Old 10-03-2019, 09:38 PM

NFL Week 5

Iíll start this because we donít have one yet. Hope I donít screw it up.

TNF
LAR @ SEA

Early
NYJ @ PHI
JAX @ CAR
MIN @ NYG
ATL @ HOU
TB @ NO
BUF @ TEN
ARI @ CIN
NE @ WAS
BAL @ PIT
CHI @ OAK

Late
DEN @ LAC
GB @ DAL
IND @ KC

MNF
CLE @ SF
Old 10-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Good lord those Seattle uniforms are ugly.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
Good lord those Seattle uniforms are ugly.
They give them an unfair advantage. How can you cover or tackle someone you canít look at?

As a Seattle fan I approve.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:56 PM

Every goddamn game against the Rams. I freaking swear.

My nerves are freaking shot.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Every goddamn game against the Rams. I freaking swear.

My nerves are freaking shot.
Thank the refs. The penalty against Matthews was crap.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Thank the refs. The penalty against Matthews was crap.
I donít disagree. Though I do recall the cheap shot he hit Russell with in the NFC Championship game that was ignored (helmet to helmet) so maybe thatís belated karma.

But yeah that looked to me like a shoulder hit right after the ball was thrown, so neither late nor too rough. Bad penalty.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I donít disagree. Though I do recall the cheap shot he hit Russell with in the NFC Championship game that was ignored (helmet to helmet) so maybe thatís belated karma.

But yeah that looked to me like a shoulder hit right after the ball was thrown, so neither late nor too rough. Bad penalty.
Giving it more thought, I think it was an undeserved penalty but not a bad call.

Roughing the passer penalties are called in real time from a ref based on what he sees. Itís not something that can be challenged nor is it reviewed. If you look at how Matthews made his hit, while itís clear on replay it was clean the way it was done could easily look like helmet-to-helmet depending on where youíre standing. Itís like a fake punch done for a kung fu movie that looks like it connects but it doesnít. So I donít blame the ref, though clearly it wasnít a bad hit and thereís no way Clay gets a fine.

In terms of fairness, Ansah was called for a penalty after tripping over a lineman and stumbling into Goff because he hit him low. It was clearly not intentional and I donít think he could stop, he pretty much fell into him. If you want to talk about refs gifting a team with an unwarranted roughing penalty, it happened to both sides. As with the hit on Wilson, this occurred on a 3rd down incompletion and the penalty led eventually to a TD. So you canít really say the refs gave this one to a team unless you erase the score from both sides.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:58 AM

I wish I had a bookie. Pats giving up only 15.5 pts against the Redskins.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Even though I watched it live I was wrong about the Matthews roughing play. I thought it was a late down but it was a 1st and 10 situation. People are acting like that play gave the Seahawks the game but if that flag wasn’t thrown it would have still been 2nd down in Rams territory. Getting 15 yards helps but it wasn’t like that decided the game.

I just think it’s weird how I could misremember that badly.

I also remember two plays I thought might get penalties; Aaron Donald landing on Wilson and Clowney getting his arms around Goff’s general neck area. Neither was flagged nor should they have been, but as strict as they are these days they could have been. The refs weren’t going too crazy with roughing.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Some random thoughts from a Seahawk fan

1. Those uniforms were offensively ugly
2. Great interception
3. Great end zone catch by Lockett
4. I really hate the “pretend to run a play but really just trying to get the opponent to jump offsides” move. It’s okay to do a hard count or whatever if you’re actually going to run a play, but when you have no intention of snapping the ball you just look like a bunch of no-confidence pussies. Plus, it almost never works.
5. Seattle defense sure let L.A. move the ball in the 4th quarter.

Last edited by Procrustus; 10-04-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Even though I watched it live I was wrong about the Matthews roughing play. I thought it was a late down but it was a 1st and 10 situation. People are acting like that play gave the Seahawks the game but if that flag wasnít thrown it would have still been 2nd down in Rams territory. Getting 15 yards helps but it wasnít like that decided the game.

I just think itís weird how I could misremember that badly.

I also remember two plays I thought might get penalties; Aaron Donald landing on Wilson and Clowney getting his arms around Goffís general neck area. Neither was flagged nor should they have been, but as strict as they are these days they could have been. The refs werenít going too crazy with roughing.
I basically agree here - I think it was a well-called game over all (if you consider the post-challenge revisions as the 'call.') While the roughing-the-passer on Matthews was an exception, it happened on an early down on a drive when the Seahawks were easily moving the ball down the field. If that's enough to make you say, "Thank the refs", then there's basically no close NFL game you can consider legitimate.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:21 PM

As a Bengals fan watching those highlights, the whole time I was thinking "Man! THAT'S what NFL offenses look like!"
Old 10-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
5. Seattle defense sure let L.A. move the ball in the 4th quarter.
My thought was that they were playing soft coverage. Like they were okay allowing underneath plays but not explosive ones. Iím not sure Goff is too much of an explosive threat, and those little 7-12 yard run-out-the-sideline plays will kill you. It was like they were walking casually down the field. Itís also possible that wasnít by design but they just arenít good at defending against that. I hope it was a bad game plan and not a lack of talent by the defense.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Man, that Lockett touchdown was a thing of beauty. In real time, I thought "There is no way in hell he got his feet down." Perfection.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Some random thoughts from a Seahawk fan

1. Those uniforms were offensively ugly
I wonder if bright garish uniforms like that are supposed to help the QB (Wilson) a bit. When scanning downfield, it is just that tiny bit easier to spot your WR deep downfield if he's in ugly bright yellow than if he is in a more subtle color?
Old 10-04-2019, 04:01 PM

I hate all the "color rush" uniforms.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:06 PM

I’ll never forget the Condiment Bowl.
https://ramblinfan.com/2015/12/17/ra...ondiment-bowl/
Go Ketchup!
Old 10-05-2019, 09:55 AM

I just read a headline entitled: "Is Gardner Minshew the next Tom Brady?"

What.
The.
Fuck.

Of course it's all to get clicks, but the stupidity of "hot takes", making grand conclusions from one game (There is no fucking way to conclude that Daniel Jones was worth the #6 pick in the draft after one fucking game), and every game being called a "must win" just stupidifies the conversation about NFL football. It's so dumb.

But this story of a reactionary asshat who quit his stadium job after the kneeling protests by the Bills' players has now been convicted of domestic battery made me smile, so there is that.

Anyway, some of the things I'm looking forward to this weekend:

1) I never thought I'd say it, but the Titans/Bills game is intriguing. Both teams have pretty good defenses (and inconsistent offenses), so hopefully it will be a good defensive game instead of a bad offensive one. I still have no respect for Josh Allen as an NFL QB, but I hope his head is OK.

2) Although I get a week off from the Dolphins floundering, I still have to hear about the horrid Jets (how does Adam Gase continue to get jobs?), the dysfunctional Washington team (Sorry fans, but the more pain for Daniel Snyder the better), and the Bengals.

3) Did Detroit's defensive gameplan against KC help set a blueprint (No, Reid will adjust, because that's what he's great at). Is Kirk Cousins really that bad of a QB? (I didn't think so, but he's doing nothing to prove his critics wrong). Will Jon Gruden assign the entire offensive line to stop Khalil Mack (he might have to. Although I don't really blame Gruden for trading Mack; it sounds like it was a "we don't have the money" owner caused things and they got great value for him).

4) The continued use of backup QB's. Teddy Bridgewater, Chase Daniels, Kyle Allen, Luke Falk, Colt McCoy, Jacoby Brissett, and my current mancrush Garrett Minshew are all players I never thought I'd see this season. Outside of the really horrible teams with no support (Jets. Washington), they've been doing pretty well all things considered.

5) Cowboys/Packers will be a fascinating test. Can the Packers D give up 300 yards rushing in one game? Is Dak Prescott actually better than I thought or is beating up on the shittiest teams in the NFL (Dolphins, Washington, and the Giants) inflated his value (I hope so. I really want Jerry Jones to make him the highest paid player ever in the NFL)? Can Rodgers and LeFleur get more than a first quarter of greatness out of this offense, especially without Davante Adams? Should be a great game to watch.

Enjoy the weekend.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I just read a headline entitled: "Is Gardner Minshew the next Tom Brady?"

What.
The.
Fuck.

Of course it's all to get clicks, but the stupidity of "hot takes", making grand conclusions from one game (There is no fucking way to conclude that Daniel Jones was worth the #6 pick in the draft after one fucking game), and every game being called a "must win" just stupidifies the conversation about NFL football. It's so dumb.
I can see the parallels; a QB drafted late (Minshew was the 178th pick, Brady was the 199th pick), physical skills werenít impressive but mental skills were praised, sat as a backup until the starter was hurt then suddenly put on the field and now the team is better!

But Minshew can never be Brady, because as a rookie, Brady was 1 for 3 for 6 yards. Minshew far surpassed that.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I still have to hear about the horrid Jets (how does Adam Gase continue to get jobs?), the dysfunctional Washington team (Sorry fans, but the more pain for Daniel Snyder the better), and the Bengals.
Nobody is talking about the Bengals, not even here in Cincinnati.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Nice to see massive dickhead Richie Incognito costing his team 3 points with a personal foul. Screw him.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Redskins 7-Patriots 0

I promise you I’m on my first beer and that’s not a typo
Old 10-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Redskins 7-Patriots 0

I promise you Iím on my first beer and thatís not a typo
Even better, Patriots responded with a TD but their new kicker missed the PAT so they are still down by 1.

Redskins seem to have the edge at this point, oddly enough. Patriots arenít protecting Brady very well.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:25 PM

Raiders not turning the ball over and absolutely dominating the Bears. An injury to Akeen Hicks seems to be making running the ball much easier. The Bears offense, which isn't good anyway, looking even worse with a poor showing by the O line and an easy int by Daniel's. I have seen nothing this year that makes me think that the Bears can come from behind, but who knows.

Last edited by Hamlet; 10-06-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Oh crap. I forgot they're the Raiders.

They just gifted the Bears 7 points. Gotta love it.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:10 PM

As much as it pains me as a Packer fan, I am enjoying watching Gruden and the Raiders melt down.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:23 PM

It is astounding how lucky the Bears are to face a team that continues to shoot itself in the foot over and over and over.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:26 PM

Oh, and fuck Earl Thomas and the Ravens.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:34 PM

Refs doing their best to help the Bears too. Another bullshit roughing the passer call.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

How unfortunate is it that the consistently greatest rivalry in the NFL, with almost every game being a 3 point game and leaving everyone involved beat up, has to be between one team with an obnoxious fanbase and the other team whose very existence is a black mark on sports?

Another overtime today.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:35 PM

This just in: Christian McCaffrey is pretty good.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Redskins seem to have the edge at this point, oddly enough. Patriots arenít protecting Brady very well.
Second half was completely different. They re-established a running game, protected Brady fairly well, and got some complete drives going. And passed to the tight ends! This was a promising change from the last two poor games.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Will Cairo Santos still have a job by next week?

Hell, I felt bad for the guy and I'm a Bills fan.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:11 PM

How does Dan Snyder continue to see the total loss of interest by his team's fanbase and the team's total dysfunction for years and keep making the same interfering mistakes over and over again? FedEx Field looked and sounded like Gillette South. 20 years of futility and mismanagement.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:42 PM

its the same with the raiders except the father passed it along to his son …….
Old 10-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Jason Garrett bitching and crying is fun to watch.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:28 PM

The Jets @ Eagles game was too good on too many levels:

The Jets DOUBLED their offensive TD total on the entire season (it's week 5!) by scoring ONE offensive TD, and they only got that one because the Eagles muffed a punt return, giving the Jets the ball in the red zone. Screen pass, TD, matching their entire season total to date.

Even better, the Eagles' 3 sacks were the fewest in the league coming into this game, so of course they got TEN sacks on the Jets.

And the piece de resistance, the inept backup QB Luke Falk -- what a terribly awkward name to say out loud -- who is still starting while Sam Darnold recovers from mono (seriously?!) gets knocked out of the game with a concussion, so who comes in at QB? David Fales. Yes, the Jets QB is actually named "FAILS"!!!! You can't script this shit.

EDIT: Beer turns sad into funny. Who knew?

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-06-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:48 PM

Jesus fuck this Cowboys Packers game is horribly officiated. Both teams getting fucked by the refs, which I guess is kinda fair, but the officiating, as well as just bad play, has made this game a pain to waych.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:49 PM

well the raiders managed to pull it off .... but the post-game chatter is funny https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...gOE?li=BBnba9I
Old 10-06-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
The Jets @ Eagles game was too good on too many levels:

The Jets DOUBLED their offensive TD total on the entire season (it's week 5!) by scoring ONE offensive TD, and they only got that one because the Eagles muffed a punt return, giving the Jets the ball in the red zone. Screen pass, TD, matching their entire season total to date.

Even better, the Eagles' 3 sacks were the fewest in the league coming into this game, so of course they got TEN sacks on the Jets.

And the piece de resistance, the inept backup QB Luke Falk -- what a terribly awkward name to say out loud -- who is still starting while Sam Darnold recovers from mono (seriously?!) gets knocked out of the game with a concussion, so who comes in at QB? David Fales. Yes, the Jets QB is actually named "FAILS"!!!! You can't script this shit.

EDIT: Beer turns sad into funny. Who knew?
Didnt Adam Gase give his starter Falk, only one day of reps this week? I do not understand how Gase is still a thing.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jesus fuck this Cowboys Packers game is horribly officiated. Both teams getting fucked by the refs, which I guess is kinda fair, but the officiating, as well as just bad play, has made this game a pain to waych.
That mild slap to Dak Prescott's helmet being called for Roughing the Passer is was pathetically awful.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
That mild slap to Dak Prescott's helmet being called for Roughing the Passer is was pathetically awful.
Literally touching the QBís helmet is a roughing penalty. An actual slap is pretty egregious. Thatís not an awful penalty, it will be called every time if the officials see it.

You can say the rule is awful, but the penalty was absolutely correct.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Literally touching the QBís helmet is a roughing penalty.
That's simply not true.

"Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area."

If we're talking about the same play, the contact I saw was not near "forcible".
Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
That's simply not true.

"Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area."

If we're talking about the same play, the contact I saw was not near "forcible".
That is not the rule.
https://dailysnark.com/patriots-awar...-helmet-video/

It does not have to be forcible, not these days. At least not the way the rule is enforced.

Last edited by Atamasama; 10-06-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It does not have to be forcible, not these days. At least not the way the rule is enforced.
Here's the full quote from the NFL Rulebook:
Quote:
In covering the passer position, Referees will be particularly alert to fouls in which defenders impermissibly use the helmet and/or facemask to hit the passer, or use hands, arms, or other parts of the body to hit the passer forcibly in the head or neck area (see also the other unnecessary roughness rules covering these subjects). A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless postureófor example, (1) forcibly hitting the passerís head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, even if the initial contact of the defenderís helmet or facemask is lower than the passerís neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him; or (2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with any part of the helmet against any part of the passerís body. This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer.
While it may be enforced for marginal cases, the rules as I read it requires the hit to be forcibly made. Neither this hit nor the one in the Pats game was forcible. It's bad officiating, whether it's common or not.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:45 PM

Bills are 4-1!!
Old 10-07-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
While it may be enforced for marginal cases, the rules as I read it requires the hit to be forcibly made. Neither this hit nor the one in the Pats game was forcible. It's bad officiating, whether it's common or not.
But so much leeway is given to the referees that they can do that. This year they were calling holding penalties left and right. It was getting crazy and eventually Tom Brady publicly called them out on it, and then they started easing off. Apparently thereís a lot of wiggle room, depending on what is a ďpoint of emphasisĒ in officiating. The rules werenít changed, they just enforced them differently.

In response to the CTE publicity they started getting really touchy about anything that involved a QBís head. If youíve watched many football games the last couple of seasons they have been pretty consistent about it. It is absolutely controversial and many people donít like it. *I* donít like it. But thatís the NFL.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Bills are 4-1!!
And three of those wins were away games.

The Bills' remaining schedule has four games against teams that haven't won a game this season and two games against teams that are currently 1-4.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:05 AM

It turns out that the Chiefs really can't defend against the run. Or that much against the pass when they have to worry about not being able to stop the run.

And that Mahomes needs two ankles to work his magic.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:22 AM

There have been some really entertaining games thus far. The Raiders are 3-2 with a really messed up difficult schedule. Their last three games were a road loss at Min and road wins at Indy and in London. Their next two are at GB and at Hou. If they can escape these 4-3 they look really good to get a wildcard place.