Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 02:36 PM

LBGTQ Pride Over Job Counseling - Really? What's Wrong With These Pictures?

I have posted a screenshot of two adjacent emails in my inbox. The first show an email from my County Board of Legislators celebrating LGTBQ Pride Month. The next, from a nonprofit agency announcing the discontinuance, due to "funding cutbacks" of valuable program of workshops aimed at assisting people who suddenly become unemployed in the 50's or later as they are replaced by "new blood." These people face mainstream problems of loss of the emotional anchor of their daily job, and the need to train to write CV's, use LinkedIn and other job search tools.

I don't "celebrate" the fact that I am heterosexual and work every day. Fringe groups getting funding to "celebrate" what? Something is very badly wrong with society's priorities.

https://i.imgur.com/KkvHLqM.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/FBBEo40.png?2
Old 05-28-2019, 02:41 PM

I don't see the connection between the two that's fueling your outrage.

Did the County spend a lot of money celebrating LGTBQ Pride Month? if not, I don't see how it hurts the nonprofit that is running out of funding.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:48 PM

LGBTQ people have been, forever, shamed. That they now can feel empowered to be proud of who they are tells me that sometimes the priorities of a society are right on track.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post

Did the County spend a lot of money celebrating LGTBQ Pride Month? if not, I don't see how it hurts the nonprofit that is running out of funding.
Do you have any idea the postage cost for sending an e-mail to an entire county?!
Old 05-28-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Do you have any idea the postage cost for sending an e-mail to an entire county?!
Good joke even though I likely don't agree with your position.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I don't see the connection between the two that's fueling your outrage.

Life is a zero sum game.

If someone else is celebrated, it means that I am being insulted;

If someone gets the same right that I have, that means that my right is then diminished;

If someone, somewhere has pride in who they are, that means that I must be ashamed of who I am.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGUSA View Post
I don't "celebrate" the fact that I am heterosexual and work every day.
No, you take it for granted that your sexual orientation will not expose you to persecution.

Do you really resent the fact that people want to celebrate the fact that for the first time in history we are making some progress toward aspiring to treat everyone with basic decency and respect? It's an embarrassment for us a species that it has taken until the 21st century to reach this point, and still only in a pretty limited part of the world.

One good reason for celebrating actively and openly is to find out who resents it. Thanks for letting us know who you are. "Fringe" groups, really?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Thanks for letting us know who you are.
You haven't been paying attention to the OP.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Something is very badly wrong with society's priorities.
Yes, there is, but at least your company is working to change it.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:51 PM

"Fringe groups" celebrating not being fired, jailed, beaten, and/or killed for being part of a fringe group, how terribly offensive.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I have posted a screenshot of two adjacent emails in my inbox. The first show an email from my County Board of Legislators celebrating LGTBQ Pride Month. The next, from a nonprofit agency announcing the discontinuance, due to "funding cutbacks" of valuable program of workshops aimed at assisting people who suddenly become unemployed in the 50's or later as they are replaced by "new blood." These people face mainstream problems of loss of the emotional anchor of their daily job, and the need to train to write CV's, use LinkedIn and other job search tools.

I don't "celebrate" the fact that I am heterosexual and work every day. Fringe groups getting funding to "celebrate" what? Something is very badly wrong with society's priorities.

Let me get this straight. You got two emails, from two different organizations, about entirely different things. Somehow the celebration (AKA recognition) of Pride Month is conflated with funding for job search help. In fact, the recognition is coming from a public source and the job center was a religious group, so the funding should not be from the same pot.

While I regret the loss of services to the unemployed, I see no problem with the County's email.

Since this is Great Debates, what is your position here?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't "celebrate" the fact that I am heterosexual and work every day.
I remember your fury a few weeks ago at the heteronormative celebrations of Mother's Day in your county schools.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:05 PM

I can't wait until OP learns about Black History month.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:40 PM

Two more things that don't go together but are a cause for outrage.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:42 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Moderating

Quote:

Launching off of random emails in your inbox? This isn't a well formed debate and I wont inflict it on other forums. Based on posting history, it seems you have challenges fleshing out an actual debate. Please do not continue to start debate OPs without fleshing out what is the topic to be debated.

[/moderating]

Last edited by Bone; 05-28-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Closed Thread