Old 08-22-2019, 09:52 PM

Another update

I haven't wanted to talk about it because it really hit me hard but on July 4th I went to work and everybody was perfectly fine. When I came home Turquoise aka Deadbeat Dad was laying on the bottom of the cage, barely conscious and twitching. I picked him up and held him and he was dead within minutes. I have no idea what the hell happened. He seemed like the healthiest of them all.

But a very odd thing happened after. In addition to very obviously mourning, the other three became absolutely terrified of me. I mean they would flee in panic if I just changed the water - something that I've done multiple times a day every day of their lives. I thought they would get over it but this went on for weeks and weeks. All day, every day, all they do is sit, silently. They don't sing, don't play, I can't offer them treats because they flee in panic, flying into walls trying to get away.

I already struggle with depression and anxiety and this has been a significant burden. I have issues fitting in with people and making friends and they are my buddies. The loss of their friendship has brought me to tears many times over the last two months.

Until today. It's like they just snapped out of it. They seem almost back to normal. Playing, singing, sitting on my shoulder, looking out the window.

Maybe they thought that I killed Turquoise? I've been hurt and angry about it. I know it sounds very silly but I felt betrayed by them. I raised them and saved their lives on numerous occasions. I've taken such good care of them.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I had gotten to the point where I'd given up on them. So fingers crossed that they're back to normal again.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 PM

I'm sorry. Perhaps they were also mourning? I've had pets who became withdrawn and lethargic after another pet died. I'm glad they're feeling better and that you have your companions back.

*hugs*
Old 08-22-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
I haven't wanted to talk about it because it really hit me hard but on July 4th I went to work and everybody was perfectly fine. When I came home Turquoise aka Deadbeat Dad was laying on the bottom of the cage, barely conscious and twitching. I picked him up and held him and he was dead within minutes. I have no idea what the hell happened. He seemed like the healthiest of them all.

But a very odd thing happened after. In addition to very obviously mourning, the other three became absolutely terrified of me. I mean they would flee in panic if I just changed the water - something that I've done multiple times a day every day of their lives. I thought they would get over it but this went on for weeks and weeks. All day, every day, all they do is sit, silently. They don't sing, don't play, I can't offer them treats because they flee in panic, flying into walls trying to get away.

I already struggle with depression and anxiety and this has been a significant burden. I have issues fitting in with people and making friends and they are my buddies. The loss of their friendship has brought me to tears many times over the last two months.

Until today. It's like they just snapped out of it. They seem almost back to normal. Playing, singing, sitting on my shoulder, looking out the window.

Maybe they thought that I killed Turquoise? I've been hurt and angry about it. I know it sounds very silly but I felt betrayed by them. I raised them and saved their lives on numerous occasions. I've taken such good care of them.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I had gotten to the point where I'd given up on them. So fingers crossed that they're back to normal again.
Oh, poor Turquoise and your feathered family; what a sad time for all of you! I'm glad for you that they've come around, they hold our hearts.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Awwwww..... poor li'l tweeties and poor big flightless birdy .

I'm glad the others finally realized you were their friend again.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:11 AM

That's rough! I have read that birds can grieve for days or weeks, and perhaps they did somehow associate you with his death? So if they were distraught about him they were naturally scared of you. Done grieving for their friend, they forget about you as a "threat".
Old 08-23-2019, 03:39 AM

I don't think it would be silly at all, to feel hurt and even betrayed. I'm glad they're back to singing and playing, and hanging out with you!
Old 08-23-2019, 06:36 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

I’d feel the same way... not silly at all.

I wonder if something scary happened right before Turquoise died and when you came it they associated it with you? Cats can do that- if they get badly scared and see their owners they’ll transfer their fear and panic onto them.

I’m so glad the little sweeties and happier now, and that so are you.

Sorry about Turquoise <3

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 08-23-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Thank you - it's been rough.

Every morning, when I get them up for the day, they've been running to the backs of the cages and then exploding out, once the doors are open, to get away from me. It's been heartbreaking.

I was a bit nervous this morning, wondering if they'd be normal today or what. So I said my usual "good morning budgies!" and lifted my hand to the top of the cage and Aqua reached through the bars to nibble on my finger. So I guess they're over it?? Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I wonder if something scary happened right before Turquoise died and when you came it they associated it with you?
It must be this. They think I did whatever it was that happened. Something might have happened just before I got home so they were right in the middle of it.