Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
Dude, have you ever applied for a shit job while having a degree and stable work history? I have, and they won't hire you. They'll either tell you you're overqualified or they won't even bother. I ended up having to remove my degree from my resume and dumbing down my experience to get a call back for a part-time assistant job. You can't just apply to work at McDonald's or wherever to make some cash while looking for more viable work.
I've been there too. She has access to a computer and time to post here. Are you suggesting that altering her resume would be too much trouble?

I'm sorry but if I was in the OP shoes, I'd take almost any job to get back on my feet. Reading her response tempered my desire for offering advise. I will second taskrabbit, however.

OP, I do hope your situation improves soon.

Last edited by PlainJain; 04-05-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 PM

There are a few things you can do.

Do a less is more resume to get yourself a job to sustain yourself. You don't need to tell anyone about this job later in your life unless you need security clearance. A simple times were tough and I needed work will suffice. Don't submit the resume in an anon way, walk in the door and talk to anyone you can, even if it is only the receptionist. Maybe stand outside and talk to a couple of smokers on breaks and get the skinny on who needs a what and where. I can't tell you how many people I know who got jobs this way. I hired our newest receptionist after the last one quit without notice, and the next day a well-spoken girl showed up asking if we needed any help; filing, phones, typing. She had a job 15 minutes later.

It's a lot of rejection to your face (which can be tough), but it is also the perfect way to be in the right place at the right time. Receptionist quit yesterday? I'm right here! No agency fee! You try me for a day, you like me, you keep me. If not, no hard feelings. No lengthy hiring process. You would be amazed at what you can talk yourself into with the right presentation and attitude. You have to think on your feet. Be a New Yorker on the inside.

Starting at the bottom is ok because the really good ones rise up quickly. A paycheck will take some of the pressure off and you will be able to breathe.

In the meantime, you need to apply for food stamps. Taking care of your basic health and well being is of paramount importance at this time. You cannot let yourself go. You are your most precious resource and you have to love yourself and treat yourself well, even when it doesn't seem as if the rest of the world is. The way you care for yourself sets the bar for the way others treat you.

You have the ability to claw your way back up from this Hazel, you really do. It's going to take a different mindset than you are used to, and a different approach than the one you normally take, but you can get it done.

UPS always needs package handlers. It's part-time most likely, but it's enough to get you on steady financial ground while you look for something more to your liking.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
Reading her response tempered my desire for offering advise.
Hazel hasn't come back and responded yet.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Do you know the area well? Look up jobs as a courier. No experience necessary, and these places are also always hiring; you just drive around, pick up packages and drop them off. What with the price of gas these days the profit margin can be slim as you generally get paid on a per-delivery basis, but it's something.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Is the depression being treated?

If not, call the United Way. Get yourself into the system and into someone who can prescribe. SSRIs keep me functional. Functional means I can hold a job and pass myself off as a normal contributing human being. While in the system, start finding out what sort of job aid and food aid programs exist.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane
Reading her response tempered my desire for offering advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerInNJ View Post
Hehe.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

my best advice is to offer to clean homes for minimum wage. I did this and soon had more people wanting me to clean than I had time. you can often schedule it for when you want to still keep looking for other work. clean houses, yard work, anything else you can think of to hire out for.

Working for a food place is good too, I delivered pizza and we got a discount on our meals, free pizza occasionally, and tips, cash in my pocket at the end of every shift. not all food places do you get tips but it can be a relief to get that cash.

make sure you let all of your friends know you are looking for work for cash and looking for a job. (network, network)

I really liked Indeed.com when I was looking for work as it pulls from a lot of different sources and compiles the job listings.

Last make sure you are helping your friend who is letting you crash for free in anyway you can. Clean the house, cook the meals, etc.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
She has access to a computer and time to post here.
And based on some of her posts over the past few months, she has time to watch a ton of TV & movies. So lack of time isn't an issue. She also has money for cigarettes, so I'm wondering how penniless she really is.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerInNJ View Post
Yep, obviously I confused the OP with Zebra who seemed to be answering for the OP. Apologies to Hazel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro
Hehe.

Last edited by PlainJain; 04-06-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM

You were the one who embarrassed yourself, not me. So you can roll your eyes all you want.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 AM

You're right of course. Maybe I should go on hiatus until this whole kerfluffle blows over.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina View Post
I can offer you a part-time job for $20-25 per hour. Online by Skype. Will be paid on a daily basis. If interested, please mail to:
Seems legit.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 04-06-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Hazle, since you worked in 2012, you're probably going to get a tax refund, so file your tax return if you haven't already. You might also qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Seems legit.

Sorry to hear this, Hazle. I hope you can get something lined up very quickly.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
Working for a food place is good too, I delivered pizza and we got a discount on our meals, free pizza occasionally, and tips, cash in my pocket at the end of every shift. not all food places do you get tips but it can be a relief to get that cash.
food business is actually pretty good this way. Sit-down restaurants often feed their employees dinner as a rule or allow them to make themselves something when its slow Or when I worked at a deli, I could take home any tuna salad, cole slaw, etc. had to be discarded (after two days due to health code), and I'd score a leftover whole roasted chicken or a couple of cooked sausages from time to time (they cooked them at the beginning of the day to be sold to-go). I asked first of course, but they were fine with it.

Caterers often need servers for events and keep a roster of reliable people they can call. Just call around to every caterer and restaurant in town. Unlike restaurant serving, you don't need great social skills to do a perfectly cromulent job. Its not regular work, but should pay more than minimum and you can score leftovers.

It also occurred to me that this is just about the right time for summer camps to be hiring. Room & board for the summer and some cash in your pocket. It doesn't pay much (In 1997, it was about 2,000 for the summer) but you won't have any living expenses so you'll have it as a nest egg at the end.

the camp I used to attend as a child (and later worked for) is hiring:
http://www.camp-sloane.org/employment.php

You might think they have an absolute preference for college-aged kids but it's not the case. They prefer a mix of ages.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
And based on some of her posts over the past few months, she has time to watch a ton of TV & movies. So lack of time isn't an issue. She also has money for cigarettes, so I'm wondering how penniless she really is.
Probably sleeps eight hours a night like decent working people, too. Bitch!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Moderator Note

Quote:
Seems legit.
I've removed a spammy link/email that you had quoted.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 04-06-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Care.com for tutoring, babysitting, dog walking jobs.

Cool works.com for seasonal jobs in hotels and restaurants in national parks and other beautiful places. Bonus with that one is that they offer employee housing.

I've done both of these things and gotten meaningful experiences and money out of them. Neither requires special education or training. Both beat fast food employment.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

It'd be helpful if we knew what she did/could do/had experience with.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lovely Margo Lane View Post
Oh Hazle, I'm so sorry... We haven't talked in a while, but you have been so sweet to me in the past and I had to de-lurk when I saw this.

This is good advice, but I'd say the "your job is looking for a job" needs to be tempered a bit. I can't imagine being able to fruitfully look for work for more that 3-4 hours a day. It's emotionally exhausting in a way that actual job-work never is, plus there's an upper limit to how many jobs there are in a given market. Instead, I'd say try to spend at least 2 and up to 4 hours daily on "get a job" tasks, and another 3-5 on concrete "make my life better/preserve existing resources" type things. For example, going to the food bank and/or applying for food stamps is a time consuming yet valuable thing that can count toward your daily accomplishments. Also, if you're putting in resumes and calling potential employers 8 hours a day, when are you supposed to volunteer?

If you haven't already, you might take a stroll back through Broomstick's threads from her journey through unemployment. A lot of really interesting and potentially useful stuff there, as I recall.

Finally, this is your life. It's a sucky time in your life though, and you're not a bad person or a waste-oid or any of that. You are still you, and you will live through this and come out the other side.
Thank you very much. It's good to hear from you.

Everyone else: there is so much to respond to that I'm not sure where to begin. Thank you for the good advice that's been offered. I'm sorry for not responding but I had a lot of tv to watch and cigarettes to smoke. My best friend has stepped in and is holding me accountable, which is a positive thing. I hate the idea of "dumbing" down my resume' but, as others have pointed out, it may be necessary. My main concern now is immediate cash. I apologize, but I can't really form a very cohesive response right now. I thank you all for your advice and your patience. Don't give up on me.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Dude, have you ever applied for a shit job while having a degree and stable work history? I have, and they won't hire you. They'll either tell you you're overqualified or they won't even bother. I ended up having to remove my degree from my resume and dumbing down my experience to get a call back for a part-time assistant job. You can't just apply to work at McDonald's or wherever to make some cash while looking for more viable work.
Yep. Creating a different version of my resume' tomorrow. I like you very much.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Wonder no more. Movies and tv are free. I am a voracious reader, as well. And yes, denial is happening. My final pack of cigarettes is on the coffee table and I have about a hundred dollars in my checking account. I am a good and intelligent person and I'm just trying to find my way back.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
It'd be helpful if we knew what she did/could do/had experience with.
B.A. from U of I (long ago) in English Lit. with a minor in Art History. Past jobs: Technical Writer, Marketing Coordinator, Account Executive, Office Manager, Nanny. In a nutshell.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 AM

You can't make this shit up. Someone has hacked into my checking account and now I have thirteen dollars. Hope they enjoyed their spree at Dollar General and Krogers (which we don't even have here.) I give up. There's no getting my money back, is there? Sorry for the pity party, but, c'mon. Someone with the technology chooses MY account? Nice work.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
You can't make this shit up. Someone has hacked into my checking account and now I have thirteen dollars. Hope they enjoyed their spree at Dollar General and Krogers (which we don't even have here.) I give up. There's no getting my money back, is there? Sorry for the pity party, but, c'mon. Someone with the technology chooses MY account? Nice work.
Someone accessing your bank account online without clearance or your passcodes is pretty unusual. I'd talk to the bank before assuming the money is lost.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Someone accessing your bank account online without clearance or your passcodes is pretty unusual. I'd talk to the bank before assuming the money is lost.
Somebody may have gotten her debit card number via an unsecured online transaction or hacked retail site, an unscrupulous cashier, a skimmer, any number of ways. I wouldn't assume it was the bank's website.

Call your bank immediately. The fact that the money was spent at a store you don't have locally might help your case.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:12 AM

Call your bank immediately to report it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
Unemployment works differently in the States. It's an employer insurance plan and it only pays if you are laid off. If you're fired for cause, or leave on your own, you don't get any.
Just to be clear, the "cause" has to be an approved cause. It's possible to be fired for something the employer thinks is cause but the government thinks is not.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 04-07-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Some one had hacked my bank account and bought music from I-tunes, I tunes wouldn't talk to me without telling them what Apple devices I owned and since none was not an option, I turned it over to my bank. I had to fill out a bunch of forms, cancelled my debit card and got a new one and eventually got my money back. Talk to your bank as soon as possible.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You can't make this shit up. Someone has hacked into my checking account and now I have thirteen dollars. Hope they enjoyed their spree at Dollar General and Krogers (which we don't even have here.) I give up. There's no getting my money back, is there? .
Yes, there is. Stop wallowing and call the bank. NOW.

My debit card was recently used for fraudulent debits to my checking account (in Miami, where I do not live, to put it mildly) and everything was returned to me after a short investigation.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Absolutely you can get your money back. Call your bank. They have a whole fraud department to help.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Like the others said - there absolutely is, but you need to report it now. Your bank has a toll-free number to deal with this, and may even let you deal with it online. There doesn't have to be a police investigation and criminal caught and successful arrest or anything; the bank will move forward on getting the money back to you ASAP and will walk you through what needs to happen.

Don't let your depression double-victimize you on this.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Yup. I've even gotten money back on charges that I authorized when I paid for a service not performed. I argued with the vendor 100 times, they wouldn't give me my money back, so I let my bank argue with them and finally got a refund. As shitty as most banks are, they're usually pretty good at returning stolen money to you.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM

How does a stolen debit card get used at a Dollar General or a Krogers? You'd have to have a physical card to use in person. Someone explain to me how this is even possible.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
How does a stolen debit card get used at a Dollar General or a Krogers? You'd have to have a physical card to use in person. Someone explain to me how this is even possible.
My stolen number was also used at physical stores, gas stations, etc. despite the fact I never lost my physical card. The charges were sequential down the east cost, the person seems to have gone on a road trip to Miami.

My understanding is it is not difficult to make the cards themselves and load stolen numbers on them. They will "test" a card with small purchases before moving on to larger ones. Unfortunately, Hazle has very little money so even a small fraudulent charge is devastating.

Last edited by Hello Again; 04-07-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Dollar General has an online store. I don't know about Kroger. Maybe they work there, or convinced a young employee there to just punch in the number?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM

Online, I was able to cancel the card and report it stolen, but I won't be able to talk to a real person until tomorrow morning. Not to worry, I'm not wallowing. It's almost freeing to be at the absolute bottom. Next destination? Up. My immediate need, obviously, is money. Even if I had a job starting tomorrow (which I do not,) I would not receive a paycheck until a week from Friday. Fortunately, as I mentioned, I have paid my bills for the month and I had just gone to the store. Thank you for the advice/support and for listening.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Online, I was able to cancel the card and report it stolen, but I won't be able to talk to a real person until tomorrow morning. Not to worry, I'm not wallowing. It's almost freeing to be at the absolute bottom. Next destination? Up. My immediate need, obviously, is money. Even if I had a job starting tomorrow (which I do not,) I would not receive a paycheck until a week from Friday. Fortunately, as I mentioned, I have paid my bills for the month and I had just gone to the store. Thank you for the advice/support and for listening.
Donate plasma.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Wow, I'm literally stunned that your bank does not offer 24 hour customer service for fraud. Not at the branch level, but at the corporate level - a 24 hour toll-free phone number? There isn't one on the back of your bank card? You need a new bank.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Did you use your debit card at Schnucks? They had a massive security breach recently; many customers had their card information stolen.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fachverwirrt View Post
Did you use your debit card at Schnucks? They had a massive security breach recently; many customers had their card information stolen.
Yes. Yes I did. How did that not even occur to me? And, yes, there is an 800 number, but my most immediate concern was getting the card shut down, which I did. I'd rather meet with someone face-to-face, documents in hand first thing tomorrow morning. I assume there will be paperwork and I'd rather just sit down with an actual person.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yes. Yes I did. How did that not even occur to me? And, yes, there is an 800 number, but my most immediate concern was getting the card shut down, which I did. I'd rather meet with someone face-to-face, documents in hand first thing tomorrow morning. I assume there will be paperwork and I'd rather just sit down with an actual person.
Do whatever works for you, but honestly this happened to me in December and in about 6 minutes of conversation on the phone to verify which purchases were mine and which were not they immediately put the money back in my account. It is a very simple process and the bank is generally happy to help.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM

You don't have to do anything in person. I've twice disputed charges with my bank and it was all pretty simple. I didn't have to go into a branch, there weren't any retina eye scans, you don't need a whole shitload of documents. One bank made me fill out a pretty simple form, and with the other, I just talked on the phone for a few minutes and the bad charges went away. Seriously, most banks suck, but retrieving stolen money is the one thing you can call a phone banker for and not want to pull your hair out by the end of it.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:35 PM

My debit card was used for online purchases totaling almost $800. I was alerted to it by the bank.

They know I don't shop online that often. I did go to the bank and they gave me the amounts and

places my digits were used. One was a shoe company. I called Sperry and the clerk gave me the

address to where the shoes were shipped. Next stop was to the Sheriffs dept to file a police report.

I had an address in MN where merchandise was sent, I live in FL. I don't know what the bank or

police did but my money was returned very quickly and a new card issued. Good Luck!

Last edited by Buttercup Smith; 04-07-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM

I finally reached an actual person. I have to wait until the charges actually go through; right now, they're still pending. She said it would probably be Tuesday or Wednesday. At that point I need to go to my local branch and fill out an affidavit. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Do you have anything you can sell or pawn for short-term cash?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Do you have anything you can sell or pawn for short-term cash?
I don't, actually. I do have a ton of vintage Interview magazines and books, but had no luck. Perhaps I'll revisit this. Unfortunately, they're deep in storage right now.

I do have my day planned out for tomorrow. I'm contacting six different temp agencies and I hope to set up at least three interviews in the next couple of days. I'm dropping off resume's at two different childcare/tutoring places and contacting a former employer and a friend who works at a textbook publishing company. I've already done more this afternoon than I have in recent days, thanks to some motivation/accountability from/to my best friend.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I don't, actually. I do have a ton of vintage Interview magazines and books, but had no luck. Perhaps I'll revisit this. Unfortunately, they're deep in storage right now.

I do have my day planned out for tomorrow. I'm contacting six different temp agencies and I hope to set up at least three interviews in the next couple of days. I'm dropping off resume's at two different childcare/tutoring places and contacting a former employer and a friend who works at a textbook publishing company. I've already done more this afternoon than I have in recent days, thanks to some motivation/accountability from/to my best friend.
How did things go yesterday, Hazle? Any luck with your bank?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Hooray for a loving shove! I hope you're feeling head and shoulders above the frustrations of the other day.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Thanks, NC and Lorene. I should have the bank thing cleared up tomorrow when the sixth transaction has posted. Unfortunately, I'll still only have 130 dollars in my account. But I'm optimistic about finding something in the next couple of weeks. Desperation is a scary but effective motivator.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Good Luck to you!