Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

The Up Sides to Non-Essential Tremors

My entire family (so it seems) are inflicted with non-essential tremors. This means our hands shake, sometimes quite badly, but the tremors aren't associated with anything that's dangerous or anything, hence the 'non-essential' part. I have meds to quell the tremors, but the meds are benzodiazapines, and I'm wary of taking too much of that crap, plus I won't take it and drive. So I just live with it, unless the tremors get so bad I can't really function.

So, a few days ago, I was having a really bad spell, and I popped a little pill, and was laying in bed, drifting off to sleep, thinking of the good things about these tremors:
1. No need for a blender, really; the kid wants a Smoothie? Great. Pop some frozen yogurt and berries in a glass, hand the glass to Mom when she's shaking real bad, BAM, Smoothie! (be sure to put newspapers or other protective coverings on floor!)
2. When I was at my sister's house for Thanksgiving, she handed me a carton of heavy cream and asked me to make the whipped cream for the pies; before I could pour the cream into the bowl, we had fresh butter!
3. It amuses my friends, and gets me free food. My friends love to invite me over for dinner and then serve things that they think will amuse them if my shakes are bad. Soup, bowl filled to the brim? Score. Fill my wine glass all the way to the top and watch me try to figure out how to get a drink of it without staining my shirt? Score. Ask me to help carve the roast? Well, not so much of a score, since they end up having to clean up the blood.
4. My kitties think of my tremors as 'auto-scritching'. They will align their bodies accordingly.
5. If I ever decide to go to medical school, I've already got the illegible handwriting thing down pat.

I may think of more later.