Old 08-18-2019, 04:29 PM

So, My Retirement is Over

As of this past Monday, I am now once again gainfully employed. It happened fast, too!

Long story short, I connected with someone on LinkedIn who put me in touch with a local someone else who forwarded my resume over to another person. This third person (a recruiter at a staffing agency) contacted me for a position which I was very interested in, but I think they were further along in the process by the time I got in the pipeline because they didn't call me.

It put the organization top of mind for me, though, so I started looking to see if there were other opportunities. Fortunately, one popped in my hometown!

At first, I contacted the staffing agency recruiter to tell him I was interested, and he said well, he was getting an OOO from HR, they weren't returning his calls, blah blah blah.

Sunday evening I said screw it, and applied directly online on the company's website.

Monday afternoon HR calls me to schedule an interview for 9 am Wednesday.

The interview was over by 9:45 and by 2:20 I had an offer!

So, as of August 12, I am now working as an account representative for OneBlood. It is my job to get people on the Big Red Bus to donate blood.

I am so excited! This is a fantastic organization doing literally life-saving work and I am so honored to be a part of it.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:44 PM

My congratulations. I hope the job is everything you hope it will be.

Me? I'm 66, retired and have no particular desire to go back to work. YMMV.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:52 PM

I'm a bit young for retirement and Og forbid anything happened to Ivylad before I could tap into my 401k. This way we can put the final polish on our funds.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
So, as of August 12, I am now working as an account representative for OneBlood. It is my job to get people on the Big Red Bus to donate blood.

I am so excited! This is a fantastic organization doing literally life-saving work and I am so honored to be a part of it.
Congrats! And here is an absolutely true story that could help your recruiting. Blood donation saved my life - as a donor. I donated at least twice a year ever since college. I went in to donate and got rejected, for the first time in over 35 years, for a fluttery pulse. I had a lot of Mountain Dew for lunch, and I thought it was that, so I went to my doctor (my checkup was 2 weeks before) to get a note allowing me to donate. Turned out I had Atrial Fibrillation. I'm on a blood thinner and I'm fine, but I could have keeled over at any moment if the blood center people hadn't taken my pulse.
Can't donate any more, alas, but I can cheerlead.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:13 PM

That's an amazing story, Voyager! So they literally saved your life!

OneBlood also has a research facility and a milk bank so breast-feeding moms can donate milk for preemies. Such a cool organization!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Have fun! enjoy yourself. You can now be in the "take this job and shove it" mindset if you decide it's not for you.

StG
Old 08-18-2019, 05:42 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Congrats!! Sounds like an exciting opportunity - I'm really happy for you!!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
That's an amazing story, Voyager! So they literally saved your life!

OneBlood also has a research facility and a milk bank so breast-feeding moms can donate milk for preemies. Such a cool organization!
That's wonderful too. Enjoy your not-retirement!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

ivylass, congratulations! As others have said, you are in a life saving business.

Also, thanks for those documents you sent me, I'm looking them over.

Do you mind if I include a link here to a story about an Australian man, a blood donor? His name is James Harrison, and he and I have one thing in common, a dislike of needles. I, like he, have never seen the needle in my arm. But he's WAY ahead of me in donations.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/healt...rnd/index.html
Old 08-18-2019, 07:25 PM

Congratulations! Thatís great news, Iím glad something worked out for you!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Congratulations! That is AWESOME!
Old 08-18-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Yayyy!!! Congratulations IvyLass!!!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:08 PM

I dunno... I retired two days ago, and already had a friend trying to get me to give it up for a huge lucrative freelance project.

I could use the money, and I really want to help my friend, who's in over his head with this client. So I downloaded a ton of deep background, learned everything about the client, and... it's over my head as well.

They wanted to hire me because I'm a smartypants. But if I can't understand what this client should be doing, I'm not surprised that they can't either.

So, I bowed out. I feel terrible disappointing a friend, but I doubt we would've ended up friends after we ultimately couldn't actually help the client. (Oh, and getting paid would've been tricky)

I celebrated by walking to a pokť place, then having a beer at a local boathouse. No regrets... ahhhh, freedom.
So big congrats to you, ivylass, but I'm still retired!

Last edited by digs; 08-18-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 AM

Congrats to you, ivylass!!! I'm curious, if you are willing to share, how the compensation works....do you get paid based on how many people you recruit to donate or is it a straight salary? How much does such a position pay?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:31 PM

Baker, that's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

Enola, I get a salary plus a bonus for every month my area meets its goals. I am already chomping at the bit...there are SO many places around here that would be perfect for a blood drive that aren't even partnered with us yet. For instance we have a local winery and they have events regularly that are a huge draw.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Congratulations!

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-21-2019, 02:51 PM

Ivylass, that sounds wonderful, I’m so happy for you!
Old 08-21-2019, 03:42 PM

Whoo...signing up high school kids is both easy and tough. One teenager asked why we took blood. I explained people who have cancer and people in car accidents may need blood. She said, "So you take blood from people to put in other people?" Um, yeah, that's how it works (with numerous steps in between, of course.) I think she was a little appalled (and from what I could tell, under the minimum weight anyway.)
Old 08-21-2019, 05:23 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Makes one wonder what she thought happened to the blood.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Whoo...signing up high school kids is both easy and tough. One teenager asked why we took blood. I explained people who have cancer and people in car accidents may need blood. She said, "So you take blood from people to put in other people?" Um, yeah, that's how it works (with numerous steps in between, of course.) I think she was a little appalled (and from what I could tell, under the minimum weight anyway.)

Mom is a retired Hospice Nurse and has worked Red Cross Blood Drives for many years, volunteering up front with Registration. Ooooh, the questions people ask her !

Congrats on this situation. It's not a job, it's a calling.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:17 PM

I am eager to learn who can donate, medication-wise. I was learning how to recruit outside a Walmart on Friday (Basically, letting people know they'd get a $10 gift card to Wally World for donating at that Big Red Bus parked right over yonder) and one guy said he had high blood pressure. My trainer told him donating blood could actually help (which makes sense if you think about it) with blood pressure.

According to her, people taking 90% of the medications can still donate. Pregnant women can't, obviously. I'll learn more about all that next week. I did get one young man who may have been homeless on the bus...we saw him when we drove in, carrying a plastic bag and just hanging out. He seemed okay (not strung out or anything) and I was glad to get him out of the Florida heat for a bit and give him some juice and cookies. Plus, with the gift card, he may have been able to get a few supplies. (Heartbreakingly, he asked me if he would get the gift card right away.)

Last edited by ivylass; 08-24-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:15 AM

Congratulations ivylass! I have over 100 donations and am closing in on 200. Your new company is doing great work. Saving many lives. And thank you for the docs you sent me. Through LinkedIn, I landed a job with a company that treats people with brain tumors ó noninvasive brain surgery; Zap Surgical, https://zapsurgical.com/. It is rewarding work, itís a privilege to work there. Iím less than 10 years from retirement and am polishing off my retirement savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
ivylass, congratulations! As others have said, you are in a life saving business.

Also, thanks for those documents you sent me, I'm looking them over.

Do you mind if I include a link here to a story about an Australian man, a blood donor? His name is James Harrison, and he and I have one thing in common, a dislike of needles. I, like he, have never seen the needle in my arm. But he's WAY ahead of me in donations.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/healt...rnd/index.html
Great article Baker, thanks for the link!