Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 PM

My DIL hates searing food

She supposedly knows the basics of cooking food but she never had a family member had a family member teach her, but of course she would never take any advice to improve her cooking because 'thats how shes always done it'.

She never sears food. It's disgusting.

Hamburgers are a bland grey and if lucky not still cold in the middle. Chicken is bland and impotent. She just take raw food and puts it in the oven to boil in its own excretions or "fries it" over low heat. I have actually had to put food back on the stove because it is raw inside. I wish I could get her to understand that heat is your friend when cooking.

OK, time to eat some chicken breasts that she put in the oven raw with some BBQ sauce on it. Wish me luck and they actually are cooked through.

ETA: She boiled some roasted corn. Of all of the ways to cook it and she boiled it. Why you ask? She wanted to make it like canned corn.

Last edited by Saint Cad; 08-15-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:15 PM

She roasted corn and then boiled it? Why do you eat any food she cooks anymore?
Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Is she a techy type? You can get her a fancy programmable probe thermometer with boops and beeps to hopefully solve the "the raw inside" part of the problem. For the rest, It honestly sounds like she is taste blind, and just can't tell the difference between good food and bad if the Maillard reaction vs bland boiling side-by-side gets no preference.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
She roasted corn and then boiled it? Why do you eat any food she cooks anymore?
My thoughts exactly. With the availability of Food Network, YouTube videos, and online instructions, there's really no excuse for DIL's lack of basic skill except laziness.

We had a neighbor who was a total failure in the kitchen. We ate at their house twice, then found excuses never to do so again. Under-cooked vegetable lasagna. I don't even see the point of vegetable lasagna, let alone having to try to plow through tough veggies and under-cooked pasta.

And Thanksgiving turkey. How do you fuck that up? Well, for starters, you stew it in a roasting pan with the lid on.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:32 PM

Oh, my.
My DIL knows recipes for 1000 casseroles. Since she has taken me on as a special project I get treated to a serving of them most days. Sometimes they're okay. Sometimes it's garbage. I thank her and accept it. And usually I try to eat it. As my family has grown up and Mr.Wrekker is gone alot I don't necessarily want to cook. That, and I'm a lazy ass.
OP you won't change her cooking habits. I wouldn't eat raw chicken, ever. Maybe take over cooking, if you're able.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
OP you won't change her cooking habits. I wouldn't eat raw chicken, ever. Maybe take over cooking, if you're able.
Of course you can change her cooking habits - "I'm not eating the food you prepare because it's not good. I'll teach you some basics so you can make better food"

If she doesn't accept that, just say "I'm not eating anything you cook anymore, because it just doesn't taste good"
Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Manson, I've found out dealing with a DIL and a SIL for a number of years they usually come already grown with their own ideas of how things should be. I'm not stepping in that trap. But, I still wouldn't eat raw chicken.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:11 PM

Why let your son eat that crap? He can't be happy with it.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
He is because if he doesn't have to cook it he's cool with it. Seriously! We rotate chores and if he has to cook even once in the week he gets all pissed off and pouty and rants how it's so unfair that he has to cook and he doesn't want to (like the rest of us want to do dishes and clean the kitchen?) She didn't roast it, it was frozen roasted corn and she was upset we didn't have canned corn so she boiled it.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
We rotate chores
Does that mean each of you take a turn at cooking on a regular basis? If so, how does everyone react to what you cook?

I don't think it is even possible to suggest approaches for dealing with the situation (assuming you even want ideas and weren't just venting) without knowing the answer.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 PM

We roll for chores so it is somewhat random. Usually my son trades chores with my DIL so he doesn't have to cook. They love what I cook but then again I was taught by my mom and my aunt.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
She didn't roast it, it was frozen roasted corn and she was upset we didn't have canned corn so she boiled it.
What is the proper preparation for frozen roasted corn? Thaw it, and serve it on a plate?
Old 08-16-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
She supposedly knows the basics of cooking food but she never had a family member had a family member teach her, but of course she would never take any advice to improve her cooking because 'thats how shes always done it'.

Hamburgers are a bland grey and if lucky not still cold in the middle. Chicken is bland and impotent. She just take raw food and puts it in the oven to boil in its own excretions or "fries it" over low heat. I have actually had to put food back on the stove because it is raw inside. I wish I could get her to understand that heat is your friend when cooking.

OK, time to eat some chicken breasts that she put in the oven raw with some BBQ sauce on it. Wish me luck and they actually are cooked through.

ETA: She boiled some roasted corn. Of all of the ways to cook it and she boiled it. Why you ask? She wanted to make it like canned corn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
I feel like I'm reading a thread from the 50's...
Old 08-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
He is because if he doesn't have to cook it he's cool with it. Seriously! We rotate chores and if he has to cook even once in the week he gets all pissed off and pouty and rants how it's so unfair that he has to cook and he doesn't want to (like the rest of us want to do dishes and clean the kitchen?) She didn't roast it, it was frozen roasted corn and she was upset we didn't have canned corn so she boiled it.
Is he 12 years old? They sound like a matched set.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:35 AM

My guess is that she sort of winged it until she got where she is, and really doesn't have a clue that she doesn't

You'll have an uphill battle trying to teach her another way unless you can make her think that learning was her idea. And if she's satisfied with the crap food she cooks, that may be a hard sell as well. Some people just don't like food or cooking and would eat Bachelor Chow 3 meals a day if they could.

My suggestion is that maybe you figure out what she likes, and cook/serve her a GOOD version of it, and suggest that while you could give her the recipe, it would be better to show her how, because there are some 'tricks'.

Last edited by bump; 08-16-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
I feel like I'm reading a thread from the 50's...
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy
Is he 12 years old? They sound like a matched set.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump
. . . Some people just don't like food or cooking and would eat Bachelor Chow 3 meals a day if they could.
And this

If one person in the household cannot cook (or at least not to your liking) and one refuses to, perhaps you all need to divide the chores up a different way and leave it "every man for himself" when it comes to meals.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I bake chicken breasts this way, 350 degrees for half an hour and they turn out perfect. Not a fan of barbecue sauce though.

My husband cooks all foods, by all methods, at only one temperature: full blast! And it actually works very well for the most part.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "sears food," but I'd wager I don't do it either.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM

Based on the other descriptions I think he means the bits which are dark brown but not burned. Like how when you grill a steak on an actual grill, there are dark lines. It's one of the biggest differences between boiling a red meat in oil and frying/grilling it: if you've just cooked it at temperatures which barely reach that of boiling water (if they do get that high at all), it doesn't get the dark bits. 1.Bro had a worse time getting his MiL to learn to Actually Cook (she would have been perfectly happy to boil roasted corn) than getting his wife to learn to cook (she came completely untrained but will not take advice from people talking to her, only follow books).

Last edited by Nava; 08-16-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I'm not completely sure what you mean by "sears food," but I'd wager I don't do it either.
I meant to add this. That's a pretty specific, ant not exactly essential aspect of preparing most food.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't eat raw chicken, ever.
I tried chicken sashimi once out of curiosity. The meat used came from deep within the breast for safety reasons. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I'll try it again if I come across it again.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I used to eat raw hamburger when I was a kid. Good stuff!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Manson, I've found out dealing with a DIL and a SIL for a number of years they usually come already grown with their own ideas of how things should be. I'm not stepping in that trap. But, I still wouldn't eat raw chicken.
Fair enough. I wouldn't eat raw chicken either.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
It's food that has gone bankrupt.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Ah yes, another Saint Cad thread about strange family cooking/eating dynamics was niggling at the back of my mind, and there it is.

I dunno man, your household has some weird shit going on when it comes to food prep and consumption. If I were you, I'd probably volunteer to take on all the cooking in exchange for not doing some of the other, less desirable household chores, and I'd make giant vats of chicken stew, curried lentils, beef chili, and assorted casseroles every few days and leave it at that.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
What is the proper preparation for frozen roasted corn? Thaw it, and serve it on a plate?
Bake it in the oven with a little oil and salt and pepper until hot.
Put it with some butter in a bowl, cover in saran wrap and microwave it. Hot buttered steam corn.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I'd probably volunteer to take on all the cooking in exchange for not doing some of the other, less desirable household chores, and I'd make giant vats of chicken stew, curried lentils, beef chili, and assorted casseroles every few days and leave it at that.
I would love that. But everyone bitches "I don't like chili" or "I don't like soup if the temp is over 60 degrees", "Or I don't like casseroles" etc. The bizarre thing is the only one who actually appreciates the effort I put into making delicious, somewhat healthy, meals is the DIL who hardly every eats my food because of her weird work schedule and she'd rather eat the crap processed amusement-park-level food at her work than take a meal with her.

As for the ketchup issue, the son still puts ketchup on everything. I told him the ground rules are that I won't complain about him putting ketchup all over the plate and he can't bitch about what I cook for him or how I cook it. Since he doesn't have to cook that night it works out for both of us. But I'll still be damned if I going to buy him a grass-fed bone-in ribeye if it is only going to be the vehicle for him getting ketchup in his ketchup-hole.

Last edited by Saint Cad; 08-16-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I tried chicken sashimi once out of curiosity. The meat used came from deep within the breast for safety reasons. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I'll try it again if I come across it again.
Same exact experience. Never had heard of it, and it kind of looked like yellow tail on the plate. Not bad at all, but great would be a stretch.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Ah yes, another Saint Cad thread about strange family cooking/eating dynamics was niggling at the back of my mind, and there it is.

I dunno man, your household has some weird shit going on when it comes to food prep and consumption...
From that other thread:
Quote:
23? Should be cooking for himself. Or does he pay board?
Quote:
Why the fuck are you cooking for a 23 year old?
Quote:
You got two problems here - a 23 year old adolescent stepson and a wife who is allowing her 23 year old son to act in such an ungrateful way. The hard and fast rule in my house - if you want to complain about my cooking, you are more than welcome to cook your own damned food. I don't get paid enough to listen to someone bitching about the food I put effort into while they sat on their asses.
ETA: I agree with you about drenching everything I cook in ketchup - that is indeed an insult to the cook.
I just checked, and that thread was over half a decade ago... so they should be more mature now (operative word, should), you should have stood up for yourself by now, and I feel horrible that you've been putting yourself through this hell for years.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a slow-cooking method where you order your food out of a catalog at the general store and wait several weeks for it to be delivered via steam locomotive.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:32 AM

I gotta wonder if she grew up using a microwave as a cooking device, instead of a heating device. Sure you can 'cook' in a microwave, but it will turn out mostly without any sear.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
It's a slow-cooking method where you order your food out of a catalog at the general store and wait several weeks for it to be delivered via steam locomotive.
Don't even get me started... My SIL once Roebucked a turkey at Thanksgiving. There is a reason that Sears is more recognized and Roebuck is an afterthought.

Last edited by Spud; 08-17-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I meant to add this. That's a pretty specific, ant not exactly essential aspect of preparing most food.
I've seared a lot of food accidentally. Once so badly I had to throw out the entire batch of pasta with the pot I had seared it in.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 AM

There is some stewed chicken that sat on the stove overnight that was reheated and served at a dinner party by a friend. That's seared in my memory.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Maybe give her a gift card for a nice cooking class for Christmas.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what the problem is here. Of course the chicken will be raw before you put it in the oven.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I have no idea what the problem is here. Of course the chicken will be raw before you put it in the oven.
Yup. Seems to me the description is of baked chicken with a sauce. IMO fine if you happen to like the particular sauce, which presumably the DIL does.

Baking chicken, whether with or without a sauce, is a perfectly reasonable way to cook it. If the OP only likes chicken with burn marks on it, that's up to them. If the DIL doesn't like chicken with burn marks on it, that's up to the DIL. If the son would just like to eat dinner without having to take sides in the matter, I've got considerable sympathy for him. If the OP doesn't like their DIL's cooking or vice versa, well, this is a thing that sometimes happens. But there are lots of different cooking styles, and as long as the food's not hazardous to eat when it's done*, none of them are wrong.

(There actually seems to currently be a little bit of evidence that those grill/sear marks aren't good for you; but I think at this point it's more in the category of 'if you try to eat according to the reuslts of all studies that get into the news you'll wind up unable to eat anything, which would definitely not be good for you.' )
Old 08-17-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Baking chicken, whether with or without a sauce, is a perfectly reasonable way to cook it. If the OP only likes chicken with burn marks on it, that's up to them.
Searing food is browning it - not burning it.
Quote:
'Searing' is cooking the surface of a piece of meat at a high temperature until well browned. This technique enhances the flavour of the meat,
Old 08-17-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Yup. Seems to me the description is of baked chicken with a sauce. IMO fine if you happen to like the particular sauce, which presumably the DIL does.

Baking chicken, whether with or without a sauce, is a perfectly reasonable way to cook it.
You missed the point that it is everything. Hamburgers? No sear. Steaks? No sear. Chicken in a skillet? No sear. Everything cooked on medium-low boiled in their own juices until (hopefully) not raw.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Searing food is browning it - not burning it.
So? Some people still prefer to bake it without browning it first. What's the problem?

Dear lord, save me from foodies.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:21 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Of course you can change her cooking habits - "I'm not eating the food you prepare because it's not good. I'll teach you some basics so you can make better food"

If she doesn't accept that, just say "I'm not eating anything you cook anymore, because it just doesn't taste good"

"And it is literally dangerous to eat what you have undercooked."
Old 08-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Searing food [/URL]is browning it - not burning it.
"Burned" is a bit of an exaggeration, yes; I'm aware you don't mean burned to a crisp. I have certainly run into "seared" food that had what looked and tasted to me like burn marks across it, however.

And possibly the DIL doesn't like the flavor of the browned crust that searing is supposed to provide. "Improves the flavor" is a subjective thing.

Quote:
You missed the point that it is everything. Hamburgers? No sear. Steaks? No sear. Chicken in a skillet? No sear. Everything cooked on medium-low boiled in their own juices until (hopefully) not raw.
I didn't miss it. I noticed that your posts read as if you want everything seared, and as if your DIL wants nothing seared. And I was responding to a specific post that appears to say that it's wrong that a particular baked chicken recipe your DIL is making didn't involve searing.

Why don't the two of you just eat different things? That would involve more cooking; but it seems to me much simpler, and maybe more to the point more possible, to cook separately than to try to force either one of you to like what the other one likes.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
My husband cooks all foods, by all methods, at only one temperature: full blast! And it actually works very well for the most part.
Ugh.

My husband cooks this way. I have told him over and over and over (and over) that a high burner doesn't make food cook faster. It makes food BURN faster!

~VOW
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Dearest OP:

If you were a mere visitor to your son's home, I'd tell you to eat before going over there.

But now I realize you three live under the same roof. It sounds like neither of them gives a good damn about decent edibles. If you wish to eat anything other than cold cereal at home, I suggest you take over cooking duties.

HOWEVER, insist Thing One and Thing Two do all clean up!

And if you are the one who winds uo shopping, make sure they fork over some cash!

~VOW
Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 PM

Buy her a slow cooker. Be trendy. Be flat-earther insistent about it being he only way to cook.

Terminology may be a problem. I associate searing as often being nearly burnt on the outside and too raw for my tastes on the inside.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Just the thought of it...

Quote:
Fair enough. I wouldn't eat raw chicken either.
Neither would I. Are you serious about chicken sashimi? Who thought up that one? I love sashimi, but only if it comes from seep sea fish.

As for raw chicken, well, undercooked chicken is bad enough. In 1981 I was in South Korea and after a week i was tired of being seared internally by all the chili. I like chili, but not for breakfast as well. So I decided to cool down and have some fried chicken. It seemed a bit pink, especially near the bone, but I ate it anyway. Big mistake. I spent the next 36 hours within leaping distance or porcelain, alternatively - and sometimes simultaneously - chucking up from both ends. I have never ever been so ill from food poisoning, and I say this after a trip to Nepal, hygiene capital of the entire world.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

This thread confuses me. Is it about the need to sear food, or is it about someone who's a bad cook? You can be a good cook and never sear anything too.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
You can be a good cook and never sear anything too.
And vice versa.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Neither would I. Are you serious about chicken sashimi? Who thought up that one?
I had it at a Japanese restaurant in the Caribbean. I've also had, and really enjoyed the German dish Mett, which is minced raw pork. I had Mett served with good, fresh bread and diced onion.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
This thread confuses me. Is it about the need to sear food, or is it about someone who's a bad cook? You can be a good cook and never sear anything too.
It's seems the bigger issue to me is the undercooked food. Whether or not something is seared first won't changed that.

Get her a good instant read thermometer and show her how to use that.