Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 PM

I read basically every single Mad from the first issue to well into the 2000s. My dad collected them and I continued his legacy. I want to say writing dropped off in the late 90s and mid-2000s was when I finally gave up. I think Melvin was the first regular feature I started to skip but can't recall much after that that really turned me off, just the movie and TV parody writing got sloppier and less researched, like very obviously basing a parody more off the previous installment than the actual thing being parodied.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:54 PM

I still have these issues, which I bought when issued (showing cover artist):

Apr ‘54 #10 Kurtz, Harvey MAD, Tales Calculated to Drive You – Humor in a Jugular Vein-Face Upon the Floor
May ‘54 #11 Wolverton, Basil MAD –Humor in a Jugular Vein-10c Beautiful Girl of the Month Reads ‘MAD’
Mar ‘55 #21 Kurtz, Harvey MAD, Tales Calculated to Drive You – Humor in a Jugular Vein
Old 07-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

The early and mid-1950s issues were like a completely different magazine. I like those the best.

But the ones of the late 1960s were where I got a lot of my hippie and counterculture information as a kid. Growing up at that time in West Texas, there wasn't a lot of that going around. And since my parents certainly weren't taking me to movies like Midnight Cowboy and Joe, I was able to learn at least the general story lines of such fare.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 07-04-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 PM

I still keep a couple Nutty Mads figurines in my library.

“Nutty Mads were first produced by the Marx Company in 1963 with the first series and was likely inspired by Ed Big Daddy Roth, Basil Wolveton and Don Martin.”

I’ve got most of the rest of the series stuffed away in a box somewhere. I got them in ‘63 when I was 6. My sister painted them (very little chipping after nearly 60 years). Loved ‘em as a kid, and still love ‘em.

Someone’s got to save Mad dammit! Qadgop, you’re a rich doc … ever think of getting into the publishing biz???
Old 07-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Kaputnik, Roger.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I got it in the late '50s and up to 1964 or so. I even subscribed when I lived in the Congo in 1962. And I had all the early paperbacks with the earlier content.

When I was in Africa they said that they took all the staff to visit their furthest subscriber - in the Caribbean. I was 10, and I thought it was unfair that they didn't visit me who was further away. Slightly later I figured it out.

I've seen one or two recent issues my daughter had, which seemed inferior. I don't know if it was them or me.
I still remember East Side Story, with the Russians and Americans playing the Jets and the Sharks. I think I still have the issue with 201 Minutes of Space Idiocy.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglomott View Post
my first issue was september 1964. Cost was 25 cents.
CHEAP! x
Old 07-05-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
yeah, when they did a parody of ST:TNG I was already busting up just reading the character names in the intro panel.

Picard: Jaunt-Fluke Retard
Riker: Linoleum Wiper
Dr.: Loverly Cruncher
Wes: Pestly Cruncher

can't recall the rest...
Land of the Giant Bores.

Capt. Steve Burton: Stiff Bourbon
Pilot Dan Ericson: Darn Wrecksome
Alexander Fitzhugh: Fitzphew
Old 07-05-2019, 12:18 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I still remember East Side Story, with the Russians and Americans playing the Jets and the Sharks.
I loved that one. The problem was I had never seen West Side Story. After my aunt went to see the movie, I asked her to sing some of the songs but she said she couldn't remember them.

When you're a Red
You're a Red all the way
From your first party purge
To your last power play!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 AM

I started enjoying it in the early 1960's, and I've saved all my issues. I interviewed one of its longtime writers, Arnie Kogen,
for a book on comedy.

Last edited by Newtosite; 07-05-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:02 AM

I've long said, of myself, that it all started with Mad Magazine. I can trace a clear line from there through Dr Demento, Monty Python and National Lampoon to Gahan Wilson, Gary Larson and TV Tropes. Sigh.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:09 AM

When I was a young'un we would visit my much older cousin's family every few months. I always looked forward to these visits because I could lose myself in his collection of Mads. This was in the mid-1960s.

When the adults weren't nearby I would quickly thumb through his stack of Playboys, but those vintage Mad magazines easily trump the Playboys for nostalgia.

mmm
Old 07-05-2019, 06:52 AM

I remember the Watergate Follies, set to the music of Gilbert & Sullivan...

J. Edgar Hoover:
I am the very model of a modern criminologist,
My instinct for survival would intrigue an anthropologist.
For more than forty years I've clung to my official residence,
outlasting Water Lippmann not to mention seven presidents.

But rather than remove me from my post proprietorial,
They'd rather put the hammer to the Jefferson Memorial.
It's known you see I've go the goods on Congressmen and Senators,
Including information on their children and progenitors.
Richard Nixon (contemplating his running mate for the 1972 election):
On a chair in my office, Lou Harris told me:
"Dump Spiro, dump Spiro, dump Spiro!"
And I said to him, "Louie, why should I agree
To Dump Spiro, dump Spiro, dump Spiro!"

"All the parents adore him when hippies he scolds,
And the Legion shouts 'Yes!' when the flag he upholds."
Louie said, "There are votes now for eighteen-year olds,

Now you know, Spiro, I'm awfully fond,
of You Spiro, you Spiro, you Spiro.
But a Lou Harris poll is an order from God!
Forty-five years later, and the words to both of those come right to mind!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:44 AM

I'm pissed off at this announcement. For some asinine reason they moved the operation to California. From what I read - no one from the NYC office went along. Surprise! The material well ran dry. Idiots at Warner/DC Comics are to blame. They should do the honorable thing and be willing to sell the trademarks, etc to another publisher willing to take them. If you're out there Mr. Alternate Publisher, consider me number one on your subscription list.
-IQ
Old 07-05-2019, 10:48 AM
BANNED

I see the cover price for a regular issue in 2018 was $5.99! My last issue purchased was 60 cents I think.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
I see the cover price for a regular issue in 2018 was $5.99! My last issue purchased was 60 cents I think.
Cheap!
Old 07-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Thinking back, another thing that ruined it was when they started to include ads in the magazine. Now it's completely understandable why they would do it, but there was a point I literally couldn't tell if something was an ad or a fake product they invented. Didn't help 90% of their ads were for children's things like green ketchup at the time.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:57 PM

When I was in high school, I talked our choir teacher to include some of the fucked up lyrics they wrote for Christmas songs. I remember they were a smash with the audience, especially We Three Clods.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Our local theater group used several skits from The Mad Show in our annual revues.

My high school English & Literature teacher didn't tolerate anyone reading MAD in class. She would confiscate the magazine, then turn to the Shakespeare parodies and read them to the class. She claimed you had to learn the real Shakespeare to appreciate the parodies.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:23 PM

I have fondness for Mad since it was, for me, a truly genuine act of rebellion to buy it and read it. I had a conservative father who wouldn't allow it in his presence because he thought it was subversive, lewd, and disrespectful. The very person W.F.Gaines and company warned me about! So I made every effort to read and hide every issue I could find. Down with The Establishment!
Old 07-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Mad Magazine really died when Bill Gaines died.

Imagine, not accepting advertising revenue because he always made fun of advertising, and thought it would be a conflict of interest.

I always said my writing style influences were Mike Royko and Mad Magazine.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

This is horrible news!,

I still get a copy of Mad whenever I fly, which is often.

I first got into it in 1970 at age 10.

The 1970’s were the golden age for these types of magazines. Mad, Cracked, Crazy, Sick, Car-Toons (anyone remember that?). There was a mag in the late 70’s or so named Trash that tried to go head to head against Mad. It’s selling point was that it was cheaper than Mad. But it’s content was terrible.

Goodnight, Sweet Prince.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:19 PM

I had an older sibling that bought a few copies in the 50s. I bought a few later on. It was really fun to okay.

I hadn't seen it in a long time, so at the library today I looked at the latest issue.

Egad, this was bad. The artwork was just wrong. Color, glossy, and dense. Like poor imitations of Garbage Pail Kids cards.

And trying to read it was mind boggling. Okay, where is the joke hiding?

There was a page regarding something about Jaffee's "signature". I looked at several of the panels. I couldn't figure out what this was about or anything.

And the multiple pages of "fan" letters (near the end of course) was a visual and textual hodgepodge of stupid.

This is how bad it's gotten: the fold-in artwork was trivially. Nothing on the edge pieces connected to one another. The only part that connected was the text on the bottom. And that was done poorly. Stuff on the left not aligned with the stuff on the right. A high school art major could have done a better job.

$5.99?

Time to die.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I started reading it in the 60s and bought every issue I saw (never subscribed). It and the later National Lampoon were landmarks in developing my sense of humor.

One of the highlights of my writing career was when I got a personal rejection from them. They liked the story, but it was too much like something they had recently run.

I was a big fan of Dick DeBartolo, Don Martin,* Frank Jacobs, Dave Berg, Al Jaffee, Mort Drucker, Sergio Aragones, and Jack Davis. I bought a lot of the early reprint collections and loved the Kurtzman stuff, though I think the Feldstein era was its peak.

I looked at it from time to time the last few years and it was disappointing. About the only good thing is that they will be reprinting the older stuff for a new generation.

*I got a great deal on the two-volume complete Dan Martin books, but was disappointed when I realized there were very few I hadn't already seen.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:42 PM

I just bought 5 copies of the August 2019 issue. One for me, 1 for a buddy and 3 to sell at a later date.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-05-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Where will I go for my Spiro Agnew jokes now?
OH, GODDAMMIT! I just pissed myself laughing!
Old 07-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I read MAD religiously from age 10 through high school.

My son has actually had a subscription since he became a teen. In fact, I just renewed it for 2 years a few months ago for him.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Our local theater group used several skits from The Mad Show in our annual revues.
Which ones? I saw the original Mad Show off Broadway with a pre-Laugh In Joanne Worley. It was great.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which ones? I saw the original Mad Show off Broadway with a pre-Laugh In Joanne Worley. It was great.
Same here. "It's your decision" became a catchphrase in our family.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:44 PM

OK, who else has kept their copies?

I have 30 or so from the 1970s in a box in the attic.

mmm
Old 07-06-2019, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
The 1970’s were the golden age for these types of magazines. ... Car-Toons (anyone remember that?)....
I do. I liked Car-Toons (or as they styled themselves, CARtoons). Unk and the Varmints were fun, and the other stories and features were always good for a laugh. Great art, though not always the best writing. Didn't matter; my friends and I were into all kinds of cars in those days, and we read and enjoyed every issue. I may still have one or two now-fifty-year-old issues buried somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I looked at it from time to time the last few years and it was disappointing. About the only good thing is that they will be reprinting the older stuff for a new generation.
If there is any good news, this is it. I've been getting the "new" Mad (I consider the "new" Mad to be the one based in LA), and it's been lacking. Oh, sure, some things bring a smile, and I can see where they are trying (a new artist has taken over Dave Berg's "The Lighter Side," for example), and it still has Sergio Aragones doing "A MAD Look At...." in each issue, but there are a lot of just plain dumb one-off comic strips that must have been unsolicited, sent by freelancers. It's missing the text features ("A Mad Primer To" would be an example), and the movie and TV satires that bookended each issue, back in the day (well, in fairness, it always contains one such satire, but not necessarily at the front or the back), and other content from the Usual Gang of Idiots. Many of the Idiots are gone now, but Mad doesn't seem to be trying to cultivate a new Usual Gang of Idiots.

But if Mad continues to publish, just with past material, that's not so bad, IMHO. Let's face it, I--and I am sure others--remember past features and such fondly, and would like to read them again. Problem is that our original magazines were thrown out by parents, eaten by the dog, or lost in a move. Thing is, that Mad will have to watch for dated material--I doubt very much that Spiro Agnew jokes would be understood nowadays.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Thing is, that Mad will have to watch for dated material--I doubt very much that Spiro Agnew jokes would be understood nowadays.
If I owned Mad, I would latch onto that and never let go. "Spiro Agnew" would become the go-to name/punchline for everything. It even slots in great with "potrezebie" and "veeblefetzer"; try it, they roll off the tongue.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-06-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
We worked from an LP, probably an "Original Cast" version. I don't have that LP anymore, so I'm not sure. Linda Lavin, Jo Anne Worley, Paul Sand, Richard Libertini, and MacIntyre Dixon were in the cast, according to Wikipedia. Not to mention Robert Goulet's voice.

"Oh, I love my mother!"

"Here I am, in my room, with my tape recorder..."

"Wait a minute! Just YOU sing it!"

"You never can trust those people...just like you never can trust you and me!"

"Tall and tan, moves like a dancer,
But I never seem to get any answer..."
Old 07-06-2019, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
OK, who else has kept their copies?

I have 30 or so from the 1970s in a box in the attic.
The complete (first 53 years) of MAD is available on a DVD. Absolutely MAD
Old 07-06-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
The complete (first 53 years) of MAD is available on a DVD. Absolutely MAD
The word "complete" is a misnomer. Several articles by outsiders are not included due to reprint permissions. Most notably the Andy Griffith "What is was, was football." one. Fortunately, someone has filled in the blanks. (PDF)
Old 07-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I'm struggling to keep my fantasy 43-man squamish league going. I may have to fold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
One of MAD's contributors tweeted: "It's wild that Al Jaffee [AFAIK still doing the fold-in at age 98] outlasted MAD as a living entity. I wish others were still here as well to raise a seltzer bottle. And I wish MAD would hire Jaffee to do the cover for the last original issue of the magazine. Because, for all intents and purposes, MAD is folding."
It's wild that I was born before Mad started, and will outlast it.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:03 PM

My local newspaper said that MAD will not totally cease publication; the magazines will be compilations of old features, and they will still publish books.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

MAD, We Hardly Knew Ye…
Old 07-08-2019, 11:45 AM

Remember the "Mad Zeppelin"? Looked online, figured someone would have a PDF of the thing, but no luck.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Remember the "Mad Zeppelin"? Looked online, figured someone would have a PDF of the thing, but no luck.
Potrzebie!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:24 PM

For those of you who wax nostalgic and lament in MAD's demise: you could have tried to buying it sometime in the last 4 decades to help sales.

Sad fact is MAD jumped the shark in the 1990s and has been on life support after Bush II left office (old Alfred E. Neuman himself).

It's also sad that the vastly inferior Cracked magazine lives on as a content farm website.

The Onion used to be good too.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSign View Post
For those of you who wax nostalgic and lament in MAD's demise: you could have tried to buying it sometime in the last 4 decades to help sales.
Wow; thanks for coming to the thread to tell us all off.
Quote:
It's also sad that the vastly inferior Cracked magazine lives on as a content farm website.
I'm not sure "content farm" is an accurate description of a site that adds new, original content multiple times a day. If it is, then I must love content farms because the Washington Post, the New Yorker, the Atlantic, etc. totally fucking rock.
Quote:
The Onion used to be good too.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Wow; thanks for coming to the thread to tell us all off.
I'm not sure "content farm" is an accurate description of a site that adds new, original content multiple times a day. If it is, then I must love content farms because the Washington Post, the New Yorker, the Atlantic, etc. totally fucking rock.
I don't know if you got the memo but Cracked 100% sucks now that they got rid of most of their writers and now let freelancers or Cracked readers themselves write most of the articles. I think Seanbaby is the only person who still puts effort into their posts and doesn't just reuse old articles.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Sad fact is MAD jumped the shark in the 1990s
That's a big part of what we're lamenting.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:05 PM

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-10-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 AM

I did my part. I've had a subscription since 1987 and still look forward to its arrival in my mailbox. This news broke my heart.

But I also figured we were on borrowed time for a long time...I teach teenagers, and I periodically ask them if they are familiar with Mad magazine. I'll bet it's been 20 years or more since one of them said yes.

Once, a few years ago, I saw a girl, maybe 13 or 14, buying one at a B&N, which warmed my heart until my kid suggested that she was almost certainly buying it for her father.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
If you buy the Mad DVD set mentioned above, it contains all the specials and annuals, along with scans of all the things they stuck in as "premiums" *. One of the early Specials had a punch-out model of the Mad Zeppelin. You can print it out from the DVD and assemble it again!

*unfortunately, they don't have music files of the cheap vinyl records they sometimes sandwiched into these special issues.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
When I was in high school, I talked our choir teacher to include some of the fucked up lyrics they wrote for Christmas songs. I remember they were a smash with the audience, especially We Three Clods.
"We three clods from Omaha are,
Spending Christmas Eve in a car,
Driving, drinking,
Glasses clinking,
Who needs a lousy bar?"

Also:

"It hangs down from our chandelier,
We've no idea what it does.
It's shape is weird and drips with goo,
And it lets off a high-sounding buzz.

It grows a couple of feet each day,
And wriggles with a kind of twitch.
We keep it 'cause it's a present from,
A visiting uncle who's rich."
Old 07-26-2019, 12:03 PM

I have great affection for Mad. It was a great source of cultural literacy for me, and to this day there are many movies, books, poems and the like that I can discuss intelligently without actually consuming thanks to the Mad parodies. Mad has also given me a weird second-hand nostalgia for a filthy, crime-ridden New York of the seventies that I never actually experienced.

When I was a kid, the local flea market had a stand that sold illegal, coverless copies for a quarter. Spending a dollar there was a real treat. I haven’t read a new issue for many years, and the last time it did it wasn’t very good. Maybe I’ll pull out some old issues just to see if they still stand up.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If you buy the Mad DVD set mentioned above, it contains all the specials and annuals, along with scans of all the things they stuck in as "premiums" *. One of the early Specials had a punch-out model of the Mad Zeppelin. You can print it out from the DVD and assemble it again!

*unfortunately, they don't have music files of the cheap vinyl records they sometimes sandwiched into these special issues.
Well, there is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCuiN2JnjpE