Old 11-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
Continuing the hijack: Seriously? When I went to college there (early '90s) I was surprised at how many cops ate lunch at the Radical Rye. I'd think they would be averse to giving him the business.
Karl Armstrong didn't take over Radical Rye until late 1999/early 2000 (cite), so he wouldn't have been running the place at the time you were in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
But the Sterling Hall bombing? I remember that like it was yesterday. Of course I headed off to the Univ of Wisc Madison the next year so seeing the building every day imprinted the whole incident into my brain. And I did not know that Karl Armstrong ran that restaurant. I've clearly been in Milwaukee too long.
Maybe longer than you think. The State Street Radical Rye closed years ago, due to the whole Overture Center thing. They were in a different location for a while (I don't remember where, but I had a friend who worked there in 2004 or 2005), but as far as I know Radical Rye is no longer in operation. Armstrong's Loose Juice cart can still be seen downtown, though.

Last edited by Lamia; 11-18-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

[Never mind.]

Last edited by Algernon; 11-19-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Misunderstood Lamia's post at first.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 AM

I was at the Iola Rock fest, even though I was only eight years old. My dad was on the stage crew, and we lived in Iola.

We were camped back stage next to the entertainers food tent. I remember several women being all in a tizzy, trying to get Ravi Shankar's tea just right.

And I remember my mom taking me down to the stage to see Buffy Sainte Marie perform. Other than that, it was all just a big camping trip for me.

I and another kid my age followed an enterprising guy around as he picked the local wild hemp (useless), and sold it to gullible attendees. Even we knew better.

When the bikers came, all the other women and children in the backstage camp were hustled into the woods and told to be very quiet until someone came back for us. I never heard much of what happened then, except that my dad came home with a very large Bowie knife that he took off of some guy that jumped him. I always had the impression that the guy was just somebody messed up that my dad talked down.
I later found out that the local sheriff rounded up every "able-bodied" man in the area and mass deputized them in downtown Iola (town of about 700 or 800 at the time) and they all rode out the festival grounds to take out the bikers. A friend of mine's dad carried that little deputy card with him at all times, just in case he was needed again. :-)
We also were very close to the hospital tent, which seemed well attended.

When I got back to school that fall, of course everyone knew that I'd been there (small town!), and the number one question of my peers? "Did you see naked people?"

If anyone is interested, there'll be a photo exhibit in nearby Amherst, Wisconsin, to mark the 40th anniversary of the festival, this summer, in June and July. It's in a little gallery on Main Street, and the street is only four of five blocks long, so you can't really miss it. Here's a link to the gallery.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonni in wisconsin View Post
I was at the Iola Rock fest, even though I was only eight years old. My dad was on the stage crew, and we lived in Iola.
Great story!!! Thank you for posting that.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Wow, bonnie, thanks for posting that link. I grew up in that area and never heard of the rock fest before reading it here. I'll definitely be checking out the exhibit.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 PM

iola rock

Rabnmb was correct, I was there. A dude and his girlfriend were walking by the bikers and they started making very explicit comments to the dudes girlfriend. The dude, not to bright, called them assholes. The bikers proceeded to kick his ass and fondle the girl. A bunch of us helped and the word got to the stage and the announcer stated "There's only fifty of them and thousands of us, lets help" Everybody got up and ran to help. That's when a biker pulled a gun and shot into the crowd, We left. Short concert.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 PM

Kick a poo Creek Rock Festival May 3rd week end 1970

Kick a Poo was on a farm jusat outside of Hayworth, Il. I was there......it was not held in Wisconsin. BB King, Jimi Hendrix, The Allman Brothers, and so many others I can't name played. There was a haze of smoke from all the weed being smoked and it rained for 2 out of the 3 days, so everyone was slopping around in the mud. They had even made a mudslided going dowen a hill into the creek where people were playing and swimming completely naked. Everyone shared whatever they had with complete strangers (food, water and dope fo every kind), and I remember sleeping on huge pieces of cardboard in a station wagon with people we just met, listening to BB King play at 3:30 am in the pouring rain.

This festival was not as big as Woodstock, but shoiuld be remembered more so, because it was held the week after the Kent State Campus killings, and we all protested about the use of guns. There was also a "huge" attendance by various motorcycle groups and there was absolutely no fighting. It truely was a Hippie Fest which promoted ALL of the things we believed in back in the "good ole days"! Peace, Make Love Not War, Joints as big as cigars, Sharing, Helping, and Caring about perfect strangers, all brought together for the same reason. I am proud to have been a part of it, and "extremely lucky" to have lived in the era during my 20-30"s. 1968 though 1985 had to be the BEST !!!!!! Wish the kids now could have experienced the things we did, instead of what they have to go through. People think the 50's were good............the late 60's blew them away !!!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Graphite is a great
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExrep View Post

This festival was not as big as Woodstock, but shoiuld be remembered more so, because it was held the week after the Kent State Campus killings, !!!
Actually, three weeks after Kent State. Time plays tricks on your mind. 30,000 people were estimated to have attended, so it was big.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Seems to me that there used to be festivals in the Wisconsin Dells area in the late 70s...anyone familiar with that?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExrep View Post
... It [truly] was a Hippie Fest which promoted ALL of the things we believed in back in the "good ole days"! Peace, Make Love Not War, Joints as big as cigars, Sharing, Helping, and Caring about perfect strangers, all brought together for the same reason. I am proud to have been a part of it, and "extremely lucky" to have lived in the era during my 20-30"s. 1968 though 1985 had to be the BEST !!!!!! Wish the kids now could have experienced the things we did, instead of what they have to go through. People think the 50's were good............the late 60's blew them away !!!
Thanks... I do enjoy living vicariously through people's Hippie Exploits. Definitely worth resurrecting a thread for.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 PM

I have ticket stubs from many WI concerts and a few festivals 1971 thru 74, including Iola and the "Backwoods Bash" in Colby on 8/21/71, which featured Ted and the A.D's. There certainly was a looser and more innocent vibe back then. Good times as a teenager.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:32 AM

Cbcb rockfestval in wis 70s?

I was there and the only band i remember were the grateful dead. It was in iola in june of 1970
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM

Rock festival you are inquiring about

My email is eunicepunice@aol.com i wanted to copy and paste the poster from that festival you are inquiring about , but i can't seem to do it. Email me and i can email you the copy.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Iona, Wisconsin rock festival -- 1970

Among the groups performing at this summer concert (~45,000) were Mason Proffit, Buffy Sainte Marie, Crow, Brownsville Station, the Stooges, Melanie, Paul Butterfield, and Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes. Nugent and his group played just at dusk and were monsters!

Fun times ... except for the hassles created by several armed biker types.

MacxQ
Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Rock Fest in Iola Wi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I don't know what show this would have been, but since several posters have questioned your memory of Buffy Sainte-Marie I wanted to say that in his book I Need More, Iggy Pop relates a story about playing an outdoor music festival in rural Wisconsin in the '70s with Buffy Sainte-Marie. I have no idea why Iggy Pop and Buffy Sainte-Marie were on the same bill...must have been a "something for everyone!" sort of festival. Wish I'd been there!
The Rock Festival in "70 ( Probably Late May) was definetly in Iola Wi. and there was a big hill that everybody sat on with the stage at the bottom , amphitheatre style, au natural. It was a really crazy festival, music genres ranged greatly but there was a lot of Blues - Rock Some Psychedelia ( or should I say Pscho). I honestly don't think Buffy St. Marie was there but there were a lot of drugs and a lot of weird shit going on. Hippies , Stoned Cold Druggies, Bikers. Not a great mix. The sight was beautiful though and room for camping. Sorry I can't help with a Band List
Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnmb View Post
In the summer of 1970 the festival was, I believe, originally scheduled to take place in the Stevens Point area, but was moved to an area outside of Iola. Buffy St. Marie was indeed there, but the show stopper was Iggy and the Stooges, complete with the first instance of stage diving that I had ever seen. Throughout the festival there was tension between biker groups and the rest of the people. It erupted into some violence. The story was covered in The Chicago Tribune, among other newspapers. Buffy met with a rather uncomfortable reaction from the crowd.
mason profitt... ides of march & many more
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 PM

The 70s were a long time ago, man.

For that matter, so was the OP.

mmm
Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
The 70s were a long time ago, man.

For that matter, so was the OP.
I love this thread. It must hold a zombification record for number of times revived by new posters who signed up to comment on it.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:53 PM

poynette shirt

HAs anyone seen an original t shirt from the festival?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 PM

Yes, i was there ! Iola rock festival june 26, and 27 th 1970. The amboy dukes did play, and crow from minnesota known for their song "evil woman" , canned heat played also. I was doing a boogie with a bunch of people in front of the band to "going up the country"
Old 02-20-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunicepunice View Post
i was there and the only band i remember were the grateful dead. It was in iola in june of 1970
ok, this is wrong, this was poynette rock festival, grateful dead played all day sunday
Old 02-20-2015, 06:06 PM

OP here!

How cool that this discussion is still going on. From the posts I can conclude that it was Iola in June.
How the heck did we survive our youth?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:56 PM

Wow, I live just outside Poynette and hear about that show from some of the long time residents although I wasn't there. In 1970 I lived in a small village (population 94) in Indiana but on August 24 was visiting my grandparents in Madison and heard the Sterling Hall blast. It easy for me to remember, it was my 15th birthday. The next spring the family moved to a small village west of Madison.
That move was the best thing that could of happened for a 15 year old that was into music. The shows I was able to see in Madison in 71 to 74 where fantastic. It was the start of a very long list of shows I've been able to see over the years all over the country. One of the first was the James Gang as the headliner with Five Man Electrical Band and an opening act that no one had ever heard of before, the Eagles.
I was asked by a nephew a couple years ago who all I've seen over the years. For three days another show would work it's way through the haze of the years and dead brain cells. Great memories from reading this thread.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:07 PM

Bumping this thread because there is a new article about the festival in Iola and apparently there is some video of it up on youtube.
http://www.thecitypages.com/news-opi...S2hl_Keu2wiTaA