Old 03-27-2020, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

For those who don't have it yet, Steam is having a Cities: Skylines free weekend and the base game is only six bucks for the duration.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:07 AM

I just found two really good Steam links. This first link is all games that are 100% off (free) on Steam: https://steamdb.info/sales/?min_disc...5&min_rating=0

The second link is current free weekends, and upcoming free weekends and upcoming free games: https://steamdb.info/upcoming/free/

Last edited by control-z; 03-27-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I just found two really good Steam links. This first link is all games that are 100% off (free) on Steam: https://steamdb.info/sales/?min_disc...5&min_rating=0

The second link is current free weekends, and upcoming free weekends and upcoming free games: https://steamdb.info/upcoming/free/
Good find.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:38 PM

Child of Light is free from the Ubisoft store until tomorrow:

https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=...&source=detail
Old 03-27-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
Epic is giving away games again
Again? When did they stop? They've been doing a new free 1-3 games starting on each Thursday for a long time now.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Rayman Legends is free-to-keep on Ubisoft.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:56 AM

Symmetry is being given away on GOG.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:33 AM

Imperator Rome is free for the weekend on Steam.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I've gotten lazy about posting to this thread, sorry. And I haven't been posting the epic giveaways, which are actually pretty good, but they come regularly every week and so I suggest everyone simply check epic once a week. There is, however, a free game on epic outside of the normal weekly free games which is Totally Reliable Delivery Service which looks fun.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I've gotten lazy about posting to this thread, sorry. And I haven't been posting the epic giveaways, which are actually pretty good, but they come regularly every week and so I suggest everyone simply check epic once a week. There is, however, a free game on epic outside of the normal weekly free games which is Totally Reliable Delivery Service which looks fun.
Well thanks for popping in, that looks like a riot to play with the kids!
Old 04-06-2020, 03:27 PM

Regions of Ruin is currently free on Steam
Old 04-09-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Two Sherlock Holmes games are currently free on Epic Games.

In pretty big news, looks like Just Cause 4 is going free in a few days on Epic Games. I'm grabbing that immediately.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Two Sherlock Holmes games are currently free on Epic Games.

In pretty big news, looks like Just Cause 4 is going free in a few days on Epic Games. I'm grabbing that immediately.
Note: One Sherlock Holmes game and one FPS called Close To The Sun.

My bad.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I'm really impressed that epic has managed to keep up this free game stuff as long as they have. It's kind of ridiculous, they've given away like 70 games.

I'm not sure it's all that effective a marketing strategy. I feel like by now most people would either use epic to buy stuff or they wouldn't, but I'm not sure that giving away 80 games vs 30 really changed the number of people on the platform who spend money.

(for the record, I want EGS to fail and hate their business practices, so I'm fine with people grabbing their free games, but recommend they don't actually spend anything on the epic store)

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-09-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I got that game for my Xbox as a Christmas present. Itís wacky fun, kind of like a Saints Row game without all the constant filthy jokes and visuals. I dig it.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I have an Epic account just for the free games. I've not paid them one cent...
Old 04-09-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I have an Epic account just for the free games. I've not paid them one cent...
Ditto.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I'm really impressed that epic has managed to keep up this free game stuff as long as they have. It's kind of ridiculous, they've given away like 70 games.

I'm not sure it's all that effective a marketing strategy. I feel like by now most people would either use epic to buy stuff or they wouldn't, but I'm not sure that giving away 80 games vs 30 really changed the number of people on the platform who spend money.

(for the record, I want EGS to fail and hate their business practices, so I'm fine with people grabbing their free games, but recommend they don't actually spend anything on the epic store)
The idea is to build up peoples' library of games, under the pretty reasonable theory that a big library of games is what keeps them on Steam. Logical in a way, not sure how effective it is though.

It's pretty smart in a way. However, what I would have tried to do is work out a deal with the publishers of games so that if a person already owned a particular game on Steam, they could get it for free on Epic. If Epic paid the publishers a token amount for this, they probably would have gone for it; after all, the people getting these games already own them, so they'd be getting free money from people unlikely to re-buy the same game on another platform. And it would probably do a lot more to get people to feel equally connected to their library on Epic.

That said, so far I've gathered a ton of free games that I didn't already own, and someday I might wind up installing the Epic launcher to actually use one?
Old 04-09-2020, 10:54 PM

I feel a bit guilty about it because two of my favorite games of recent months I got free on Epic: Subnautica and The Witness.

And when I got a friend hooked on subnautica, she then went and bought it and Below Zero full price...on Steam.
I guess I should throw them a bone and buy below zero on Epic, but last I checked their price was higher than Steam's.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:01 PM

see the point of giving games away free on like epic and steam and even GOG is so you'll want the premium editions upgrades and add ons.....

Its the drug dealer theory of business give away the low-cost weaker product to get you hooked then and say well this is even better and hope you line up to pay for it

this proves the point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
I feel a bit guilty about it because two of my favorite games of recent months I got free on Epic: Subnautica and The Witness.

And when I got a friend hooked on subnautica, she then went and bought it and Below Zero full price...on Steam.
I guess I should throw them a bone and buy below zero on Epic, but last I checked their price was higher than Steam's.
the 9.95 they lost on minjin they made double on his friend who got hooked .....

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-09-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
see the point of giving games away free on like epic and steam and even GOG is so you'll want the premium editions upgrades and add ons.....

Its the drug dealer theory of business give away the low-cost weaker product to get you hooked then and say well this is even better and hope you line up to pay for it

this proves the point

the 9.95 they lost on minjin they made double on his friend who got hooked .....
If the drug dealer is happy that you're addicted now, and you're paying full price to the dealer down the street, the analogy works pretty well. Otherwise, you may wanna reread that post .
Old 04-09-2020, 11:26 PM

Loss leading is an extraordinarily common business practice and there's nothing inherently skeevy about it.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:44 AM

Yeah, to clarify, neither I nor my friend have paid a cent to Epic games yet.

In fairness though, it's not just about me trying to get something for nothing. I've been at the point of thinking to buy something before, but then found the price cheaper on other platforms, and/or the platform somewhat fiddly. So the problem is not the free games, it's the other stuff.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:16 AM

well the actual creator/owner-developer of the game still gets paid no matter who the middle man is
just like a cartel...
Old 04-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Gears 5 free weekend on Steam and purchase is half off.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Assassin's Creed 2 is free to keep on Uplay.

Just Cause 4 going free soon on Epic.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
The idea is to build up peoples' library of games, under the pretty reasonable theory that a big library of games is what keeps them on Steam. Logical in a way, not sure how effective it is though.
Not only that it keeps you returning to the Epic store at least once a week.

Maybe you don't buy anything, maybe you do, but they are getting you habituated to checking it out and seeing what is there.

Personally I don't get the hate for the Epic games store. I am with them in not wanting yet another games client but where is the hate for GOG and UPlay and Origin and Blizzard? All of which have way less to offer (except GOG which is kind of a special case).

I guess some people just really, really like the bells and whistles a client like Steam gives them but personally I have never seen it. Their games you play during sales and get points are as useful as Reddit points (not at all). Reviews and stuff are nice but I can get that elsewhere. The one BIG selling point for Steam for me is the Steam Workshop for mods which is great but, if I want to mod, I can still do it with a bit more effort.

And Epic brings competition, real competition, to Steam. By giving developer/publishers a bigger cut of the pie the people making the games get more money which is good for gamers.

I even tried buying two games from them (at different times) and returned them with no fuss. One of which was beyond the stated limit to return (more than two hours play time but only barely). No problem.

Look, I would rather buy on Steam because, all else being equal, the bells and whistles are a value add, but Epic is #2 or #3 now. Who wants Origin and Blizzard and Uplay...especially Uplay...bleh.

Bottom line, if a game I want is only on Epic I will go there and get it without any fuss.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 04-14-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:49 AM

People are salty about Epic because they're buying exclusivity. People don't dislike them because they're epic, there's lots more to hate about Origin and Blizzard.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Having exclusivity does not "bring competition", it just forces you to only go to one source. If they competed by being cheaper, or by having a better service, or more features, that would benefit consumers. Having them simply say "we'll bribe you not to sell your product anywhere else" and forcing people to use their store does not "bring competition" and it is not good for users.

There's room to compete with steam by being better or cheaper. They chose instead to try to force a restriction in consumer choice. This should be punished by consumers.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:57 PM

IIRC, when Epic first announced their games service and better terms to publishers, the reacton was generally positive (as much as the internet ever is...). It was Metro:Exodus going exclusive that really started turning things around, as that was a game where people had already pre-ordered on Steam. So people paid $60 to Steam, and then later were told that they'd either have to wait a year, or cancel their Steam order and go buy it somewhere else.

Now, should the anger have been more towards the publisher who took the exclusivity money rather than the game store who offered it? Perhaps, but it was still something they probably should not have done, and it kind of kicked the door open for anyone wanting to hate on them for any other reason.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Having exclusivity does not "bring competition", it just forces you to only go to one source. If they competed by being cheaper, or by having a better service, or more features, that would benefit consumers. Having them simply say "we'll bribe you not to sell your product anywhere else" and forcing people to use their store does not "bring competition" and it is not good for users.

There's room to compete with steam by being better or cheaper. They chose instead to try to force a restriction in consumer choice. This should be punished by consumers.
They simply have to buy exclusivity.

If you were trying to sell Game-X for $50 and compete with Steam selling it for $50 you will flat out go out of business right out of the gate.

- No one wants another client.

- Steam has had 17(ish) years to refine their platform. You've had zero.

- You can try to compete on price but Steam can lower prices to match and easily outlast you...probably even selling for a bit more.

Either you accept Steam has a near monopoly on this or accept that to break into the market you need to do more than turn on a server and hope people will buy from you.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 04-16-2020, 10:28 AM

Just Cause 4 and Wheels of Aurelia now free on Epic.

And as far as 'having' to buy exclusivity, I disagree. Yes, they need to do something more than just open a new store. But that 'something' doesn't have to be exclusivity. GOG is being successful; they started out with a niche that nobody else had (good old games) and advanced into a general store that provides something that (some) customers want - DRM-free games. GOG, in fact, is my preferred place to buy games; if it is at all possible, I will buy a game there rather than Steam, and I have made the decision not to buy games at all just because they haven't been available on GOG, when they're not ones I wanted very strongly.

Epic COULD have gone in that direction or some other. The free games thing is definitely a gimmick that would have gotten me buying on Epic, IF the exclusivity thing hadn't made me refuse to ever give them money, even for games I really, really want to play. They could have made deals with the publishers to let us port our library over (something GOG does when possible, btw). There absolutely are other gimmicks and things they can offer that isn't just buying exclusivity and forcing people to get the game on their platform.

So did they need SOMETHING to overcome Steam's massive advantage? Yes. Did it have to be buying up exclusive titles? No, I don't think so.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:29 AM

Just Cause 4 and Wheels of Aurelia now free on Epic.

And as far as 'having' to buy exclusivity, I disagree. Yes, they need to do something more than just open a new store. But that 'something' doesn't have to be exclusivity. GOG is being successful; they started out with a niche that nobody else had (good old games) and advanced into a general store that provides something that (some) customers want - DRM-free games. GOG, in fact, is my preferred place to buy games; if it is at all possible, I will buy a game there rather than Steam, and I have made the decision not to buy games at all just because they haven't been available on GOG, when they're not ones I wanted very strongly.

Epic COULD have gone in that direction or some other. The free games thing is definitely a gimmick that would have gotten me buying on Epic, IF the exclusivity thing hadn't made me refuse to ever give them money, even for games I really, really want to play. They could have made deals with the publishers to let us port our library over (something GOG does when possible, btw). There absolutely are other gimmicks and things they can offer that isn't just buying exclusivity and forcing people to get the game on their platform.

So did they need SOMETHING to overcome Steam's massive advantage? Yes. Did it have to be buying up exclusive titles? No, I don't think so.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:47 AM

Gah. Damned freezing up multi-posts.

Last edited by Mnemnosyne; 04-16-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:29 PM

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime and sign up for Twitch, they're offering rotating free games. Current list is Turok HD, Earthlock, Lightmatter, Kathy Rain: A Detective is Born, and Etherborn. You can also get them by signing up for a 30 day prime trial.

I am on a family plan, meaning I can get free 2 day shipping (or used to before COVID) but don't get Prime Video through my account, only the primary. It doesn't work if you do this.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemnosyne View Post
I had hoped that Epic offering much, much better deals to the devs/publishers on the lower cut Epic took would mean lower prices on games for consumers and that would lure people in.

But that didn't happen. The devs/publishers charged the same and pocketed the difference.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:45 PM

Some more obscure offers out there right now, one is a free DLC for Cities: Skyline after you jump through a few hoops (Paradox account, link to Steam and newletter) available until the 26th of April.

Details here.

The other i came across is Namco Bandai offering Pac-Man Champion Edition 2 for free on Playstation, Xbox and Steam
Old 04-26-2020, 03:03 PM

While this is not "free" Alien Isolation is currently 95% off on Steam (selling for $2). Well worth a purchase IMO at that price.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...ien_Isolation/
Old 04-26-2020, 03:14 PM

nm

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 04-26-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:40 PM

Total War: Shogun 2 is free to keep over the next couple of days or so.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Total War: Shogun 2 is free to keep over the next couple of days or so.
TW: Shogun 2 is, by far, my favorite TW game there is (except for Warhammer which I think can be considered separately).

If you want to put them together then Shogun 2 is my second favorite TW game with some really good memories.

Either way, you can't go wrong for "free."
Old 05-01-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Man, there have been so many free games I haven't even been able to keep up lately.

ubisoft/uplay is giving away Assassins Creed 2, Rayman Legends, Child of Light.

Epic store is giving away Amnesia, The Dark Descent and Crashlands

If you have an amazon prime account (which gets you free Twitch prime), Twitch is giving away AVICII Inventor, Fractured Minds, The Little Acre, Pankapu, Snake Pass, Urban Trial Playground

Also Squad, a tactical military shooter, is having a free weekend on steam.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-01-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Evil Genius is being given away for free ("Evil Genius 2" is close to release). (You need a Steam account)

Feels a bit dated IMO but hey...free.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-06-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Evil Genius is being given away for free ("Evil Genius 2" is close to release). (You need a Steam account)

It says its $9.99. Is there a code involved?
Old 05-06-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
It says its $9.99. Is there a code involved?
The free offer is available here.

https://id.rebellion.com/promo/evil-genius-giveaway?
Old 05-06-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Cool, I had a blast with that back in the day. I agree that it's dated, I loaded it up again a few months ago and couldn't get back in to it. Glad to hear there's a second one, I'll definitely have that on my radar.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:08 PM

Showdown Bandit is currently free on Steam
Old 05-06-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
(that is the same link I provided in my post...just saying)
Old 05-06-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
(that is the same link I provided in my post...just saying)
Apologies. I guess I was trying to get it directly from Steam.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Ashes of the singularity free on humble.