View Poll Results: Your feelings about Christianity vs. feelings about other religions
I perceive Christianity in a more positive light than I perceive other religions. 19 15.45%
I perceive Christianity no differently than I perceive any other religion. 72 58.54%
I perceive Christianity in a more negative light than I perceive other religions. 32 26.02%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
It was literally what you said. Here, I will quote you (underline mine):
No. I'll walk you through this. If you pay attention, at the end you'll have learned the meaning of 'literally', a very useful and practical word for grown-ups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible
If you follow the literal teachings of Christ then you practice mercy, forgiveness, compassion, generosity, etc.
That's literally what I said. I did not say "And no other religion practices these virtues." I did not say "You're not truly doing it if you don't do it the Christian way". I did not say "There is no other way to understand these virtues." I did not say "The Christian way of practicing these virtues is is the best way".

Quote:
Jews follow the Old Testament and most value and honor the Golden Rule.
The Golden Rule is New Testament. If they choose to follow it, great.

If you believe "Jews follow the Old Testament" then that tells me you don't really know what Judaism is or the Old Testament is. Learn that and come back for an informed discussion.

Quote:
What about atheists? They don't follow any religious tenets. Are they good or bad?
I will again direct you to what I literally wrote:
Quote:
If someone tells me that they do certain things because their religion demands it, then the religion gets the credit (or blame).
What am I saying about atheists? Nothing. Literally nothing.

Quote:
What I'm suggesting is that th
I don't care what you're suggesting as long as you're mischaracterizing what I wrote, attributing false implications to it, and demonstrating thoroughly defective reasoning while doing so.

Read.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

You're right, HMS Irruncible. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Contrast that with Christ's commandments to essentially ignore the Old Testament and be loving, kind, helpful, merciful, tolerant, forgiving, humble, etc... if you follow those instructions, those are good things and it makes you a good person.
That isn't what Christ said. Christ said "I have not come to abolish the law" and also warned on many occasions of Hell and damnation awaiting those who did not repent, and also said "I did not come to bring peace but a sword."
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
You're right, HMS Irruncible. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Accepted, no hard feelings.
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

You people who are hating on Christianity should be glad you don't live somewhere like Saudi Arabia (Islam) or North Korea (Marxism / Communism). For all its faults, Christianity is one of the most benign of religions.

Me? I'm a theist, but not Christian. I don't really fit into any modern religion.
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
North Korea (Marxism / Communism)
What is the religion of that area and how how do you reckon it informs one's everyday decisions?
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

Quote:
You people who are hating on Christianity should be glad you don't live somewhere like Saudi Arabia (Islam) or North Korea (Marxism / Communism). For all its faults, Christianity is one of the most benign of religions.
No, it's one of the most malignant and destructive that has ever existed. It's just not as firmly in power anymore; religions inflict harm in proportion to how much power they have, and over the last few centuries Christianity has lost most of its power.

Religion has far more power in Saudi Arabia, therefore it does more harm because that's what religion does.
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

An interesting thing that I learned today is that Christian atheism exists. Upon reflection, that might be my thing.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
An interesting thing that I learned today is that Christian atheism exists. Upon reflection, that might be my thing.
Yup, been around pretty much since the time of Jesus. I think that might also have been Thomas Jefferson's thing, although he's usually described as a deist.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

I'm a Christian who has more in common with a lot of atheists and agnostics than I do others who identify as Christian. I try to follow the teachings of Jesus as I understand them. Complicating matters is the fact that I'm pretty sure he didn't really say everything attributed to him. He died long before any of the New Testament was written. How were the people who wrote the books to remember things accurately for that long. Certainly they also had agendas of their own. When adherents of any religion get too numerous, watch out.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

I think the dominant religion in a particular country or region always, or almost always, does the most harm in that region/country. So Christianity (really, certain varieties of Christianity) does the most harm in the US of any religions; certain varieties of Islam do the most harm in majority Muslim countries; certain varieties of Judaism do the most harm in Israel; etc.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

I voted “negatively” but that’s only because it’s the religion I’m most familiar with and the most likely to affect me.

Of the major world religions, traditional Christianity has the most convoluted and least plausible story to me. God loved the world so much that he sacrificed his only son so that any one who believes in him will be saved from the sin inherited from Adam and Eve, who gave into temptation and disobeyed god by eating a stupid apple that a snake convinced them was okay? People seriously are supposed to accept this as true and beautiful, and not sheer madness? Being pressured for a long time to believe the unbelievable does make me view Christianity negatively.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

I think Christianity is fine, as far as its teachings, and on a par with other religions. However, I think that Christians tend to be more self-righteous, particularly this need to save everybody else.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM

I'm an atheist and voted that I perceive them equally.
There are obviously good and bad on all sides, but lately it seems up here in Canada our government has been siding more with the Muslim faith at the expense of Christianity. It's probably all to do with courting the Muslim/refugee vote.

A few years ago a friend of mine from Michigan was visiting. He's a devote Catholic and on the topic of religion he stated that Catholicism is the only true religion, and that Islam was bound to die out. I just about fell off my chair.
Old Today, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb49 View Post
lately it seems up here in Canada our government has been siding more with the Muslim faith at the expense of Christianity. It's probably all to do with courting the Muslim/refugee vote.
I am not familiar with what the Canadian government is doing right now, but what are they doing to "side with" Islam that is at the expense of Christianity? It is not a zero-sum game.
Old Today, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm very glad I don't live in Saudi Arabia or North Korea and if I did live there, I imagine I would hate the local ideology. But I live in the United States and the local equivalent ideology here is Christianity.
Old Today, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My ancestors in Russia who had to deal with the oh-so-Christian Cossacks might have disagreed with you.
Christianity robbed of much of its power in secular societies is much more benign than when it was dominant. But I'll take most Eastern religions any day.