Old 11-14-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Wow! The asshole doesn't fall far from the tree.
That was an unpleasant yet comic image. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Were you ever at Fort Devens Mass, or Fort Clayton in the CZ?
I was at Ft. Devens in January of 1976, Massachusetts in January is hell on earth. I experienced the coldest temperature there of my life, so far, at -33 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
That was an unpleasant yet comic image. Thanks!
Make sure an asshole doesn't have any worms before you bite into it.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I was at Ft. Devens in January of 1976, Massachusetts in January is hell on earth. I experienced the coldest temperature there of my life, so far, at -33 degrees Fahrenheit.
In the Minnesota woods, when its twenty five below zero, it get so quiet you can almost hear Nature whisper..."Die!".

- Garrison Keillor
Old 11-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I wa a Korean linguist, spent the Bicentennial year in Korea. I was there when those two American officers up on the DMZ were hacked to death by North Korean soldiers. We were that close to another war.
I was told by some guys who were stationed in Korea that we came too close, several times.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, it gets cold there. I gotta admit though the colors in the fall were post card beautiful.

I was there for the electronic repair school (had a couple of recycles but still made it through). It was 33C, got reclassified to 33S later. If I remember they also trained the 98C guys and the Morse code ditty boppers there.

I was there 1973 - 1974 or so. Definitely started in 1973.

I fished out of Mirror Lake, never caught a damn thing and spent a fair amount of off time at the bowling alley (but never got good at it).
Old 11-16-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
No doubt Junior has the genes for solipsistic narcissism.

But in fairness, he's had a tougher time than Daddy did. Senior's father actually bankrolled young Donald, quite generously, in fact. Donald had plenty of cash with which to tool around town like a big shot, racking up his impressive number of bankruptcies.

Whereas DJTJ, working only for some unspecified wages, has had to perform like a dancing squirrel for Donald, slaving away in Donald's collection of disastrous "businesses," with only occasional breaks.

And no matter how many African animals he slaughters on those breaks, he knows every minute that he's going to have to come back to Daddy's side and dance like the mangy little squirrel that he is.
I support this comment whole-heartily without reservation. I will choose by voting the f***rs to dust.

Thanks ex-mil for speaking up.
VOTE!!!
Get this baboon out of office.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Srsly! These two freaks, Junior and Eric, come across as total slime balls.

They remind me, more than anything, of Uday and Qusay, the two depraved offshoots of Saddam Hussein.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Srsly! These two freaks, Junior and Eric, come across as total slime balls.

They remind me, more than anything, of Uday and Qusay, the two depraved offshoots of Saddam Hussein.
Except even Uday and Qusay actually were in the military at some point.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I don't get this. Are you not supposed to salute lieutenants?
Not in wartime when the enemy was certainly watching. You usually don't wear rank in some situations. Lieuies are universally the object of contempt because so many of them come out of OCS with a huge chip on their shoulder.

First Sgts on the other hand, actually get shit done.

My Dad was a Ranger for three years in the South Pacific. At some point they must have been in a camp, so his 1st. Sgt. got bored.

When I fought in Iraq, we totally sanitized our uniforms of everything, because my squad was outside the wire so often and one of the local Sheikhs offered bounties on each of our heads.

Got out of the gun turret one day in Baghdad, covered with dust and sweat, haven't been able to drink water for three hours, with my CO pouring water over my head to try and cool me off. (It had been frozen solid when we loaded up that morning.) Some REMF comes prancing up to me in his neatly-pressed uniform and boonie cap, wearing just a sidearm, no flak vest, no helmet, looks me up and down, and says, "Do you know you have no name or rank on that uniform?"

"No, sir, but if you hum a few bars I'll give it a shot."

And that is one of many reasons I never got promoted in Iraq. (Along with, "I have all due respect for your rank, SERGEANT, but you, personally, you're an asshole." That to a guy who got a friend of mine killed, is responsible for the life-changing injury suffered by a second, and never wrote up the third for the Purple Heart she certainly earned.)
Old 11-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Lieuies are universally the object of contempt because so many of them come out of OCS with a huge chip on their shoulder.
What's the chip from?
Old 11-17-2019, 11:59 AM

Seriously?
Old 11-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Seriously?
Yes. Pretend I never watched war movies.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I never went to OCS, but I don't suppose it's likely that most shavetails come out of it with their egos fully stocked up on positive feedback.

And once in the field?

I first read it in the Schlock Mercenary webcomic, but it rings true: "A sergeant in motion outranks a lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on."
Old 11-17-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Yes. Pretend I never watched war movies.
Newly-minted officers have a well-deserved reputations for arrogance and know-it-allism. Meanwhile, a good 1st. Sgt. runs the show, and a smart commander lets him do it.

I once broke my leg in three places on my way to drill, and my 1st. Sgt marched over to the commander's desk with line-of-duty paperwork, and said, "Sign this." Then he remembered. "Sir." This can often be affectionate.

There's a lot of good-natured joking in the military about new lieuies, and the rivalry between officers and enlisted is mostly good fun. If you find yourself under a mustang----an officer who worked his way from private to officer----you are often lucky indeed, because those officers know what it's like and they do not want to treat their troops that way. I had a CO like that in Iraq. I'd follow that man anywhere. Even today, if he crooked his finger, I'd make arrangements for my kitties, pack a bag, and follow.

When I went to DLI, (Defense Language Institute), all the lieuies would hold their coffees in their right hand, so us lower ranks used to keep an eye out and salute them. Sometimes we'd form a loosely-grouped gaggle on the way to class, resulting in a delicate situation where the lieutenant would have to salute repeatedly.

(And if anybody feels the urge to invoke the "crazy cat lady" trope---not you, but in general----keep this in mind. The VA told me "Women weren't in combat," when I came back, despite there being video proof, despite a medal citation describing how my position was over-run during the battle, and despite the sheer idiocy of thinking the Mahdi Army would exempt female American soldiers. For five years, every single day, I endured panic attacks at the idea of just getting into vehicles(and nobody told me what a panic attack was), had nightmares where I was the one getting my buddies killed, stopped sleeping because of the nightmares, had hallucinations where voices told me to kill myself (and I DID try), and through all this had headaches so bad I couldn't see and could only curl up on the floor and pull a blanket over my head to block the light.

And through all this, the kitties would come and curl up against me, put their faces against mine, purr, and get as close to me as they could, and perhaps most importantly, give no indication that those evil voices belonged to actual people. Which they would have. They kept me alive, unlike people who call any woman with cats "crazy cat lady" but never "female soldier with cats." Always. Even some other soldiers do that. They tend to be Republican, strangely enough. And Stolen Valor.)
Old 11-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Newly-minted officers have a well-deserved reputations for arrogance and know-it-allism. Meanwhile, a good 1st. Sgt. runs the show, and a smart commander lets him do it.

I once broke my leg in three places on my way to drill, and my 1st. Sgt marched over to the commander's desk with line-of-duty paperwork, and said, "Sign this." Then he remembered. "Sir." This can often be affectionate.

There's a lot of good-natured joking in the military about new lieuies, and the rivalry between officers and enlisted is mostly good fun. If you find yourself under a mustang----an officer who worked his way from private to officer----you are often lucky indeed, because those officers know what it's like and they do not want to treat their troops that way. I had a CO like that in Iraq. I'd follow that man anywhere. Even today, if he crooked his finger, I'd make arrangements for my kitties, pack a bag, and follow.

When I went to DLI, (Defense Language Institute), all the lieuies would hold their coffees in their right hand, so us lower ranks used to keep an eye out and salute them. Sometimes we'd form a loosely-grouped gaggle on the way to class, resulting in a delicate situation where the lieutenant would have to salute repeatedly.

(And if anybody feels the urge to invoke the "crazy cat lady" trope---not you, but in general----keep this in mind. The VA told me "Women weren't in combat," when I came back, despite there being video proof, despite a medal citation describing how my position was over-run during the battle, and despite the sheer idiocy of thinking the Mahdi Army would exempt female American soldiers. For five years, every single day, I endured panic attacks at the idea of just getting into vehicles(and nobody told me what a panic attack was), had nightmares where I was the one getting my buddies killed, stopped sleeping because of the nightmares, had hallucinations where voices told me to kill myself (and I DID try), and through all this had headaches so bad I couldn't see and could only curl up on the floor and pull a blanket over my head to block the light.

And through all this, the kitties would come and curl up against me, put their faces against mine, purr, and get as close to me as they could, and perhaps most importantly, give no indication that those evil voices belonged to actual people. Which they would have. They kept me alive, unlike people who call any woman with cats "crazy cat lady" but never "female soldier with cats." Always. Even some other soldiers do that. They tend to be Republican, strangely enough. And Stolen Valor.)

1) Maybe what you meant by "chip on their shoulder", is better described as 'an over-inflated sense of confidence prior to it being informed by experience'.
2) It sounds more like military tradition than a universal truism. You fuck with them, they fuck with you. Rinse, repeat.
3) Cats are awesome.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Except even Uday and Qusay actually were in the military at some point.
They were scum, but not cowards.

We used to call them Itchy and Scratchy
Old 11-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:

"When you get to hell, tell 'em Itchy sent you."

Sorry, I just really like that line, couldn’t resist.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:

That always makes me feel itchy AND scratchy.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Late in my career, when I was a Navy Chief, someone saw fit to send me my very own Ensign to play with. He was a nice enough kid; actually too nice to be a junior officer. It was my job to try to get him to buck up and learn how things work. He called me one day and the convo went like this:

"Uh, Chief, do you think you could come over to my office to talk about something?"

"Jesus, Ensign, you're the officer and I'm the enlisted guy. Just say "Chief, get your ass over to my office, ASAP!"

::slight nervous chuckle:: "Okay Chief, get your ass over to my office."

"Can't. Too busy." And I hung up.

He was in my office within two minutes, red in the face, pointed his finger at me and said "Don't EVER do that again!"

"That's more like it, Ensign Smith."
Old 11-17-2019, 08:26 PM

margin and Chefguy, you should both write books. (Seriously.)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
margin and Chefguy, you should both write books. (Seriously.)

Hah. The broken leg incident? I had a thigh-high cast on that leg for three months, but I started to lose my mind from boredom. So Top sent me to Ukraine in a walking cast. Then I came back to the US for an interrogator course. When I got there, I had just graduated from the walking cast, but my leg was still thin and weak.

Then I looked at the fine print for the course and saw that a PT test within three months or so was necessary to take the class.

I was just about to start panicking when I noticed a PT card in my packet.

Apparently I'd taken a PT test right smack dab in the middle of the "three month cast" thing. Somehow.

Filled out in my First Sgt.'s handwriting.

Did okay on it. Nothing spectacular. But, damn, you have to love these old school NCOs.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Hah. The broken leg incident? I had a thigh-high cast on that leg for three months, but I started to lose my mind from boredom. So Top sent me to Ukraine in a walking cast. Then I came back to the US for an interrogator course. When I got there, I had just graduated from the walking cast, but my leg was still thin and weak.

Then I looked at the fine print for the course and saw that a PT test within three months or so was necessary to take the class.

Apparently I'd taken a PT test right smack dab in the middle of the "three month cast" thing. Somehow.

Did okay on it. Nothing spectacular. But, damn, you have to love these old school NCOs.
That's a good story for the book! ^_^
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Yeah, the old NCOs were pretty cool, once they got to know you.

Filling out the card yourself?

Well it worked that time.