Old 11-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Would you buy bacon like this / Why don't they sell bacon like this?

For a long as I can remember bacon has been sold/packaged the same way. The strips layered uniformly, slightly fanned out, and vacuum sealed. From here the consumer is on their own to get the pack open, separate the strips by hand, lay them out on the cooking surface of their choice, and deal with the bacon grease clean-up at the end. Not too bad but not that convenient when you just want some bacon with your eggs in the morning.
I would love to see and purchase bacon already laid out on something like an 11x17 disposable oven safe tray coated with a non-stick surface (or lined with a sheet of parchment paper) with a slightly raised edge to contain the grease. Shrink wrapped or vacuum sealed.
Just pre-heat your oven, pull the wrap off and throw it in the oven. When you’re done with breakfast and the grease has cooled off you just throw the entire tray in the trash.
If they couldn’t make the trays rigid enough they could have you place it on a cookie sheet first.
They’d probably take up less space at the grocer since they’d be flat packed and stackable. They could easily be stocked on the bottom shelf.
You could even sell them in various sizes when you don’t need a full 15 strips.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

What about pre-cooked bacon that you could throw in the microwave or on a skillet to warm it back up and make it crispy again?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Heck, my grocery store sells bacon fully cooked, ready to eat.

ETA: ninja'd

Last edited by kayaker; 11-09-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:16 AM

I can deal with a little grease when preparing bacon. Better than generating a bunch more "disposable" plasticky trash for the landfill.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:25 PM

I'd rather buy thick-cut bacon from a local butcher. Yeah, it's more expensive, but that's okay because a slice or two satiates me more than a plateful of store-bought stuff*.

Just yesterday I fried up one hearty slice, then cooked three eggs in the grease. Mmmm, tasty low-carb breakfast (that kept me from getting hungry til late afternoon, unlike a bowl of cereal).

* (unless someone's got recommendations for a cheap-but-thick'n'smokey brand... Trader Joe's got anything good? I've got a package of their pre-cooked stuff: skinny and not a lot of flavor).

Last edited by digs; 11-09-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I can deal with a little grease when preparing bacon. Better than generating a bunch more "disposable" plasticky trash for the landfill.
Really..we need less packaging not more. I hate going to the grocery store and seeing individually plastic wrapped fruits. My teabags I bought last time were individually wrapped in plastic inside a sealed container.

Aldi sells excellent bacon in a 24oz package. Looks like a slab of meat but is sliced just not fanned out. Much better quality then normal bacon these days.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Bacon in the oven??? That's where you lost me.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Bacon in the oven is an easy way to get perfectly browned bacon slices. A cookie sheet with an edge around it is perfect for this task. And, I save the bacon drippings. It's like gold for southern cooking.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't be a customer for your idea. Here's how I handle bacon packages.

I remove all wrapping, cut all slices in half at once, then repackage it in a large baggie. I can take one (half) slice out or more to cook, and if I am using a small pan, only a half-slice will fit anyway.

I have found that both halves of a typical bacon slice cook at different rates, so cooking a half-slice makes it cook more evenly, and easier to handle. And it's cooked in a skillet, as the gods intended, not the oven.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
It works great when cooking in bulk.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Throwing out bacon grease is the part where he lost me. Bacon grease is the reason why you cook bacon in the first place.

And how on Earth would it take up less space? Same amount of bacon, more packaging.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Not needing 15 strips is where he lost me.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:18 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Bacon in the oven is an easy way to get perfectly browned bacon slices. A cookie sheet with an edge around it is perfect for this task. And, I save the bacon drippings. It's like gold for southern cooking.
LOL, toss the still factory sealed in heavy plastic slab of bacon into my sous vide at 160 F, let perk for about 4 hours [or until we get back from whatever errand we just did]. Take out, dry the outside off, snip a corner and hold over the bacon grease can and drain out all the fat. Let cool off. Lay out a few payers of paper towel and pat to dry the fat off. Lay out on cooking parchement, and freeze. Peel the bacon strips off and toss into a gallon zippy bag, and there you go. Pull them out at need, and they will cook in a minute in each side in the same pan you are going to do eggs or whatever in. Or you can eat them limp, I won't judge you - they are cooked all the way to safety =)

And I have a can of unsullied bacon fat to use for whatever =) I don't need to cook up bacon if I want to have something cooked in bacon fat =)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
It works great when cooking in bulk.
Yeah, that's how breakfast joints do it. They blanch it in the oven, then finish on the griddle per order; or just cook it through in the oven and reheat it for the order.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:03 PM

I learn something new everyday. Bacon in the oven. Okay. Now I need a new pan.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Moving thread from MPSIMS to Cafe Society, our home for bacon and other food topics.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
LOL, toss the still factory sealed in heavy plastic slab of bacon into my sous vide at 160 F, let perk for about 4 hours [or until we get back from whatever errand we just did]. Take out, dry the outside off, snip a corner and hold over the bacon grease can and drain out all the fat. Let cool off. Lay out a few payers of paper towel and pat to dry the fat off. Lay out on cooking parchement, and freeze. Peel the bacon strips off and toss into a gallon zippy bag, and there you go. Pull them out at need, and they will cook in a minute in each side in the same pan you are going to do eggs or whatever in. Or you can eat them limp, I won't judge you - they are cooked all the way to safety =)

And I have a can of unsullied bacon fat to use for whatever =) I don't need to cook up bacon if I want to have something cooked in bacon fat =)
I guess I knew there were people on the planet that sous vide bacon, there had to be. There's just so many people. And sure, some of those people are going to use the high tech technique to merely simulate frozen foods. There's just so many people in the world, you know. But I never thought I'd see someone in that corner of the Venn overlaps lol'ing about the obviousness and easiness of it. Life, she is funny.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:13 PM

I don't know about others, but I have enough room in my fridge or meat drawer to put a roughly letter size package of bacon away. But I don't have enough room to lay out / store a double that size sheet of bacon on a sheet pan.

Last edited by lingyi; 11-09-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Nothing wrong with your idea; but probably wouldn’t sell that well. The problems are:

1. You essentially have to cook all the bacon at once — so you need to cook, say, a pound. Often, I need less. It is less convenient if you don’t cook it all because you have to clean up the mess plus repackage.

2. A tray takes up a lot of space: in the delivery truck, in the store, in the fridge. Compact is good.

3. A tray might add 30 cents or more to the cost of the bacon. I’m not saying it’s a lot. But grocery profits are pennies on the dollar. Bacon has an expiry date, and while grocers discount bacon close to date, I suspect a fair bit gets wasted - and so extra fees add up.

4. Most people don’t bake bacon, even though it is good for larger batches and burns less. People often like fried eggs, bread, pancakes, tomatoes and potato — easier to fry everything at once.

5. A big tray means a big oven? Toaster ovens work well for bacon; tray sizes may vary. Easier to cook bacon in advance and microwave, if convenience is a must.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:05 PM

When I cooked the bacon every day for a breakfast restaurant, the bacon came in a big box on sheets (I'm guessing it was parchment paper?) and the sheets were laid out around 3 rows per pan and then cooked in the oven.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Way too much thought, work, steps for a friggin' slice of bacon. IMHO.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:

That is delicious lard but it is not delicious bacon grease
Old 11-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I learn something new everyday. Bacon in the oven. Okay. Now I need a new pan.
Another bonus to oven-baking bacon is the slices don't curl up.

Special treat: 5 minutes before it's done, sprinkle a little brown sugar over the tops of the slices.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post

That is delicious lard but it is not delicious bacon grease
Lard is unseasoned fat from around the kidneys of animals [generally cows and pigs, with suet being the unprocessed form*] tallow being the larger chunks of fat not from around the kidneys.

Bacon fat has been salted and flavored with smoke, maple or whatever else - it is strongly flavored compared ot lard which can be almost flavorless. Rendered by sous vide it is still 'bacon drippings' just not with BCBs added [in Pratchett terms 'burnt crunchy bits']

*one turns suet into lard by chopping it rather finely, and dumping it into a pot with water, and gently simmering until the water is gone, and all the fat has been liquified without scortching or browning it leaving liquid fat with connective tissue, one then filters out the fat from the connective tissue, I personally use a stainless steel mesh strainer with the fat poured into a mold to form bricks that can then be wrapped and sealed for future use.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Lemme tell you, when I'm cooking bacon for 400 people, the oven is the way to go.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
1. You essentially have to cook all the bacon at once — so you need to cook, say, a pound. Often, I need less. It is less convenient if you don’t cook it all because you have to clean up the mess plus repackage.
I buy store-brand thick sliced bacon, which has nine slices per one pound package. What's that, two servings? Three, if I'm being chintzy? And how long does bacon last in the refrigerator after the vacuum seal is broken? It turns grey and unappetizing in a few days. Might as well fry it up and save if that way, if you must. It never lasts around my house, though.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:12 AM

Dafuq? Bacon doesn't turn grey or go off within a couple days of opening the package.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, people were keeping bacon for months, even before refrigeration. It'll last pretty close to indefinitely, in the freezer.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:39 AM

Tangentially related: A package of bacon can last me a long time. But if you freeze the package in a block you can't pull out one or more strips to fry. People who cook a package of bacon at a time or live in households that go through a package in two days can skip the following.

A friend of mine told me about a system: open your new package of bacon and roll up each strip individually (like snails or teeny cinnamon rolls). Arrange the curls-- not touching-- in a ziplock bag and lay the bag flat in the freezer until the curls are frozen. Then they can clump together in the baggie. Pull out one or more and thaw in microwave for 15-ish seconds so you can uncurl them. Fry, bake, or microwave.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I get the double pack of thick cut bacon at COSTCO.

I cook it all at once in the oven on parchment as described above. After it's drained and cool it goes into a gallon zip loc bag in the fridge. I pull out what I need and pop in the microwave to heat.

The double pack usually lasts about three weeks or so. Never had any go bad.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:52 PM

A pound of bacon may or may not be more than a single serving of bacon. But sometimes bacon is used in smaller amounts, legend has it, as an ingredient in spaghetti sauce, salad, soup or seafood.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:55 PM

I had a smart roommate who would immediately open the store package, halve the slices, and rewrap six half slices in individual Saran wraps before putting them in the freezer.

Bacon almost always sold as stated in OP. But a couple grocery stores here divide them into separate 1/3 lb. bubbles.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Space in fridge or freezer sections are relatively costly. The distributor will often need to pay slotting fees to the store in order to get their product added to those sections. As such, anything in those sections need to sell pretty well in order to justify the high costs of offering the items for sale. What you describe is a good idea, but probably has too small a market to recoup the slotting fees and loss of profit from other items which could be in that spot. Even if space was free, I suspect the higher cost of "oven-ready bacon with disposable tray" would be higher than either the typical raw or pre-cooked bacon currently in stores. The higher price would be another issue that would affect sales where consumers would go with the lower-priced options.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I generally use bacon a quarter pound at a time (or occasionally, in multiples of a quarter pound, if I'm making a big batch of something), so when I buy a pound, I cut it across the strips (so I get shorter strips) into four equal sections, fry up one of them immediately for whatever it is I'm making that I need it for, and freeze the other three quarters each in a sandwich-sized ziplock. Yeah, they're stuck together when I take them back out, but they'll unstick in the process of frying anyway.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Just added bacon to the grocery list. Your fault!

I usually do it low and slow in the oven. It takes forever so I do the whole package at once. I put it on at around 275 for a couple of hours to completely render the fat. That way what is left is pure lean flavor. The fat I use in place of butter when I'm making eggs or other fried foods. I don't do that often though, so eventually it winds up in the trash. Good while it lasts. This method works great with pepperoni too. Little lacy disks of punch-in-the-mouth flavor.

As for the OP's idea, I could see it rolled up in parchment paper. Unroll onto baking sheet and Bob's your Uncle. But the market for bacon is falling substantially. I wouldn't recommend anything to do with pig consumption as a get rich quick scheme in the near future.

Last edited by TruCelt; 11-11-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:17 PM

Wait, I know I can't be the only one that stands there at the oven dipping bread into the still slightly warm bacon grease and eat...uh, disposing of it that way. Who has left over bacon grease to save?

As far as cooking bacon oven or stove top or microwave(yes, bacon cooks fabulously well in a microwave)depending on amounts being prepared.

For the op, if I was going to buy bacon packaged like that, I'd spring for a box of restaurant bacon since oven cooking is usually only done for large amounts of bacon

Last edited by DorkVader; 11-11-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
The fat I use in place of butter when I'm making eggs or other fried foods. I don't do that often though, so eventually it winds up in the trash.
Too bad; you know, you can keep bacon grease in the freezer for months on end. It also goes great on baked or roasted potatoes, sauteed greens or a cheesy pasta sauce. I mean, toss it if you gotta but unless you're really consuming a lot of bacon you probably can use/store it before it goes bad.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 PM

I'm so confused at all this talk about having too much bacon! How is that possible???

Most of the bacon I buy is now is 12 oz packages and makes me feel a little less guilty about eating it in one sitting. If I do somehow have extra, the next day is BLT or just B sandwiches.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
For a long as I can remember bacon has been sold/packaged the same way. The strips layered uniformly, slightly fanned out, and vacuum sealed. From here the consumer is on their own to get the pack open, separate the strips by hand, lay them out on the cooking surface of their choice, and deal with the bacon grease clean-up at the end.
All you have to do to "deal with" the bacon grease is toss a couple slices of white bread in the pan and let them soak up all the grease and get crispy and brown.

After you fry your eggs in it, of course.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:53 AM

I go to the local Amish charcuterie and buy slab bacon. I can have it cut to order by the butcher, or cut it myself. I've cut slab bacon into cubes and cooked it that way for carbonara.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
...Special treat: 5 minutes before it's done, sprinkle a little brown sugar over the tops of the slices.
I learned that from Gomer Pyle.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Absolutely. The bacon comes out of the oven perfectly cooked to the degree you want it, and you don't have a huge grease splatter mess to clean up.