Old 10-01-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Colt has announced they will stop manufacturing AR-15s due to falling sales
https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...-of-ar-15s/amp
They're making them still; they're just fulfilling only military and LE contracts. Not that it matters much, but it is a deceptive headline.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Further, how does Dallas PD know that the holes in the alleged burglar came from the homeowner's weapon? Ballistics? Big blood trail from old guy's shed to the place where the body was discovered?
Sorta spit-ballin' here, but if you tell the cops you shot at a guy behind your house and there's a guy behind your house with bullet holes in him, they're going to think it was your bullet what killed 'em, and not some random bullet from someone else.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Under Oregon's red flag law, the FBI took a guy's guns away and put him in twenty days involuntary mental health evaluation after he threatened to shoot up antifa protesters.
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...guns-away.html
Good. He made a threat, they took it serous. Good.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It would be even better news if he never had access to tools of mass murder, and didn't have to be stopped just barely in time.

That's exactly the kind of Good Guy we're constantly being told would make a great school guardian.
This. Crazy bastards should NOT have access to guns. period.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:21 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Florida man shot and killed son-in-law in case of mistaken identity, sheriff says.

Quote:
A Florida man will not face charges after authorities said he accidentally shot and killed his son-in-law who had just flown to the U.S. from Norway as a birthday surprise.

The tragic case of mistaken identity occurred around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday at a home in Gulf Breeze, said Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson at a Thursday press conference.

Johnson said that Richard Dennis, 61, of Gulf Breeze shot and killed 37-year-old Christopher Bergan, who was married to Dennis' daughter. Bergan had flown from Norway to Florida to surprise his father-in-law for his birthday, the sheriff said.
Damn, don't disturb dear dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the link above
Earlier that evening, Dennis and another relative got into an argument after the relative came by the home and banged on the front door, according to police.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:42 AM

Is that mistaken identity? If so, who did he mistakenly think he was shooting? I doubt he established any identity. If you say he thought he was shooting at an intruder then he didn't establish any identity at all.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:44 AM

I've not clicked this thread for a while. Much excitement!!

But don't several of these posts belong in the Positive Guns give me a Hard-On thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
And that was my first thought too. I don't know whether it was really an accident or not, but that does set an interesting precedent that you can openly kill someone and only get charged with a first degree misdemeanor if you use a gun.

Hard to claim it was an accident when it is a knife.
Great minds think alike! I wondered if this were it. What was the misdemeanor for? Borrowing a toy without permission? If playing with a gun is a way to avoid a murder rap for someone who deserved killing, shouldn't this be in the Good Gun News thread?

Quote:
Under Oregon's red flag law, the FBI took a guy's guns away and put him in twenty days involuntary mental health evaluation after he threatened to shoot up antifa protesters.
That's Oregon. In Alerbammer or South Calinkey he'd have been offered a medal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand???
Right. If Yahweh had wanted to exclude lunatics he would have mentioned that when he wrote the Second Amendment atop Mt. Sinai, wouldn't he have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
More news from Texas, where they obviously need no gun regulations:
Man accidentally shoots himself in groin at gun club in Guadalupe County
Again, this should be in the Good News thread. Assuming both testicles were damaged, his own gun will stop him from spawning more gun nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmlabs View Post
... Dallas man accused of fatally shooting burglar and going back to bed before calling 911 ...

Shoot at somebody ... then go back to bed for a couple hours before calling the cops? What the living f*ck?!?
More good news ... for insomniacs like me. Next time I'm having trouble sleeping, I'll just kill someone with a gun.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Is that mistaken identity? If so, who did he mistakenly think he was shooting? I doubt he established any identity. If you say he thought he was shooting at an intruder then he didn't establish any identity at all.
He was there from Norway to surprise his father in law for his birthday. He jumped out of the bushes and his father in law immediately shot him.

This is what happens with trigger happy idiots. Why did he go to the door with a gun ready? If he thought it was the man from earlier, and felt that that man was a threat, why not just make sure the door is locked and call the police? He could always shoot him if he broke in.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
It amazes me that it's not even a matter of criminal negligence. The doorbell ringer could've been the UPS guy or a Census taker, or Jane Wiedlin.

You can't just go about gunning down people on your doorstep because you had an argument. Well, I guess in Florida you can.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Lethal shootings are justified in many states if you're afraid of bodily harm.
And many of these gun nuts are cowards who seem constantly afraid.
It's surprising they ever get a murder conviction!
Old 10-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Of course they are constantly afraid. I have a family member who proudly told me "I have a gun within 3 feet of me no matter where I am in my house!"

I asked him "Holy crap, man, are you that afraid all the time?"

He didn't have an answer.

There are actual people who refuse to vacation anywhere they can't take their guns. Must suck to be that afraid all the time.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
...The doorbell ringer could've been the UPS guy or a Census taker, or Jane Wiedlin. ...
"That's just Jane Wiedlin ringin and runnin again. Don't answer it. AND DON"T SHOOT HER!"
Old 10-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
You can't just go about gunning down people on your doorstep because you had an argument. Well, I guess in Florida you can.
It's called Stand Your Ground.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Stand your ground while your urine dribbles down your leg.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Like I've said before, the people who insist on being constantly armed are often the last people who should be.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:26 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Stand your ground while your urine dribbles down your leg.

I think it's probably another substance. And I don't mean feces.

Last edited by Monty; 10-04-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Oklahoma woman apparently shot by dog
Quote:
In the 911 call, which oscillates, at times, from absurd to comical, Springer’s charge, driver Brent Parks, attempts to explain the emergency to a dispatcher.

"She’s bleeding pretty bad,” Parks, 79, can be heard saying on the released call. “A gun went off and got her in the leg!”

When the dispatcher asks how Springer was shot, Parks blurts out, “Well, it just went off. . . . We have a dog in here and it (inaudible) the gun.”

The incredulous emergency official can be heard asking, “The dog shot her?” to which Parks replied, “Yeah.”
Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, that's the ticket. The dog did it.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:20 PM

So many options on where to post this, but this seems good:

North Dakota Trump supporter in pickup pulls gun on woman with a Warren bumper sticker. His passenger confirms it. Arrested. Charged with felonies.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

A San Antonio man bought an AR-15 for his 14-year-old grandson, who then shot his 13-year-old friend in the head.

https://amp.ksat.com/news/bcso-makes...mpression=true
Old 10-12-2019, 11:41 AM

A Kansas 13-year-old was charged with a felony for pointing a finger gun at her classmates

Channeling the brevity of Rick Kitchen...

https://www.businessinsider.com/girl...edium=referral
Old 10-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Was it specifically an assault finger?
Old 10-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Probably. A scary black one.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeweyLogan View Post
Channeling the brevity of Rick Kitchen...

https://www.businessinsider.com/girl...edium=referral
That's definitely a problem that has been created by gun enthusiasts.

It was more than just pointing a "finger gun", it wasn't just while playing a game. There were threats of violence given by her towards other students.

In a sane world, we could do a home welfare check, make sure that the threats that she was making were not serious, and possibly remove any guns she may have easy access to to prevent her from carrying through.

In this world, you cannot take any steps to prevent their access to guns without actually using the criminal system. In order to make sure she can't bring a real gun to school and carry out the threat, you have to arrest her and charge her.

It would be far better to deal with such a situation more delicately and quietly, but, due to the stance taken by pro-gun extremists, those options are off the table.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:24 AM

How to check a laser pointer on a gun.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
One the one hand, he was a fucking idiot.
On the other hand there was a hole.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I like how his buddy was more concerned about the gun then his friend who got shot. Although preventing the gun from falling on the floor and firing again may have been a good thing.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeweyLogan View Post

A Kansas 13-year-old was charged with a felony for pointing a finger gun at her classmates
An interesting tidbit in the story — which may serve as a metaphor for the absurdity of American gun culture — is that under-age students at a neighboring school had been charged with misdemeanors for bringing guns to schools. I'll guess there's more legal nuance, but according to the reporter, those kids could not be charged with felonies because the guns were not misused. The kid who used her fingers instead of a real gun was charged with a felony.

(Should this be in the Positive Guns thread? Possession of guns, even though illegal, led to reduced charges compared with the wielder of a finger gun.)

Last edited by septimus; 10-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:40 PM

Uber driver in Florida (of course) accidentally shoots his passenger in the leg while moving his gun.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Uber driver in Florida (of course) accidentally shoots his passenger in the leg while moving his gun.
and, there goes the tip.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Actually shoot somebody in the leg - misdemeanor

Point your finger at someone - felony

Seems legit.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Seems legit.
She knew what she signed up for.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 PM

Perhaps they should add "Request driver that doesn't carry a gun" option to the Uber app?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Perhaps they should add "Request driver that doesn't carry a gun" option to the Uber app?
While I get that this is a joke - and while this may be antithetical to this thread's ethos - actively advertising that a driver is unarmed would be a bad idea.

Not that I think Uber drivers should be armed as a matter of course, but there's a difference between being unarmed and going out of one's way to announce it.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
The dog will get off because prior to this he's been such a good boy.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
While I get that this is a joke - and while this may be antithetical to this thread's ethos - actively advertising that a driver is unarmed would be a bad idea.

Not that I think Uber drivers should be armed as a matter of course, but there's a difference between being unarmed and going out of one's way to announce it.
Is America really that dangerous and lawless that the only way to be safe is to let people believe you are carrying a gun?
If that’s truely the case, then fuck me, I’d better shelve any idea of ever travelling there.

Last edited by bengangmo; 10-24-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
Is America really that dangerous and lawless that the only way to be safe is to let people believe you are carrying a gun?
If that’s truely the case, then fuck me, I’d better shelve any idea of ever travelling there.
For certain professions - and taxi driving is one of them - yes, being armed (or making people think you are) is an unfortunate necessity. You're in a one-on-one situation with potentially no witnesses and no knowledge of the person who just got into your car, if you're a regular cab driver you're likely carrying (or can be assumed to be carrying) a reasonable amount of cash, and you're going to be asking the stranger for cash at the end of the journey. There are a lot of risk factors there.

In a country where crazy people don't have easy access to guns this would not be an issue (or as much of one), but this is America we're talking about.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Uber Firearms Prohibition Policy

Quote:
Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a safe and reliable ride. That's why Uber prohibits riders and their guests, as well as driver and delivery partners, from carrying firearms of any kind while using our app*

Anyone who violates this policy may lose access to Uber.

*To the extent permitted by applicable law.
Of course, their only enforcement option is to block the driver or rider from using the service once they are made aware that someone was carrying. They have no real authority to regulate anything but their bowel movements.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:29 PM

Thanks! I've never used Uber, so I didn't know that policy. Plus, I guess they DO advertise the fact that their drivers don't carry guns on them.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:53 AM

FTR I was unaware of that policy as well.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Dallas police officer shoots his son after mistaking him for an intruder.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:21 PM

"...an off-duty Dallas officer who mistook his son for an intruder and accidentally shot him,..."

No, this was not an "accident". Everything went exactly as planned. The off duty officer pointed a gun at someone without identifying him. He then shot a person, without knowing who this person was, or what this person's intent was.

Not an accident. This is a deliberate shooting, with negligence.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:38 PM

Maybe his son was there to rob him for drug money? If so, this should go in the "Positive Gun News" thread.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:16 AM

I suspect it was an accident. I think he was doing something stupid and 'accidentally shooting his son' did not sound quite as stupid and irresponsible as the truth.

-God
Old 10-29-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nah, I’ve spent decades in different parts of the US with no need to carry even at 2am in Baltimore.

However, as mentioned, some people may feel their circumstances make it prudent e.g. traditional cabbies (a putative advantage of Uber is the no cash model). Of course it behooves any armed person to keep and use it safely.

Quote:
Uber Firearms Prohibition Policy

Of course, their only enforcement option is to block the driver or rider from using the service once they are made aware that someone was carrying. They have no real authority to regulate anything but their bowel movements.

I notice the “applicable law” provision, which is their way to acknowledge that in some jurisdictions the Law says you may/can carry freely and in others not so. As a driver you’re an independent contractor in your own vehicle, so if the law allows it and you carry and handle in such a manner that you DON’T have mishaps (or if as a user you take your ride and move along with no mishaps and do not leave the gun behind) then there would be no way for Uber to know.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Or, even worse, I think at least SOME of them are murderers, and the "I wuz scared" dodge is just a lie to cover it up.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
So many options on where to post this, but this seems good:

North Dakota Trump supporter in pickup pulls gun on woman with a Warren bumper sticker. His passenger confirms it. Arrested. Charged with felonies.
yup, "The Base".
Old 10-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Actually no, it is NOT that bad. But we do have some paranoids, cowards, and right wing crazies who do live in that imaginary world.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Letting people know that you have a gun will not necessarily deter a person with a gun. It may cause them to shoot you in self defence or cause them to try to mate with you in gun fetish fellowship.

For example, when my friends and I were held at gunpoint by a toddler, the toddler did not have the mental capacity to care one way or the other as to whether we were armed (we were not -- we were starkers). I leave it to the dear reader to consider how many gun owners even have the mental ability and emotional stability of a toddler.

Last edited by Muffin; 10-30-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Seems legit.
Fucking crazy, if you ask me.