Old 11-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Why has the general social-media public pretended like the Popeye's sandwich was the first competitor to Chik-Fil-A in the history of fast food? I understand marketing and alll, but sheesh.
Not a single person on the planet pretended this.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I'm going to disagree with some of this.

Sure, some folks despise Chik-Fil-A's politics, but a lot? Not even close. A lot of Dopers do, but the general public are fine with the company's stance.
Are you actually ascribing a political stance—arguably the stance that has already lost politically, legally, and a majority of the public—related to one of the most controversial issues of our time to the “general public?”

Quote:
Also, I cannot believe it "blew up unexpectedly". It was actually a masterful marketing ploy. Are we to think the world suddenly had a chicken shortage? That lasted several months?

Disney, McDonalds, and other corporate powerhouses have demonstrated how creating an artificial shortage or manufacturing unavailability makes us humans crave a product well beyond reason.
Fast food chains are constantly introducing new products. If such success had been so easy to achieve, we would be experiencing a constant rate of junk food rage murders.

Yes, marketers try to achieve success. No, this kind of blockbuster success can’t be planned.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
This seems to suggest a misaligned sense of proportion. Cutting in line is a violation of the social norms, but certainly not one that should justify rage and violence.
All social norms are enforced by violence.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:15 PM

The people in my household (excluding me) eat a lot of fried chicken. They brought home Popeye's sandwiches the other night. Fried food on soft white buns is not my thing, but it was actually pretty good, certainly better than the chemical-tasting Chick-Fil-A (and without the right-wing issue).
Old 11-07-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Also, I cannot believe it "blew up unexpectedly". It was actually a masterful marketing ploy. Are we to think the world suddenly had a chicken shortage? That lasted several months?
I read a business report on this and they did actually mess up. They had what they projected would last 7 weeks. They sold it all in less than 2. It wasn't "several months" (about 2) but if you think about it, the batter has to be Popeye's recipe so there are other supply streams involved. When you think about how many restaurants they have and now they have to basically quadruple the estimated demand that is a lot of chicken and batter to get specially prepared on short notice. I don't know if the chicken comes in pre-battered and frozen or not.

I'd bet there is an analyst that used to work at Popeye's now looking for work. In hindsight it may have worked out well for the company but he/she is really bad at forecasting.

I drive by a Popeye's on my way to and from work and today when I drove by around 2 was the first time the drive thru wasn't backed up into the street. I tried a couple the first time around (both spicy and regular) and I thought they were way better than CFA and Wendy's.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

What I read in the Wall Street Journal is that there was a supply chain issue in regards to sourcing both the brioche buns they use and the chicken breast (which is apparently from a smaller sized chicken.) They went through what they thought would be three months of product in 14 days. I don't get the sense this was a marketing ploy at all. By all accounts, it actually is a really good chicken sandwich that seems to be loved by consumers and critics alike, as opposed to other "limited time" items like the McRib (which, as we see in this thread, some people love, but I find a really awful fast food item, and I've been influenced into buying it a few times because of the limited availability, only to regret my purchase and only learn after about three years in a row of this.) I don't see any incentive for Popeye's to keep the chicken off the menu for that long, when they could have steadily been making money on it in the two months off the menu.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:40 PM

Pretty much what I had read. A royal screw up that may have turned out ok for them.

And as far as the McRib goes... I ate one and that will be enough to satisfy me for life. I can say I have tried one.

The sandwich in question... if the line isn't backed up I'll probably get another tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
For some, timing of a joke is always too soon or too late. I wonder sometimes if they'd be better off at musical.
This has nothing to do with timing, and everything to do with the forum. Sarcasm doesn’t translate as well in written communication.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Fingers View Post
The people in my household (excluding me) eat a lot of fried chicken. They brought home Popeye's sandwiches the other night. Fried food on soft white buns is not my thing, but it was actually pretty good, certainly better than the chemical-tasting Chick-Fil-A (and without the right-wing issue).
I believe Chicken Fingers is probably the authority on this topic. Case closed!
Old 11-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyr View Post
The McRib actually is fucking delicious though.
^^^^This
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
What I read in the Wall Street Journal is that there was a supply chain issue in regards to sourcing both the brioche buns they use and the chicken breast (which is apparently from a smaller sized chicken.) They went through what they thought would be three months of product in 14 days. I don't get the sense this was a marketing ploy at all. By all accounts, it actually is a really good chicken sandwich that seems to be loved by consumers and critics alike, as opposed to other "limited time" items like the McRib (which, as we see in this thread, some people love, but I find a really awful fast food item, and I've been influenced into buying it a few times because of the limited availability, only to regret my purchase and only learn after about three years in a row of this.) I don't see any incentive for Popeye's to keep the chicken off the menu for that long, when they could have steadily been making money on it in the two months off the menu.
yeah, this. factory raised chickens have been bred for ever-increasing breast muscle, just like domestic turkeys. Kenji at Serious Eats did a clone of the Chik-fil-a sandwich and recommended cutting a standard boneless breast into two thinner cutlets since a whole one would be way too damn big for a sandwich.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 PM

I predict the next generation of these wars will feature vegeburgers made of chickweed.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:43 PM

I had one tonight (the spicy), and it was pretty good. I wouldn't have stood in a long line for it, but we waited less than 10 minutes. It wasn't "make me want to slap my grandmother" good.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:21 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
I predict the next generation of these wars will feature vegeburgers made of chickweed.
Not kale?
Chickweed grows in chicken poop. There will be chicken sandwiches to kill for as long as there are chickens, and when there are no chickens, there will be no chickweed.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
First, I’m going to assume there’s some misplaced sarcasm in there (misplaced because I think the topic is serious enough to warrant a straight up rejection of lethal violence over violation of "social norms.")

With that said... how would you announce your intention to kill the line cutter? Is there... any particular turn of phrase you might use? Inigo Montoya? Might you invite the so-called provocateur to... "prepare" for something?
You scream and leap. Avoid the unnecessarily verbose challenge.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:30 PM

Popeyes employee brutally body slams woman on concrete.
For a sandwich?
WTF is the matter with people?

I have no interest at all in getting near Popeyes anytime soon. Not until the frenzy is over.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/p...n-body-slammed
Quote:
Staggs was “confused and frightened” during the altercation, her lawyer said, and tried to leave the building before she was attacked.
She reportedly suffered six cracked ribs, nine fractures and a broken knee.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-09-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
A lot of people are morons. That about sums it up.
end of thread...
winner winner, chicken (sandwich) dinner...
Old 11-09-2019, 04:19 PM

We buy a whole roast CostCo chicken for the price of what? 1 or 2 chicken sandwiches? We tear off and devour the main limbs, leaving slabs of flesh to be sliced off, nuked or fried or sauteed, and used in, y'know, SANDWICHES, or quesadillas or tortas, or kebabs or whatever. Popeye and the Colonel and the fundy jeezoids running Chick-Fill-Lay are irrelevant if one has a few extra minutes. But do what you must when time is short.

I predict a future of autonomous cars run by McFood franchises. Take a TacoSmell or CrapInTheBox or PolloLoko wagon to and from work, eating guess-what along the way.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:54 AM

Let’s not forget...

https://youtu.be/FfRkGxz6qNs
Old 11-10-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
We buy a whole roast CostCo chicken for the price of what? 1 or 2 chicken sandwiches? We tear off and devour the main limbs, leaving slabs of flesh to be sliced off, nuked or fried or sauteed, and used in, y'know, SANDWICHES, or quesadillas or tortas, or kebabs or whatever. Popeye and the Colonel and the fundy jeezoids running Chick-Fill-Lay are irrelevant if one has a few extra minutes. But do what you must when time is short.

I predict a future of autonomous cars run by McFood franchises. Take a TacoSmell or CrapInTheBox or PolloLoko wagon to and from work, eating guess-what along the way.
Keep your smug snootiness to yourself, at least until you understand that a whole, bone-in rotisserie roasted chicken is in no way similar to breaded/fried breast cutlets.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Keep your smug snootiness to yourself, at least until you understand that a whole, bone-in rotisserie roasted chicken is in no way similar to breaded/fried breast cutlets.
I was going to say, I like those rotisserie chickens fine, but they in no way satisfy a fried chicken craving.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:41 PM

Chicken sandwiches are so easy. The secret is to butterfly the breast and separate into two pieces. That ensures they cook through evenly.

Double dip in seasoned flour and egg. Pan fry in olive oil and butter. (YouTube has DIY videos)

My wife and I work together. I butterfly and she dips the chicken. We alternate cooking the breast and assembling the sandwiches.
We can make sandwiches quicker than driving to & from Chick-Fil-A or the other fast food places.

I've read Chick-Fil-A marinated in pickle juice. I need to give it a try. Maybe for a hour?

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-10-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

The pickle juice thing I heard is false. Pickle juice does make a nice marinade, though. I make fried chicken sandwiches at home about once every six weeks, and they are nice and crispy, but I can’t quite get that light crunchy coat you get at Popeye’s or a lot of places. I think it’s probably a single dredge instead of a double. That gets me closer to the texture I like. Double coated is nice and crispy, but a bit thicker than I like. One of my favorite fried chicken places batters their chicken, producing a very nice, lightly crispy coating. I need to play around with that, as well.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-10-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:13 PM

Same here. Our extended family likes the chicken sandwiches we make at home.

They aren't a exact copy of the fast food restaurant sandwiches. It would be very difficult without the exact recipe and equipment.

I still buy chicken sandwiches for lunch. There isn't time to drive home, cook, and eat during my break.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-10-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:46 PM

I've eaten at a Popeye's once. I ordered my food and while I was waiting for it, I noticed a Health Inspector's report hanging on the wall. It was two full pages long and listed at least a dozen health code violations. I've never seen such a poor report before. The food was good (yes I ate it), but I couldn't get that report out of my mind. I haven't eaten at a Popeye's since, even though I assume the problems were likely limited to that particular restaurant.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Fingers View Post
The people in my household (excluding me) eat a lot of fried chicken.
Understandable; self-cannibalism is highly taboo.

Quote:
They brought home Popeye's sandwiches the other night. Fried food on soft white buns is not my thing, but it was actually pretty good, certainly better than the chemical-tasting Chick-Fil-A (and without the right-wing issue).
Yeah, I hate eating the right wings of chickens. Too tough. Glad to hear that there's a restaurant chain using the much more tender left-wings for their sandwiches.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
...I like those rotisserie chickens fine, but they in no way satisfy a fried chicken craving.
Of course not. So hack off some slices to fry. They're already cooked through so you can concentrate on searing them JUST right.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of course not. So hack off some slices to fry. They're already cooked through so you can concentrate on searing them JUST right.
Dude, it's not the same. Look, I know how to fry a chicken. You can't get a deep fried chicken from a rotisserie chicken.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-10-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:54 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
No. The whole "I can make it better and cheaper at home" shtick is just lame. No, you can't. Give it up.