Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #10101  
Old 03-20-2019, 04:45 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Sometimes I really require things to be spelled out for me, and clicking your link I see that this means that he is still cooperating with Mueller investigations that are ongoing, and not yet complete.
and Rosenstein apparently is NOT leaving ... yet. Maybe because he wants to protect Meuller and the investigation?
  #10102  
Old 03-20-2019, 04:48 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
..
The dangling of pardons is not real. It's a higher stakes version of "the check is in the mail."
and we ALL know how good Trump is about paying his bills
  #10103  
Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
and Rosenstein apparently is NOT leaving ... yet. Maybe because he wants to protect Meuller and the investigation?
I think this is right.

Evidently Rosenstein has said he is staying to act as a "heat shield" (Tweet by CNN Reporter/Producer Marshall Cohen) once the report is issued.

This is the second time Rosenstein has warned he expects significant fallout from the release of the report. The first was when Mueller issued his speaking indictment on the Russians, and Rosenstein hinted that more was coming -- presumably filling in with the missing Americans half of the conspiracy.
  #10104  
Old 03-20-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 20,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
This is the second time Rosenstein has warned he expects significant fallout from the release of the report. The first was when Mueller issued his speaking indictment on the Russians, and Rosenstein hinted that more was coming -- presumably filling in with the missing Americans half of the conspiracy.
The tweet gives someone's understanding of whatever it was that they heard Rosenstein say (or what they heard from someone else that Rosenstein was saying). But if we look at, for example, your understanding of Rosenstein's statements when the GRU indictment was issued, I think it's fair to say that people can be inclined to read their desires into what they hear.

Rosenstein could be staying on to take the heat, just as easily, because the announcement is that there was nothing hinky going on. And to some extent, I wouldn't be amazingly surprised for that to be the result. Quite possibly the majority of fallout from the Russia investigation comes through financial crimes and other assorted malfeasance, rather than Russian coordination. At the end of the day, proving collusion or the existence of compromising materials is a hard thing to ask.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 03-20-2019 at 05:39 PM.
  #10105  
Old 03-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,510
Hope Hicks has agreed to turn over documents to the House Judiciary Committee.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/20/polit...-investigation
  #10106  
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
Walken After Midnight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,935
The Talking Feds podcast, featuring, among others, the federal prosecutors that appear as talking heads on MSNBC, started a few days ago on iTunes and has now hit YouTube, making it available to a wider audience. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's hosted by the excellent Harry Litman, and has good feedback.
  #10107  
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
... At the end of the day, proving collusion or the existence of compromising materials is a hard thing to ask.
Quote:
Donald Trump Jr has been forced to release damning emails that reveal he eagerly embraced what he was told was a Russian government attempt to damage Hillary Clinton’s election campaign.

... The emails show music promoter Rob Goldstone telling the future US president’s son that “the crown prosecutor of Russia” had offered “to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father”.

British-born Goldstone adds in the exchange of 3 June 2016: “This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr Trump.”

Seventeen minutes later, Trump Jr welcomes this with the reply: “If it’s what you say, I love it, especially later in the summer.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...illary-clinton
  #10108  
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 20,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Not to say that Junior shouldn't have done that, but I do note that Manafort was in that same meeting and there was no case leveled against him for it. And while that may be coming, the only thing we know in the public sphere about the meeting is that the Trumps thought that they were going to get damning information about Hillary.

We know of no evidence that they were expecting her hacked emails from her time working as Secretary of State. It could have been that they were expecting anything from that to information about bribes she had taken from Russian mafia or pictures of her doing something scandalous with a cockerspaniel. Proof that they had intent to be part of a conspiracy to deal in materials derived through criminal activity in US territory by the GRU is not something that we can reasonably infer at this point in time.

Which really leaves us with receipt of foreign goods of value. And while that is a crime, it's arguable whether receipt of "information" is a good of value and an even harder argument to make that a reasonable person, harried by running a campaign, and fresh to politics wouldn't mistakenly think that a "good of value" would be limited to things like cash or a thousand barrels of wine.

Given the difficulty of achieving a successful prosecution and given that no actual transfer took place, it's probably pretty reasonable to say that it's sort of a waste of time to prosecute - particularly if the person running the investigation has already spun out several highly provable, slam-dunk, major financial crimes by the same person.

Now, if there's evidence that Junior and them wanted and desired to get in on hacked materials, and believed those materials to have not just been lifted from the Secretary of State's office but taken by Russian Military Intelligence, then that's where we're getting into something that can not only be looked at as collusion, but also treason. But, as said, we don't currently have any reason to think that we're looking at anything more than someone stupid having a momentary lapse of good judgement more than we're looking at treason, in terms of what is likely to be prosecutable. Financial crimes are the more likely vector that Junior and all of them find themselves on the path to discovering the joys of soap on a rope.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017