Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 PM

Ramadan came and went...

it ended yesterday. Now, I didn't read every post in every thread, but I guess I must have missed the SDMB's coterie of angry atheists making puerile jokes at the expense of the Muslim holiday. Surely you must have done so. Otherwise, I would have to conclude that you are just a clusterfuck of lapsed Xians who are still mad that your parents made you drop your cocks and grab your socks because it was time to go to church.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 PM

So, you abstained from your meds for 30 days?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:36 PM

When muslims ram their holidays/religion in my face as often as Christians do, you can be sure I'll make a comment or 2. As long as they leave me alone, it's all good.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 PM

Well that's fucking bitter and angry at the world.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
it ended yesterday. Now, I didn't read every post in every thread, but I guess I must have missed the SDMB's coterie of angry atheists making puerile jokes at the expense of the Muslim holiday. Surely you must have done so. Otherwise, I would have to conclude that you are just a clusterfuck of lapsed Xians who are still mad that your parents made you drop your cocks and grab your socks because it was time to go to church.
There were a lot of terrorist attacks during this Ramadan. Does that help you?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 PM

Now, I don't read every post in every thread either, but I guess I must have missed the SDMB's coterie of angry atheists making puerile jokes at the expense of religious holidays in general.

Yes, if somebody pops up proselytizing then a lot of Doper atheists make anti-religion remarks, but I don't recall any "coterie" of atheists just gratuitously bashing Christmas or Easter or Rosh Hashanah or Passover or Diwali celebrations, etc., every time they roll around. Is this a thing?

Last edited by Kimstu; 06-04-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:05 PM

“And speaking of Ramadan... yes? You want to hear it? Speaking ― I’m just talking, I’ll give you a bigger Ramadan present, you’re going to be saying ‘Merry Ramadan’ again, Okay? You’re going to be able to say ‘Merry Ramadan.’

You know, you go to the stores, and they have the quarter-moons and they have the decorations made by Ed Mubarak, and they even have the oriental carpets, the whole thing. But they can’t say ‘Merry Ramadan.’ They say ‘Have a nice fast!’

I want them to say: ‘Merry Ramadan, everybody.’ They could say ‘Happy Easter’ or ‘Have a nice Spring’, or ’Ramadan Kareem’, but I like ‘Merry Ramadan.’ We’re going to say it again, folks. We are winning the War on Ramadan, it’s happening already.”

Last edited by digs; 06-04-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:36 PM

Rush Limbaugh parody? (Cuz that's the voice I heard it in.)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, I’m only a part-time atheist (because mostly I don’t think about it), but I like Christmas, and I greatly respect those committed to Ramadan, or Lent. Maybe I can do some mild scoffing next Michaelmas, if that helps?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:11 PM

Isn't Ramadan the one where Mohammed flys around the world on his horse delivering 72 white raisins to all the good little martyrs?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 AM

Who hurt you in your butt, OP ?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:12 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Umm, I don't really care about Ramadan. It doesn't really affect me other than I have a cadre of co-workers who aren't going to be having lunch with me. Christmas? Ehh, I still kind of like it, to be honest. Easter? I get those chocolate/coconut nests, so I ain't bitchin, much*.

If any of these groups (or others) decided I needed to agree with them on public policy? Oh yeah, I'd tell them they were fools to their faces. I haven't been to church other than for a funeral or someone else's wedding since before I could drive, sugar pants. If you get me in there again without those circumstances, they're going to have to be handing out free excellent weed and decent beer, and there's a good band playing. No fairy stories that don't include the previous libations as a requirement in all ceremonies will entice me to worship there.

Even then, it's gonna have to have a really good backstory that differentiates itself from the silly so-and-so created the universe - so he's awesome! stories. If he's awesome, whatever created him must really be the tits! I'll worship that as soon as you come up with a convincing story about that entity that also includes at least the previous sacraments, if you can include some good barbecue, it'll be even more convincing.

BTW: I'm not into dietary restrictions. If you've got those, this whole discussion is over. Fuck off.

So, I basically didn't make fun of Ramadan because I didn't notice. If you want to skip lunch, that's your business. If you're butthurt because someone didn't make fun of a particular religion, well I'd suppose you'd better start making fun of it, now shouldn't you?

*Ok, they deleted the jellybeans. I don't care that they never stuck and just rolled off. I feel cheated.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
“And speaking of Ramadan... yes? You want to hear it? Speaking ― I’m just talking, I’ll give you a bigger Ramadan present, you’re going to be saying ‘Merry Ramadan’ again, Okay? You’re going to be able to say ‘Merry Ramadan.’

You know, you go to the stores, and they have the quarter-moons and they have the decorations made by Ed Mubarak, and they even have the oriental carpets, the whole thing. But they can’t say ‘Merry Ramadan.’ They say ‘Have a nice fast!’

I want them to say: ‘Merry Ramadan, everybody.’ They could say ‘Happy Easter’ or ‘Have a nice Spring’, or ’Ramadan Kareem’, but I like ‘Merry Ramadan.’ We’re going to say it again, folks. We are winning the War on Ramadan, it’s happening already.”
Nice, I'll give it a 9/10.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now, I didn't read every post in every thread, but I guess I must have missed the SDMB's coterie of angry atheists making puerile jokes at the expense of the Muslim holiday.
Sorry. My Muslamic Raygun is out for repairs.

Aside from that... I'm supposed to be angry about Christmas, now? Should I get mildly peeved about Easter, or should I be incandescent about Easter because it's the more religious holiday, despite the pagan name? Of course, Christmas has even more pagan accretions, despite the Christian name; the Easter Bunny is Lutheran, whereas Christmas has a Yule log and mistletoe. What were we talking about again? Oh, yes: How atheists don't know about religion because we have a morality centered around the Golden Rule, as opposed to thinking innate characteristics are somehow the subject of morality even though that's logically incoherent and represents a gross misunderstanding of what morality even is. I mean, if someone were to imply that having attached earlobes was immoral, would you debate the morality of earlobe shapes? No! You'd think that person had a completely broken definition of "morality" for even imagining that ears could be immoral!

Now where were we? Oh, yes. My Muslamic Raygun got knocked out of calibration Tuesday last when I tried to heat up some rabbit and Pfalzer flung theses at me. Damn things gummed up the works but good.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 AM

90% of the posts have been how cool Bette Midler is, so yeah I guess we forgot Ramadan this time.

Last edited by Covfefe; 06-05-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs

Nice, I'll give it a 9/10.
"Ed Mubarak" was a particularly nice touch.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
"Ed Mubarak" was a particularly nice touch.
Ed was the Welsh cousin. His dad was from Iraq some generations ago.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Now, I don't read every post in every thread either, but I guess I must have missed the SDMB's coterie of angry atheists making puerile jokes at the expense of religious holidays in general.
Yep, this. The only part of the holidays that regularly get dissed are the secular parts, like puerile Christmas music and how much earlier shopping season starts...
Old 06-05-2019, 04:27 AM

I think Ramadan is silly to the same extent that any secular or religious observance is. People choose to do things and to challenge themselves for so many reasons that to single out Ramadan for ridicule seems pointless. As long as what a person does is of their own volition and affects no-one but themselves then I really do not care.

The only interaction I've had with Ramadan was when asking a waiter in a Thai restaurant a few weeks ago about how busy it was. He explained that it was the last weekend evening before Ramadan and so many muslims were making the most of it. He said he was not looking forward to working with food all day when Ramadan started and I commiserated, especially as the food was particularly excellent.

I somehow forgot to call him a fucking religious idiot, I guess my atheist membership is revoked.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:12 AM

OP, when I grow up in an Islamic setting where clerics lie to me and rape my classmates then I'll rip Islam when I grow up. Promise.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
When muslims ram their holidays/religion in my face as often as Christians do, you can be sure I'll make a comment or 2. As long as they leave me alone, it's all good.
Yep, all that I saw was a few shops that said they might have altered hours due to Ramadan. Now, if one of the shops had actually been closed during normal hours when I wanted to shop, I would have thought it a little silly but it still wouldn't rise to the level of interference from certain other religions we experience here: there are still laws in a lot of places that mandate certain goods not be sold on Sunday for instance, which immediately rises above even my hypothetical anecdote since it is government forcing their religious beliefs on others.

Last edited by Ludovic; 06-05-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:32 AM

What a shock that a group of people, most of whom live in majority-Christian countries, generally focus on Christianity when they criticize religion! It's almost like people focus on the things that have affected their lives more than things that have not!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Yep, this. The only part of the holidays that regularly get dissed are the secular parts, like puerile Christmas music and how much earlier shopping season starts...
Or the reactions of the coterie of angry Christians (not necessarily on the SDMB) getting worked up about blatant lies (like Muslims making schools ban hot cross buns) or trivial nonsense (like people saying "Happy Holidays" or Cadbury not printing the word "Easter" in large enough font on their chocolate eggs) or otherwise generally trying to impose their religion through idiocy.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:06 AM

Reading the OP had me picturing the leave Britney alone kid, sobbing pitifully and banging away at the keyboard.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:20 AM

At the risk of being culturally insensitive, I didn't even know Ramadan had started or ended. Some years there is a small news story in the paper or on TV, but nothing I recall this year. As opposed to Christmas, Easter or Groundhog Day, which are covered incessantly.

Don't think there is a large Muslim community here, so that probably explains it.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 AM

I only know about it because I’ve got a Japanese friend living in Jordan.

I’m an atheist but rarely mock religion. I do mock Mormonism, surprise surprise.

Pit fail.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM

What? As a committed American atheist and family man, I really have a hard time understanding what you are talking about.

Last edited by Happy Fun Ball; 06-05-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Our kitchen calendar this year happens to cite holidays for ALL the major religions, which is kind of cool.

Today is Eid al-Fitr (Islamic), as well as World Environment Day.
Tomorrow is the Feast of the Ascension (Christian - Orthodox only).
This Sunday is Pentecost (Christian), and Shavuot (Jewish).
June 12 is “Loving Day” ???
The 17th is Saka Dawa (Tibetan Buddhist).
The 21st is Litha (Pagan), plus the Summer Solstice (the two are connected).

On any of these holidays, you are allowed to begin drinking early.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 06-05-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Reading the OP had me picturing the leave Britney alone kid, sobbing pitifully and banging away at the keyboard.
Hold up a minute. Let's not make absurd comparisons. He isn't that much of a histrionic drama queen.

The guy just really liked Britney Spears, is all.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:43 AM

Hating on muslims is so 2000's.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
What's with the war on "Christ"? First, they came for Christmas and we have Xmas. Now they are coming for Christians and we have Xians. Hey OP: Go pick on a different religion and leave good God-fearing Christians alone! Jesus H X!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Obvious troll is obvious.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Or the reactions of the coterie of angry Christians (not necessarily on the SDMB) getting worked up about blatant lies (like Muslims making schools ban hot cross buns) or trivial nonsense (like people saying "Happy Holidays" or Cadbury not printing the word "Easter" in large enough font on their chocolate eggs) or otherwise generally trying to impose their religion through idiocy.
What I came to say, except Gyrate said it better.

Worked in the Middle East (Abu Dhabi) for 4 years so went through Ramadan several times. Never had any problem, if I wanted to eat/drink I either did so at home or closed the office door. Eid-al-Fitr was a nice 4-day holiday.

Here in the states I've coached youth soccer with a few Muslim players and except for maybe practicing easier and not being there during Eid, had no problems.

Muslim holidays tend to be quieter and more family-centered (albeit citiy buildings were lighted up for Ramadan) than a lot of US holidays. (IMHO. YMMV.) And as others pointed out, critiques of Christian holidays here are usually generated by Christians complaining about how 'we atheists' try to restrict/oppress them (see Christmas, War on). Not being turners of the other cheek, we tend to dissent, sometimes quiet vociferously. Deal with it, scumpup.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
A passable effort, and good luck at getting someone to rise to your bait.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
What's with the war on "Christ"? First, they came for Christmas and we have Xmas. Now they are coming for Christians and we have Xians. Hey OP: Go pick on a different religion and leave good God-fearing Christians alone! Jesus H X!
Well said and I'm sure Malcolm Christ would agree, as would Professor Christ and the Christ-Men.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Well said and I'm sure Malcolm Christ would agree, as would Professor Christ and the Christ-Men.
Don't forget the holiest of sporting events: The Christ Games.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
...Professor Christ and the Christ-Men.
Xian rock kicks ass.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Every year the damn stores put out the Ramadan decorations earlier and earlier! What's up with that?

And enough already with the damn Ramadan music that plays in Every. Single.Store. over and over again. I'm getting really tired of "Grandma got run over by a Hilāl" every time I want to go buy milk.

Even the kids in school get nothing done for the two weeks before Ramadan, because they're so excited, and the teachers do nothing but have them cut out paper cresents.

The only good thing is sitting down with family to a really nice fast.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:52 AM
BANNED

After just watching a ChristChristChrist movie, I'm not sure where their talk of moral superiority went.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Our kitchen calendar this year happens to cite holidays for ALL the major religions, which is kind of cool.

Today is Eid al-Fitr (Islamic), as well as World Environment Day.
Tomorrow is the Feast of the Ascension (Christian - Orthodox only).
This Sunday is Pentecost (Christian), and Shavuot (Jewish).
June 12 is “Loving Day” ???
The 17th is Saka Dawa (Tibetan Buddhist).
The 21st is Litha (Pagan), plus the Summer Solstice (the two are connected).

On any of these holidays, you are allowed to begin drinking early.
Due to my strong, closely held personal beliefs, I only celebrate those holidays where I can eat. So that means Ramadan and Passover are both off the table...so to speak.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Due to my strong, closely held personal beliefs, I only celebrate those holidays where I can eat. So that means Ramadan and Passover are both off the table...so to speak.
Just looked up “Loving Day,” out of a vague curiosity.

Huh! It’s the anniversary of the 1967 SCOTUS decision which struck down all the anti-miscegenation laws in the last 16 states that had ‘em....”The biggest multiracial celebration in the U.S.”

Well, I’ll celebrate THAT. Bring on the collards, frijoles, shrimp dumplings, and mayonnaise!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_Day
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Did you perhaps mean Yom Kippur instead of Passover? Because at Passover, you can eat. Oy, how you can eat.

ETA: Oh, but you can't eat certain things with leaven in them, is that what you meant?

Last edited by Kimstu; 06-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
My parents had a Christler once. Prettty good car.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
My parents had a Christler once. Prettty good car.
I dunno, I just couldn't get into a car that needs three days to be repaired.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Well, I’ll celebrate THAT. Bring on the collards, frijoles, shrimp dumplings, and mayonnaise!
Please, I beg of you, do NOT mix these things into one unholy concoction, okay?

I have examined my conscience with a powerful magnifying glass and I have determined that I dispensed exactly as much opprobrium regarding Ramadan as I did Lent this year so I'll be skipping the self flagellation, much as I might actually enjoy it. Oh well.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM

... And for weeks, all my colleagues at work could talk about was the upcoming Ramadan. I mean, on and on. OK, that's fine, they could be talking about which celebrity was getting a divorce, or G.O.T. or whatever, but man, it went on for weeks.

The capper though, was when they started bugging me about what meal me and my family were not going to eat at Ramadan. They were all like "We've decided this year not to eat turkey" and "Oh, we didn't eat turkey last year, but now we're not going to eat stuffed fish."

When I told them I did not celebrate Ramadan, and would just be having our usual dinner, they went all silent, and someone told me that I was not a "real American".

Getting sick of all this.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:20 PM

Everyone else has already addressed the OP. I just wanted to add that this is probably the first year I knew when Ramadan was going on, as it came up in some wholesome meme stuff. I learned it was over from this very board.

As the OP sure doesn't sound like he has any Muslim friends, it seems odd he was so hyper aware of it. It's not like anyone makes a big deal out of it.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Did you perhaps mean Yom Kippur instead of Passover? Because at Passover, you can eat. Oy, how you can eat.

ETA: Oh, but you can't eat certain things with leaven in them, is that what you meant?
[mouth full]: Sorry, what was that?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Just last week I was at home, trying to enjoy some Ramadan music free time (I know, hard to get this time of year). My office has been overwhelmed with Ramadan decorations, Ramadan themed parties and Ramadan carols, so I was just chilling at home, listening to some Coltrane and having a beer.

Then the doorbell rings, and wouldn't you know it, it was a couple of nicely dressed young men with a Quaran under one arm. "Can we share some divine revelations from Allah?" one of them said.

"No thanks, busy" I replied, but one of them had already stuck his foot in the door. "We just want to read some passages to you! No disaster strikes except by permission of Allah . And whoever believes in Allah – He will guide his heart. And Allah is Knowing of all things!"

"NO THANKS!" I repeated, and tried to close the door. They were persistent, I'll give them that. When I finally closed the door on them, I could hear them cursing me and saying I was going to be punished in Jahannam, and why don't I go back to Europe where I belong. I was born here! Really pissed me off.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Please, I beg of you, do NOT mix these things into one unholy concoction, okay?
There's a restaurant in my town called Jaker's which has a salad bar which also stocks soup. In particular, they have a creamy lobster bisque.

They also have bacon bits made of real bacon for the salads.

Me being me, I add the bacon to the lobster bisque and call it the Kosher Special.

Is that atheist enough for you, Scumpup?