View Poll Results: If you want it to be colder, do you turn the air conditioner up or down?
Up 65 56.52%
Down 50 43.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
Because of internal conflict I deliberately skid this and ask about turning the temperature up or down.
This is how I do it. I can't reconcile the up/down difference in my own brain, so I break it down into this logical unit.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one; first time my parents went away and left me at home for a few days by myself, the fridge started freezing things and I pretty near had a breakdown trying to work out which way I needed to turn the dial...
That's because my mother wasn't around. After she left I was wondering why the saucisson and chorizo were trying to freeze, until I realized she'd turned the fridge to the coolest setting. When you're in the North Pole, the only possible surface direction is South.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
"Turn it up" = "Increase the power". Which, for an AC unit, increased power makes for colder air. So turn it up to get cold.

This is how I would think of it, though ACs get "cranked up" more than "turned up" to make it cooler.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
At least most air conditioner controls are clearly marked. What gets me are refrigerators. Those are usually marked 1 to 10, with the "explanation" of "10 = max, 1 = min". Well, yes, I was awake in 1st grade math, but is 1 the minimum temperature, or the minimum amount of refrigeration?

In one of my cars, a very old BMW, the air vents have a wheel control to open or close them, with the positions marked with a vertical line at the top and an O at the bottom.

It turns out the vertical line is like a "1" for on (integer as Boolean, like in assembly or C programming languages) and the 0 is for off. But since it's an air vent, my wife always gets it backwards, thinking they're symbols for an open flue (O) and a sealed one (|).

Then there was the time a chicken was following a series of arrows drawn on the ground the wrong way because they thought they were footprints leading in the direction a bird was walking...
Old 07-17-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
This comes up in conversations at my house also. I clicked None of the Above.

Here's a loosely related question: When you want to turn on the A/C, or a light, by changing the position of an ordinary wall switch, do you 'Open' the switch or 'Close' it? (Assume your language lacks the terms 'turn on' and 'turn off.')

I wouldn't say to open or to close the lights in English, but in fact, the verbs for switching on/off electric lights in Chinese are exactly that: "opening" a switch enables a mechanism on, "closing" is to disable it. The fact that it is enabled by means of closing an electrical circuit loop is an implementation detail.