Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 PM

Bill Clinton really should have been impeached

Not for Monica, for this:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/president-b...ry?id=11930878

He lost the nuclear codes, lied about it, and so for months didn't have quick access to the nuclear arsenal.

Sounds unbelievable, but the source is about as reliable as they get: Hugh Shelton.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 PM

I don't believe that. If they were gonna update the old one was of no use anyway. I say bullshit!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post

He lost the nuclear codes, lied about it, and so for months didn't have quick access to the nuclear arsenal.

Sounds unbelievable, but the source is about as reliable as they get: Hugh Shelton.
Dated Oct 20, 2010.
Getting desperate for material?

I got news for you. Bill served his two terms and can't serve again and Hilary lost her bid. You should be worried about the clusterfuck in the White House.

Last edited by running coach; 01-13-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Uh...., I thought Bill Clinton was impeached....
Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 PM

The article at least says nothing about him lying for months. It claims he didn't have the code for months. Yet, another version claims simply that he didn't have it the morning of the Lewinsky issue and admitted it, saying that it was a regular check, meaning he couldn't have lied about it. The article admits the truth is murky.

I find it more likely that this is an attempt to make another (Democratic) president look less competent so that Trump looks better. There's even the claim by the most recent soldier this being never told before, when it was. And, since this is classified stuff that had to be cleared, surely he'd know the truth.

Saying we should impeach over that is even more irresponsible. It's not as if anyone else can give the codes. It just means that the President wouldn't have been able to give them if something happened between losing it and getting a new one. And this was during a time where such was unlikely to be necessary.

Is it something that shouldn't happen? Definitely. Does it reflect badly on the character and ability of the President, meaning he can't fulfill his duties? No. Is it breaking his oath to uphold the Constitution and thus its laws? No. It's a mistake anyone could make.

And, if the earlier version is to be believed, it could be because of the stress of the Lewinsky thing anyways. Do you really want to make this political, when we can pull out that travesty?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 PM

Sorry, that link doesn't tell that part of the story. This one does:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-...und-out-2018-1

Quote:
However, around 2000, according to Shelton, a member of the department within the Pentagon that is responsible for all pieces of the nuclear process was dispatched to the White House to physically look at the codes and ensure they were correct — a procedure required to happen every 30 days. (The set of codes was to be replaced entirely every four months.)

That official was told by a presidential aide that President Bill Clinton did have the codes, but was in an important meeting and could not be disturbed.

The aide assured the official that Clinton took the codes seriously and had them close by. The official was dismayed, but he accepted the excuse and left.

When the next inspection took place the following month, that official was on vacation, according to Shelton, and another official was dispatched to the White House. The new official was met with the same excuse — the president is very busy, but takes the codes very seriously and has them on hand.

"This comedy of errors went on, without President Clinton's knowledge I'm sure, until it was finally time to collect the current set and replace them with the new edition," Shelton writes.

"At this point we learned that the aide had no idea where the old ones were, because they had been missing for months," he added. "The President never did have them, but he assumed, I'm sure, that the aide had them like he was supposed to."
Clinton lost the codes and then avoided the military aide as long as he could, insisting he had the codes when he didn't. Shelton interprets this as somehow not in Clinton's knowledge, but come on.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure you have a vitally critical reason for bringing this up now.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excavating (for a mind) View Post
He was. People don't know what impeached really means.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
I'm sure you have a vitally critical reason for bringing this up now.
Because the story broke today. And it's interesting.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I noted in post 3, the story you linked to is dated Oct 22, 2010.
"interesting", my ass. If it was merely "interesting", you wouldn't be making a big deal over why he wasn't impeached.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 PM

25 years of chasing after the Clintons, who are long gone from office and are no longer active villains in the Republican narrative and you people still can't let it go.

I honestly believe that if Jesus Christ appeared and told you people that the Clintons had not done any of the crap you claim they had, you wouldn't believe him.

And frankly, if you believe he should have been impeached for anything he did, then I'm waiting for you to admit that Trump should be impeached right now for doing a great deal worse than that.

But you won't, will you. For strictly partisan reasons that discredit your position.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 01-13-2018, 11:06 PM

Hmmm... Seems to have popped up on 8 January on a bunch of conservative sites. You're behind with you official talking points, Adaher.

BTW, this story broke in 2010 in the NY Post.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 PM

God, dude, it's really not interesting and you need to move on.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
25 years of chasing after the Clintons, who are long gone from office and are no longer active villains in the Republican narrative and you people still can't let it go.
You'll note that the article adaher linked to also claims that Jimmy Carter lost the nuclear codes. The agenda's pretty obvious.

Credibility? The story is based on somebody claiming it happened years after Clinton had left office. And the two people who have gone public with the story can't agree on what year it supposedly happened in. But apparently nobody thought this massive national security crisis that the President should have been impeached over was worth mentioning at the time it happened.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I honestly believe that if Jesus Christ appeared and told you people that the Clintons had not done any of the crap you claim they had, you wouldn't believe him.
Well, since when have they believed anything he said?
Old 01-14-2018, 12:57 AM

*shrug* It's looking increasingly bad for the Republican party as a whole, so the various attempts at deflection are getting more and more desperate.
It's not just Trump, and the party's willingness to put up with him. There's also the gerrymandering that's being looked at, and other matters.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:

he's been out of the office for 18 years.

Let.
It.
Go.

I do not want to still be hearing "but... but... but her EMAILS!" in the year 2030.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 AM

Good grief!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
We can just pray that Trump has lost the codes. Because Clinton could be trusted not to use them unless absolutely necessary, Trump not so much.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Shelton interprets this as somehow not in Clinton's knowledge, but come on.
So i guess Shelton's reliable when his story conforms with your partisan politics, but somewhat less reliable when he doesn't tell the story that you want to hear?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:42 AM

Ulysses S. Grant misplaced his horse for several hours one day.

More interesting than the OP's tale, and just a little less timely.

mmm
Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 AM

So some aide didn't know (maybe) where the codes were and this is Clinton's fault.

Why is every little muck up by anyone for certain Presidents entirely their fault while others are "Teflon Presidents" and such????????

There were an immense number of real scandals under Reagan, many of which he personally participated in. No impeachment. Instead he became St. Ronnie.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:23 AM

He can still be impeached (again), you know. Nothing says he has to be in office for that. Maybe this is something all those Republicans in Congress can finally agree on! Lock. Him. Up!!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Because the story broke today.
Where? In "Mallard Fillmore"?

Quote:
And it's interesting.
Cite?

Odd, isn't it, that you want Clinton retroactively impeached for not knowing where the old codes were, while at the same time you hope Trump never gets hold of the current ones. I wonder what the difference could be?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:

If JC Himself came back, in this climate he would simply be crucified (or such) again.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM

I'm just hoping Trump has lost the codes. If we're really lucky they never gave him the real ones.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
he's been out of the office for 18 years.

Let.
It.
Go.

I do not want to still be hearing "but... but... but her EMAILS!" in the year 2030.
The emails story will sunset by 2025, after we have moved to direct mind to mind communication, and no one knows what an email is anymore.

Benghazi though, that'll keep going till the heat death of the universe.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
If JC Himself came back, in this climate he would simply be crucified (or such) again.
Crucified verbally perhaps. For speaking about helping the poor, and also for hanging out with prostitutes.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
God, dude, it's really not interesting and you need to move on.
This, a million f'ing times.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

This isn't a Tom Clancy novel. If Bill Clinton, or any other president, needed to launch an nuclear strike, that won't depend on him or her needing to remember some numbers.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I'm just hoping Trump has lost the codes. If we're really lucky they never gave him the real ones.
They told him the codes was 1-2-3-4-5.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excavating (for a mind) View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP knows that, since his first line was "Not for Monica, for this:"
Old 01-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
They told him the codes was 1-2-3-4-5.
That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

In the OP you said that he lied about it for months. In the article you quoted it said "This comedy of errors went on, without President Clinton's knowledge I'm sure, until it was finally time to collect the current set and replace them with the new edition," Shelton writes.

So, Clinton didn't lie about it for months, his aides did. Besides, no one else can do anything with it and while it might make launching a nuclear strike difficult (or impossible) at some random time, surely even without the codes at hand, the president could make it happen if there we detected incoming nukes.

PS, when googled this, every article (all based on the same source I'm sure) starts with 'Hillary said we can't trust Trump with nuclear weapons but her own husband lost the codes'...because that's the same thing.

Of everything that happens during the 4 (or 8) years of a presidency, this was akin to losing the keys to your car. The only reason anyone even knows about it is because Gen Shelton mentioned it in a book. A quick glance at his wiki page makes it sound like he's a pretty big supporter of both the Clintons.

Anyways, blah blah blah adaher hates democrats, nothing to see here.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:41 PM

I had to double check the date on the OP because I thought surely this was a zombie post. I mean really who is still talking about this and WHY?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phall0106 View Post
I had to double check the date on the OP because I thought surely this was a zombie post. I mean really who is still talking about this and WHY?
Conservatives.
Clintondiditworseandfirstism.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Benghazi though, that'll keep going till the heat death of the universe.
Gowdy is among the GOP Reps leaving, so maybe not.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Ulysses S. Grant misplaced his horse for several hours one day.

More interesting than the OP's tale, and just a little less timely.

mmm
Beat me to it. I was going to say something about Chester A. Arthur temporarily losing his monocle.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phall0106 View Post
What part of "Mundane and Pointless" do you not get?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:22 PM

I repeat...

Quote:
And frankly, if you believe he should have been impeached for anything he did, then I'm waiting for you to admit that Trump should be impeached right now for doing a great deal worse than that.

But you won't, will you. For strictly partisan reasons that discredit your position.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 01-14-2018, 02:46 PM

I'm going to have to bookmark this great John Oliver episode. I've cued it up at the beginning of the "WhatAboutism" section.

And the really, really key super important thing is only one side is going whole hog in on these things. Others try to do it and it gets ignored and laughed off.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I'm going to have to bookmark this great John Oliver episode. I've cued it up at the beginning of the "WhatAboutism" section.
Thanks for the link. That whole clip is gold, and I hadn't seen it before.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
He can still be impeached (again), you know. Nothing says he has to be in office for that. Maybe this is something all those Republicans in Congress can finally agree on! Lock. Him. Up!!
What's the worst the Senate could do? Remove him from office?
Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
They could prevent him from running for office again.

Finally, a reason Bill Clinton won't run in 2020.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 PM

I agree that Bill Clinton should have been impeached for perjury AND a sexual relationship with an intern that would have gotten any CEO in the country fired. That being said, I don't see what the big OMG is about this story. He was a known liar and still got elected. He lied in court and was acquitted by the Senate. He lied to the US public and was forgiven. So what new is added by this story?

THIS JUST IN: Lying President was a liar.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM

Clinton definitely told a few whoppers during his presidency, but the relative rarity of his falsehoods look trivial and quaint compared to the piece of shit currently squatting in the White House.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
broke yesterday? This has been old news for years. When Clinton was asked about it after he left office, he said that it didn't particularly bother him because if the times had required even the remote possibility (remember this happened in the late 90s when we were enthusiastically cooperating with the former USSR to buy their old plutonium off them and building the ISS together, and China was rapidly going all capitalist on the entire world) of his needing the authentication card, he would have simply gotten a new one anyway.

Yes, he should have had the card, but other things were occupying his time and it wasn't important. HE wasn't worried about the size of his button.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Maybe his card reads all zeros!
We can hope.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
They could prevent him from running for office again.

Finally, a reason Bill Clinton won't run in 2020.
No, he's already prevented from doing that by the 22nd Amendment.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Yep. That is the worst the Senate could do.

At least the OP picked the correct forum to post this in.

Last edited by John Mace; 01-14-2018 at 06:29 PM.