Old 11-06-2019, 06:24 PM

To add a bit to Tuba's post above, the mod Melin got in a slapfight with was JillGat who was a CDC type person and when Ed said "Both of you knock it off" JillGat did and Melin didn't.

Melin's "side" of things was way, WAY wrong. I mean, just objectively. The short version is that Melin had said something like "I'm colorblind so I don't choose a 'race' on forms, government or otherwise" and JillGat said "That's easy to say since you have white privilege. There are a lot of reasons to list it, public health being one."

You can see Melin argue her "case" in this surviving thread:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ead.php?t=1143. See post #8 for a wall o' text with Melin's screed on it. (The majority of people in that thread are "Guest")

She (Melin) claimed to be a lawyer and that was the best case she could make? Also, she apparently never heard that "brevity is the soul of wit". 10,000 lines to say that "There's no reason to EVAR give out your racial info, except maybe for health reasons, on any form."
Old 11-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

That thread has it all. Socks, flounces, accusations and denials and even the phrase "arbitrary and capricious". It provides excellent background to many of the rules and traditions of the SDMB.

Thank you TubaDiva.

Thank you Fenris, especially for not screwing up the link.

Last edited by steatopygia; 11-06-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
That thread has it all. Socks, flounces, accusations and denials and even the phrase "arbitrary and capricious". It provides excellent background to many of the rules and traditions of the SDMB.

Thank you TubaDiva.

Thank you Fenris, especially for not screwing up the link.
I missed all that but I am pretty sure that was "one of the things we will not mention" when I first started lurking around this version. I never could quite decide if any of them were inside jokes or what; after a year or so I figured out that is was more a group of whats.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:12 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

It was awful, all of it. Destroyed a lot of friendships. Affected me personally and professionally.

It was a terribly divisive incident in our history and it was just so unnecessary.

Looking back on it today mostly I'm just sad. Life is too short, ya know.

Please, let's talk about happier stuff. We do have a lot of that too.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Old 11-06-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Oh gods, such a mess such a long time ago. I think I remember all of it. She nearly put us out of business altogether.

Let me explain. No, there is too much. (Really.) Let me sum up.
should I prepare to die?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

I have to say I don't remember this particular dumpster fire at all, even though I had been a member for months by then.

It's a sign that the drugs are finally working.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I guess that is one of those memories I lost after my brain surgery back in '06.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Eh, never seen any objection to celebrating 99er-ness or for that matter AOL-ness.

Myself I'm a later 99er from when the Board went onto the regular interwebstubes, so missed, or was not yet active enough to notice, some of the epic battles of that legendary age. Prior alt.fan.cecil-adams reg, though (gotta say that was one fine, fine crowd) and of course even prior SD Alternative Weeklies and books follower.

So get off my lawn ye crick-necked "device" holding kids.

But the '99 age was interesting, as shortly afterward came the increasingly narrower segmentation of the forums. Did not miss the Winter Of Our Missed Content though, which did tick me off since in the mists of my memory I am convinced I posted some veritable masterpieces in those months. Then again the mists of my memory that far back are, shall we say, misty.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
We should ask tomndebb if he is still in contact with vanilla. I believe she lives not far from him, or at least she used to. Wondered whatever happened to her.

Vanilla, who wanted to change her screen name every week. No fooling.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Boy, that old LaSalle ran great!
All of my contact with Vanilla/Rose was through the SDMB and Fathom. I have no outside contact and no information at this point.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I guess that is one of those memories I lost after my brain surgery back in '06.
So, it was a complete success!
Old 11-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

During the Winter Of Our Missed Content I was in a funk because the board was down for so long. I don't remember how I came by the news that a temp board was set up but was overjoyed when I did find out. It was funny to see all the regulars slowly appear at the temp board like refugees.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
All of my contact with Vanilla/Rose was through the SDMB and Fathom. I have no outside contact and no information at this point.

My contact with her was here and on AOL. Until she went full on rage stalker and I blocked her there. She has more issues than a national magazine. Hopefully she's getting the help she needs, but I doubt she can afford it.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

I was going to look back fondly to the days when some people thought I, kunilou, was a girl, but that lasted all the way up until I changed my username.

And admit it. Some of you STILL aren't convinced, are you.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I remember that kerfuffle. It is why I limited myself to the GQ forum only, for years.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
I was going to look back fondly to the days when some people thought I, kunilou, was a girl, but that lasted all the way up until I changed my username.

With a few exceptions from Dopefests and meet-ups I have no idea what gender anyone is. And for anyone who has said I have forgotten; it's one of the reasons I usually say "she/he/whatever" when I get backed into a corner in a reply of some sort. I always blame my stroke but it comes down to I just never could remember shit for nothing until I can put name, face and more together enough times to burn it into what hard-drive I have left.

And as for the name meaning anything --- I found out that that wasn't always a safe bet loooong before the internet when I was racing against a girl named Kim who had a wrench-bender named Charlie. Kim was a guy and Charlie was Charlene. And my face was just plain red.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Along those lines, Ultress should have changed his name. He might still be here.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

^^What am I missing? Ultress was indeed a woman.What leads you to believe she wasn't?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

IIRC, we also had an "Ilsa Lund" who was male.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I never got genders confused (and people do occasionally confuse me for a girl online all the time, though not in person, the beard is a giveaway) but I didnít realize until now that you were kunilou. Boy Iím dense.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
^^What am I missing? Ultress was indeed a woman.What leads you to believe she wasn't?
My bad. Just going from memory, which was (obviously) faulty. I'm misremembering some other name that "looks" feminine but was indeed a male.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 PM

Carol Stream?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

I think Nurse Carmen was a guy.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
During the Winter Of Our Missed Content I was in a funk because the board was down for so long. I don't remember how I came by the news that a temp board was set up but was overjoyed when I did find out. It was funny to see all the regulars slowly appear at the temp board like refugees.
i remember there was more than one temp board because wed get kicked off because a few tuba tried couldn't handle the traffic back then .......... I also remember a few banned people snuck on the temp ones.... like someone who i remember as blowjob girl because in the maybe a month she was here .. every topic she created was about oral sex and fo course was banned suddenly showed up and tried to start stuff .......

Last edited by nightshadea; 11-11-2019 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:37 AM

Also anyone remeber whats possibly the most popular thread we had?

It was "write the lord of the rings in the style of your favorite author" thread when i had to leave i think it was at 150 pages and had people signing up just to post in that one thread .....
Old 11-11-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I didnít realize until now that you were kunilou. Boy Iím dense.
If you're dense, then so am I, because I never made that connection either.

But I've long since given up trying to remember who used to post under what name. Sometimes I can remember, like with Earl Snake-Hips Tucker, that they used to have a different username once upon a time, but do I remember what name he used to post under? No, not a clue. But usually I'm not even aware of that.

Earl is right that Nurse Carmen identified here as a guy.

I'd forgotten that Melingate was so early in this board's life, at least under its UBB/vBulletin format. I'd have guessed it had happened at least a year later, rather than in this place's first few months. Can't say I miss any of those intra-board wars - thinking of Melingate, and the arguments over the bannings of Dopers like Satan or danielinthewolvesden. I'm just as happy to do without all that drama, thanks.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Wait, whaa?

Pre-social media saturation, a part of the utter delight of SDMB was that we were discovering that there were a lot more of us out there than we thought there were. I don't mean to sound as though any of us who discovered the Boards in, say, 2008 aren't wound in that very special levulorotary fashion that makes the world different.

I only attended a few Dopefests. One or two in NYC. The first one, I'll never forget. I was nervously asking how we would know who was who ( as mentioned just above, handles are entirely gender-fluid here ). The much-beloved Cajun Man suggested that I'd find a way to self-identify. And I did. I said, " I'll be the one in the Day-Gloô Orange sash ( a la Miss America pageants ) with

Cartooniverse

writ large across it. He found this to be mighty amusing. Of course, that is exactly what I was wearing when I walked into the bar. Made it kind of easy for Cajun to walk over, already laughing, and give me a big hug and welcome me.

I think it was at the second Dopefest in NYC that I met the brilliant and fierce Biggirl and her husband ( who wasn't a Doper, IIRC ). And tons of other interesting folk. Then there was the Dopefest in the D.C. area.....barely remember that, except that some members showed up in early Steampunk outfits. The names, the names...

The few direct email / message conversations with L'il Ed are precious to me, because I knew I was dealing with a daunting wit and all-around nice guy. Also, of course, a literary titan.

On its best days I'd say this small corner of the Universe still has the ability to make me think, laugh, tear up and get mad. As always.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
Carol Stream?
Yeah, I was confused by that too at first, until I realized it was a city in Illinois.