Old 08-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Congress would be in the position of potentially prosecuting a president over something that wasn't really the initial impetus of the investigation.
Which is exactly what led to the impeachment of Bill Clinton. Ken Starr's investigation was originally into the details of the Whitewater land deal, but his scope was widened, and the impeachment was for perjury and obstruction of justice in regards to Paula Jones's sexual harassment lawsuit against Clinton.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 08-23-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM

Now I think there's zero chance of resignation. The pubs may not like him or his 'tude, but they're getting the religious bills and other "historic" bills signed by the Tumor. And he gets free rides on a plane and to beep horns.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Which is exactly what led to the impeachment of Bill Clinton. Ken Starr's investigation was originally into the details of the Whitewater land deal, but his scope was widened, and the impeachment was for perjury and obstruction of justice in regards to Paula Jones's sexual harassment lawsuit against Clinton.
Yep, but it was the opposition party prosecuting congress, and in any case, Clinton prevailed.

I go back to what I've said before, which is that, despite what they teach in civics and con-law classes, a president is really forced out of office for basically one reason and one reason only: the country has to be in bad shape somehow. Maybe the economy sucks. Maybe the country's in the middle of an unpopular war. Maybe the country's just getting out of a civil war. Trump's race baiting might possibly qualify if we have more Charlottesvilles. But I don't think the results of Mueller's investigation by itself will do Trump in. Maybe the failure to appease his base plus a recession might do the trick.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if people are going to accept impeaching a president over crimes unrelated to his office or unrelated to winning the office.
Yeah, that would never happen. Certainly it would never happen to Bill Clinton.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Yeah, that would never happen. Certainly it would never happen to Bill Clinton.
Congress, as I recall, did pay a price in the mid-terms, losing seats that they probably should have won, which cost Gingrich his speakership. It wasn't Clinton who paid the price for his impeachment; it was everyone around him who did, including those who tried to prosecute it. George W Bush scavenged off the remains.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:09 PM

But ..then..theres that 'wall'thing..45s never die they just fade away!!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:11 PM

We just in big trouble..i don't see an easy way out..someone will cry!!
Old 08-25-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
But ..then..theres that 'wall'thing..45s never die they just fade away!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
We just in big trouble..i don't see an easy way out..someone will cry!!
I genuinely do not understand what you are trying to say here.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Donald Trump Will Resign and It Will Happen ‘Suddenly,’ Predicts Keith Olbermann

Again, if you're predicting a "resignation" on January 20 of 2021 or 2025, I will not consider that eligible for the prize.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:24 PM

Trump will only resign or be impeached if the country's mood sours to the point where his base cracks. That'll only happen if the base itself comes to the conclusion that Trump isn't making America great again. They'll probably laugh at whatever charges Mueller brings before congress and call it a conspiracy. When the Dow loses half its value, have stagflation, or get caught in some messy war that people blame the president for, then you'll see impeachment.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Trump will only resign or be impeached if the country's mood sours to the point where his base cracks. That'll only happen if the base itself comes to the conclusion that Trump isn't making America great again. They'll probably laugh at whatever charges Mueller brings before congress and call it a conspiracy. When the Dow loses half its value, have stagflation, or get caught in some messy war that people blame the president for, then you'll see impeachment.
More likely it will happen when the GOP in Congress do the political calculus and decide that the benefits of having President Pence outweigh the demerits of impeaching Trump. If booting Trump will earn them more votes than it loses, out will come the long knives. That doesn't necessarily require the hardcore base to crack; there are still votes in the middle-right to court and they are already starting to be disgusted with Trump.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
More likely it will happen when the GOP in Congress do the political calculus and decide that the benefits of having President Pence outweigh the demerits of impeaching Trump. If booting Trump will earn them more votes than it loses, out will come the long knives. That doesn't necessarily require the hardcore base to crack; there are still votes in the middle-right to court and they are already starting to be disgusted with Trump.
I agree 100% - this is what it comes down to.

I think Senate Republicans are already worried. Not about the Senate in 2018, but about about the House and looking beyond that, the Senate in 2020. I guess they can take some relief in the fact that Democrats still don't seem to be putting up particularly organized and effective resistance at the moment. There's no credible leader, no spokesman for the party, and no message.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:40 AM

I see this path:

Mueller indicts Donald for money laundering, racketeering, corruption, and obstruction of justice. A replay of Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre ensues. Congress re-appoints Mueller. Donald pardons himself. The case goes to the Supreme Court, and on a 5-4 vote decides that presidents may not pardon themselves. Donald resigns and Pence pardons him. However, New York officials indict him on applicable state charges, he is tried and convicted and spends the rest of his life in prison.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I agree 100% - this is what it comes down to.

I think Senate Republicans are already worried. Not about the Senate in 2018, but about about the House and looking beyond that, the Senate in 2020. I guess they can take some relief in the fact that Democrats still don't seem to be putting up particularly organized and effective resistance at the moment. There's no credible leader, no spokesman for the party, and no message.
There is also the point that if they consider impeachment to be more or less inevitable it is in their own best interest to get it done and over with as early in the term as possible in order to limit the damage to the 2020 campaign(s).

BobLibDem: I doubt Trump will ever spend a night in jail. That doesn't mean there aren't some huge-ass fines in his future, though.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
There is also the point that if they consider impeachment to be more or less inevitable it is in their own best interest to get it done and over with as early in the term as possible in order to limit the damage to the 2020 campaign(s).
Impeachment isn't inevitable; the Republicans control the congress, so nothing is inevitable. It would only be inevitable if they lost control of congress in 2018, and that's not going to happen. The Senate Republicans would probably pull the plug on Trump if they could, but impeachment starts in the House. And so far the party of Trump has held its ground. The intensity of its support is slipping, but it's still holding. Senator Jeff Flake probably is probably more worried about losing to a democrat than a primary opponent, but in the House, the threat of a primary challenger could be a real one, depending on the district.

That's why I think that the only thing that brings Trump down is some kind of national crisis or some kind of sudden change in national mood. Maybe the economy goes south, or maybe the war in Afghanistan gets really messy. Not that I want these things to happen obviously, but this is the only thing that brings Trump under the threat of an impeachment.

Last edited by asahi; 08-29-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I see this path:

Mueller indicts Donald for money laundering, racketeering, corruption, and obstruction of justice. A replay of Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre ensues. Congress re-appoints Mueller. Donald pardons himself. The case goes to the Supreme Court, and on a 5-4 vote decides that presidents may not pardon themselves. Donald resigns and Pence pardons him. However, New York officials indict him on applicable state charges, he is tried and convicted and spends the rest of his life in prison.
Don't tease like that!

<sigh> The Orange One in an orange jumpsuit (size XXXXL). Sweet.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
When will Trump resign? Put me down for June 1, 2018. I figure we have him for about another year.
Any updates to this prediction?

Quote:
Nov 3, 2017. Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan will visit the White House, get a piece of pie with one scoop of ice cream to Donald's two, and tell him that the jig is up. He goes on Twitter to announce that since he has accomplished more in less than a year than all other presidents combined, that he's going to retire in glory to oversee the carving of his face on Mt Rushmore. And on the way out the door, he pardons himself.
Or this one?

Last edited by Bricker; 07-12-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Doing the lord's work there, Bricker.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Hey, if someone wants to make a prediction, then they should own up to it's failure. It's not that big of a deal.

I, for one, would like Bricker to respond to the fact that AT&T has already violated NN rules, far in advance of my prediction in the MPTIMS (or whatever that forum is)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Here's what I take your comment to mean: that because the wrong predictions were anti-Trump, it's bad to point out their error.

Is that the gist of your comment?
Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Hey, if someone wants to make a prediction, then they should own up to it's failure. It's not that big of a deal.

I, for one, would like Bricker to respond to the fact that AT&T has already violated NN rules, far in advance of my prediction in the MPTIMS (or whatever that forum is)
I'd be happy to - can I get a cite?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
Here's what I take your comment to mean: that because the wrong predictions were anti-Trump, it's bad to point out their error.

No, it's because you're such a normal and healthy that you go digging in old threads to bump them so you can gloat in order to own the libs.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I'd be happy to - can I get a cite?
Here's the thread, and the link to what happened:

AT&T’s Time Warner deal and net neutrality’s end gave us WatchTV
Old 07-12-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
No, it's because you're such a normal and healthy that you go digging in old threads to bump them so you can gloat in order to own the libs.
Come on now, don't you think people that make predictions should own those predictions?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Come on now, don't you think people that make predictions should own those predictions?
Completely irrelevant to my assertion actually.

Given that he's 8 months late on calling out one of the predictions, it actually reinforces my point.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Is your preferred outcome that predictions that fail to materialize should be ignored?

I mean, almost by definition, these predictions will be in older threads, right? There would be absolutely no way to refer to them except by reference to old threads -- true?

Can you explain what you believe the better course of action is? I infer that your preference is to not highlight old threads when they contain failed predictions. But I highlight my own old prediction failures
too. I don't find too many people in those threads criticizing my digging up an old subject to highlight a predictive failure.

Should I also forgo that practice, in your view?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 PM

I'm about as lib as lib gets on this board, and I have no problem standing by the predictions I made in this thread.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:

The list of things my comment didn't mean is nearly infinite, but that's near the bottom of the list.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 PM

I've found a picture of Bricker in his natural environment.

http://wondermark.com/1k62/
Old 07-12-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Completely irrelevant to my assertion actually.

Given that he's 8 months late on calling out one of the predictions, it actually reinforces my point.
If your assertion is that he is doing it to "own the libs" then I would disagree. I suspect that he would do that with anyone of any political persuasion who offers a ludicrous prediction. I find it kind of funny, myself.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:21 PM

I think Bricker's point is that predictions made with no stakes are easy and essentially meaningless.

My response to that point is that yes, water is wet, and dogs sometimes bite people. Welcome to the internet.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
The list of things my comment didn't mean is nearly infinite, but that's near the bottom of the list.
What did you mean by "doing the lord's work?"
Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think Bricker's point is that predictions made with no stakes are easy and essentially meaningless.

My response to that point is that yes, water is wet, and dogs sometimes bite people. Welcome to the internet.
In my view, this particular forum has some benefits over "the Internet," at large.

Once of them is the supposed interest in fighting ignorance.

Also in my view, the ability to offer predictions as a rhetorical technique and then avoid being called out for the failure of those predictions to materialize is not an aspect of fighting ignorance.

Do you disagree?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Before you ask him to answer that, shouldn't you admit that your prediction of what he meant was wrong?
"...the social ills of the nonwhite inner-city poor had their origin not in some mysterious flaws of African-American culture but in economic factors—specifically, the disappearance of good blue-collar jobs. Sure enough, when rural whites faced a similar loss of economic opportunity, they experienced a similar social unraveling." - Krugman
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 PM
SDSAB

Quote:

Hmm. Bricker has opposable thumbs, I am given to understand, and is not anywhere near that large.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
In my view, this particular forum has some benefits over "the Internet," at large.

Once of them is the supposed interest in fighting ignorance.

Also in my view, the ability to offer predictions as a rhetorical technique and then avoid being called out for the failure of those predictions to materialize is not an aspect of fighting ignorance.

Do you disagree?
If it's a flaw of the forum, it's a ubiquitous and unavoidable one. Most of us recognize the meaninglessness of this rhetorical technique and can ignore it if we choose.

I have no problem with calling out lousy predictions, by the way. It's just shooting fish in a barrel, IMO.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Moderating

Quote:

It's difficult to see this as anything but an attempt to get in a dig and ride the line as close as possible without going over it. Your attempt has failed and this is a warning for being a jerk.

If you want to refute or rebut an argument or idea you are welcome to. Name calling or posting a picture and saying, 'this is you' is childish and jerky. Don't do this again.

[/moderating]
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 PM

What's next, Bricker, resurrecting Celebrity Death Pools from previous years? Good grief.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:12 AM

I'm still okay with this analysis, although 2) is looking much less likely at this point (admittedly I only had it at 20% to begin with).

Quote:
I'm considering three scenarios:

1) Trump and co. stonewall for another year or so. The Dems take the Senate and a significant chunk of the House in 2018, enough to start a substantial, no-bullshit investigation into Trump. Faced with repeated and lengthy sessions testifying in front of Congress under oath, Trump snaps under the pressure and resigns citing poor health. September 2019 at the latest.

2) Same as 1) but earlier, if the writing on the wall looks so poor for Congressional Republicans that the only way they can save their own seats is to pretend to be responsible adults and do some real questioning of Trump in the run-up to the 2018 election. June 2019 for this one.

3) The public get burned out by the endless stream of Trump stories, stop caring and return all their incumbents in 2018. Trump serves out his term with Pence running in 2020. Trump declares himself the bestest president ever and retires with his big pile of taxpayer money.

I'll rank likelihoods of these happening at 30%, 20%, and 40% respectively, with the last 10% for "Other" (e.g. Trump dies in office, WH staff revolt and put his head on a spike, etc). I know that doesn't help the pool much but them's my thoughts.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Or this one?
Since you asked, an updated prediction:

Early 2019, Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Schumer announce a joint select committee to investigate the crime syndicate currently in the White House. The committee sends a subpoena to Dumb Donald to testify, who responds with a tweet saying "I know you are but what am I?" The case goes to the Supreme Court and Chief Justice Roberts, of all people, casts the deciding vote that rules that he must testify before Congress. The first question asked under oath is to please recite the ABCs, and he misses three letters. Former Senator McConnell immediately tweets that those letters never existed. Back to Donald, who under oath states that he lives in a big white building that doesn't have a name and that he is the emperor of Freedonia. Four men in white coats arrive to escort him to an asylum for psychiatric evaluation, and he goes willingly because he thinks he is going to Candy Mountain. The 25th amendment is invoked but Pence refuses to take the oath because it would mean being on the stage alone with Justice Sotomayor, who has arrived to administer it to him. President Pelosi's first act is to nominate George Soros to be vice president and Republicans all over the nation spontaneously combust leaving only ashes behind. The 2020 elections are all won by Democrats, the second amendment is repealed and a new amendment to formally legalize abortion and gay marriage is quickly adopted. All nations immediately destroy all weapons of war since the age of peace and prosperity has been ushered in, a solution to global warming and a cure for cancer are found and Obama and Pelosi are added to Mount Rushmore.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:58 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:

Early 2019, Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Schumer announce a joint select committee to investigate the crime syndicate currently in the White House. The committee sends a subpoena to Dumb Donald to testify, who responds with a tweet saying "I know you are but what am I?" The case goes to the Supreme Court and Chief Justice Roberts, of all people, casts the deciding vote that rules that he must testify before Congress. The first question asked under oath is to please recite the ABCs, and he misses three letters. Former Senator McConnell immediately tweets that those letters never existed. Back to Donald, who under oath states that he lives in a big white building that doesn't have a name and that he is the emperor of Freedonia. Four men in white coats arrive to escort him to an asylum for psychiatric evaluation, and he goes willingly because he thinks he is going to Candy Mountain. The 25th amendment is invoked but Pence refuses to take the oath because it would mean being on the stage alone with Justice Sotomayor, who has arrived to administer it to him. President Pelosi's first act is to nominate George Soros to be vice president and Republicans all over the nation spontaneously combust leaving only ashes behind. The 2020 elections are all won by Democrats, the second amendment is repealed and a new amendment to formally legalize abortion and gay marriage is quickly adopted. All nations immediately destroy all weapons of war since the age of peace and prosperity has been ushered in, a solution to global warming and a cure for cancer are found and Obama and Pelosi are added to Mount Rushmore.
It's hard for me to suss out what this means.

(a) you genuinely believe the substance of the above; or

(b) you genuinely believe the dates, and have crafted a fun and fanciful story to serve as a framework for the genuine date prediction; or

(c) the entire post is a fun and fanciful prediction that
(c)(i) serves to contrast with the more serious predictions made earlier; or
(c)(ii) serves to highlight the fact that the earlier predictions were also made in jest

Can you help me understand your meaning with a straightforward answer?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:

(b) you genuinely believe the dates, and have crafted a fun and fanciful story to serve as a framework for the genuine date prediction; or

(c)(ii) serves to highlight the fact that the earlier predictions were also made in jest

Dude.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Is it? Is it really?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:

This of course are what I HOPE will happen. What I think will happen is that late this year, the Mueller investigation will be sent to Congress and it will outrage even Republicans, who will reprise the Goldwater-led visit to Nixon and tell him that the jig is up and he must resign, which he will do early in 2019, 2020 tops.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:

This is GOLD, Jerry, GOLD!

Thanks for the laugh, Bricker. I needed it.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I meant that you do smarmy shit like this and then have hifalutin justifications for it, as though you're trying to Increase Accountability and Hold People Responsible, when really you just love to gloat.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:18 AM

One thing I could not have predicted: the depravity of the entire Republican party, which is now becoming more and more apparent.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:26 AM

His last day in office shall be January 20th, 2025.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
This of course are what I HOPE will happen. What I think will happen is that late this year, the Mueller investigation will be sent to Congress and it will outrage even Republicans, who will reprise the Goldwater-led visit to Nixon and tell him that the jig is up and he must resign, which he will do early in 2019, 2020 tops.
Congressional Republicans have no sense of actual outrage or shame anymore. They occasionally fake it in feeble attempts to pretend they hold the moral high ground, but even the rabid right-wing of the Goldwater era would be considered liberals by the standards of today's Congress.

As I said, the only way Republicans turn on Trump is if sufficient numbers of the public turn on them for not turning on Trump. Hell, even the ones who are criticizing Trump still vote for his agenda and don't lift a finger to curb his excesses.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Congressional Republicans have no sense of actual outrage or shame anymore. They occasionally fake it in feeble attempts to pretend they hold the moral high ground, but even the rabid right-wing of the Goldwater era would be considered liberals by the standards of today's Congress.

As I said, the only way Republicans turn on Trump is if sufficient numbers of the public turn on them for not turning on Trump. Hell, even the ones who are criticizing Trump still vote for his agenda and don't lift a finger to curb his excesses.
Even though I fear you may be right, I refuse to believe that when confronted with compelling evidence of Donald actively cooperating with if not being directed by Putin, that Republicans would not have the decency and patriotism to do the right thing.