Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 PM

Anyways, I've made my points. You're all morons, except for those individuals I have named who are not. I'm done with my victory lap, I win all the arguments, tossing my guitar to the groupies in front and I'm heading backstage.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
You'd have to be an absolute fucking moron if you didn't think you could probably build a nuke with the same performance as a 1960s weapon if you had to.
Statement the first.

Quote:
Double fucking ignored. Only morons are absolutely certain about anything.
Statement the second.

Question: What are you trying to say in that first, horribly constructed, sentence?

Question: Did you type that last sentence with a straight face? If you are certain that only morons are certain, then... ?

Btw, I am certain that I could not build a 60s-era nuke. I am also certain you could not either, little man.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-15-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Anyways, I've made my points. You're all morons, except for those individuals I have named who are not. I'm done with my victory lap, I win all the arguments, tossing my guitar to the groupies in front and I'm heading backstage.
You're a real "stable genius," huh?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Funny how people like you who are so goddamn smart apparently have nothing better to do with your time than bloviate on the Internet.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Oh Sammy. I had such hope for you. You almost fit in too. Almost.
See you on the next sock.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Btw, I am certain that I could not build a 60s-era nuke. I am also certain you could not either, little man.
Whereas I may not be able to build an implosion device, I could most certainly built a gun-type such as the Little Boy bomb dropped on Hiroshima, if I had sufficient amounts of U235.

I'm not mad at SamuelA, I pity him. He's going to learn a lot of valuable life lessons the hard way if he continues to walk through life calling the vast majority of intelligent humans around him "morons". I have no doubt that he'll have to experience some of those lessons many times along the road.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dude, what the fuck. I just went here. What exactly are you trying to "catch me" on?
I'm not trying to "catch you." You've been doing a fine job of that yourself without my help. I'm just driving tractor trailers through the gaps in your argument. It's just too easy to do. And being a self proclaimed "engineer," if you were presenting this dreck at a capstone project as a solution, you'd be laughed out of the school. Even with all of your "Fermi estimates."

Quote:
This one would be about right. A megaton and it's 250 kilograms. But I don't know which warheads are actually available in the hundreds or maybe thousands you'd need to redirect an asteroid.
But in the asteroid thread, you magically concocted the number of 634. So which is it? Hundreds or thousands, or 634?

Quote:
I don't know how many could be converted in whatever time you'd have to the form factor and so forth you'd need. I don't even know how long rebuilding warheads takes.
It takes a while. And no, you can't just "convert" a weapon and hope it magically works.

Quote:
Says the three-year old as he knocks over the chessboard.

Quote:
Double fucking ignored.
Is this like Double Secret Probation?

Tripler
So, are you leaving for good again?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Groupies?
Even those ladies you hired on the corner of West 51st walked off in boredom two pages ago.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
You're all morons, except for those individuals I have named who are not.
But they aren't any more impressed with your grandiose intellectual pretensions than anyone else is. You've made an ass of yourself here by misunderstanding basic ideas and demonstrating your lack of knowledge on multiple subjects. You're an obnoxiously pompous and immature kid who should learn from others and heed the advice he's been given.
Quote:
I'm done with my victory lap, I win all the arguments, ...
You're genuinely pathetic. I marvel that you can even function in the real world, if indeed you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
So, are you leaving for good again?
One can only hope.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

The whole "I'm done with my victory lap, I win all the arguments, tossing my guitar to the groupies in front and I'm heading backstage." is pathetic, if you assume he's sincere. I suspect he's not.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:33 PM

JohnT weren't you the one you couldn't get ignored last time around? You did it buddy. You got double-ignored first! No one knows what that means outside of Animal House, but congratulations! You win 1 internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
The whole "I'm done with my victory lap, I win all the arguments, tossing my guitar to the groupies in front and I'm heading backstage." is pathetic, if you assume he's sincere. I suspect he's not.
I think he is. Pathetic is right.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 01-16-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Hey! Don't diminish my victory! I wasn't just double ignored, I was double fucking ignored, and don't you forget it!

Last edited by JohnT; 01-16-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Not sure if this is relevant to this thread, but to introduce AlphaZero. An artificial intelligence engine that taught itself to be the best chess player in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMab3jcTV0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7BMWl_mpw
Old 01-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Hey, SamuelA, how are you doing with the chemo? Let us know, please... I had no idea you were terminal, much less ill.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...postcount=1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA
Alright, Jay_Jay. You win. I was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness, so I'm gonna level with you.

I'll answer more of your questions when I can, need to go for a round of chemo.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-17-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Hey, SamuelA, how are you doing with the chemo? Let us know, please... I had no idea you were terminal, much less ill.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...postcount=1131
He obviously ill - the specific diagnosis is in question.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
He obviously ill - the specific diagnosis is in question.
I'm amazed that he didn't call his doctors morons and then insist that they cannot possibly be right about the diagnosis, for reasons.

In all serious, SamuelA, I know this probably isn't the right time, but stop taking your positions so personally. People disagreeing with you doesn't have to be an attack on your ego or your person unless you're so invested in a position being a part of yourself that it becomes one.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Well, he's not dying* but he's got a sense of humor. I had no idea.

*Of terminal cancer

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 01-17-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

He jokes (or lies) about dying from cancer?

If true, that's actually worse than the things we're complaining about.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
He jokes (or lies) about dying from cancer?

If true, that's actually worse than the things we're complaining about.
Dude - read the post.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I did. As the cancer part has no relevance to the rest of it, I don't understand your point.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Read it again, and listen carefully for whooshing sounds.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Eh, my mom died from cancer. You may find it funny but it is, at the very least, in poor taste.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:15 PM

I missed something, did Sammy cure cancer?
He's awesome.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Dude - read the post.

Regards,
Shodan
Thanks for defending me, Shodan. I am sorry if I brought up bad memories for those who have lost someone to cancer. I was simply trying to give the OP in that thread what he wanted - a scenario that would explain 9/11 in the way he wanted. So I wrote it as a "dying admission" by some government agent.

And of course the flaw, one that even the OP would see, is that my "confession" is less likely to be true than the official explanation for 9/11. It might feel unlikely that a fire caused the buildings to collapse, orchestrated by a small number of terrorists on a low budget, but given all the data it's still the most likely explanation. It's even less likely that government agents collapsed the place and got away with it.

Also, yet again JohnT earns his place on my ignore list.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-17-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I am sorry if I brought up bad memories for those who have lost someone to cancer.

And... this is where you've earned one on mine.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Didn't you just double ignore him a few pages ago? That would be at least 3 then. But I'm not really good at math like you, so I'll take your word.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 PM

Yeah you did.

Quote:
Double fucking ignored. ....
That's 2.

Quote:

That's 1.

Someone check my math here, but I get 3. He ignored him 3 times?
Wow, that's really ignoring someone.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

:swoon:
Old 01-17-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
You're a real "stable genius," huh?
If by "stable," you mean he's full of horseshit, you're right.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Given my triple-ignoring, it stands to reason I'm apparently the only person double-un-ignored as well. Huh. And I honestly think that... well, comparably... I've been rather nice about all this.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:19 AM

I don't think that's very fair. I've been very generous with my insults -- I think I've called SamuelA every variant and synonym of "fucking moron" and "pompous blowhard" that exists in the language and documented my reasons, and all I get out of it is one measly "ignore" and then the universal "unignore" that everyone got, and that's it. I presume I got the measly "ignore" back, but man, these people sailing through life scoring triple ignores are beginning to piss me off.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Given my triple-ignoring, it stands to reason I'm apparently the only person double-un-ignored as well. Huh. And I honestly think that... well, comparably... I've been rather nice about all this.
I'm in awe. Really.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I don't think that's very fair. I've been very generous with my insults -- I think I've called SamuelA every variant and synonym of "fucking moron" and "pompous blowhard" that exists in the language and documented my reasons, and all I get out of it is one measly "ignore" and then the universal "unignore" that everyone got, and that's it. I presume I got the measly "ignore" back, but man, these people sailing through life scoring triple ignores are beginning to piss me off.
What can I say? When y'all started mocking me upthread for not getting ignored in the first place, I had to up my game to near Jordanesque levels.

So... blame yourself.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 AM

I know when I'm beat. Congratulations, JohnT. You earned it.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
When you "ignore" someone for a second(or third or fourth or fifth) time, do you temporarily "un-ignore" that person first then "re-ignore" them, or do you put them in "ignore x 2" status?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Actually before JohnT came along, you had the high Ignore Card. a +4 I believe. JohnT pulled a +10 Ignore card out and properly played it. SamuelA responded with a Reignore Card +1 and well, it backfired and JohnT got the much sought after trifecta ignore crown. JohnT is now so far ahead we'll all be playing catch up. It's not you Wolfpup, it was destiny.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Actually before JohnT came along, you had the high Ignore Card. a +4 I believe. JohnT pulled a +10 Ignore card out and properly played it. SamuelA responded with a Reignore Card +1 and well, it backfired and JohnT got the much sought after trifecta ignore crown. JohnT is now so far ahead we'll all be playing catch up. It's not you Wolfpup, it was destiny.
The reason is that wolfpup would at least claim that he knew some details of cognitive science and that thus he had a reasonable reason to disagree.

JohnT would find a trivial grammar or spelling error...or just fail to read a post at all...and decide that this was a reason for insults. Such as the cancer one, where he literally doesn't read the next paragraph and realize that in it I'm admitting to being part of a (probably fictitious) conspiracy that killed over 2000 Americans. 10k+ if you count American soldiers lost in the follow-on wars. 600k+ if you count Iraqi civilian deaths.

So if I did have cancer, I'd kind of deserve it.

See how this is more maddening? Hence the triple ignore.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-18-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
When you "ignore" someone for a second(or third or fourth or fifth) time, do you temporarily "un-ignore" that person first then "re-ignore" them, or do you put them in "ignore x 2" status?
You have to remember that, notwithstanding SamuelA's astounding self-declared expertise in the fields of computing and cognition and, really, just about everything, he needed detailed step-by-step instructions to help him figure out how to use the board's "ignore" function. So I assume he's still struggling with it, and probably figures that if he adds someone to the ignore list repeatedly, it will somehow cause vBulletin to register a double-ignore or triple-ignore status and thereby ignore that poster even harder.

Don't ask me how that's supposed to work, I'm not a genius like SamuelA. I can only assume it has something to do with artificial intelligence and maybe also signal processing (which I understand SamuelA has taken a course in and knows all about). It may even involve self-replicating autonomous nanobots. You'll have to get SamuelA to explain it to you. Me, I'm still pissed at only earning a single ignore.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:

So if I did have cancer, I'd kind of deserve it.

You'd be wrong. No one deserves cancer. Not even you, hell, not even clothahump.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
You'd be wrong. No one deserves cancer. Not even you, hell, not even clothahump.
Larry Nassar does.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:00 AM

JohnT

If you're ever going to attend a Minnesota dope-fest (assuming we have more), please let me know. I'll stop by one of those trophy shops and get you a little trophy for
JohnT
Triple Ignored Award
Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The reason is that wolfpup would at least claim that he knew some details of cognitive science and that thus he had a reasonable reason to disagree.
A mature cocker spaniel has reason to disagree. I think there are lizards capable of refuting most of his argument. I knew an elm stump once that had a better grasp of the basic concepts.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Maybe he should change his username to JohnTriple.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM

Seconded.

JohnTriple has a nice ring to it.

TriplerTriple would have been better, but well, JohnTriple won.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
...he needed detailed step-by-step instructions to help him figure out how to use the board's "ignore" function. So I assume he's still struggling with it, and probably figures that if he adds someone to the ignore list repeatedly, it will somehow cause vBulletin to register a double-ignore or triple-ignore status and thereby ignore that poster even harder.
I'm assuming Sammy now has three post-its on his mom's monitor with JohnT's name on them. This does create a theoretical limit to how many times one poster can be ignored, based on post-it and monitor sizes. Sammy could probably calculate this limit, but we all know his calculation would be incorrect.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which, of course, is the point, though SamsA won't understand it. Any reasonable person affected by the disease doesn't joke about it so casually. Any reasonable adult not affected by it shouldn't joke about it at all, not even as a setup to another joke.

But, Sam, congrats. You got me: for about 2 hours I was actually concerned for your well being. Jokes on me... I guess.

You win?

Last edited by JohnT; 01-18-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I'm assuming Sammy now has three post-its on his mom's monitor with JohnT's name on them. This does create a theoretical limit to how many times one poster can be ignored, based on post-it and monitor sizes. Sammy could probably calculate this limit, but we all know his calculation would be incorrect.
I'm assuming he lost at least one of the first post-its and had to start over again.

JohnT I think you should at least update your sig.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seconded.

JohnTriple has a nice ring to it.

TriplerTriple would have been better, but well, JohnTriple won.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
JohnT I think you should at least update your sig.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoooooaaaaa. Lets not be hasty about this, lest people confuse his award with my name (it happens with other Dopers' names).

Let me get this right--this kid is still going on with his ass-trumpet?

Tripler
Does Mommy not give him enough macaroni and paste for his 'arts and crafts' time?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 PM

Yes - he toots away. He is, even now, handing out advice on dishwasher repair in one thread (sell the house), and suggesting that self-driving cars will reduce traffic on the road. Not, mind you, because there are self-driving cars replacing drivers, but because they should record all cars around them, and report traffic violations, and then no one would drive anymore because TICKETS.

His ability to look at a situation and come to the most illogical conclusion possible is really fucking annoying.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Well, I see he's basing his expert military opinion on avionics and human factors on video games (albeit a brief look). But now that I see an attempted pretext of cancer to sway an argument/make a point, I admit, that even in his "jest," I have never seen anything so yellow.

You're absolutely right though--he can wave his hands to "propose" an "academic solution" and provides zilch on logic or rationality. But hey, AI can solve everything.

But I've only got one ignore compared to JohnT. He won't read this.

Tripler
AI. For absolutely. . . everything.