Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I don't know the real name, but I call them The Paramount Back-lot Mountain Range. Star Trek: TOS fans will instantly know what I mean.
The "backlot" I get tired of seeing is the hills where they filmed outdoor scenes for M*A*S*H, which I presume to be the Fox backlot.

There are an astonishing number of places in the universe that look like South Korea.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
The "backlot" I get tired of seeing is the hills where they filmed outdoor scenes for M*A*S*H, which I presume to be the Fox backlot.

There are an astonishing number of places in the universe that look like South Korea.
It was Malibu State Park. I don't think there are any fixed structures surviving, but it's instantly recognizable if you're at the right place in the park.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:36 PM

Combat! was filmed on the MGM lot. I never noticed it back in 1962--67, but every damned town in France looked exactly the same because they used the same set every week. Another thing I never noticed between second and sixth grade was that on occasion, you could see traffic going by in the background on the road that ran along one side of the lot.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Combat! was filmed on the MGM lot. I never noticed it back in 1962--67, but every damned town in France looked exactly the same because they used the same set every week. Another thing I never noticed between second and sixth grade was that on occasion, you could see traffic going by in the background on the road that ran along one side of the lot.
I grew up in Culver City, and when I was a kid you could hear gunfire from the Combat set (backlot) from my house.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
It was Malibu State Park. I don't think there are any fixed structures surviving, but it's instantly recognizable if you're at the right place in the park.
The Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire used to take place right over the hill from the MASH set. Makes watching reruns a little more amusing, knowing what was going on down the road and to the right.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:26 PM

I haven't seen them in a long time, but those 20th Century Fox/Irwin Allen "computers" (Lost in Space/Time Tunnel/Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) used to drive me bugfuck.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Combat! was filmed on the MGM lot. I never noticed it back in 1962--67, but every damned town in France looked exactly the same because they used the same set every week ...
Mrs R and I watched a bunch of Maverick episodes a while back, and darned if every little hick town he rode into didn't look exactly the same. I told her it was the director's subtle comment on the jaded attitude a professional gambler got after prolonged travel.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:50 PM

^ Now, Jim Garner could actually pull that off, IMHO.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 PM

When I saw Primer, I almost gave up at the 1-minute mark when I saw that they hadn’t bothered to ask anyone how to actually solder...
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 AM

'Back to the Future II'.

I imagine the film makers guessing that the multiple plot arcs were confusing, and so there was a scene where Dr Brown had to explain the concept of a parallel universe to the audience, masked as dialogue to Marty.

Just my take on it.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire used to take place right over the hill from the MASH set. Makes watching reruns a little more amusing, knowing what was going on down the road and to the right.
Wow, that's going waaaaaay back!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:38 PM

This is a little heavier than goofs, but I saw the new Angel Has Fallen over the weekend. My son and I love this series and this one was a lot of fun.

Except for one unnecessary scene. The hero's wife is home with their little girl, about 1 year old, in a high chair at table when thugs break into the house. The little girl was genuinely terrified, startled by something sudden out of frame that was supposed to be the thugs coming in. She was not acting at all at that age, and it completely took me out of the movie to see that. I was thinking about how that was a child "actor" who doesn't understand what's going on and she was actually as terrified as she looked. They did that to her for a realistic looking scene, but it actually had the opposite effect on me and it took me right out of the movie I was enjoying.

(If you haven't seen it, you have to take my word for it that the girl's reaction was much more than just crying. It wasn't just "I want out of this chair" or "I want my mommy." They did something to startle and terrify her.)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Sets that turn up in work after work with (or without) the slightest modification.
I was watching an episode of Gidget this morning (my God, what a crush I had on 18-year-old Sally Field ), and the living room of the house where her boyfriend lived was that of the Stephenses in Bewitched. They didn't even bother rearranging the furniture.

The exterior of the house where Gidget lived was on the Columbia Ranch back lot, where Bewitched was also filmed. In some shots, you can see the exterior of the Stephenses' house as well.

Last edited by terentii; 08-30-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:54 PM

Not a movie but I was watching original Star Trek and for the first time noticed Spock was holding an E6B mechanical flight computer. It's an aviation slide rule. Was Spock trying to calculate the cross wind component of warp speed? I laughed at myself for never catching this. Looking at the link the prop shows up more than once.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:56 AM

On location, when a scene is set in a small room, but you can see that it is a small corner of a large room. My mind starts filling in the camera men, production assistance, sound engineers all off camera.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
On location, when a scene is set in a small room, but you can see that it is a small corner of a large room. My mind starts filling in the camera men, production assistance, sound engineers all off camera.
I've gotten to be quite the "location snob" over the years. Now when watching older movies or TV shows, when they have a scene that's supposed to be urban or even a suburban town/village, I scoff, damn near cringe, and have to restrain myself from yelling "Set!!! Set!!!" whenever I see fake studio back lot scenery. Kills it for me.

Some try to add some eye candy to make a city scene look real, but it all looks too stilted and sanitized. I like the classic "film noir" era, and many great films were hatched, but boy were there some low-budget turkeys too.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbang View Post
(If you haven't seen it, you have to take my word for it that the girl's reaction was much more than just crying. It wasn't just "I want out of this chair" or "I want my mommy." They did something to startle and terrify her.)
I think that happened on the set of Fatal Attraction. The little girl actress walks in on her parents fighting after Mom finds out Dad has been sleeping with Glenn Close. Apparently Michael Douglas had to be quite vicious to the little girl in order to get her to cry on cue.

It always makes me wonder about the child rape scene in Bastard out of Carolina. How the hell they managed to pull that off without permanently traumatizing the actress astounds me.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:43 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
My dad said something similar to my sisters and me when, as kids, we were freaked-out-scared by a vampire movie on TV. "Just remember the director and the cameraman are just out of sight, and that this was the third take of that scene because someone farted, and at least one of the cast is wondering what to have for dinner when they finish for the day...."
Old 09-01-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
"I feel like we're in a movie."

"We are in a movie. See? There's the director, the cameraman, the script girl...."
Old 09-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I think that happened on the set of Fatal Attraction. The little girl actress walks in on her parents fighting after Mom finds out Dad has been sleeping with Glenn Close. Apparently Michael Douglas had to be quite vicious to the little girl in order to get her to cry on cue.

It always makes me wonder about the child rape scene in Bastard out of Carolina. How the hell they managed to pull that off without permanently traumatizing the actress astounds me.
That reminds me of a scene in "The Stunt Man" a film which is a complete mindf - OK - it screws with your mind. IMDB describes as "A fugitive stumbles on a movie set just when they need a new stunt man, takes the job as a way to hide out and falls for the leading lady." Which is accurate, as far as it goes. Peter O'Toole plays the director who manipulates the cast to get the performances he wants, and the film keeps popping into the movie within the movie and popping out again, so by the end you don't know what's "real" and what's "movie".