and Alan Dershowitz, who spent lots of time with Jeffrey Epstein.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Ken Starr, who was fired from Baylor for covering up a rape scandal, and Alan Dershowitz, who spent lots of time with Jeffrey Epstein.
Dershowitz also spent some time with Claire, Hazel, and Tatianna according to Epstein's flight logs.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:08 PM

In 1999 guess who said Ken Starr was a freak, a lunatic?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
If you also agree to recuse any senator that Trump has ever campaigned for or will campaign for, you've got yourself a deal.
Let's not forget senators whose campaigns Trump urged his minions to help fund.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-17-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
In 1999 guess who said Ken Starr was a freak, a lunatic?
Hitler?
Old 01-17-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Play her cards right and she could be press secretary some day.
Closed Thread