Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Sam, what follows is a serious suggestion.

I was a CS major too. Although my Masters was in business, not more CS.

CS is probably the most artificial form of engineering. The systems we rely upon, our raw materials if you will, have their challenges. But they don't have nearly the complexities and inhomogeneities of things like actual steel beams or actual concrete. Which differ significantly from idealized beams of idealized steel.

To a CS-trained mind, the world is not only more complex than we understand, it's more complex than we can understand. We, the CS gurus, lose our ability to recognize all the ways in which the messy substrates of the real world are not nearly so tractable as the clean, simple, and manmade substrate of pure math & logic. We spend so much time succeeding at managing spherical cows to good effect that we forget about the messy reality of real flesh-and-blood cows.

It's a common failing of CS people. But it can be worked past.

I have no real education in biology or chemistry beyond 101-level classes. I've read a lot of layman's materials and people tell my I've got a hell of a memory, but I don't have any real expertise in these areas.

Some years ago I stumbled on this blog. http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline...l-all-the-time

Turns out the guy is real famous in his field as the elder statesman of bloggers who've got something smart to say about a pretty deep topic. He's a medicinal chemist, a guy who searches for and perfects medicines. I've read every post of his for the last 8 years. Along the way I've learned a great deal about the big picture of chemistry, biochemistry, cellular biology and organism biology.

He has slowly taught me that our current understanding of cellular & organism-level biology is on a par with primitive tribes' understanding of physics. It's not dead wrong, but there's vast tracts of pure guesswork and areas where we can't tell first order effects from 4th order effects. As well as vast areas we don't even know exist.

What makes him magic is that beyond his PhD and his 30+ years in the industry doing cutting edge stuff there's a deep-seated humility and a total absence of boosterism and hucksterism. We know more than did the witch doctors baying at the Moon. But not that much more versus how deep this stuff really is. We've barely scratched the surface of understanding how any of this stuff really works.

Try reading him for a bit. Follow the links back to earlier articles. Learn how much we know that we don't know. Which supports the reasonable estimate that the unknown unknowns are far larger yet.

IMO there's not much difference between something that's impossible as a matter of physics and something that's impossible as a matter of engineering we won't have for another 5000 years. I recognize that logically those are polar opposites: one impossible, the other possible. But practically they amount to the same thing. 100% of any effort spent today in that direction is waste and distraction from more practical things that are just beyond our grasp. That's where scientists and engineers live and work: just beyond our current grasp.

Ultimately, thinking and debating about humanities' tech in 5000 years is sterile. The noise so far outweighs the signal as to be pointless. All it leads to is people pointing fingers and stamping their feet.

As you almost said, the Universe is an existence proof for a way to make a universe. And biology is an existence proof for nanotech. But to jump from there to a) humans will master that tech; and further that b) we, or one of our AI tools, will do it soon is hubris. Nothing but hubris.

Dunning-Kruger is real. The greater one's expertise, the more they recognize the limitations to their knowledge and skill. Their awareness of those unknown unknowns grows ever larger. There is wisdom in the intellectual humility that flows from that understanding. Reductionism is the blithe statement that either there are no unknown unknowns, or they don't matter. Either of those POVs are foolish.

I think you're probably smarter than that. What you are not yet, is disciplined enough to act on those smarts.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 12-27-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:20 PM

He's got a great imagination, and with a little work, and some research, he could end up being a great Sci-Fi writer. Seriously Sam, go take some writing classes, a little effort here and you might do it.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:23 PM

Izzat what we got here, some young punk with a brain who thinks he's accumulated all the knowledge and knows everything while the rest of us who may have passed through that brief stage in high school or college as well are morons to the last man?

Take a number kid, you ain't all that.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
You said it doesn't work and it won't work.
Such a turnaround in an hour.
One post is sarcasm. Tell me which one if you want me to continue reading your posts.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 AM

Choose carefully, running coach. The stakes are high.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
One post is sarcasm. Tell me which one if you want me to continue reading your posts.
Do you need help figuring out how the "Ignore" function works?
Quote:
This is why you're on my ignore list. What are you contributing here?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
As you almost said, the Universe is an existence proof for a way to make a universe. And biology is an existence proof for nanotech. But to jump from there to a) humans will master that tech; and further that b) we, or one of our AI tools, will do it soon is hubris. Nothing but hubris.
You realize that what you are talking about there are terms where some of them nearly infinitely times harder than others.

I don't know how the universe was made and it might require things that don't exist inside the universe itself or can be manipulated in any way. I did mention it was far fetched.

Believe it or not, most of my ideas do not require nanotech. Self replicating factories don't need it. And the AI I've talked about in my posts in the last 6 months isn't the sci fi concept of AI. We're not talking about machines that can even carry on a conversation, they are just big mathematical algorithms that explore a solution space and choose the min( possible paths ). They use other algorithms, also capable of automatic adjustment, to actually model the world and classify what is in it.

Such algorithms could control a robot to efficiently perform any repetitive factory task. But they could also scale to controlling a robot that can actually build a rube goldberg machine to solve a defined task, and later to automated designs that are as good as human engineers.

Oceans of money are flowing in this direction. The difference between now and "then" (none of these algorithms are new) is that quantity matters. It's a different world when billions of dollars and tens of thousands of people are working on AI vs millions of dollars and dozens of people in elite computer science labs are working on AI.

It may take decades to go from "we know the tech can do it, it does scale far enough" (present state) to "basically all factories, mines, farms, retail stores, warehouses, and cars and trucks can be automated, with commercial off the shelf products existing for all tasks".

And as I mention, once you hit that point, you could dip into nanotech or mass biological research and hit the problem with a million times current capabilities. Instead of a few greying PhDs like your favorite blogger, working semi-independently, you'd study the problem on a colossal scale using a lot of new tools.

So it's not going to take 5000 years. It can't. This would be like you saying that a flight around the world is going to always take 2 years in the air. Distance and time don't add up and your estimate is so far off it's silly. With that said, no I can't say exactly when, and I do not know what the social outcomes will be in a world where every job can be automated. The current system of capitalism, working exactly as it has worked for centuries, would reward only those who own robots and land and give not a penny to any of the displaced human workers. Those same rich owners can then bribe the government, since that's allowed in the United States in practice, to make sure only the most meager and grudging forms of social support are given to all those lazy "takers" who can't seem to find a job because all their skills are tasks a machine can do better.

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Do you need help figuring out how the "Ignore" function works?
You really get a kick out of that one, huh. "This guy thinks he's smart yet he can't even find a small text button in the UI visible from a certain screen on his 4k monitor. He must be a moron, I can't be the moron."

Totally logical reasoning there. And I only put the deserving on my ignore list, which currently has just 2 entries. Though it may be about 5 soon, given there are several posters in this thread who are just wasting space.

I don't mind being argued with. I like being reasoned with. I don't like being blithely dismissed in 1 sentence or called a crackpot when most of what I am posting you can just read about in scientific american yourself...

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
You really get a kick out of that one, huh. "This guy thinks he's smart yet he can't even find a small text button in the UI visible from a certain screen on his 4k monitor. He must be a moron, I can't be the moron."

Totally logical reasoning there. And I only put the deserving on my ignore list, which currently has just 2 entries. Though it may be about 5 soon, given there are several posters in this thread who are just wasting space.

I don't mind being argued with. I like being reasoned with. I don't like being blithely dismissed in 1 sentence or called a crackpot when most of what I am posting you can just read about in scientific american yourself...
Stealth brag!!!!!

Pretty pathetic, actually.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Though it may be about 5 soon, given there are several posters in this thread who are just wasting space.
You really don't grasp the concept of a pit thread, do you, you condescending, patronizing, self-aggrandizing delusional racist asshole?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How bad are your eyes if you need a 4K screen to see buttons?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Well, that explains a lot. You've started reading Scientific American. Now that you have a superficial understanding, you've begun bloviating instead of doing actual research, all mixed in with your obsessiveness about life after death and nanobots.

I'd ask you to come back when you have a clue, but don't. Fuck off.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Guess they must be pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
You really don't grasp the concept of a pit thread, do you, you condescending, patronizing, self-aggrandizing delusional racist asshole?
I'm human like anyone else. I'm no doubt all of those. I just stepped in here to clear up the criticism that isn't true. Yeah, I said something racist on a thread. (don't remember doing it, but it is what it is). Maybe being confident that p=mv and the rate of total progress is accelerating makes me condescending, patronizing and self-aggrandizing when I point out to you people when you're definitely, 100% wrong because reality says you're wrong.

But you're worse. I think most people, if they even read your posts in this thread, would agree you're just pitting yourself. You have added little to nothing of value, made sweeping conclusions without evidence, and are just generally a dick. There's a reason you're one of the only 2 people I have ignored.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I apologize-You were referring to nano-buttons, weren't you?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Well, that explains a lot. You've started reading Scientific American. Now that you have a superficial understanding, you've begun bloviating instead of doing actual research, all mixed in with your obsessiveness about life after death and nanobots.

I'd ask you to come back when you have a clue, but don't. Fuck off.
ignore list is now 3. The straw here is that you are being lazy. Instead of claiming my understanding is superficial, pick an important point and justify why your understanding is more in depth.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Guess they must be pretty bad.

I'm human like anyone else. I'm no doubt all of those. I just stepped in here to clear up the criticism that isn't true. Yeah, I said something racist on a thread. (don't remember doing it, but it is what it is). Maybe being confident that p=mv and the rate of total progress is accelerating makes me condescending, patronizing and self-aggrandizing when I point out to you people when you're definitely, 100% wrong because reality says you're wrong.

But you're worse. I think most people, if they even read your posts in this thread, would agree you're just pitting yourself. You have added little to nothing of value, made sweeping conclusions without evidence, and are just generally a dick. There's a reason you're one of the only 2 people I have ignored.
Are you beta-testing a new "reality" that the rest of us don't have access to?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
How is it any more impossible than the crap you've been peddling?
+4. This is too sweeping to bother paying attention to you. First, I haven't peddled shit. If you believe I have, find a post where I name some foundation I want you to donate to or some store I want you to buy stuff at, something. Hell, I haven't even mentioned some society that is for the advancement of nanotech (is there one?). Second, some of my ideas are less scientifically certain than others*, but all are based on real, working principles, and to dismiss them all as crap reveals you are too ignorant to pay attention to.

*for example, we don't know we can cut apart a frozen human brain and recover the data, but given we have electron microscopes and have cut apart smaller brains from smaller animals and build emulators, we probably could in fact do it with humans. So the uncertainty exists but we have proof of concept.

We don't know that self replicating nanotech is possible but since we appear to be constructed of it, it probably is.

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:12 AM

Samuel, if half of what you say is right, then your visionary brilliance is wasted going on about it on an Internet forum and working for your father in some low yield job. Perhaps you should publish in journals or work in firms working in nanotechnology or the other wonderful things full of potential you keep telling us about.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 12-28-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:12 AM

This thread looks quite different when SamuelA is the one on Ignore. And better by a magnitude of thousands, naturally.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
This thread looks quite different when SamuelA is the one on Ignore. And better by a magnitude of thousands, naturally.
Well that's an insult worthy of ignoring you.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Suspended

Maybe you can invent a self-replicating nano-bot to manage your Ignore list.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Well that's an insult worthy of ignoring you.
You do realize that you are in a BBQ Pit thread dedicated to Pitting you, right? You are going to end up with a record-breaking "Ignore" list before this runs its course, dipshit.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 12-28-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Samuel, if half of what you say is right, then your visionary brilliance is wasted going on about it on an Internet forum and working for your father in some low yield job. Perhaps you should publish in journals or work in firms working in nanotechnology or the other wonderful things full of potential you keep telling us about.
How many of those jobs do you suppose exist, vs 'code monkey' positions that are generic? In order to do what you are saying, I'd have to be 10 years younger, I'd have to have richer parents so I could afford SAT prep courses (I missed some points on the math section, ironically), maybe if people didn't bully me in high school I would have had better grades.

Jobs like you are describing basically require a PhD from MIT or Stanford and a shit-ton of luck. There's only one Ray Kurzweil, and he was ignored for a very long time, and he spent his whole life shilling dubious predictions*.

Has it occurred to you that there are probably many people like me, but society at the present time lacks interest in such visionary efforts?

Remember the post I felt the most passionate about? There's a very real (from a "laws of physics view") possibility we could be preserving human brains right before death in a way that works.

Other people with far more reputation than me have pointed this out. They have mostly been ignored. Not with arguments based on fact, generally, but mainly a bunch of tired ideas that are bullshit..but most people believe them. Ideas like "if people didn't die, the earth would be overcrowded". "if people didn't die, no social justice progress would be made". "you'll never see heaven if you remain alive". And other total malarky.

So we let a million people a year die and spend 600 billion year on a gigantic military to "protect" our citizens from possible death from foreign attack. Oh and even more than that on medicare, which shovels money to institutions to "memory care" for patients who are steadily degrading from dementia.

You call me a crackpot for proposing brain preservation. "memory care" is literally a medical treatment that doesn't work at all. It does fuck all. The dementia patients keep getting worse. You can give an elderly person physical therapy so they can use a spoon again and then they'll just forget it. At least if you froze them, there's a chance.

So yeah, I wish I could do more with my life. But I can't. And it's probably only a little my fault.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Maybe being confident that p=mv and the rate of total progress is accelerating makes me condescending, patronizing and self-aggrandizing when I point out to you people when you're definitely, 100% wrong because reality says you're wrong.
No, when you are being condescending and patronizing is when you have implied that maybe Stranger on a Train and Sunny Daze are really lying about being authorities in what they claim to be, and then saying that if they were really that intelligent they would see that what you are saying is obviously true. You are a poster boy for "mansplaining."
Old 12-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Sammy. Sit down, listen to me. Okay?

You've put some really good people on ignore today. That's totally unnecessary and will result in you missing some good posts by those folks.
If you can't stand some anonymous person calling you names on the internet, you'll never get your gold class internet merit badge.
If we weren't all bozos, we wouldn't be on this bus. So quit trying to drive our bus in fucking circles. Just sit down and listen. Fit in a little better.

first person to mention licking the bus windows gets an STD from the hooker in his boat thread.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
ignore list is now 3. The straw here is that you are being lazy. Instead of claiming my understanding is superficial, pick an important point and justify why your understanding is more in depth.
You actually think being on you ignore list is a punishment? it's actually a relief, nanodick.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Sammy. Sit down, listen to me. Okay?

You've put some really good people on ignore today. That's totally unnecessary and will result in you missing some good posts by those folks.
If you can't stand some anonymous person calling you names on the internet, you'll never get your gold class internet merit badge.
If we weren't all bozos, we wouldn't be on this bus. So quit trying to drive our bus in fucking circles. Just sit down and listen. Fit in a little better.

first person to mention licking the bus windows gets an STD from the hooker in his boat thread.
Quote:
You actually think being on you ignore list is a punishment? it's actually a relief, nanodick.
Yeah I think this guy deserves his slot.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah I think this guy deserves his slot.
*does victory dance*
Old 12-28-2017, 11:35 AM

How long before Sammy's ignore list is longer than the absent idle_thoughts' friend list?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
How long before Sammy's ignore list is longer than the absent idle_thoughts' friend list?
A while. I only put complete waste of space posters on it. The guy who claims to work at Stanford who claims that letting a patient rot until they are braindead is "good" while freezing them before then is definitely murder is "evil"? At least he was willing to consider each argument independently.

He didn't sweepingly just call me a shill for some unspecified idea or company like running coach has or claim that 100% of everything I have posted is crackpot like you did. That's the reason you are on ignore and he is not.

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Sammy. Try to understand, it's not you. We don't know you. We only know you from what you post. You're young and excited about technology. You let that excitement get in the way of reality sometimes. That's why people get on your ass.

It's not too late. All you have to do is listen to people who have more knowledge than you do in the fields you explore. Listen and learn. Asking "why" will never get you piled on. Telling experts that they are wrong because they won't listen to you, will get you piled on.

You're here in an world of people who have vastly different interests and education than you. Ask just about any question, and someone will have an answer or tell you where the answer is.
Free exchange of ideas, even far out ideas, is fine here. Your questions aren't the problem, it's your response to those who respond with facts you don't like that leads to the problems.

If I was in your position I'd immediately unblock those who you've blocked.
I'd start asking "why" instead of telling experts how it really is.
A year from now, you'll find that listening makes you much smarter than talking ever could.

Last edited by Morgenstern; 12-28-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
My citations are thus:
1. My I.Q. has three digits, not two.
2. Reality
3. "Fog in a vacuum"......riiiight
Ok, there's enough for ignore. Reasons are :

1. I don't even consider this an insult. I've taken IQ tests, I know what it is, and you should be able to tell it's above average. If you can't, well, that reveals a failing on your part, not mine. If you call a supermodel ugly, you're just proving that you're blind and they are not going to be hurt. Insults need to have a grain of truth to work.

2. What are you claiming reality about?

3. You do know that fog can be other liquids than water, and some liquids are stable enough to form a fog briefly in vacuum. Did you read Lost Moon by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger? Of course you didn't. There was a visible fog of liquid oxygen vapor when they blew their oxygen tank.

Anyways even that wouldn't be enough, but you've made meaningless insults about 8 more times in this thread as well. Really, making fun of my eyes? What kind of low brow insult is that?

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
A while. I only put complete waste of space posters on it. The guy who claims to work at Stanford who claims that letting a patient rot until they are braindead is "good" while freezing them before then is definitely murder is "evil"? At least he was willing to consider each argument independently.

He didn't sweepingly just call me a shill for some unspecified idea or company like running coach has or claim that 100% of everything I have posted is crackpot like you did. That's the reason you are on ignore and he is not.
Are you using a definition of "ignore" that has yet to be released to the general public?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Sammy. Try to understand, it's not you. We don't know you. we only know you from what you post. You're young and excited about technology. You let the excitement get in the way of reality sometimes. That's why people get on your ass.

It's not too late. All you have to do is listen to people who have more knowledge than you do in the fields you explore. Listen and learn. Asking "why" will never get you piled on. Telling experts that are wrong because they won't listen to you, will get you piled on.

You're here in the midst of a collection of people who have vastly different interests and education. Ask just about any question, and someone will have an answer or tell you where the answer is.
Free exchange of ideas, even far out ideas, is fine here. Your questions aren't the problem, it's your response to those who respond with facts you don't like leads to the problems.

If I was in your position I'd immediately unblock those who you've blocked.
I'd start asking "why" instead of telling experts how it really is.
A year from now, you'll find that listening makes you much smarter than talking ever could.
Running coach, Darren Garrison, Czarism...what are they experts in?

Why should I listen to them if they won't do more than make generic insults?

I do ask why. What kind of "expert" calls someone a nanodick? What kind of "expert" disagrees on every single thread I ever make but can't give a technical reason why? Not only is that childish, if I did have a nanodick, it wouldn't be my fault, now, would it? Why would that offend me?

No, what would offend me is the truth. I have a large dick but I rarely get to use it. Now that's something to insult someone over. That would be genuinely hurtful if someone made fun of me for that. Since that would mean I was unsuccessful in my 'spitting game' to attract mates, something that would theoretically be within my control. If I had a nanodick, that would simply mean that nature decided not to equip me for that at all.

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

1. I don't even consider this an insult. I've taken IQ tests, I know what it is, and you should be able to tell it's above average. If you can't, well, that reveals a failing on your part, not mine. If you call a supermodel ugly, you're just proving that you're blind and they are not going to be hurt. Insults need to have a grain of truth to work.

3. You do know that fog can be other liquids than water, and some liquids are stable enough to form a fog briefly in vacuum. Did you read Lost Moon by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger? Of course you didn't. There was a visible fog of liquid oxygen vapor when they blew their oxygen tank.

Anyways even that wouldn't be enough, but you've made meaningless insults about 8 more times in this thread as well. Really, making fun of my eyes? What kind of low brow insult is that?
"Low-brow", not "low brow".
edited to add: This "Czarism" person really seems to have ticked you off. What did he say?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 12-28-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

It doesn't stay a fog.
I could go outside on a cold day and create a "fog". Doesn't mean it's now a foggy day.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:

No, what would offend me is the truth. I have a large dick but I rarely get to use it. Now that's something to insult someone over. That would be genuinely hurtful if someone made fun of me for that.
Well, better stand by. I know these people pretty well, and I predict the next 2 pages will be about your dick.

Now, you can let it piss you off, or you can laugh with them. I'd suggest the latter.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
It doesn't stay a fog.
I could go outside on a cold day and create a "fog". Doesn't mean it's now a foggy day.
This is quite pedantic and irrelevant for the general point. Which is that if you have a fog, and want to move that fog, and all you have is a device that creates sharp, sudden impulses like a gun, you can in fact move the fog by shooting it if you load the gun with projectiles that are small relative to fog size.

So if a rubble pile asteroid were coming to the earth, you might have to use smaller nukes detonated very close to each major piece of that asteroid.

Running coach, what do you consider yourself an expert in?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is quite pedantic and irrelevant for the general point. Which is that if you have a fog, and want to move that fog, and all you have is a device that creates sharp, sudden impulses like a gun, you can in fact move the fog by shooting it if you load the gun with projectiles that are small relative to fog size.

So if a rubble pile asteroid were coming to the earth, you might have to use smaller nukes detonated very close to each major piece of that asteroid.

Running coach, what do you consider yourself an expert in?
What do you think? Doesn't mean I don't know you're blowing smoke fog.

Ignore
Quote:
verb (used with object), ignored, ignoring.
to refrain from noticing or recognizing:
Old 12-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I will say "I don't get laid a lot" is a novel defense of scientific obdurism. (Is that a word? It is now!)
Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a large dick but I rarely get to use it.
Just to remind everyone, have you considered making "Large Dick" your personalized title?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I will say "I don't get laid a lot" is a novel defense of scientific obdurism. (Is that a word? It is now!)
I would say that "reading a comment about my dick size and assuming it applies to a different topic" is simple illiteracy, myself. Also, yeah, obdurism isn't a word. Did you mean something with a root word of obstinate? Which all good scientists should be : you do have to assume basic laws of physics are correct or you're not going to get anywhere, and ignore anyone like Darren Garrison who says otherwise.

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I would say that "reading a comment about my dick size and assuming it applies to a different topic" is simple illiteracy, myself.
You brought it up...or at least pointed it in the general direction, considering.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
What do you think? Doesn't mean I don't know you're blowing smoke fog.

Ignore
You've made 30k posts here, but I got bored when the last 500 were about Trump. He's a bad man and there's nothing we can do about it, jeez. As for "ignore", this simply means I choose when to read a post by you. Morgenstern said I should give you another chance but so far you haven't even attempted to claim to be someone I should read the posts of.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would say that "reading a comment about my dick size and assuming it applies to a different topic" is simple illiteracy, myself. Also, yeah, obdurism isn't a word. Did you mean something with a root word of obstinate? Which all good scientists should be : you do have to assume basic laws of physics are correct or you're not going to get anywhere, and ignore anyone like Darren Garrison who says otherwise.
Lol. Well, let's note for the record that you brought up your dick size and how often you get to use it (or not). What did you expect?

And this is English, the biggest whore of a language there ever was. It is quite kosher to both steal and make up words, amirite?

[Oh, and the root word you're struggling to come up with is "obdurate".]

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obdurate

Last edited by JohnT; 12-28-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
How many of those jobs do you suppose exist, vs 'code monkey' positions that are generic? In order to do what you are saying, I'd have to be 10 years younger, I'd have to have richer parents so I could afford SAT prep courses (I missed some points on the math section, ironically), maybe if people didn't bully me in high school I would have had better grades.

Jobs like you are describing basically require a PhD from MIT or Stanford and a shit-ton of luck. There's only one Ray Kurzweil, and he was ignored for a very long time, and he spent his whole life shilling dubious predictions*.

Has it occurred to you that there are probably many people like me, but society at the present time lacks interest in such visionary efforts?

Remember the post I felt the most passionate about? There's a very real (from a "laws of physics view") possibility we could be preserving human brains right before death in a way that works.

Other people with far more reputation than me have pointed this out. They have mostly been ignored. Not with arguments based on fact, generally, but mainly a bunch of tired ideas that are bullshit..but most people believe them. Ideas like "if people didn't die, the earth would be overcrowded". "if people didn't die, no social justice progress would be made". "you'll never see heaven if you remain alive". And other total malarky.

So we let a million people a year die and spend 600 billion year on a gigantic military to "protect" our citizens from possible death from foreign attack. Oh and even more than that on medicare, which shovels money to institutions to "memory care" for patients who are steadily degrading from dementia.

You call me a crackpot for proposing brain preservation. "memory care" is literally a medical treatment that doesn't work at all. It does fuck all. The dementia patients keep getting worse. You can give an elderly person physical therapy so they can use a spoon again and then they'll just forget it. At least if you froze them, there's a chance.

So yeah, I wish I could do more with my life. But I can't. And it's probably only a little my fault.
This kid is one lab accident away from becoming super amateur-villain.

You'll be sorry! You'll ALL BE SORRY!!
Old 12-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I can't link to You Tube at work, otherwise there would be the obligatory "Stupid! Stupid!" clip from Plan 9 From Outer Space in this post.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
{...} The guy who claims to work at Stanford who claims that letting a patient rot until they are braindead is "good" while freezing them before then is definitely murder is "evil"? {...}
Until you / they can figure out exactly how to freeze someone that isn't currently dead* without killing them I'm pretty sure that is gonna be murder in most jurisdictions.

*'Cause ya ain't reallllly dead if your brain ain't dead, "mostly dead" ain't something taught in med school!

CMC fnord!
Now, will I win that coveted spot on someone's "Ignore List"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Lol. Well, let's note for the record that you brought up your dick size and how often you get to use it (or not). What did you expect?

And this is English, the biggest whore of a language there ever was. It is quite kosher to both steal and make up words, amirite?

[Oh, and the root word you're struggling to come up with is "obdurate".]

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obdurate
Insult for an insult :

Definition of obdurate
1 a : stubbornly persistent in wrongdoing an unrepentant, obdurate sinner
b : hardened in feelings The obdurate enemy was merciless.
2 : resistant to persuasion or softening influences obdurate in his determination
remaining obdurate to her husband's advances —Edith Wharton

Definition of obstinate
1 : stubbornly adhering to an opinion, purpose, or course in spite of reason, arguments, or persuasion obstinate resistance to change
2 : not easily subdued, remedied, or removed obstinate fever

Definition of similar
1 : having characteristics in common : strictly comparable

So "struggling" would be a rather poor interpretation of the facts given the root word I matched to has a similar definition. I am happy with the performance of my neural network on this task.

Last edited by SamuelA; 12-28-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Quote:
...Morgenstern said I should give you another chance but so far you haven't even attempted to claim to be someone I should read the posts of.
Sam. I didn't say Running Coach. Running Coach has spam busting to do and we don't want him wasting time in the pit. Why yesterday I saw RC take 2 full minutes to report one. I was disappointed.

Don't you disappoint me too Sam. Learn to learn from people you feel are inferior. You might be surprised.