Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yet ANOTHER picture thread? Trying to revive an online Portrait Gallery

We have had several SDMB poster online portrait scrapbooks in the past, some of you will remember the efforts by Shayna (SDMB People Pages), Opalcat, Max Carnage and probably many others that I forget.

I thought I would try to revive the idea and put up pictures of the posters on a website. I could have chosen something like Flicker but instead I wanted to combine it with a programming exercise to generate the HTML pages so I am hosting it at my small website instead.

The advantage of this method: you don’t need to login or create an account anywhere to put your picture up.

The disadvantage: you would have to e-mail me the picture.

Is anyone interested in contributing a photo?
The gallery would look something like this:
http://www.nouilles.info/sdpix

My recommendations for submissions (open to suggestions) would be:
  • Submit a good quality photo (as big as can fit in an e-mail - I can resize it. I will resize them so that they are at most 800 x 800 pixels)
  • If there are several people in the photo, please indicate which person is you.
  • Please include an approximate date of when the photo was taken (e.g. 2008, Nov 2009) and a description of what is happening in the photo if the photo is an “action shot”. That will make the gallery more interesting.
  • You can send more than one picture if you want. I can include several photos per person.
  • No NSFW pictures please. I personally have no objections to naked people, but we all know that some people do their browsing at work and I don’t want to have to split up the gallery into two sections, the SFW and the NSFW section. Swimsuit photos are OK.
  • If you could also include a link to your SDMB profile or mention your member ID in the e-mail that would save me the trouble of looking it up (I’m including a link to your profile under your photo.)
  • To prevent mischievous scamps from playing tricks on me, it would be handy if you would send me the photos using the e-mail address in your profile. Or if your e-mail address is not public, then send me a PM at the board saying “I’m confirming that the e-mail from xxx@example.com is from me.”
  • Obviously I have no way of checking this, but the gallery will be more interesting if the photo you send me is actually a photo of yourself and not someone else.

What do my fellow posters think? Are these unreasonable restrictions? Is this a viable project?

Anyone interested can send a photo to aw@nouilles.info

I am still working on my program so the photos I receive might not be up for a week or so.

P.S. The mods are OK with this and I hope that they will send their photos.
P.P.S. If you like the idea, PM your friends to send in their photo!