Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Right here is how Colibri should have handled it, with a slight change of wording for the situation.

"Users are reminded that insults are not permitted outside the Pit. We appreciate that this remark was made in the context of a joke in response to a setup comment made by the OP; thus this is only a note. Be that as it may, any further remarks along these lines will receive warnings."

This did not merit a warning by Colibri. A mod note would have been sufficient. Ed Zotti set a good example to follow.
This is it, exactly.

I assume the fact the OP of this thread has not returned is an indication that he has wisely decided to move on. One warning isn't really a big deal.

I hope Colibri takes this in the spirit of constructive feedback rather than criticism, as IMO he does a very good job regardless.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 AM

Another vote for not remotely a joke, pure insult.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 AM

FTR, from the GQ rules...

Quote:
The purpose of General Questions is to get factual questions answered. In order to accomplish this we need the threads to stay on topic. We tolerate some joking, but that is generally acceptable only after the question has been answered. Please do not race to a thread to post that hilarious one-liner in response to the thread title, and don't drive by just to drop in an anecdote that doesn't answer the question. If you want to be funny while contributing to the thread, go for it. We tolerate some discussion of tangentially related factual information. We don't tolerate political, religious, professional or personal jabs or insults. In case it's somehow not clear: Trolling isn't permitted at all.
... bolding mine.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Poster starts a thread, ends it with "Explain for me, please. Or at least reveal I am a moron for even considering this." I make the joke "You are a moron for even considering this." Get warning for an insult.
"Reveal" says to me that he wanted an intelligent explanation as to why his opinion/feeling/idea was totally off base. It wasn't a request to be gratuitously insulted.

This board can be likened to a playing a field, and the moderators are the "officials". If you've ever played sports, you know that a smart player picks up on the officiating style and adapts to it. He doesn't defy it or push the edge of the envelope because he knows he is going to accrue fouls/penalties and hurt himself.

I've received an admonishment and an actual warning, but they helped me learn the parameters of what is acceptable and how to adapt to the environment. Sometimes it's about being a team player and not about the almighty *I*.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 AM

I think everyone is avoiding John Mace's point ... this comment in question was made very early in the thread, before the General Question had be given its Factual Answer ... that's a major no-no and will bring a moderator crashing down every time ... that's note-able, plus it's a personal insult, two notes makes a warning ...

Better wording and later in the thread and I think the comment in question gets a pass ... just a little deflection off the person and this is fine ... insult the post, not the poster ... and always wait until the question is answered ...
Old 06-14-2018, 08:27 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Wrong. He asked to "reveal" he was a moron by explaining the question to him. He never asked to be called a moron.
My read on it as well. I've been known sometimes to use the phrase "you may think me an idiot but ......" and you are indeed welcome to think so. But even if I take it as a joke and am not offended, actually posting "you are an idiot" would cross the line. Especially with no reasoning of your own to indicate just why you have that opinion.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 AM

I don't think it matters if it's a joke. It's a GQ rule, just like no political jabs. No insulting Dopers, no exceptions. I don't think DG intended to break the rules, or intended to actually insult the OP in that thread, but sometimes you get noted or warned based on strict construction of the rules no matter the intent.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 AM

Colibri blew this one bad.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Colibri blew this one bad.
A statement like that is incomplete unless it ends with a subordinate clause beginning with the word, "because".
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 AM

It makes no sense to me that someone who's otherwise posted inoffensively gets a warning and not the benefit of the doubt for one dumb post, yet others have free rein to crap all over the board without penalty.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:11 AM

I choose to leave out "because." because his error is obvious in view of the OP's request. Being accommodating is not being insulting.

Last edited by Morgenstern; 06-14-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
I think everyone is avoiding John Mace's point ... this comment in question was made very early in the thread, before the General Question had be given its Factual Answer ... that's a major no-no and will bring a moderator crashing down every time ... that's note-able, plus it's a personal insult, two notes makes a warning ...

Better wording and later in the thread and I think the comment in question gets a pass ... just a little deflection off the person and this is fine ... insult the post, not the poster ... and always wait until the question is answered ...
The question had been adequately answered by the two posts preceding the joke/insult, IMO. But we're all splitting hairs here really, I don't think there is much fundamental disagreement. I am assuming from the OP's posting history that he has the intelligence to learn from this and move on. I thought it was funny but it wouldn't be the first time I thought something funny that others thought offensive.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

This topic has been thoroughly aired. A couple final remarks and then I'm closing this thread:

1. To restate what has already been said, there is no joke exception to the no-insults rule. This rule was clearly stated many years ago, precisely to avoid the type of complaint seen in this thread. We do not want to get into hair splitting about whether something is a joke in the form of an insult or an insult in the form of a joke. I say again: Insults directed at other users outside the Pit, even in jest, are a violation of our rules and subject to warning or other action as we deem appropriate.

2. We do not have a zero tolerance policy regarding rule violations. Receiving a warning is just that: a warning. It does not mean you are on the verge of getting banned. Banning of long-time users is relatively rare and typically occurs only after (a) they have received multiple warnings and sometimes suspensions, and (b) the staff has discussed the matter and reached a consensus. All such decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. To be clear, warnings are meant to be taken seriously, but they're not the kiss of death.

Last edited by Ed Zotti; 06-14-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added Pit clarification
Closed Thread