Old 09-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

September's shot already (mini-rants)

Well, "the more things change, the more they stay the same". White male born in the US goes on a shooting spree. What is the reaction? "Let's not talk about gun control" and "Let's pray some more". And let's not forget how much these gun fanatics bitch about how it's unconstitutional to take away their guns, but Heaven forbid the same nuts actually honor the rest of the constitution.

Any other news item which happens to have a "non-standard" name (as in, "Hey, Bubba Joe Jim Bob, I don't reckon that there name is a 'Merican name. What you think? Damn dirty foreigners.") is automatically polluted with comments and reactions, both online and in real life, by bigots wishing for odd things like mass deportations and even mass executions.

I'm teaching three classes for Year 12 (the classes run for 3 semesters, oddly enough), two of which are firmly convinced they do not need to study, let alone practice, for their upcoming online assessment which they must pass to graduate. Guess how many are going to pass. Go ahead, guess. I dare you.

The third class just started two weeks ago (yeah, I know; right smack dab in the middle of August--next clown that tells me the school year begins in September is going to land on the Moon) and although they're a bit more academic than the other two classes, they're already convinced that English is not something they need to take seriously. I guess someone in Australia lied to them about the language of instruction there. While it's not English (I kid!), it's close enough.

The temperature is now 25 and the high is projected to be 34. (Those are degrees C, in case you were wondering). And, yes, it's humid as Hell.

Oh, more fun. My Georgia state driver license expires in November. I cannot renew it online because Georgia took too damn long to get around to being RealID compliant. Whoopee! And how will they be sure I'm really me the next time I'm in Georgia and apply for a driver license? Why, I'll show them my passport, the same damn document I showed to get my current license.

So, to avoid that nonsense, I'm prepping to take the China driver license test before my GA license dies. Damn thing is 100 questions, and I must get 90 correct to pass. 90%? WTF? Judging by what I see with my own eyes here, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the majority of drivers are driving without a license. There's no way they passed that test given the way they drive.

Whew! That's enough for now. I hate fucking bureaucracy.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
So, to avoid that nonsense, I'm prepping to take the China driver license test before my GA license dies. Damn thing is 100 questions, and I must get 90 correct to pass. 90%? WTF? Judging by what I see with my own eyes here, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the majority of drivers are driving without a license. There's no way they passed that test given the way they drive.
Perhaps they are constantly checking the source material while they drive?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:45 PM

One of my car's headlights burnt out recently. I don't know exactly when; with daylight lasting so late, I don't drive after dark often. Being a newer vehicle, I figured I'd just open the back of the light, twist out the old bulb, twist in the new one, replace the cap. Except the bulb wouldn't budge. They guy at Autozone couldn't get it out either. Damn!

YouTube showed some people twisting it out. Liars! Others removed the whole assembly which would give plenty of access to remove the bulb. It looked fairly easy. Turns out, it was. I probably spent more time initially trying to remove the bulb itself than it took to remove the whole assembly. I replaced both sides' bulbs to hopefully forestall having to do this again for a while.

Question: did I waste money buying contact lubrication? I hope it'll make removal easier next time.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:52 AM

I swear my children are going to drive me into an insane asylum or an early grave. This morning my older son was irritated with me because, and I'm not making this up, I did not punish his brother for retaliating against him. Yes, you read that correctly - retaliate.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:08 PM

In an anti-rant sorta way, tomorrow is the start of our school year... and the first day in over forty years I won't have to be there!

Fellow retired teachers kept telling me that I wouldn't notice over the summer: "Oh, this summer doesn't really count, you won't FEEL retired until classes start". Well, bring it on, Universe, I'm ready to FEEEEEEL...

Oh, you want a rant? Daughter's getting married in a few weeks. They want "everything handmade", from decor to flowers to potluck rehearsal dinner... which means SO much is still unplanned (and not-even-thought-about yet), AND she just lost her phone which won't help with that... oh, and the fiancé decided to keep playing dangerous sports until the wedding...

...which he will now be attending in a cast.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
I swear my children are going to drive me into an insane asylum or an early grave. This morning my older son was irritated with me because, and I'm not making this up, I did not punish his brother for retaliating against him. Yes, you read that correctly - retaliate.
My oldest son came home from I think kindergarten and explained to me in that earnest way small children have when they are sharing some deep truth they have uncovered, that it is OK to hit someone if they hit you back.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
My oldest son came home from I think kindergarten and explained to me in that earnest way small children have when they are sharing some deep truth they have uncovered, that it is OK to hit someone if they hit you back.
My nephew came home from kindergarten angrily indignant. "Well, if I can't hit anybody, how am I supposed to make them do what I want them to do?!!!"
Old 09-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
A frequent complaint about the written part of the Spanish test is that it's more about deciphering convoluted grammar than about knowing what to do. Maybe the Chinese one is the same.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Oh, you want a rant? Daughter's getting married in a few weeks. They want "everything handmade", from decor to flowers to potluck rehearsal dinner... which means SO much is still unplanned (and not-even-thought-about yet), AND she just lost her phone which won't help with that... oh, and the fiancé decided to keep playing dangerous sports until the wedding...

...which he will now be attending in a cast.

Surely the cast is handmade, one of those old plaster-of-paris types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
My nephew came home from kindergarten angrily indignant. "Well, if I can't hit anybody, how am I supposed to make them do what I want them to do?!!!"

Is he the student or the teacher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
A frequent complaint about the written part of the Spanish test is that it's more about deciphering convoluted grammar than about knowing what to do. Maybe the Chinese one is the same.

Would that it were. A couple of years ago, the government farmed out the translation to professional (and actually capable) translators. Now the language is perfectly understandable. The questions, though, are yanked from a database of over one thousand (the app I'm using to prep has 1,627 questions) and some of them are about fairly obscure things. Actually, it seems to me that anything done in English in this country is so difficult because China is peeved at the English language for using byzantine instead of Chinese to mean "complex or intricate".
Old 09-03-2019, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
In an anti-rant sorta way, tomorrow is the start of our school year... and the first day in over forty years I won't have to be there!
Finishing sixth grade turned out to be quite the chore, eh?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-03-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:00 AM

First day of school for Chinese schools. Some loon kills eight elementary school students and injures two others. The culprit was released from prison after serving his sentence for attempted murder "last June" (I don't know if they mean this past June or June last year).
Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
When my daughter was in pre-school, she had a boy that wouldn't quit tormenting her. Pushing, teasing, just being a pain.
So she clocked him.
When her teacher asked why, she responded with a quote from "The Aristocats", which was almost on a loop at my house: "Ladies don't start fights, but they can finish them!"
Her father and I were called in for a discussion that day.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:42 AM

PSA: if you find yourself telling a(n attractive) coworker that "the wife… she doesn't understand me"...

Do not.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
When my daughter was in pre-school, she had a boy that wouldn't quit tormenting her. Pushing, teasing, just being a pain.
So she clocked him.
When her teacher asked why, she responded with a quote from "The Aristocats", which was almost on a loop at my house: "Ladies don't start fights, but they can finish them!"
Her father and I were called in for a discussion that day.
You would have been called in for a much longer discussion if her response had been a quote from “The Aristocrats”...
Old 09-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Dog got in the chicken coop yesterday and filled up on chicken feed. Woke me at 2 a.m. needing to go outside most urgently. Yet I still wound up removing mass quantities of dog vomit from the carpet before work this morning.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
You would have been called in for a much longer discussion if her response had been a quote from “The Aristocrats”...
That's precisely where my mind went. I had to reread the post, while thinking "Maybe the kids really liked Gilbert Gottfried from Alladin. But a loop? Naah, they wouldn't have had that on a loop..."

Quote:
Finishing sixth grade turned out to be quite the chore, eh?
Ha! I thought about counting my school days, which started in '59 (Oh, I did leave a note on the board: "No more teacher's dirty looks...")

Last edited by digs; 09-03-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Saturday evening I posted on Facebook expressing my disbelief that Trump didn't believe Cat 5 hurricanes ever happened. .i

Some people responded with things like "he's a moron" and "he's a racist" (that last from someone who lives in FL, but has family in PR who were *devastated* by Maria).

And in chimes my sister-in-law, pointing out that "only 3 of them have ever hit us". And linking to a 2 year old article saying that only 3 cat-5 hurricanes had ever hit the US. Which was true enough at the time (this was as Irma was heading our way) but is no longer true (Michael, 2018).

Others chimed in with links to the fact that there have been a lot more than 3 cat-5 hurricanes. I responded by saying "may have been true at the time if filtering for ones that were still cat-5 when they hit the mainland".

Her response: "Since none of you all will listen to facts that disagree with your preconceived expectations, I'm bowing out".

Pot, meet kettle. Yes, those links were buried in a lot of "Trump's a moron" posts, but still....

I actually messaged her saying pretty much what I posted above. and saying that it doesn't have to be cat-5 at landfall to be devastating (e.g. Katrina, Sandy). I then followed up with "I wouldn't have bothered to respond but you accused others of refusing to look at facts that disagreed with their preconceptions". Probably shouldn't have bothered with that last. But if she can throw a hissy fit, so can I.

Oh, and Trump's quote this weekend?

He said virtually the IDENTICAL thing... 2 years ago.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I don't understand celebrity obsession, especially on news sites. Specifically this: following the horrific fire aboard the Conception, Rob Lowe tweeted that he had been aboard that vessel many times.

OK. How, exactly, is that newsworthy? CNN certainly thought enough of it to put it on their home page. Well, a link to it with a small font headline. But it adds nothing to the story, so what's the point?

My head hurts.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I don't understand celebrity obsession, especially on news sites.
I don't understand celebrity obsession. Full stop.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Set's CHIN WHISKERS, cat, if you're going to slide off the arm of the chair, don't FUCKING USE ME AS YOUR RESCUE ANCHOR. It's not that far down to the floor, you asshole, and you were headed there feet first anyway.

THAT HURT.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
True. Although the lecture I received from her teacher when she started singing Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" loudly in class... I don't think "The Aristocrats" would've been much worse.
I was a horrible parent.

(Side note: I'm pretty sure she's getting engaged tomorrow! I know he bought a ring and it's their three year anniversary. She is hoping for something romantic. She also sprained her ankle today AND hacked up her hand today, along with dealing with severe allergies. Her boyfriend's notion of romantic is putting his dirty laundry in the hamper, sooo…)
Old 09-03-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
True. Although the lecture I received from her teacher when she started singing Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" loudly in class... I don't think "The Aristocrats" would've been much worse.
I was a horrible parent.
Pissing the night away, pissing the night away
Old 09-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Price Gouging in Florida

Quote:
Florida's attorney general has received more than 2,400 reports of price gouging.
Consumers in parts of the state report cases of water selling for more than $9, more than double its regular cost, while some gas stations jacked up fuel prices.
I hope the residents remember these businesses and those who ran them. And treats them like the shitstains they are.

-God
Old 09-03-2019, 09:08 PM

So I was at the doctor a few weeks ago, and she called me out on being overdue for colonoscopy. I keep putting it off because I detest the prep. But I watch TV and I’ve seen those Cologuard commercials, where some little cartoon character giggles about “collecting your sample”. So my doctor agreed to send me a Cologuard kit.

It came in a disturbingly large box. It turns out they weren’t kidding about that sample thing. Basically, you take a crap into a little plastic bucket and send them the whole damn thing. Which got me to thinking that worst job in the universe is located at the Exact Science Laboratory in Madison, WI.

The large box included the plastic crap bucket, a bracket for affixing the crap bucket to the toilet, a big bottle of crap preservative, and a crap probe ( to be used before you pour on the turd fixative). Crap, probe, preserve, seal and label. The instructions include a little drawing of a turd in a bucket with the disclaimer that this sketch of a turd may not look like your turd. So don’t freak out.

Then you put the bucket of crap in a big ziplock bag and put the big ziplock bag in the cardboard box that it came in. Then you get to take your box with the bag containing your bucket of crap to UPS, and send it to Wisconsin using the prepaid return label. The DISTINCTIVE prepaid return box. Tomorrow morning I get to walk into my corner store, the place where I frequently buy milk, and hand over my crap box to my friendly neighborhood shop owner.

What a way to start the day.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 09-03-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Dear Ann Hedonia: Thanks for this, for two reasons. One, I had actually thought of doing this and had the doctor order the box but it never came and then I had to have surgery, so...so I appreciate hearing all the details in case I do decide to do it. (heh heh: do do it? am I 12? yes)

And second, you gave me and DH a great big laugh, which is a great way to end our day. Have fun in the morning.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
So I was at the doctor a few weeks ago, and she called me out on being overdue for colonoscopy. I keep putting it off because I detest the prep. But I watch TV and I’ve seen those Cologuard commercials, where some little cartoon character giggles about “collecting your sample”. So my doctor agreed to send me a Cologuard kit.

It came in a disturbingly large box. It turns out they weren’t kidding about that sample thing. Basically, you take a crap into a little plastic bucket and send them the whole damn thing. Which got me to thinking that worst job in the universe is located at the Exact Science Laboratory in Madison, WI.

The large box included the plastic crap bucket, a bracket for affixing the crap bucket to the toilet, a big bottle of crap preservative, and a crap probe ( to be used before you pour on the turd fixative). Crap, probe, preserve, seal and label. The instructions include a little drawing of a turd in a bucket with the disclaimer that this sketch of a turd may not look like your turd. So don’t freak out.

Then you put the bucket of crap in a big ziplock bag and put the big ziplock bag in the cardboard box that it came in. Then you get to take your box with the bag containing your bucket of crap to UPS, and send it to Wisconsin using the prepaid return label. The DISTINCTIVE prepaid return box. Tomorrow morning I get to walk into my corner store, the place where I frequently buy milk, and hand over my crap box to my friendly neighborhood shop owner.

Been there, done that, with the exception that I had to walk mine (Can't drive) almost a mile to the very crowded UPS place, where I stood in line with my "distinctive" return box for almost 20 minutes. Fun times.

Still better than the colonoscopy.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:

You should be able to schedule UPS to pick up your test and you don't even have to be home. Of course, there are two risks:

1. Some thief will steal your poo from your front porch.

2. They may not pick it up in time to get your sample to the lab within 72 hours.

Of course, it's just a coincidence that UPS can also stand for "useless pieces of shit."
Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
The instructions include a little drawing of a turd in a bucket with the disclaimer that this sketch of a turd may not look like your turd. So don’t freak out.

What, nobody there expects people to have a smidgen of artistic talent? You can make that crap look exactly like the drawing!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Been there, done that, with the exception that I had to walk mine (Can't drive) almost a mile to the very crowded UPS place, where I stood in line with my "distinctive" return box for almost 20 minutes. Fun times.

Still better than the colonoscopy.
And either is better than the alternative (of having colon cancer discovered far too late). Yeah, you all knew I'd have something to say on the topic

On the "walking mine" front, a digression. In the early 1990s, I was on a project in NYC for several years. At one point, I developed some kind of nasty intestinal bug that had me running to the bathroom, doubled over with cramps, and pencil-pooing each time, for a week. Over the counter stuff had no effect. So I went to a doctor. Who drew blood, and asked me to provide a stool sample.

For the first time in a week, the gut decided to clam up. So I went home with a sample jar.

Next morning, I had to return the sample jar. It was hidden in my purse. And all I could think of as I walked uptown to his office was "Lord, I hope I never have my purse snatched here in NYC. But if it is my fate, today would be a perfect day for it!" then I chortled inwardly as I imagined explaining the purse contents to a policeman.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:59 AM

And the vigilantes get it wrong yet again!

Quote:
MODESTO, Calif. (KTXL) -- Police in Modesto say two men beat a homeless man to death with their bare hands after mistaking him for a sex offender.

Those who knew him say 63-year-old Jace Decker was often found sitting on a bench in Garrison Park.

Decker was attacked on Aug. 10, and died a few weeks later.

Investigators say two men, Matthew Arguello and Ruben Rosales, confronted Decker in Griffin Park, believing he was a registered sex offender.

Decker was not a sex offender, police said.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 AM

Is there any food related discussion that Ukelele Ike won’t swoop in, peacock over, than take a big steaming dump on?

Last edited by jz78817; 09-04-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post

Next morning, I had to return the sample jar. It was hidden in my purse. And all I could think of as I walked uptown to his office was "Lord, I hope I never have my purse snatched here in NYC. But if it is my fate, today would be a perfect day for it!" then I chortled inwardly as I imagined explaining the purse contents to a policeman.
When I was first pregnant, I had GD and needed to do a few 24 hour urine collections. In France, your doctor often sends you to an independent lab to get your bloods, urine, stool, etc. So, it went a bit like

See doctor on Wednesday, get prescription sheet.
Thursday morning, walk to lab down in the village and get blood drawn and your gallon plastic bottle
Friday afternoon, walk back to lab with gallon of pee

On my way back, with a gallon of pee in my shopping bag, I get stopped by two high school students who are determined- determined- that they will sell me their raffle tickets.

So I stood, in a light drizzle, a gallon of warm-ish urine dangling from my arm, trying to explain in bad French why today was just not their day. Or mine.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
So I was at the doctor a few weeks ago, and she called me out on being overdue for colonoscopy. (…)

When I went home in May, I had a nice letter from my UHC system sending a little sample tube and instructions on how to take a sample, to be left in the appropriate box installed at any healthcare center: if the sample comes up clean, you get a letter and if it's not clean you get a phone call about starring in a movie. Similar letters have been sent to half the people in the region who are over 50 and not part of colon monitoring for other reasons; the check will be done every two years.

The instructions included some stuff about sitting backwards on the toilet seat that I found quite confusing: I mean, I can understand not taking for granted that people have urinals but I'm reasonably sure that most people would have been able to come up with some methodology easier than what the letter described. Plus it didn't seem like it would work too well for, uh, certain types of substrates but ohmygodi'mturningintoanoldwomani'mtalkingaboutpoo!

The backwards procedure still would have been easier than what you describe

I am feeling a newfound respect both for urinals and for people who have to write instructions about how to take a stool sample.

Last edited by Nava; 09-04-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:27 AM

Speaking of poop...

You all already know that my daughter has autism. Part of her specific needs include issues with sensory integration. Specifically, she's not potty trained. Now, before you start telling me all your magical tips on how to potty train a stubborn child, please know that we have tried it, it didn't work, it's mostly like sensory and, hopefully, she'll get better with therapy.

Anyway, she started school yesterday. Yesterday was a short like orientation day for all the new kindergarteners. Today is the first day of real school. And it started poorly. She needs a harness on the bus because she can't sit still and will wander if given the opportunity, even on a moving bus. We had this put in her IEP, which we went over at the end of May. Transporation has had it since the end of May and they responded that they would be able to accomodate her. Last week, we went to transportation and got her harness, reminding them of her needs. Of course the bus showed up and was not equipped to handle her harness. Transportation called me and told me they would send another bus and then called me about 10-15 minutes later asking me to just take her to school, with the assurance that they would fix the issue for the afternoon bus.

So I did. Then, I went to work, angry, but sure things were getting better. I'm about 1/3rd of the way to work when the school called me again, telling me that my daughter has pooped her pants and that I must come and change her. And I'm like, wut? This is our plan? I told them she wasn't potty trained in May. I was upfront about it. We put a "potty plan" in place. But now every time she has an accident, I need to come in and change her? That's just absurd. Her teacher seemed genuinely surprised that my daughter has issues with this, as did the principal and her IEP coordinator.

And as the icing on the cake, when I got there to change her, she wasn't even poopy. She just has the farts. (She was wet and does have the skills to change herself as long as someone prompts her.)

I sent emails, I tried not to be emotional, just concerned and with an attitude of teamwork on solving the problem. I feel so out of my depth.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Once he figures out the answer to this question, can you post it here? I have a meeting with the users next week.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
... Tomorrow morning I get to walk into my corner store, the place where I frequently buy milk, and hand over my crap box to my friendly neighborhood shop owner.

Hm. It may be worth it to pay the bucks for delivery insurance, just for the fun of citing the $ value of your poop.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:17 PM

I actually just ended up handing my crap bucket box off to a UPS driver I passed on the street. Kind of like playing hot potato, you picked the WRONG time to deliver to this street, buddy. This one’s for you.

The UPS driver was parked a few doors down from the mini-market/UPS drop place. I thought handing it to him was a safer bet, because he might have just picked up from the mini-mart. In which case my carefully packaged turd may have waited until tomorrow for transport.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I sent emails, I tried not to be emotional, just concerned and with an attitude of teamwork on solving the problem. I feel so out of my depth.
It sounds like you are handling it great. I have been through something very similar, although I was lucky enough that neither of my kids were wanderers. My 11-year-old still struggles with the buttons on his pants, though. Fortunately he is so skinny that he can get them off without unbuttoning them.

But it appears that the high school forgot to put my 10th grader on the school bus list, so I am stuck driving him for the next week or two until they get their shit together.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENugent View Post
It sounds like you are handling it great. I have been through something very similar, although I was lucky enough that neither of my kids were wanderers. My 11-year-old still struggles with the buttons on his pants, though. Fortunately he is so skinny that he can get them off without unbuttoning them.

But it appears that the high school forgot to put my 10th grader on the school bus list, so I am stuck driving him for the next week or two until they get their shit together.
In your 11-year-old's defense, some of those buttons are really hard.

This morning went way better, no tantrums over not getting to ride the bus, only a little bit of running away from mommy for funsies, easy separation. I think today will go well. I'm not holding my breath though.

Today's actual, less dramatic rant - The bus stop for our trailer park is right at the front at the only entrance to the trailer park. There is some parking but mostly you just pull off on the side of the street. Except this one lady this morning who basically parked AT the stop sign where everyone needs to leave the park. Are you trying to make it dangerous for the not-child-having people to leave the park? Also, can you at least put your hazards on??
Old 09-05-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Once he figures out the answer to this question, can you post it here? I have a meeting with the users next week.
Hitting them wouldn't work in my case anyway, most of my users are either bigger than me or more of them than of me. The majority let themselves be calmed down and coaxed into Filling Up The Excels and so forth, but there's the occasional one that makes me want to go Attila On The Rocks on them… right now, one of the people I'm getting rid of never provides the data files in the requested formats or with the data in the appropriate columns. Turns out the first thing she does is remove all the "extraneous" stuff, AKA the instructions.

Last edited by Nava; 09-05-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

"Python is an incredibly easy language to learn"
I see this everywhere as I research. Why is it easy? Because EVERYTHING in Python is an object.
So easy that my local JUCO only offers classes in Python to 10 to 15 year olds.

Except my old brain resists Object Oriented Programming like it was death itself. Try as I might, any progress I gain into understanding it fades away with the next sleep cycle.

So, as I happily try to understand any nuance of this fun language I am constantly reminded that "it's OK, .... xxxx is also an object". Get it?...............NO

Last edited by BubbaDog; 09-05-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:08 AM

The buzzer system in my condo building has been broken for over a month. I work from home and still can't receive my packages because the delivery people can't get into the building. What on earth is taking them so long?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I pit two people.

One is the person who took a crap right outside the side door I usually take out of the parking garage. I know the homeless are people too, and everyone has basic biological needs, but I just thank god I didn’t step into any of it despite the surprise.

The other is... me. I’m borrowing a much larger and higher vehicle overnight, and had to park it in the aforementioned parking garage. I always shake my head at cars not parked between the lines, but just now I left that large vehicle not quite pulled as far in as I could, and nudging one of the lines, so I could make my bus.

OTOH, I wasn’t used to the car, and regular drivers should be, so...
Old 09-05-2019, 02:47 PM

I pit the VA eye care clinic at Mather Air Base. I just had cataract surgery, and don't get me wrong, they did an excellent job with the surgery (as far as I can tell). But they put me and another guy in the same pre-op room with two nurses prepping us and asking questions and checking our vitals prior to surgery. They repeatedly violated HIPAA regs by reporting his and my blood glucose levels, our medications (I didn't need to know that this stranger is on prostate meds), and what and when we ate last. That should have all been done in private.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:29 PM

Okay fam. We're not dating any more, but the person who came to visit came to visit you and me, so okay, fine, come over and see him.

But don't make a huge mess I then have to clean up when I get home late at night. And do not, do not, DO NOT smoke all my shit!

Seriously, the level of disrespect here is unbelievable. And it's not like I'm super eager to spend time with this person to begin with - I'm doing him a favor. Lesson fucking learned, I guess.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
(Side note: I'm pretty sure she's getting engaged tomorrow! I know he bought a ring and it's their three year anniversary. She is hoping for something romantic. She also sprained her ankle today AND hacked up her hand today, along with dealing with severe allergies. Her boyfriend's notion of romantic is putting his dirty laundry in the hamper, sooo…)
Instead, they ended up arguing most of the evening. They drove an hour to a restaurant that she likes, but it was not worth the hour drive. Then, instead of doing anything else, they turned around and drove home. Got home and he immediately started gaming.

Love, true love...
Old 09-05-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Instead, they ended up arguing most of the evening. They drove an hour to a restaurant that she likes, but it was not worth the hour drive. Then, instead of doing anything else, they turned around and drove home. Got home and he immediately started gaming.

Love, true love...
Ain't that the truth.
The lil'wrekker has accepted an engagement ring from her long time boyfriend. We like the kid. I just want her to finish her degree. I think I have convinced them of the correctness of this plan.
Here's the rub: Now that boyfriend is officially in the family I'm getting texts of every meal he eats. Stupid pix of his dog. A series of pix of his new shoes. And a picture of his car he just washed. WTF?
I am not a Facebooker, but I've gotten reports from the rest of the family he's blowing up their Facebook whatevers. I told the lil'wrekker to not get offended if people start blocking him. I've blocked his number from 2 phones myself. I ain't got no time for that crap.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-05-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Ain't that the truth.
Here's the rub: Now that boyfriend is officially in the family I'm getting texts of every meal he eats. Stupid pix of his dog. A series of pix of his new shoes. And a picture of his car he just washed. WTF?
Send him pics of your every bowel movement. That'll get him off the grid!

-Marcel Marceau
Old 09-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Are personal mobility scooters considered to be street-legal vehicles now? The two wrecks I almost witnessed today had me wondering.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:05 PM

Sucky enough commute that I couldn't even bother with therapy nachos, and kinda needed them. Forget the Dry Pool Dive Team, I had some callers today who couldn't find the pool. Then, a couple of my phone games are unable to deal with sending in-game gifts to other players. Apparently, Facebook needs to do something about this, but we know how that goes. Breaking things that are working is higher priority than fixing things.