Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I think that anyone who thinks Oprah would be a good president is as stupid as Trump voters.
But maybe she would buy everyone in America a new car?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Are you talking about Otto? Automatic Otto?
Sorry, wasn’t trying to be mysterious, just forgot to type the actual name: Dan Marino.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
And make Jenny McCarthy Surgeon General. I kind of want her to run just so we can watch her get torn to pieces when people start digging in to the snakeoil BS she's been selling for decades, but the risk is too great that we'd actually elect her.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 AM

I believe that if/when the impeachment net starts to tighten, Trump may commit, or at least attempt, suicide. No, I don't want him to do that.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I hate to be pedantic, but she never bought her audience any cars on that show. Those cars were given to her, for free, for her to distribute to people, for free. It wasn't some act of generosity on her part.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
All new laws would come with an 'Oprah Book Club' sticker!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
Did you even read the rest of my post? The point was that the wind, alone, isn't what gets the ocean to carry heat from place to place. And, even if it were, wind patterns might change as a result of global warming ... [snip]
I did read the other part of your post and I did mean to comment, these "other" currents are trivial as a heat transport mechanism and certainly are not driven by heat transport ... saltier water is more dense and there's not enough heat in the water to provide buoyancy ... that's not the case with over 95% of ocean water where heat does provide enough buoyancy ... it's an observable fact that vertical heat convection doesn't occur in the open oceans ...

Quote:
Well, yeah. Of course you're not sure whether my stated (or, rather, hypothesized) mechanism is correct. I'm not sure of it, either. No-one knows exactly how it is that global climate change is going to alter our climates. Climate and weather prediction is notoriously difficult to do, and the probability of each particular scenario is, unavoidably, less than 100%.

Here's the thing, though. The changes we've seen due to global warming--more severe weather, rising sea levels, acidification of the ocean, etc.--all fit very well with the models used for climate change prediction. It therefore makes much more sense to assume that those predictions are more accurate than any other predictions people could make.
Maybe you weren't as clear as you could have been ... there's always been great temperature differences through latitude (north/south) ... the sun doesn't shine as much at 60º latitude than it does at 15º ... thus I assumed you were claiming great temperature differences across longitude (east/west) ... this isn't occurring right now with the forces currently at play, so you seem to be expecting some new force to come into existence ... a better mechanism is a more energenic tropical cell overrunning the temperate cell and merging with the polar cell, making one large cell per hemisphere ... this one large cell would be tropical in nature, and the basis of my claim "tropical climates pole to pole" ...

If by "severe weather" you mean steady-state thunderstorms (aka tornadic thunderstorms) ... then these can only be counted accurately using satellite imagery ... it's well known that before the Space Age this data is under-reported ... using 50 year averages with only 50 years accurate data, we've nothing to compare and so we can't claim any treads ...

Ocean acidification has absolutely nothing to do with global warming and climate change ... this is strictly due to the excess amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, more is being dissolved into the ocean ... if anything, warmer water temperature will drive CO2 back out into the atmosphere, but in truly trivial amounts ...

It's interesting you should bring up sea level rise ... we're just a week past the highest tides in a generation, AFAIK there's been no catastrophic flooding anywhere in the world due to this ... we've twenty or thirty years until this happens again and that's about as long as it took the USA to build her interstate freeway system ... how expensive it is to add 6 inches to all existing sea walls compared to building just I-80? ...

Quote:
Really? You think the American Museum of Natural History doesn't understand the science it teaches? As far as I can tell, the AMNH isn't saying that westerlies and trade winds don't occur in both hemispheres. Clearly, they do, and the AMNH isn't arguing that they don't. Are you trolling at this point, or being willfully obtuse?
This is the logical fallacy of "appealing to authority" ... of course the AMNH is a world class authority in all matters of natural history ... but that doesn't make them world class authorities on computational fluid dynamics ... for example; "The Earth’s rotation causes winds to flow clockwise in the northern hemisphere ..."; Winds flow counter-clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere due to the Coriolis effect ... how can you look at any weather map and defend that AMNH statement? ...
Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Can we not with the climate change?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 AM

We did this in the past. I'll post essentially the same thing as before:

Beer tastes like shit, and coffee tastes worse than beer.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Sparkly Jackboots Activated

Mod Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Can we not with the climate change?
Yes, let's not. For the second time, if you want to debate someone else's unpopular opinion, please take it to another thread rather than hijacking this one.

No warnings issued.

/Moderating
Old 01-10-2018, 02:35 PM

McDonald's french fries now suck. Unless you get direct from the basket fresh, they are inedible. Even fresh, corporate seems to have reduced the frying time. Crispy is not even in the vocabulary anymore.

Shoestring fries suck unless fresh and hot. Give me something substantial like steak fries or waffle fries. Wendy's fries are the best of the fast food along with Chick-fil-a waffle fries.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:19 PM

Bob Dylan, at least on his records during the 60s (I wasn't there to see him live), was a very good singer. No slouch with the guitar either.

The "cheese pull" is disgusting, and cheese in general is best in small doses. More is not better.

The government (any government) is bad, and the only problems it actually solves (emancipation, universal suffrage) are problems it caused in the first place, usually centuries too late. We would all be better off without it, rich and poor alike.

Corollary to the above: Freedom of migration is a human right. It should not be illegal to move to another country. It should not be possible to move to another country illegally. (Less unpopular, but free trade is a human right, too, and I'm always baffled when governments get involved in "free trade agreements" as if the buyer and seller of the particular good being traded aren't the only people who should be involved in those decisions.)

There's nothing inherently wrong with trophy hunting. It's only shitty when the animals are endangered, and of course "canned hunts" are for pussies. But I can totally see why Teddy Roosevelt hunted bears and lions. Hunting in general is an admirable sport, and outdoorsmen are usually better stewards of the environment than tree-huggers.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM

Lawns are a good thing if you don't bother watering, spraying and fertilizing them.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Less unpopular, but free trade is a human right, too, and I'm always baffled when governments get involved in "free trade agreements" as if the buyer and seller of the particular good being traded aren't the only people who should be involved in those decisions.
I believe the argument used by opponents of free trade is that some competition is inherently unfair. For example, if you're a manufacturer in a country with strict environmental laws it's generally going to cost you more to manufacture a product than it would cost to manufacture that same product in a country with negligible environmental laws. So you can't compete on an equal footing with manufacturers from that country.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:44 PM

I think Timothy McVeigh's actions were not an entirely unreasonable reaction to Ruby Ridge and Waco.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 PM

I think we should change the state name of Utah to Poofpoot.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I think Timothy McVeigh's actions were not an entirely unreasonable reaction to Ruby Ridge and Waco.
And there it is.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 PM

I think that Texas should secede, and be allowed to secede - to be rid of it and its effects on elections and national education.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Everyone who wants Trump impeached and forced to resign need to reconsider. Two words: President Pence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well Is Best Revenge View Post
What does the "radical left" do that's comparable to the alt right?
I'm not talking about the "alt-right" so much as just radicals in general. (Fascism and communism, for example, are really just two sides of the same coin). But while the radical left isn't really a thing here right now in the U.S., imagine if we had a group of pro-Castro, anarchists going around burning buildings and beating the shit out of anyone who disagreed with them, wanting to censor everything, in the White House, in Congress, etc. That would probably just as fucked up.

I don't think they're as prominent -- but anyone who acts that way is no better than the alt-right they condemn. They're just really a pathetic fringe right now.

I'm a leftist, but I loathe extemists. (And no, not in a "both sides do it!" way)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Blowing 168 innocent people into pieces? Yep, that qualifies for this thread.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 PM

I don't like to drink alcoholic beverages. I'm not an alcoholic or preachy about it. You can have all you want. But you should stop offering me any after the second time I tell you "No, thank you."
Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
...It appears that no matter how well you plan it, parenting is a total crapshoot.
As odd as it seems, there is strong scientific evidence supporting this.

Twin studies are the gold standard for analyzing nature vs nurture, and they have shown that roughly half of the variance in a child's behavior is explained by genetics, half by environment. No surprise there.

However, of the 50% that is attributable to environment, virtually none is explained by the parental environment (barring extreme cases of parental abuse). To show this, you must control for genetics, because we do influence our children's behavior and personality by the genes we give them. This is why twin studies are important, and they show that biological siblings raised in the same home are no more similar than biological siblings raised in different homes (and that the same is true for biologically unrelated children raised in the same home). This is completely counterintuitive, but (contrary to the claims of critics) there is consistent evidence to support this from many independent studies over the years.

The working assumption is that the peer group outside the home must be the environmental factor that is far more influential on personality development than parental influence, although I'm not aware of any studies to test this explicitly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nurture_Assumption

Last edited by Riemann; 01-10-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller0910 View Post
Sorry, wasn’t trying to be mysterious, just forgot to type the actual name: Dan Marino.
Ahh, yes, he’s one of the all-time greatests. One of the GOATs.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 AM

Yep, Spice, I have always said raising kids takes alot of luck, and a good humor. My own kids were mostly simple to raise. I had a few problems. Mostly my middle daughter was a little angst-y and generally put out as a teen. She has grown into a lovely young woman. Who is scary smart and a good mother. I couldn't ask for better. You have seen me post about the lil'wrekker on here, aside from the late breaking pink hair incident, she has been the blessing of my life.
If I can say one thing 'when' you get your baby or child, laugh alot, play alot. Be joyful and your child will be joyful. A good humor is contagious.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
I don't like to drink alcoholic beverages. I'm not an alcoholic or preachy about it. You can have all you want. But you should stop offering me any after the second time I tell you "No, thank you."
A helpful suggestion: instead of saying, “No, thank you”, say instead “No, thank you. I don’t drink.”

Maybe that’s why people keep offering. Maybe they don’t realize you don’t drink.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 AM

Here is a barrage of my unpopular opinions.

1.) The Godfather is not that great of a movie (singular because its pretty much one movie broken up)
2.) Modern climate change is not fully man made
3.) (agreeing with above posters), The Beatles and Bob Dylan sound terrible (Rolling Stones are better) and alcohol is a blight on humanity
4.)Xbox One is better than Playstation 4.
5.)American Cars and design are still built better than others.
6.) Irish themed establishments are annoying.
7.) If you don't at least try to fix things on your own (if at all able) before hiring others, you are a peasant.
8.) I am not impressed with humanity as a whole, we can do much better.
9.) We will reach a state of hyperinflation sooner than later.
10.) Peace causes so much war, fighting in the name of it, anyways. We will never be at peace, it is human nature to fight and have war, and war brings upon massive technological change for the better of all.

*ducks*
Old 01-11-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
A helpful suggestion: instead of saying, “No, thank you”, say instead “No, thank you. I don’t drink.”

Maybe that’s why people keep offering. Maybe they don’t realize you don’t drink.
On first offering, I just say, "nah, I'm good." Second offering I say, "no thanks - I don't drink. I'll just have a water." This would be at a casual social gathering, and nobody has ever pushed it. If it's a raucous affair where everyone is plastered, I won't be there in the first place. I can't be sober around a bunch of people who are all pounding down drinks. The din of the roaring crowd and the inevitable nine-conversations-going-on-all-at-once with everyone needing to yell into ears to be heard...no thanks. I'll take a spliff of herb and good tobacco, a quiet room, and the Grateful Dead or some bebop, and one or two soft-spoken people, thanks.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
7.) If you don't at least try to fix things on your own (if at all able) before hiring others, you are a peasant.
What's wrong with being a peasant? And I'd like to add the opposite: sometimes it's a really bad idea to DIY and you're better off calling an expert.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 01-11-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
What's wrong with being a peasant? And I'd like to add the opposite: sometimes it's a really bad idea to DIY and you're better off calling an expert.
LOL, I don't mean DIY/Half-Assed stuff. I mean more like you are perfectly capable and you know how and/or have a good track record of fixing stuff, but you just hire someone else. Like replacing a faucet, a headlight or something equally trivial. Stuff that takes ten or twenty minutes. It just doesn't make sense to me in any way.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 AM

Mr.Wrekker has been fired as my handy man. He is too slow on the job. If I need it done, it takes a week to explain why/what/where. Too much trouble. Then it takes a week to remind him daily to get what he needs for said project. And no telling how long to finish. Nope. You're fired, go fishing , my love. I'll take care of it.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I'm kind of of the unpopular opinion in the opposite direction--militia compounds in the US should be treated the same way as those in the Middle East--with Predator drones and Hellfire missiles.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wish McVeign, who was executed on June 11, 2001, went to his grave thinking he was some hot shot terrorist who would always be remember. I wish his execution had been delayed four months and taken place on October 11, 2001, so he would know that in the world of remembered terrorism, he was chickenshit.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't that be the opposite of a peasant? A peasant isn't afraid of getting his hands dirty, what you're describing is someone who is "afraid his rings will fall off" as we say in Spanish.

Quote:

That tends to lead to "what? Why not?" and this would actually be the polite version. I've even had to leave a company party because a coworker who happened to be untouchable was colluding with two other brains to force a bottle of JD down my gullet.

Last edited by Nava; 01-11-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 AM

The United States Marine Corps is an anachronism whose actual missions are redundant with those of the Army, and should be retired as an organization.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
The United States Marine Corps is an anachronism whose actual missions are redundant with those of the Army, and should be retired as an organization.
Interesting. Can you expand?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Criminals kill 50 times as many African Americans as cops kill. If Black Lives Matter activists are not careful, criminals will run rampant, and the increase in crime-related deaths will vastly outnumber any decrease in cop-related deaths than might have been achieved.

Conventional wisdom holds that poverty causes crime. I think that it is more often the reverse. If you have to devote resources to protect yourself from crime, those resources are not available for your retirement fund, or your children's college fund. A small number of gangsters can blight a large neighborhood, for generations.

Revolutions do not happen because the poor are oppressed.
Revolutions do not happen because the middle class are oppressed.
Revolutions happen because the lower-ranking aristocrats see the top jobs just slightly out of reach.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Criminals kill 50 times as many African Americans as cops kill. If Black Lives Matter activists are not careful, criminals will run rampant, and the increase in crime-related deaths will vastly outnumber any decrease in cop-related deaths than might have been achieved.
What do you mean by "careful?" Why would criminals "run rampant" if cops had less unjustified shootings?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
the notion that Al Qaeda "won" is just nonsense, and it's a particularly parochial kind of nonsense.
Hogwash, the terrorists (Al Qaeda, ISIS, etc.) got exactly what they wanted. We are terrorized. Everything we have done as a result is clear evidence of this. They took a proud free society that was, in someways, a beacon to the world and turned it into a nation of mice who are afraid of their own shadows.
Our response to terrorists should have been that of the British during the blitz. Nothing that has happened in the US caused even 1/100th the terror rained on Briton by Hitler, and yet the British public were never cowed. The war leadership in Briton had lots of negative qualities but they knew how to inspire. The only thing US leadership has inspired is more fear.
If you talked to anyone in the 1980s and told them that America would ever have a federal agency of "Homeland Security" they would think you were nuts. That name is something straight out of Soviet Block authoritarian regimes. Between them and the TSA and the NSA Americans have never been less free of intrusion from security services into their personal affairs. Cite with plenty more to offer if you would like.
We have sold our freedoms in the name of illusory "security." Because in response to a few acts of terrorism our leaders and our press have said, not "Live your lives as if the terrorist don't exist, show them we won't be cowed," but "You're not afraid enough! Be more afraid!"
Our leaders and our press have failed this country by trying to be "tough on terror" and by publishing hysterical clickbait headlines, respectively. They managed to work the populace into a state where a majority are willing to say, "To heck with our freedoms, just keep us safe."
Wouldn't, to heck with our safety, keep us free, have been a better message? Especially because the actual threat from terrorism is, in fact minuscule.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. Can you expand?
Sure! This article makes some good points.

The Marine Corps was founded as a naval infantry force. Well things change, and of course we no longer need boarding parties (or when we do, Navy and Coast Guard are perfectly capable) and snipers up the masts of the ship.

The other two hallmarks of the Marine Corps have been opposed amphibious landings, and expeditionary capability.

The last real amphibious landing was Korea (Marines inserted amphibiously into Vietnam as well, but it was a boat ride to the beach rather than an assault) and weapons and capabilities being what they are, there will never be another amphibious assault of the type that that is the Marine Corps' raison d'etre.

As far as expeditionary capability and being the 'tip of the spear,' there's no reason that, say, an Army unit couldn't accomplish the same thing. "But the built-in logistical capabilities of the MC!" you might say. Well...transfer them to the Army.

What has the MC been doing, mission-wise, lately? Yes, the Marine Corps has specialized capabilities and doctrine, but it's not being used. It's fighting (or fought) from firebases bases in Afghanistan and previously Iraq in the exact same manner Army units are.

Typing this while I do other things so apologies if it's scatterbrained.

I read something recently where the MC was going to try to develop/improve it's cyber warfare capabilities. Why?!? How redundant (and inferior) is that compared to the cyber capabilities already in place in other branches?

I think every ground capability of the MC should be folded into the Army, and every air capability folded in to the Navy. Anymore, there's simply no reason for the MC to have redundant missions with the waste of resources and money that entails. The only real argument for keeping the MC around any more is sentimental.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pábitel View Post
Wouldn't, to heck with our safety, keep us free, have been a better message? Especially because the actual threat from terrorism is, in fact minuscule.
Ah, but everybody knows Patrick Henry was a traitor.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Sure! This article makes some good points.

The Marine Corps was founded as a naval infantry force. Well things change, and of course we no longer need boarding parties (or when we do, Navy and Coast Guard are perfectly capable) and snipers up the masts of the ship.

The other two hallmarks of the Marine Corps have been opposed amphibious landings, and expeditionary capability.

The last real amphibious landing was Korea (Marines inserted amphibiously into Vietnam as well, but it was a boat ride to the beach rather than an assault) and weapons and capabilities being what they are, there will never be another amphibious assault of the type that that is the Marine Corps' raison d'etre.

As far as expeditionary capability and being the 'tip of the spear,' there's no reason that, say, an Army unit couldn't accomplish the same thing. "But the built-in logistical capabilities of the MC!" you might say. Well...transfer them to the Army.

What has the MC been doing, mission-wise, lately? Yes, the Marine Corps has specialized capabilities and doctrine, but it's not being used. It's fighting (or fought) from firebases bases in Afghanistan and previously Iraq in the exact same manner Army units are.

Typing this while I do other things so apologies if it's scatterbrained.

I read something recently where the MC was going to try to develop/improve it's cyber warfare capabilities. Why?!? How redundant (and inferior) is that compared to the cyber capabilities already in place in other branches?

I think every ground capability of the MC should be folded into the Army, and every air capability folded in to the Navy. Anymore, there's simply no reason for the MC to have redundant missions with the waste of resources and money that entails. The only real argument for keeping the MC around any more is sentimental.
I've been told the reason why the Marine Corps is still around is because the people want a Marine Corps.

I wouldn't want to be a part of the Army. I joined the Marines for a reason.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbell2915 View Post
I've been told the reason why the Marine Corps is still around is because the people want a Marine Corps.

Of course, you're exactly right.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbell2915 View Post

Semper Fi
Old 01-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you don't at least try to fix things on your own (if at all able) before hiring others, you are a peasant.
I'm curious about this one. How does this make you a (presumably metaphorical) peasant? Aren't peasants the people that do all the labor? If you have money and have other people do work for you, aren't you the metaphorical noble?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Revolutions do not happen because the poor are oppressed.
Revolutions do not happen because the middle class are oppressed.
Revolutions happen because the lower-ranking aristocrats see the top jobs just slightly out of reach.
I've always thought revolutions happen when the regime loses the loyalty of its enforcers. Once the regime can no longer count on its police and soldiers to shoot the rebels, the regime's days are numbered.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I'm curious about this one. How does this make you a (presumably metaphorical) peasant? Aren't peasants the people that do all the labor? If you have money and have other people do work for you, aren't you the metaphorical noble?
All I know is I tried to stain my own deck and it cost more money when I finally hired the pros to do it, because of my failed attempt. The moral of the story is don't try. Delegate. As far as I'm concerned one of the few appealing aspects of wealth is paying other people to do work so you don't have to.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I think that Texas should secede, and be allowed to secede - to be rid of it and its effects on elections and national education.
My contribution:
I think that Texas Ohio should secede, and be allowed to secede - to be rid of it and its effects on elections and rational education.

My second contribution:

"X is the new Y" is idiotic and should be dismissed. Just like starting sentences with "So" ("Blue is the new 50", or "So Carnac the Magnificent just showed up on my doorstep.")
Old 01-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Krupe View Post
My contribution:
I think that Texas Ohio should secede, and be allowed to secede - to be rid of it and its effects on elections and rational education.

My second contribution:

"X is the new Y" is idiotic and should be dismissed. Just like starting sentences with "So" ("Blue is the new 50", or "So Carnac the Magnificent just showed up on my doorstep.")
So, it's my opinion that the "Unpopular opinion" thread is the new "Minirant" thread.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The Star Wars prequels didn't suck as much as the cool kids would have you believe.
This is exactly what I was going to post. Taking them for what they are rather than what I wished they be, I've grown to enjoy them more and more over the years.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pábitel View Post
Hogwash, the terrorists (Al Qaeda, ISIS, etc.) got exactly what they wanted. We are terrorized. Everything we have done as a result is clear evidence of this. They took a proud free society that was, in someways, a beacon to the world and turned it into a nation of mice who are afraid of their own shadows.
Our response to terrorists should have been that of the British during the blitz. Nothing that has happened in the US caused even 1/100th the terror rained on Briton by Hitler, and yet the British public were never cowed. The war leadership in Briton had lots of negative qualities but they knew how to inspire. The only thing US leadership has inspired is more fear.
If you talked to anyone in the 1980s and told them that America would ever have a federal agency of "Homeland Security" they would think you were nuts. That name is something straight out of Soviet Block authoritarian regimes. Between them and the TSA and the NSA Americans have never been less free of intrusion from security services into their personal affairs. Cite with plenty more to offer if you would like.
We have sold our freedoms in the name of illusory "security." Because in response to a few acts of terrorism our leaders and our press have said, not "Live your lives as if the terrorist don't exist, show them we won't be cowed," but "You're not afraid enough! Be more afraid!"
Our leaders and our press have failed this country by trying to be "tough on terror" and by publishing hysterical clickbait headlines, respectively. They managed to work the populace into a state where a majority are willing to say, "To heck with our freedoms, just keep us safe."
Because this isn't "argue about your opinions", I'll try to keep this short. The Terrorists don't care about our freedoms, America is a sideshow to them, the only reason they care about America is because of our support for our client states in the Middle East, or our hostility to other disfavored states in the Middle East. There are hundreds of bombings and terrorist attacks in the Middle East and South Asia for every one in America or Europe.

To take Iraq for example, we spent a decade there, spent untold Billions of dollars, and walked away worse off than ever. Was this a win for Al Qaida? No, no more than it was a win for Saddam. Saddam didn't want to force America to spend hundreds of billions and cripple itself for nothing. He wanted to continue to rule Iraq as dictator. Well, he can't do that because he's dead. He lost. That doesn't mean we won, because we lost too. The real winners of course were the Iranians, who watched us topple their hated rival and watched us botch the job of setting up an Iraqi client state, and now Iraq is an Iranian client state instead of a deadly enemy. So sad for Al Qaida, so sad for Saddam, so sad for the United States, so sad for liberal democracy in the Middle East, all losers in this war. Multiple sides can lose, it's a non-zero sum game.