Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Yes. You're missing the big nuance. The existence of this thread and my comments in it have nothing to do with what I or you or the Queen of Sheba wants to happen to people with guns but how we react to situations where people get shot. I consider that a very negative thing. You seem to revel in the fact that people get to shoot other people which I find ghoulish.
So you do react more positively to a stuation where honest citizens fear to open their doors than to one where a violent criminal is shot? People living in fear is not a negative thing? I finf your willingness for all to live in fear so that the criminal element may operate in greater safety puzzling.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:04 AM

So I guess you don't really care to understand my point of view as you keep spewing the same talking points as though I'm the one gleefully cackling at violence throughout this thread.

Let's try this ... if I'm in a car accident where I almost die but just lose my legs instead ... is that a Positive Car Story because it could have been much worse?

Or this ... we're you happy that Jihadi John was killed? Me too, but I consider that a positive story as it relates to justice not a Positive Drone Story. I mean where are the Positive Golf Club Story threads? Or the Positive Baseball Bat Story threads? It's almost like this thread exists for the sole purpose of worshipping guns.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:10 AM

I would like to understand your point of view, but you aren't making it clear. "No one gets shot" doesn't strike me as a universal, unconditional good.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:14 AM

It's almost like you haven't read anything else I wrote since that post that you keep quoting as though I've embroidered it on my family crest. If I were a cynical sort I would suspect you of willingly ignoring my point. Good thing I'm such a sunny presence in this world or I'd begin to get a little perturbed.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 AM

I have read everything you've written in this thread. After screening out all the anger and sarcasm, there isn't much left. Certainly nothing that clarifies what your point of view actually is. Let's try this: Summarize your point as briefly and simply as possible in neutral language.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
I have read everything you've written in this thread. After screening out all the anger and sarcasm, there isn't much left. Certainly nothing that clarifies what your point of view actually is. Let's try this: Summarize your point as briefly and simply as possible in neutral language.
Speaking for myself, a story like this is about as positive as it gets:

Road-raging Mercedes driver shoots himself in the leg while waving rifle and handgun at Florida family
Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"No one gets shot" doesn't strike me as a universal, unconditional good.
What does, then? Explain.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:42 AM

Sorry Scumpup. I've been as clear as I need to be. You're just ignoring the points I'm making (which go beyond "guns bad," to your chagrin, apparently).

Anybody else digging my jive or do I really have continue this foolishness?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry Scumpup. I've been as clear as I need to be. You're just ignoring the points I'm making (which go beyond "guns bad," to your chagrin, apparently).

Anybody else digging my jive or do I really have continue this foolishness?
Whatever. If you can't make your point clear, you don't really have a point beyond being angry.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:16 PM

It's not my fault your critical thinking skills are lacking. I guess I'll join you in that cup of whatever and just look forward to the next celebratory story of someone bleeding out I suppose.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
"No one gets shot" doesn't strike me as a universal, unconditional good.
Yes, I'm always very sad when no one gets shot. Ruins my day. Not good at all.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
It's not my fault your critical thinking skills are lacking. I guess I'll join you in that cup of whatever and just look forward to the next celebratory story of someone bleeding out I suppose.
As one of my university professors once noted, it is the responsibility of the speaker to make himself clear. If the audience comes away not getting the speaker's point, the fault is in the speaker rather than the audience. Note I said getting, not agreeing with. Your anger and sarcasm, in and of themselves, tell me nothing but that you are an angry and sarcastic person no matter how much you think they clarify what you want to say. You think I have poor critical thinking skills. I am certain you communicate poorly. That, I think, is where things will stay.

Last edited by Scumpup; 11-17-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
In other words (I don't know why this isn't sinking in) ...no one getting shot is always preferable to someone getting shot. And I find the celebration of someone getting shot - whoever the fuck it is and whatever the fuck they did - to be incredibly ghoulish.
First – this isn’t a celebration of someone getting shot – it’s a recognition of the existence of incidents of self defense with a firearm. Second, if you think what you are reading is ghoulish and you want to avoid ghoulishness, then perhaps this is the wrong thread for you since it's kind of in the thread title. Just saying.

Quote:
Or this ... we're you happy that Jihadi John was killed? Me too, but I consider that a positive story as it relates to justice not a Positive Drone Story. I mean where are the Positive Golf Club Story threads? Or the Positive Baseball Bat Story threads? It's almost like this thread exists for the sole purpose of worshipping guns.
If you want to start a thread about positive stories in other areas, drones, golf clubs, baseball, or even abortion as you mentioned previously, no one is stopping you if that’s your area of interest. Do you think the fact that these other threads don’t exist, or that you haven’t started them, is in some way informative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Speaking for myself, a story like this is about as positive as it gets:

Road-raging Mercedes driver shoots himself in the leg while waving rifle and handgun at Florida family
I take it you do not subscribe to Jack Batty’s position that no one getting shot is always preferable to someone getting shot? I’m glad this incident didn’t result in additional injuries, and I’m not going to fret about people engaging in criminal behavior getting hurt in their endeavors. But unless you’re rooting for people getting hurt then I wouldn’t see how this is positive gun news. No gun was used in a positive way. Are you rooting for people to get hurt?

In other news, Robbery suspect enters business, leaves after victim wields gun: LMPD
Quote:
LMPD said Kenneth Graves entered the business and displayed a handgun and demanded cash. The victim pulled a gun and Graves apologized and fled without receiving any proceeds, according to the police report.

Graves was arrested and was even wearing the same clothing he had on during the robbery.
Another DGU with no shots fired.

Last edited by Bone; 11-17-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
But unless you’re rooting for people getting hurt then I wouldn’t see how this is positive gun news. No gun was used in a positive way. Are you rooting for people to get hurt?
Why yes; yes I am. So long as it is an asshole gun owner getting blowed up real good, that is real good news. Kind of like high-fiving when a castle-dweller exercises his second amendment prerogative and sends the minority of the week over Rainbow Bridge.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
So I guess you don't really care to understand my point of view as you keep spewing the same talking points as though I'm the one gleefully cackling at violence throughout this thread.

Let's try this ... if I'm in a car accident where I almost die but just lose my legs instead ... is that a Positive Car Story because it could have been much worse?

Where are the negative drone stories, the negative golf club stories, the negative baseball bat stories? Where are all the efforts, media wise, Congress wise and presidential wise, to lobby against them, turn public opinion against them, attempt over and over to restrict (and let's be honest, eventually eliminate) them?

It seems to me this thread is simply a counterpoint to all the negative gun stories the media loves to publicize and Democrat politicians love to use to push for gun control/elimination. Surely if there can be negative gun news then there can be positive gun news.

So the positive aspects of this thread are the opposite of those in the negative threads and in the news. Instead of bad guys shooting innocent people (negative gun news) we have innocent people shooting bad guys (positive gun news).

A second aspect to the thread is that similar to your sense of justice having been done when Jihadi John was killed, these of us on the positive gun news side are pleased when justice is done and those who threaten the lives of innocent people get what's coming to them too. What you are doing is conflating these two different aspects into one and thinking we on the pro gun side are simply happy that someone, anyone, is getting shot, and that's ridiculous. What we are, is happy on the one hand that gun ownership is allowing innocent people to defend themselves against people who would do them terrible harm (or who at least threaten to do so), and on the other hand we're happy when bad guys get what's coming to them. They are really two separate issues even though they're arrived at the same way.

And frankly, yet another element to the glee you perceive when a bad guy gets shot is that it's a poke in the eye to those who would take away our ability to use guns to defend ourselves. People like Fear Itself, for example, who evidently considers everyone who owns a gun to be an asshole whose murder at the hands of killers is something to be celebrated. You can hardly blame us for the joy and satisfaction we get from frustrating and thwarting the likes of him.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 AM

I'd really like to a address Bone's and Starv's points but according to Scumpup ' college professor they really have no idea what I'm trying to say.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:12 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
People like Fear Itself, for example, who evidently considers everyone who owns a gun to be an asshole whose murder at the hands of killers is something to be celebrated.
I celebrate when the fraction of gun owners who try to intimidate people to compensate for their own social inferiority blow themselves away. So stop deliberately misquoting me.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I'd really like to a address Bone's and Starv's points but according to Scumpup ' college professor they really have no idea what I'm trying to say.
Do you really think you are being perfectly clear and it is everybody else's fault for not understanding you? I have another data point to support that you are angry and sarcastic, but I am still no closer to understanding your POV. If you can't, or won't, clarify what it is that you have to say, why do you even participate? This isn't The Pit where anger and sarcasm can serve as goals in themelves. I, for one, would genuinely like to know what your point is. The same professor taught me that I should be able to clearly and accurately state an opponent's position in any discussion. 1982 was a long time ago, but I think his advice still valid. Right now, I can't state your position because I don't understand what you are trying to say. Further, I don't think you could accurately state my position either.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Horse, water.

Successful communication requires a receptive audience.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Scumpup ... both Bone and Starv managed to rebut me with halfway cogent points that I'm willing to let stand on their own merits. If you can't do the same then that's on you, not me or your old professors.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 11-18-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Bonner County man dead after domestic incident
Quote:
A man is dead after a woman shot him in what appears to be self-defense, according to the Bonner County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies were called to the home in the 4800 block of Spirit Lake Cutoff Road around 11 p.m. Tuesday. A woman and her three of children fled the home during a “lethal altercation,” said Chief Deputy David Hale.

Early information indicates that the man had assaulted the woman, who then shot him, Hale said.
Force multiplier leveling the power imbalance.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Scumpup ... both Bone and Starv managed to rebut me with halfway cogent points that I'm willing to let stand on their own merits. If you can't do the same then that's on you, not me or your old professors.
Your point, whatever it is, can't be worth dealing with your personality. I'm not sure at this point if there is any more to it than you just enjoy being angry. For certain, I no longer care.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:50 AM

Fabulous. We finally agree on something. Neither one of us cares what the other has to say. But you need to stop projecting your own anger onto me. I'm not angry, just confused at the revelry.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Force multiplier leveling the power imbalance.
Only one person is left to tell the story their way. Obviously that works for you.

Meanwhile, somebody is dead. Yay.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, SAPD: Homeowner blasts burglar with shotgun
Quote:
San Antonio Police said the two unnamed suspects broke into a man's home in the 500 block of Cumberland Road. He met his intruders with a shotgun.

Investigators said the man hit one of the suspect's over the head with a shotgun, then shot the other suspect after he claimed he had a gun.

Police said both suspects escaped on foot, but were picked up by family members and taken to a local hospital. One man was being treated at the Children's Hospital of San Antonio for a head injury from the victim's shotgun. The other suspect was taken to SAMMC with a shotgun wound.
I typically wouldn't recommend a shotgun for indoor work since it has some size limitations that could give an attacker leverage. And I definitely wouldn't recommend using the buttstock as a blunt object since shotguns typically are not drop safe and the impact has the potential for bad results. Sometimes you make due with what you have.

Last edited by Bone; 11-19-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Man yelling ‘KCPD’ breaks into house, but flees when resident shoots at him:
Quote:
According to the police report, the victim told officers he heard the front window of his house shatter. He told them he went to check it and saw a man standing outside the window. The resident says he opened the front door and the suspect pointed a gun at him. The victim says he closed and locked the door and the suspect began trying to kick in the front door, yelling ‘KCPD.’

When the suspect got through the door, the resident says he retrieved his firearm and fired at the suspect, who ran off. The resident was unsure if he shot the suspect.
To think criminals wont impersonate police is shortsighted. This is one of my main objections to no-knock warrants.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Reseda home invasion fails as ‘victim’ shoots at robber

Quote:
Officers were dispatched at 12:05 a.m. to the 6600 block of Silvia Avenue, in response to a “burglary/hot prowl” call, Chambers said.

The victim was sleeping in his bedroom when he heard suspicious sounds coming from the kitchen/rear door area and armed himself with a handgun. He then heard “cracking sounds,” as if a door was opening, he said.

The homeowner then went to his kitchen, where he was about three feet from the suspect. He fired one to two shots at the suspect, who fled, the police lieutenant said.
It's a good exercise to practice clearing your house and knowing lines of sight and where people can be encountered. DGU with no dead bodies.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, CCPD: Man arrested on burglary charge in shooting:
Quote:
Officers responded to a disturbance call about 7:24 p.m. Friday and found a 22-year-old woman had been shot, Senior Officer Marc Harrod said.

Harrod said a 23-year-old woman told officers that the shooting happened after the 22-year-old woman and a 25-year-old man showed up at her apartment, located in the 5500 block of Saratoga Boulevard.

The 23-year-old woman told officers that the woman at her door told her she was her boyfriend's ex-girlfriend and was there to pick up her things. Harrod said the woman went to make a call to check with her boyfriend, and while she was on the phone the woman and the man began to assault her.

"When the two people went in the house, they beat her up," Lee said. "You could hear everything. The door was wide-open."

The 23-year-old woman grabbed the gun and fatally shot the other woman in the head, Harrod said. The woman was taken in for questioning, and police incorrectly announced Friday that she had been arrested on suspicion of murder. Harrod said that after questioning police determined that she acted in self-defense, and she was released Friday and it is likely that she won't be charged with a crime.
I couldn't tell from the article, but it seems like the resident let the two people enter while she called to verify their identity. Again, I wouldn't advise opening the door to strangers.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:47 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Homeowner Fights Back, Shoots Three Suspected Robbers
Quote:
According to police, three men went into a home on the 6900 block of Rolling Creek Lane and attacked the homeowner. They said one of the men stole something from his house during the struggle before the homeowner grabbed a gun.

Neighbors reported hearing five gun shots. Police said that bullets hit all three suspected robbers. They said the suspects jumped into a Silver Dodge Avenger driven by a fourth man, and that the suspects stopped at an intersection by nearby Duncanville High School.

The three men who suffered gunshot wounds were arrested and taken to the hospital.
3 vs 1 and all three shot. I wonder if the homeowner was carrying on his person at the time - probably not.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:10 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Birmingham man shot after allegedly beating wife, flees to middle school for help
After a wife flees from her abusive husband:
Quote:
The wife said she saw people outside one of the houses and stopped to ask for help.The husband drove by and saw her, circled the block a few times then got out to confront his wife.

Edwards said the homeowner intervened and asked the man to get off his property.

The husband allegedly refused, looked into his car's trunk, got a brick off the ground instead and advanced toward his wife and the homeowner. He was shouting threats while moving toward them, Edwards said.

"The homeowner shoots the husband in the arm and the husband retreats for a short second, but the husband becomes more agitated and advances again toward the homeowner and his wife," Edwards said.

The homeowner then shot the husband a second time. This time he hit him in the stomach.

The husband fled on foot and ended up outside Green Acres Middle School several blocks away.
Again, bricks - a poorly conceived plan.

Last edited by Bone; 11-26-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Again, bricks - a poorly conceived plan.
Brick vs gun is a bad idea anyway, but anyone who continues this strategy after already being shot once is clearly not one of nature's great thinkers.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:01 AM

Shoot me once, shame on me, shoot me twice, wtf was I even thinking.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Shoot me once, shame on me, shoot me twice, wtf was I even thinking.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Have you ever had a loaded gun pointed at you by someone who is desperate, possibly having mental problems, and possibly high on some illegal substance? An incident that could end your life in the blink of an eye. No matter your ideologies on gun control or lack of it, I'm pretty sure that the employees of that Waffle House and their mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers were pretty happy that armed citizen happened to be there. Yes it is a terrible shame that the whole episode had to happen. But I feel that the perpetrator brought this on himself by making a bad career choice.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Have you ever had a loaded gun pointed at you by someone who is desperate, possibly having mental problems, and possibly high on some illegal substance?
Probably not all three, but then, he was a policeman so you never know.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, BCPD: Man shoots would-be Craigslist robbers
Quote:
According to the Battle Creek Police Department, 42-year-old Jon Vanderwiel and 72-year-old Robert Vanderwiel of Grand Rapids drove to Battle Creek Tuesday evening after arranging on Craigslist to buy a car. Around 8 p.m., the Vanderwiel’s arrived at the meeting place — which turned out to be an abandoned home in the 600 block of Linwood Avenue — and were jumped by three men, police said.

Officers said Jon Vanderwiel is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, which he drew and fired twice.

Two of the attackers were shot, at which point they ran away. One sustained a wound to the upper torso and was found about a block away near Woodlawn Avenue. The other was shot in the lower torso and was found in the 100 block of Broadway Boulevard.
3 vs. 2, and only one of the two was armed. Two shots, two hits. The idea that a situation with multiple assailants wouldn't happen is not something I'd rely on.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:06 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Suspect Arrested After Allegedly Attacking Elderly Man
Quote:
According to Walton County Sheriff's Officials, Justin Paul Carter entered the home of Michael and Margaret Frey on September 19. Carter asked to speak to Margaret alone, but sheriff's deputies say Carter became angry when Michael told him no.

When Margaret went outside to call 911, sheriff's officials say Carter began to attack Michael, hitting him in the face and pounding his head into a cabinet. That's when Michael Frey shot Carter in the mouth with a .38 caliber pistol, believing his life was in danger
I can't tell the age of the attacker, but he is clearly an adult. My guess would be between 30-40. Him vs. an elderly 74 year old. From the picture, it's clear the gun was the equalizer.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:52 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Armed citizen scares off attempted robber in Hermitage:
Quote:
Police told News 2 the woman was meeting a man who owed her money. When the man arrived with a friend, he reportedly told her he had a gun and ordered her to withdraw money from the ATM.

An armed citizen in the area heard the woman’s screams for help and was able to scare the suspects away.

The suspects ran to a car parked at a nearby gas station and drove away.
Another DGU with no shots fired.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:59 AM

Craigslist: In the news again.

Woman shoots and kills would-be Craigslist robber
Quote:
Investigators say the would-be robbers pulled out a gun and demanded money when they met the couple at an Aiken gas station where they planned to buy a car listed on the Internet site.

Deputies say while the gun was pointed at the man, his girlfriend pulled her own weapon and shot at the robbers.
DGU +1, Criminal -1.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Sheriff: Woman pulls gun on ex-boyfriend to defend herself
Quote:
The Gonzales Police Department helped the victim with applying for a temporary restraining order against Beaureau. Officials say Beaureau has been previously arrested on a number of charges, including simple battery, domestic abuse battery and possession of marijuana.

On Wednesday, September 30, while sitting in her car near the courthouse parking lot, Beaureau blocked the victim in with his truck and threatened her. While on the phone with 911, the victim pulled out her handgun and told Beaureau she would fire if he stepped any closer.

Beaureau was arrested on September 30 by the Gonzales Police Department and charged with improper telephone communications, stalking, and threatening a police officer. He also had a bench warrant for his arrest for failure to appear in court.
Another DGU with no shots fired. Good thing that restraining order worked so well!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Police: Overbrook woman shoots intruder overnight

Quote:
Police Chief Terry Hollingsworth said, shortly after 12:30 a.m., Osage 911 received two calls within minutes. The first was from the resident who told them she shot someone who broke into her home.

Five minutes later, 48-year-old Bruce Jolly reportedly called 911 and said he had been shot and was at a neighbor's house. Emergency crews took him to Stormont-Vail Hospital.
Victim calls 911, then attacker calls 911 because he was shot. Nice.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Man arrested after being shot during home invasion

Quote:
He did let us take video inside his home showing the window the suspect broke to get inside.

He told us he was sleeping on the couch when he heard a loud crash. The details were blurry, but he says they locked eyes before he fired one shot and hit the suspect.

The victim says he has never experienced anything like this, but has owned a gun for personal protection for years.
I wonder if he was carrying on his person at the time.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Reserve woman shoots man in her garage, St. John Sheriff’s Office says

Quote:
A Reserve woman shot a man Friday morning because she said she felt threatened when he approached and grabbed her as she opened the trunk of her car in the garage at her home, according to the St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office.

The 24-year-old woman has not been arrested or charged in the incident, which took place about 12:35 a.m. in the 100 block of Rosenwald Street, the Sheriff’s Office said.

The woman shot the 45-year-old man, who lives down the street from her, in the upper right chest, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Neither one’s name has been released.

Emergency Medical Services transported the man to a hospital, where he was in stable condition, the Sheriff’s Office said.
Reserve is the name of the census tract in this case, which was confusing to me at first. Surprising people in their home late at night is not a good idea.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Armed robbery and shooting at North Charleston Waffle House
Quote:
Just before 5:00 am Saturday, North Charleston police officers responded to the Waffle House at 6907 Dorchester Road in reference to an armed robbery and shots fired.

When police arrived, officers found the business was robbed, and Davis was shot during the incident.

A preliminary investigation revealed that a customer shot Davis who was armed.
Another incident at a Waffle House.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
In other news, Armed robbery and shooting at North Charleston Waffle House

Another incident at a Waffle House.
That's literally the same shooting that you started this thread with in October.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
That's literally the same shooting that you started this thread with in October.
Ahh you are right. Must have overlapped my reading. I will endeavor to do better.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Extrajudicial

In light of the earlier dupe, here is a different story. In other news, ROBBERY VICTIM SHOOTS, KILLS SUSPECT IN NORTH HARRIS COUNTY
Quote:
One person is dead and another is injured after they allegedly attempted to rob a man carrying a concealed handgun early this morning.

The suspects approached the man with a gun as he was walking on the 600 block Cypress Station Drive around 1am.

That's when deputies say the man surprised the would-be robbers by pulling his own handgun. He fired the gun at both suspects, killing one of them.
While this is also in Harris County in Houston, TX, it's not the same event in Houston identified in post 102 and 125. With so many they do tend to blur. With this one, 2vs1 and ends up with the two attackers shot and the victim unhurt.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
People are robbed, raped, tortured and killed every day by violent criminals
raised in impoverished, high-crime neighborhood inadequately protected by often-racist cops, criminals who face a hard time finding opportunities due to deeply-entrenched institutional racism, and conservatives
Quote:
couldn't care less. Instead they continue to lobby as hard as they can for
a reduced social safety net and against restrictions on gun ownership and in favor of draconian measures for felons that encourage criminals to return to crime once their sentence is through,
Quote:
which creates even more victims and then get all het up over
Black Lives Matter activists' frustration with the current unjust system.
Quote:
Go figure.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

As for this thread, Bone, I find it to be a strange mishmash. You've got stories that seem pretty clearly indicative that the presence of a gun made things less bad. But other stories are in the "Gun tragedy barely averted" category, stories where one less gun in the situation would have made the situation much better.

If someone with a gun attacks a martial artist, and the martial artist disarms the attacker, how is that a positive gun story? Wouldn't everything in that situation have been better if the single gun in the story hadn't been there? It's as if I, trying to persuade folks that marijuana is positive, quote a story in which a stoned driver almost crashes into a pedestrian, but the pedestrian leaps out of the way. Positive pot story!
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
As for this thread, Bone, I find it to be a strange mishmash. You've got stories that seem pretty clearly indicative that the presence of a gun made things less bad. But other stories are in the "Gun tragedy barely averted" category, stories where one less gun in the situation would have made the situation much better.

If someone with a gun attacks a martial artist, and the martial artist disarms the attacker, how is that a positive gun story? Wouldn't everything in that situation have been better if the single gun in the story hadn't been there? It's as if I, trying to persuade folks that marijuana is positive, quote a story in which a stoned driver almost crashes into a pedestrian, but the pedestrian leaps out of the way. Positive pot story!
Those types of stories are to illustrate instances when criminals are disarmed and their own gun used against them. In my anecdotal experience, I find this happens much more than when criminals are able to disarm their victims and use the victim gun against them. The latter is a common refrain among gun control supporters so I include those types of stories as a counter.