Old 07-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Only a handful of guys have gone really low today. Rose, Molinari, Miyazato, Tiger.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
Bernhard Langer is a freak. He turns 61 next month and shoots a 68 on the weekend at Carnoustie in the British Open. Unbelievable.
Remember when Tom Watson almost won The Open in 2009 at age 59? Link.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Watson should have won. He missed about an eight footer on the 72nd hole for the win.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
Only a handful of guys have gone really low today. Rose, Molinari, Miyazato, Tiger.
The enjoyment has been in watching players attack the course. Carnoustie can be - usually is - brutal, so it's been fun watching guys really going for it instead of playing defensively.

Tomorrow...the wind is forecast to pick up.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane
Watson should have won. He missed about an eight footer on the 72nd hole for the win.
Yes, I remember. I think he was just exhausted.

I love seeing Spieth in it again. I started watching late and didn't see the eagle on 1 until the highlights. But I'd be happy with any of the leaders winning. And there are enough folks near the lead so that tomorrow is going to be a lot of fun!

Last edited by John Mace; 07-21-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
The enjoyment has been in watching players attack the course. Carnoustie can be - usually is - brutal, so it's been fun watching guys really going for it instead of playing defensively.
Yeah, I especially have to admire the way Rory went after it, hitting driver on so many holes.

Quote:
Tomorrow...the wind is forecast to pick up.
Which might have helped the old Tiger, but I'm not sure whether it will help him now, with his game still a bit fragile. I was hoping for the wind to kick up today after he finished, to make up for the shitty draw he got the first two days, but it didn't seem too bad.

As the only major winner ahead of Tiger, as well as the co-leader, you have to say Spieth is the favorite to win. No other big names between Tiger and Spieth, although Molinari is on a super hot streak right now, and there are plenty of big names tied with or a shot back of Tiger, including Rory, Zach, Simpson, Rose, and Scott. Fleetwood, Kuchar, and Finau all seem more than capable of winning their first major as well.

Of course I'm rooting for Tiger, but I'd give him no more than a one in five chance. He's still doing better than I thought he would this early; I was among the many who thought the PGA would be his first real chance at contending. A top ten here seems likely, and would be great progress. A solo 6th should get him into the top 50 of the rankings, which will get him into the WGC, which will be a great tuneup for the PGA.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Yeah, I especially have to admire the way Rory went after it, hitting driver on so many holes.
When Jordan gave it a huge clump off the first and reached the green at, what, 380 yards, I just laughed. There were quite a few going "this is the easiest this course is ever going to play" and so went for it today. Obviously Carnoustie even on a good day is not an easy course, and the wind did pick up later on, keeping things quite tight at the top.

Yer man Tiger played a really great round today, experience and guile, which will stand him in good stead tomorrow if it is windy.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 AM

As I write at 10:21 Central Time, Tiger is one shot back of Spieth and Schauffele for the lead. He's -2 through 8, and -7 overall. Spieth's through the 5th hole, and Eddie Pepperell (who?) is in the clubhouse at -5.

What a kick in the ass for golf it'd be to have a Tiger that's good again. Should be a fun back 9.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:26 AM

And now Tiger is tied for the lead, since Speith has fallen to -6. Whoever has the US broadcast rights must be ecstatic.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Somebody is putting golf in amongst all the commercials. What a distracting mess. This is the first golf I've watched and it does look compelling. Ill be the first to say anyone but Tiger.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
And now Tiger is tied for the lead, since Speith has fallen to -6. Whoever has the US broadcast rights must be ecstatic.
Double bogey changes that. But still, yeah, the broadcasters love it when Tiger is on the leaderboard.

I'm thinking playoff. IIRC, the Open rules are 4 holes for a playoff. The US Open is 18 holes.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I'm thinking playoff. IIRC, the Open rules are 4 holes for a playoff.

Yep, everyone goes back to the 15th tee.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:22 PM

Is it just that windy? (I'm not near a television at the moment.) Or is everybody gagging? Or both?

If it's only the wind, I hate when that happens. It's like the guys who go off in the morning vs afternoon get to play completely different courses. Beyond the usual trying to make putts on greens that 65 people before you have been tromping on.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM

That's what the weather is like on any coast that I've known; calm mornings and windy afternoons.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Is it just that windy? (I'm not near a television at the moment.) Or is everybody gagging? Or both?
It's a gentle breeze, but just enough to make the margins very tight. Plus folk are getting edgy.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

The wind is blowing at 20mph at times. 15mph right now for Molinari . I wouldn't call that a gentle breeze.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:48 PM

During the carnage, the wind was blowing about 20 mph. It's died down now to about 10 mph, and people are starting to straighten out.

Rose leading in the clubhouse at -6; Molinari leading on the course playing 15 at -7. Lots of -6 and -5 players. 16 and 17 are going to be the key holes.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Molinari was my favorite going in, just because he's been playing so well lately. And it looks like he's got a real birdie chance on 18.

It was just blowing at 19mph for him and Woods on 18.

Last edited by John Mace; 07-22-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Molinari was my favorite going in, just because he's been playing so well lately. And it looks like he's got a real birdie chance on 18.

It was just blowing at 19mph for him and Woods on 18.
He has been consistent. If he wins its well deserved.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
He has been consistent. If he wins its well deserved.
Did you see his tan line when he took his cap off? It's like someone painted his forehead white.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:44 PM

Great play by Molinari. He earned it, playing with the Tiger circus.

That last missed putt by Tiger wouldn't have affected the outcome today, but I think it also put him out of the WGC.

And I hope NBC never gets another major. The amount of commercials was ridiculous.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I don't really like the idea of showing the tournament on the side during the commercials. If there is an important shot, I want to see it full screen, with sound a minute or so late rather than small, without sound live.

Last edited by John Mace; 07-22-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I don't really like the idea of showing the tournament on the side during the commercials. If there is an important shot, I want to see it full screen, with sound a minute or so late rather than small, without sound live.
Yeah, it only takes five seconds to replay a shot if they eliminate all the pre-shot routine. I have a 55" TV and I still can't see the ball on the little inset screens.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:15 PM

I agree that the side by side coverage is poor, and needs to be re-thought.

Great job by Molinari. Phenomenal golf under the conditions and circumstances. Did anyone else finish below par from the last 10 groups?
Old 07-22-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I agree that the side by side coverage is poor, and needs to be re-thought.

Great job by Molinari. Phenomenal golf under the conditions and circumstances. Did anyone else finish below par from the last 10 groups?
Rory -1, Rose -2.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 PM

So I was out of town somewhere w/ no TV, and forgot to set the recording. Get back this p.m. and figure I can search the 4th round on demand. Found it - but when the icon to play it came on the screen, it had the banner "Molinari wins first major"!

Watched some of it nevertheless. Was astounded how many shots they DIDN'T show of the final groups, all in contention, over the last couple of holes. I'd be wondering, "How the hell did Schnauffle get it the fairway? They didn't show his drive?!"

Crazy.