Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What is the most unusual beer you've ever had?

There is a tradition at our house where the ladies pick out a "Friday beer" for me. The rules are that I have no choice in the matter, and that it must be something I have never had before. Cerridwin leans towards dark beers, but My Beloved(Rahne McCloud) leans towards strange labels and any collaborations between Rogue Brewery and Voodoo Donuts. The Lemon Chiffon Cruller beer was the worst they ever presented to me...but the most unusual had to be the [i]Grape Guerrilla. That's right-Grape beer. The Beer Advocate's description of
Quote:
Taste is light wheat bread totally trounced by grape soda and Dimetapp
is pretty much on the money.

What about y'all?

Last edited by Bone; 08-20-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: fixed typo in thread title at OP request
Old 08-20-2019, 10:43 AM

Traditional lambic and gueuze at the Cantillon Brewery in Brussels. Not my favorite style (and hard to get anywhere else), but very, very interesting. Very low carbonation, which is probably why I didn't love it.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Sam Adam's Utopias tasted like a Bual or Malmsey Madeira. Sweet, toffee, higher alcohol, smooth. Glad I wasnt buying it, but a neat, albeit strange experience. Even Tom Hardy's Ale didn't transform from beer into something else the way Utopias did.

Cave Creek Chile beer was unusual for how unusually nauseating the taste was. I like lighter lagers, I like chiles. Just not the two in the same bottle, I guess.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have had a bottle of the extremely rare "Romulan Ale" from El Salvador, but beyond the large amount of blue dye it contained it wasn't so much unusual as it was skunky to the max. If you ever acquire a bottle, just keep it on display-do not pop that cap.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Cave Creek Chile beer was unusual for how unusually nauseating the taste was. I like lighter lagers, I like chiles. Just not the two in the same bottle, I guess.
Was going to nominate that one. Yeah, I'll go with that description too. Bleah.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:25 AM

brew pub near me once had one called "Ring of Fire," it was basically a mild red ale brewed with jalapeno peppers.

I like beer, I like peppers, but I was not enthralled with the results of the twain meeting.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:25 AM

I don't remember the brand name, but I once won a mixed six-pack of imported beer in a fishing tournament, and one was a Belgian lambic framboise. Yes, raspberry beer. Bleah indeed!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayaker View Post
I don't remember the brand name, but I once won a mixed six-pack of imported beer in a fishing tournament, and one was a Belgian lambic framboise. Yes, raspberry beer. Bleah indeed!
I love a raspberry lambic, yummy.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 AM

Seaweed beer (Kelpie) sounds weird but is actually a very good beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
My Beloved(Rahne McCloud) leans towards strange labels and any collaborations between Rogue Brewery and Voodoo Donuts. The Lemon Chiffon Cruller beer was the worst they ever presented to me...but the most unusual had to be the [i]Grape Guerrilla. That's right-Grape beer. The Beer Advocate's description of is pretty much on the money.

What about y'all?
I actually liked each of the Rogue/VooDoo Donut collaborations. The Bacon Maple Ale was my favorite. Realizing that the flavors were arrived at naturally is amazing.

The only strange beer I really did not like was a nasty stout made by a small local craft brewer using Habanero and Scotch Bonnet peppers. The brewer admitted the beer was too much, and was offering shot glass tastes at an event.

Most people took a sip, gagged, coughed, and threw out what remained in the glass. I worked at drinking an entire shot, then had two more to give the beer a chance. I had nasty diarrhea for 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Traditional lambic and gueuze at the Cantillon Brewery in Brussels. Not my favorite style (and hard to get anywhere else), but very, very interesting. Very low carbonation, which is probably why I didn't love it.
I love sours. At a beer tasting I offered a free seat at our table to a late arrival. The guy had a bomber bottle from Cantillon, not available in the US, that he had lovingly carried home from Brussels. He opened the bottle and shared it with us. Mmmmmm.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
You probably wouldn't like Fruli, a strawberry beer.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:44 AM

There's a little village in Germany, name of Bamberg, that is famous for its smoked beer. I'm not sure why. To me, it tasted as if someone had taken a nice glass of beer and dropped an oily piece of smoked salmon into it. Yuck.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Me too. Lindemans makes a great one. I'd love to try Cantillon's version, which is supposed to be dry. If you like framboise lambics, you should give Rodenbach's red ales a try. Less sweet. very fruity though. Definitely unusual as beers go.

About chile and beer, I don't doubt that there can be a good combination of the two, but Cave Creek ain't it.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 08-20-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Yep. Rauchbier. Vile stuff. I've brewed it and won ribbons for it, but I sure dislike drinking it.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
There's a little village in Germany, name of Bamberg, that is famous for its smoked beer. I'm not sure why. To me, it tasted as if someone had taken a nice glass of beer and dropped an oily piece of smoked salmon into it. Yuck.
Aecht Schlenkerla Brauerei is the famous one there. I like them, especially the Märzen, but they are an acquired taste. Alaskan Brewing Co.'s Smoked Porter, I find to be even more intensely smoky, almost undrinkable on release. The beer does develop with modest age (9 months-2 years) though, and is complex and wonderful.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You, you.........you heathen!

For the record, my favourite beer is Lindeman's Kriek - same thing but with cherries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
As a style, yeah, I'll go with geuze. A friend brought me six bottles back from Belgium. You never forget your first geuze. I was horrified by it, but stuck with it out of loyalty to the friend. By bottle six I was gently hooked.

j
Old 08-20-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Aecht Schlenkerla Brauerei is the famous one there. I like them, especially the Märzen, but they are an acquired taste. Alaskan Brewing Co.'s Smoked Porter, I find to be even more intensely smoky, almost undrinkable on release. The beer does develop with modest age (9 months-2 years) though, and is complex and wonderful.
I'll defer to your superior palate. The one in Bamberg did nothing for me.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:07 PM

I think your and silenus's opinion is shared by most people.

It was hilarious looking at the face of the German beer-styles lover and owner of the brewery I was tasting at, when I asked him, "So, you like making traditional German beers ? Are you going to make a rauchbier?" His face looked a lot like my Highlands-drinking father-in-law's did after he asked, "What's that Scotch you're drinking? Laphroaig? Can I try?"

I'm weird. I admit it.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:13 PM

Coworker got a mixed 6 pack of Leffe which included Leffe Ruby. Even the Leffe website's page for the Ruby is broken. From Saveur Biere
Quote:
Bright, fruity Belgian fruit ale, bursting with berry flavour
The person who got that bottle did not finish it.

I've tried raspberry beer. I will not do it again.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I think your and silenus's opinion is shared by most people.

It was hilarious looking at the face of the German beer-styles lover and owner of the brewery I was tasting at, when I asked him, "So, you like making traditional German beers ? Are you going to make a rauchbier?" His face looked a lot like my Highlands-drinking father-in-law's did after he asked, "What's that Scotch you're drinking? Laphroaig? Can I try?"

I'm weird. I admit it.
LOL, well, that brewery in Bamberg has been in business since 1405, so I guess more than a few people enjoy the style! Just not me, silenus and a German beer-styles lover.

I do enjoy Laphroaig, though. I guess I'm half-weird.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Ever been to A La Mort Subite in Bruxelles?

I really hate to be "That Guy" (even though apparently for many around here, at least in threads to do with matters of personal taste, being "That Guy" is a celebrated art form) but to those in the know, there are Belgian lambics, and then there are A La Mort Subite beers.

Simply put, they are truly the pinnacle of all fruit beers.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Mmm, beer...

I've always liked beers emphasizing the flavors of roasted malt and yeast, so today's craft brewing fixation on hops doesn't work for me. I mean, why should one brewing company have 6 different IPA's? But here are two types that I've really liked and found unusual:

- Dark beer recipes that taste a bit like wine. One example of this is Moretti's La Rossa, from Italy. But I've tasted similar stuff from the USA. Pyramid brewing had something called "Ancient Ale" or "1000 year ale" which was winey. These are often fermented in old red wine barrels, as another type I like, Saison, sometimes is. Now, I'm not a wine drinker, but wine-tasting beer is right up my alley.
So, question: What do you call such an ale? Wine-tasting dark beer? There's got to be a name for this type of beer...

- Wisconsin's beers just keep getting better and better. I got a bunch from New Glarus brewing earlier this summer, including a Belgian (cherry) red ale that was an impulse buy. I think it was this: https://newglarusbrewing.com/index.c...in-belgian-red OMG it had a super-intense cherry taste. Couldn't believe it. Had to sip it. It was so potent I thought surely it would hurt me. But it did not make me feel sick at all.

Last edited by Limmin; 08-20-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:26 PM

I had a banana lambic that tasted like a banana-flavored BB Bat and carbonated water.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:32 PM

I don't know about most unusual ever but recently I bought a Flying Dog brewery seasonal summer 12-pack and one of beers in it was "Dead Rise," brewed with Old Bay crab seasoning. It was primarily a wheat "summer ale," but with a subtle but noticeable flavor of Old Bay. Actually not bad. I'd buy it again.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Mine is not sooo exotic, but for me who gets his beer in Germany where historically pushing the boundaries of what you can call "beer" is frowned upon, the most unusual was EKU 28, "one of the strongest beers in the world" as advertised. It had that mystique already 33 years ago when I was 18 and it was first served to me. Of course we all thought it had 28 % alcohol, but in fact (like I just learned on the website) it's a "mere" 11 %. Never drank it again, because it tasted sweeter than a German malt beer, not refreshing at all and more like a fruit liquor.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Some novelty abomination that had an actual chili pepper floating in it. Comfortably in the top-five worst things that have ever been in my mouth.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Egyptian Stella. Not to be confused in any way with Stella Artois. This stuff usually had unidentified floaters in it and tasted like what I would imagine panther piss to taste like.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Mine is not sooo exotic, but for me who gets his beer in Germany where historically pushing the boundaries of what you can call "beer" is frowned upon, the most unusual was EKU 28, "one of the strongest beers in the world" as advertised. It had that mystique already 33 years ago when I was 18 and it was first served to me. Of course we all thought it had 28 % alcohol, but in fact (like I just learned on the website) it's a "mere" 11 %. Never drank it again, because it tasted sweeter than a German malt beer, not refreshing at all and more like a fruit liquor.
I've had this, and liked it. I also love Belgian beers - all styles - lambics, sours, dubbels, trippels, etc. I've also had American beer made with hemp and African beer made with sorghum, and those were OK too. I've had a veritable multitude of fruit beers that ranged from 'mighty good' (typically Belgian) to 'once was enough' (a banana-flavored one). There seems to be agreement in this thread that chili-flavored beer is just wrong. I concur.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:43 PM

Anchor Steam spruce beer. It was bottled nightmare. Tasted like Lestoil® mop-water smells. Half a bottle made me sick and left me viciously hungover for two solid days. Apparently, spruce beer was a thing back when scurvy was a widespread concern. Happily, times change.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
About chile and beer, I don't doubt that there can be a good combination of the two, but Cave Creek ain't it.
If you find yourself in Reno during the summer, Great Basin Brewing makes a Kolsch-style Cerveza Chilebeso that I really enjoy. People either love it or hate it, though - there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
You, you.........you heathen!
Meh, I want a beer, not dessert. There's already too much sweet-tasting crap in the world.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

someone please tell me they tried Obadiah Poundage

Goose Island teamed up with beer historian Ron Pattinson to brew a real traditional Porter from 1840: Obadiah Poundage. Fascinating video here. And a news article here.

Long story short, they
1. used a recipe from 1840 brewing logs
2. Went to seed bank, and literally regrew an effectively "extinct" barley that was prevalent back in the day
3. maltsters made firewood from the traditional wood and then roasted over open coals in a historic recreation
4. Had help from an English master brewer who has been brewing English beers for 50 years or so
5. more that I've forgotten

Now that's a beer to brag about! Sadly I've never met anyone who's even tried one, much less had a taste myself.

I'm not into German Chocolate Cake or any of those dessert beers beyond a very occasional novelty test. I also generally dislike the taste of American hops, so the IPA craze has passed me by.

I try local beers whenever I travel. Asia tends to be light German lagers. Although when I visited the Sapporo Brewery, I tried "On The Rocks". IIRC, it was around 6% ABV and brewed as a summer beer enjoyed poured over a glass full of ice. Aim was after it had been poured warm on ice, ice melted, temperature dropped, and voila a tasty beer (versus something watered down). I never saw it anywhere else after that one time brewery visit.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:13 AM

I had a beer called Kopikat, which---not so unusually---was a coffee-infused stout, but where the coffee was Kopi Luwak---i. e. the stuff that's been excreted by a civet cat. It wasn't shit. (This was before I knew how the cats are usually treated in the production of the coffee.)

I also had a Schorschbock (from Schorschbräu), who pride themselves in making the strongest beers in the world (record is currently 57%, I think, achieved by fractional freezing). The one I had 'only' had 20%, but it really didn't have much in common with beer---little to no carbonation, thick, sickly sweet.

I usually like strong beers, but too far beyond 10% just isn't really right anymore.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:19 AM

I had a beer brewed with watermelon juice. It wasn't sweet, it was just a regular beer with an off-putting watermelony aftertaste. Meh.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Pineapple beers have shifted toward mainstream I think, but they can be very tasty.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 AM

Strongest has been BrewDog Tactical Nuclear Penguin at %32. It's ice distilled and tastes like beer brandy.

A subtle chilli beer is Bingham's Hot Dog Chilli Stout, you get a bit of heat after the swallow. They also do Ginger Doodle Stout with a nice ginger heat, and Peppercorn Porter.

Several different breweries do beers with elderflowers. I've lots of beers with different fruits including peach, cherry, raspberry, lemon, raisin, banana and probably others I'm forgetting. Fraoch Heather Ale is a gruit from Williams Brothers that uses heather instead of hops. There are a few others that include nettles or thistles along with hops.

Barrel aging seems to be on-trend right now, a favourite is Ola Dubh from Harviestone.

I like the German rauchbiers, it's like beer and bacon!

Sours are also very trendy right now, but my favourite is one that's been around forever, Rodenbach Grand Cru.

I recently hit 3100 unique beers on Untappd so there are probably some oddballs that I've forgotten about.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM

Nettle beer. Made from stinging nettles. Although, after looking it up, it seems like it's not a proper beer.
https://untappd.com/b/foodswild-cornish-stingers/374548

I've seen Brewdog's Dead Squirrel Beer, but haven't ever spent the money to try it. I've been tempted though.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a7436201.html
Old 08-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Funnel cake beer and banana bread beer. Tie. (Surprisingly good!)

Runner up is jalapeno beer. (Meh)

Last edited by Philster; 08-21-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:51 PM

I've brewed a couple weird ones. One was a Magnolia Ale, the other a Chocolate-Raspberry Stout.

Both were very good, but I cut the raspberry in the later in half what the recipe called for. Damn glad I did.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:55 PM

Unusual? Oh, that's an easy one. The Budweiser Discovery Reserve American Red Lager. It's a Budweiser product that actually tastes pretty good!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Rogue has a strawberry rhubarb ale that I'll try out soon, and maybe I'll try their black currant ale also.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:10 PM

Ingenious Brewing had a booth at a beer & music festival.

They served "Alebrijes" that tastes like chocolate mole. "Mole style imperial stout with cacao nibs, cinnamon, peanuts, sesame seeds, anise, guajillo chilies, and ancho chilies."

Also one that tasted like a PB&J. Might have been "Peanut Butter Vs Jelly," although that one's a porter and I'd swear the fruity one was a jelly-colored IPA.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM

I haven't tried it, but I'd like to introduce smoked whale testicle beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
You probably wouldn't like Fruli, a strawberry beer.
It's pretty much liquid candy. A small child would love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
If you find yourself in Reno during the summer, Great Basin Brewing makes a Kolsch-style Cerveza Chilebeso that I really enjoy. People either love it or hate it, though - there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.
It's one of those things that I can recognize is really good, and don't regret trying it, but I would not want to drink it regularly. I'm glad I asked for a taste instead of a pint.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:06 PM

I've also had a couple of gruit or gruut-beers, which are brewed according to an old-style recipe from before hops became the standard beer seasoning, substituting various mixtures of herbs.

Really makes you appreciate hops.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:36 PM

Does my drinking Cool Colt count? For one thing, it's malt liquor not actual beer and for another it was only a few swallows and then it came back again. It was beyond vile.

In case anyone is wondering Cool Colt was Colt 45 with menthol. They didn't sell it for long.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Does my drinking Cool Colt count? For one thing, it's malt liquor not actual beer and for another it was only a few swallows and then it came back again. It was beyond vile.

In case anyone is wondering Cool Colt was Colt 45 with menthol. They didn't sell it for long.
Speaking of vile, I am very surprised to see that pink Champale is still made.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
I've also had a couple of gruit or gruut-beers, which are brewed according to an old-style recipe from before hops became the standard beer seasoning, substituting various mixtures of herbs.
On a similar note, I had a homebrewed dandelion beer.

The dandelions add bitterness but the beer I had also had hops. It wasn't very good IMO. If I recall the name of the brewer correctly he really liked high hops styles and IPAs. I generally don't. I'm thinking my issue was more with his hop choices than the dandelions. It's been too long and the memory is vague though.

I have to check out a gruut beer if I ever wander across one. A mix of the non-hop bitterness with lower than normal hops might work pretty well for my tastes as well.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Wow, I'd forgotten about Cool Colt. Like (probably) 95% of the people who tried it, I only did so once. Worst 94 cents I ever spent.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM

For me, it has to be rauchbier. It's not something I'd want as an 'every day beer', but I actually rather enjoyed it. It smelled and tasted pretty much exactly like beer would smell and taste if you could barbecue it.

I love Laphroiag, too

Last edited by Suburban Plankton; 08-21-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer was pretty unusual. And pretty bad. Beer made with tomato, garlic, basil, oregano, and onion is not something one would want to binge drink! My throat actually clinched while this was going down!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:

If were going to talk malt liquors, I remember the original Four Loko, no longer produced because reasons. I heard about it and decided to buy a few cans. The combination of alcohol and caffeine kicked my ass, and the taste was hideous.