Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 21,203

Amazon's customer-screwing policies


Although I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, I rarely need it fast, so Amazon Prime is not useful to me and I never deliberately subscribed to it. But I noticed a $13 charge on my credit card statement a few times for "Prime Membership," and called them on it (after cancelling online).

According to a clerk, who spoke good enough English that I don't think I misunderstood, I am automatically signed up for a Prime Membership, with a continuing monthly charge, anytime I select 2 day shipping for an item.

Apparently the 2 day shipping option was the cheapest on the list, so I unwittingly selected it, either not knowing what I was signing up for, or didn't see the fine print.

Oddly, the cost of the membership varies according to the item you first buy, as one charge was for $11. The explanation was, "Oh, that had a different tax amount," which makes no sense, but I let it go, more concerned with the overall refund (which was made).

This is a fraudulent way of doing business, akin to a bait & switch ploy. Anyone else get caught in this, or do I have the procedure wrong?
  #2  
Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Razncain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX & CO
Posts: 1,669
That happened to me once too, it's easy to do the way it is set up. Was out a bit of time to straighten it all out, but was one of the few times I was able to get through to a live person, and they were understanding enough to refund me back the prime charges too.
  #3  
Old 06-25-2018, 10:41 AM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
According to a clerk, who spoke good enough English that I don't think I misunderstood, I am automatically signed up for a Prime Membership, with a continuing monthly charge, anytime I select 2 day shipping for an item.

Apparently the 2 day shipping option was the cheapest on the list, so I unwittingly selected it, either not knowing what I was signing up for, or didn't see the fine print.
I'd be interested in seeing a screen shot, that shows the wording on the shipping option choices.

(I'm already a Prime member, so it's not going to be the same for me.)
  #4  
Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by razncain View Post
That happened to me once too, it's easy to do the way it is set up. Was out a bit of time to straighten it all out, but was one of the few times I was able to get through to a live person, and they were understanding enough to refund me back the prime charges too.
Iíve never had any problem getting through to a live person when I have an Amazon issue. They have all been well-informed and empowered to offer help such as refunds and account credits. And they have all been fluent in American English. Usually I request that they call me and the callback always comes within a few seconds. Sometime I just donít feel like talking so I use the text-based chat. But this is one of the things that has always differentiated Amazon from the other large companies I do business with.
  #5  
Old 06-25-2018, 11:10 AM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I'd be interested in seeing a screen shot, that shows the wording on the shipping option choices.

(I'm already a Prime member, so it's not going to be the same for me.)
I am too, but if you're not logged in, prime product pages show "get free two day shipping with Prime" or something similar.
  #6  
Old 06-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,191
I agree that you have to be very careful when you are selecting the shipping options so that you aren't inadvertently joining Prime. This happened to me once, and I discovered it at the payment screen, so I backed up two screens to the point before I started to check out, and did it again correctly.

I also agree that this tactic stinks. This sort of thing seems to be SOP for many online retailers, even if it's only to get you to sign up for their emails.

Note to online retailers: I pay attention to these things, and I spend my money as much as possible on sites that treat me with respect and don't try to trick me.
  #7  
Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Razncain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX & CO
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Iíve never had any problem getting through to a live person when I have an Amazon issue. They have all been well-informed and empowered to offer help such as refunds and account credits. And they have all been fluent in American English. Usually I request that they call me and the callback always comes within a few seconds. Sometime I just donít feel like talking so I use the text-based chat. But this is one of the things that has always differentiated Amazon from the other large companies I do business with.
My main problem and time buster was just finding a number where I could talk to a live person. At one time, Amazon didn't even have their number listed, it's still like trying to find a needle in a haystack on their site. Scam artists are fully away of this, so when others opt to try to find their number through search engines, they can be miss-led to bogus sites.

Current wait time was 48 minutes when I just checked on this site. It says average time is generally 19 minutes, which isn't bad at all if one can get out that quick.

Amazon's legit number: 1-888-280-4331.
  #8  
Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 21,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I'd be interested in seeing a screen shot, that shows the wording on the shipping option choices.
There's no way I can go back to what I purchased and recreate the screen, but I will be sure to check next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razncain View Post
My main problem and time buster was just finding a number where I could talk to a live person. At one time, Amazon didn't even have their number listed, it's still like trying to find a needle in a haystack on their site. Scam artists are fully away of this, so when others opt to try to find their number through search engines, they can be miss-led to bogus sites.
...

Amazon's legit number: 1-888-280-4331.
Yes, that's the number, but I got it from my credit card company; it wasn't printed on the bill like some others are.
  #9  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Gatopescado is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,258
That's how they get ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I agree that you have to be very careful when you are selecting the shipping options so that you aren't inadvertently joining Prime. This happened to me once, and I discovered it at the payment screen, so I backed up two screens to the point before I started to check out, and did it again correctly.
Same here. But I couldn't get them to accept PayPal (I've got a big balance to use up) so ended up getting the same thing cheaper on ebay. Never have any luck with Amazon.
  #10  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:17 PM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,088
I'm curious about it as well, we've had other threads and I've seen other complaints about exactly this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I am too, but if you're not logged in, prime product pages show "get free two day shipping with Prime" or something similar.
That seems a little skeevy, if you don't have prime or even moreso if you don't use Amazon, you might not know what that means. Is there really nothing else that says you're going to be billed for this?
  #11  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:23 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I'm curious about it as well, we've had other threads and I've seen other complaints about exactly this subject.



That seems a little skeevy, if you don't have prime or even moreso if you don't use Amazon, you might not know what that means. Is there really nothing else that says you're going to be billed for this?

I have prime, so I can't say what the shipping page says. Someone above says they realized what was being agreed to, and so backed out. So it seems there is something that is more explicit. Maybe not explicit enough, I can't say.

I see it as the price posted in a grocery store- 5.99 with bonus card. If you don't have a bonus card, or don't know what one is, you may want to look to see what the price is without a bonus card.
  #12  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by razncain View Post
My main problem and time buster was just finding a number where I could talk to a live person. At one time, Amazon didn't even have their number listed, it's still like trying to find a needle in a haystack on their site. Scam artists are fully away of this, so when others opt to try to find their number through search engines, they can be miss-led to bogus sites.

Current wait time was 48 minutes when I just checked on this site. It says average time is generally 19 minutes, which isn't bad at all if one can get out that quick.

Amazon's legit number: 1-888-280-4331.
Click to call has been almost instantaneous when I've needed to speak to a live person.
  #13  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I have prime, so I can't say what the shipping page says. Someone above says they realized what was being agreed to, and so backed out. So it seems there is something that is more explicit. Maybe not explicit enough, I can't say.
I've had prime just about forever so can't see it either.
I wouldn't compare it to a grocery store since most of their tags say the price, but then under it say a higher price if you don't use a card. ISTM that this would be more like looking at your receipt a few days later and seeing that you were charged $12.99 for using the regular checkout lane instead of the self serve one.
  #14  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:32 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I've had prime just about forever so can't see it either.
I wouldn't compare it to a grocery store since most of their tags say the price, but then under it say a higher price if you don't use a card. ISTM that this would be more like looking at your receipt a few days later and seeing that you were charged $12.99 for using the regular checkout lane instead of the self serve one.
I guess it depends on what the shipping page says. If it says"sign up up a trial of prime to get free two day shipping" then I don't see the outage.
  #15  
Old 06-25-2018, 02:08 PM
erysichthon's Avatar
erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
This is a fraudulent way of doing business, akin to a bait & switch ploy. Anyone else get caught in this, or do I have the procedure wrong?
You're in good company! Our friend aceplace57 also fell for it.
  #16  
Old 06-25-2018, 02:16 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
That's how they get ya!



Same here. But I couldn't get them to accept PayPal (I've got a big balance to use up) so ended up getting the same thing cheaper on ebay. Never have any luck with Amazon.
Canít you cash out your PayPal balance?
  #17  
Old 06-25-2018, 02:40 PM
magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,324
As someone without Prime, I just logged on and looked at what was there.

1) When looking at the item, above the "add to cart" button, there's a checkmark that says " Try Amazon Prime and start saving today with FREE Two-Day Shipping." I leave that unchecked and hit "add to cart."

2) I (sometimes) get a big pop-up that says "do you want to try Amazon Prime and get free two day shipping?"

3) Once in cart, the delivery options are: "FREE two-day shipping with a free trial of Amazon Prime" "4-5 business days $5.99" "2 business days $11.29" etc.

I suppose OP can complain about the whole "free trial that automatically renews at cost" thing that all companies do, but as far as accidentally signing up, I think OP needs to get their vision checked. (At least, this is on desktop - might look different on mobile?)

Last edited by magnusblitz; 06-25-2018 at 02:41 PM.
  #18  
Old 06-25-2018, 03:00 PM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
As someone without Prime, I just logged on and looked at what was there.

1) When looking at the item, above the "add to cart" button, there's a checkmark that says " Try Amazon Prime and start saving today with FREE Two-Day Shipping." I leave that unchecked and hit "add to cart."

2) I (sometimes) get a big pop-up that says "do you want to try Amazon Prime and get free two day shipping?"

3) Once in cart, the delivery options are: "FREE two-day shipping with a free trial of Amazon Prime" "4-5 business days $5.99" "2 business days $11.29" etc.

I suppose OP can complain about the whole "free trial that automatically renews at cost" thing that all companies do, but as far as accidentally signing up, I think OP needs to get their vision checked. (At least, this is on desktop - might look different on mobile?)
Thank you for throwing yourself on the Science Grenade.
  #19  
Old 06-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I have prime, so I can't say what the shipping page says. Someone above says they realized what was being agreed to, and so backed out. So it seems there is something that is more explicit. Maybe not explicit enough, I can't say.
That was me and one other person. I don't remember now what it was on the payment page that made me realize that I was signing up for a Prime trial, but there was something.

The thing is, I am so used to skipping that "FREE 2-day shipping with Prime" option that it's almost automatic. This one time I'm not paying so close attention, and they almost got me. I feel like a gazelle who just didn't run quite fast enough one day to escape the cheetah. Or something. Why does shopping have to be that kind of experience?
  #20  
Old 06-25-2018, 11:14 PM
blondebear is offline
Shouting Grasshopper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Meridian/280
Posts: 14,098
If you find that you've unwittingly signed up for Prime, make sure you take advantage of that 2-day shipping guarantee. Anytime something shows up late make sure to complain and ask for a one month extension. I mean, that's the whole point of a guarantee, isn't it? If they can't deliver on their promise, they need to do something other than just apologize. Sure it might be the fault of the courier, but that's their problem, not yours

Last edited by blondebear; 06-25-2018 at 11:17 PM.
  #21  
Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 PM
pohjonen's Avatar
pohjonen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Almost Idaho
Posts: 1,724
I agree that Amazon has gotten really weaselly of late. I had prime but they got really bad about being late with orders. I'd get one delivery guarantee on the product page, but then it didn't match up with the email date after I ordered and way too often it was late beyond that. I let prime lapse, and almost got caught on that sneak you onto prime unless you read everything carefully. The final straw was the eclipse glasses that they waited until the last split second to tell everyone not to use, after they couldn't be replaced because there were none left to be had. That's when I cancelled my store card, and let the prime part of the amazon visa expire. I still order from them occasionally, but not nearly at the level I once did. If I can find it for the same price or just a little more somewhere else, I get it somewhere else.
  #22  
Old 06-26-2018, 01:23 AM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,088
magnusblitz touched on it, but it's worth saying again, it's just a trial. Not that 'tricking' people into it makes it okay, but you don't get charged for 30 days and in the mean time you can use it as much as you want. My dad accidentally got it as well. I told him what I've told others that had that happen. Go log back in (like, right now, so you don't forget) and cancel the trial. IIRC, they'll still give you the full 30 days, but you won't be charged at the end of it.
  #23  
Old 06-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Gatopescado is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Canít you cash out your PayPal balance?
Well, that's no fun!
  #24  
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 AM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
I agree that Amazon has gotten really weaselly of late. I had prime but they got really bad about being late with orders. I'd get one delivery guarantee on the product page, but then it didn't match up with the email date after I ordered and way too often it was late beyond that. I let prime lapse, and almost got caught on that sneak you onto prime unless you read everything carefully. The final straw was the eclipse glasses that they waited until the last split second to tell everyone not to use, after they couldn't be replaced because there were none left to be had. That's when I cancelled my store card, and let the prime part of the amazon visa expire. I still order from them occasionally, but not nearly at the level I once did. If I can find it for the same price or just a little more somewhere else, I get it somewhere else.
One thing, similarly, that always bugs me is when I specifically search for (for example) 'same day delivery'. Then I go to the product page and don't see same day delivery, or even prime, or even 'sold/shipped by Amazon'. I'll give them a very small amount of credit for clothing. The product page might have 5 sizes and 10 colors and maybe one or two of them offer what I was looking for. But they are certainly times when it's just a single item. I've even had it happen (and double checked) where the price in the search list and the price in the product page don't match.


One other thing: While it's difficult to fight with what the email says, if a shipment is late pull up a chat window and tell them about it (I usually do it as soon as the deadline passes). 9 times out of 10 they'll give you a free month of Prime.
  #25  
Old 06-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Hilarity N. Suze is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,985
I was very happy with amazon until approximately this morning. What happened: I ordered an umbrella. It arrived with a broken handle. I immediately went on the site and clicked "return" and was informed that I didn't need to send it back, they would send a replacement. All good.

The "replacement" turned out to be...a book, that I ordered, and had already received. The book was fine. There is the slimmest chance that I tried to send back the book instead of the umbrella but I don't really think so (because, despite amazon thinking they arrived on the same day, I didn't get the book until the next day, and I know this because I read it that night and reviewed it the next day).

So I went back to the amazon "complaint" site. Write a complaint. Did not go through as it was deemed too short. So I copied the comment several times. Now it's too long. So I shortened it, and finally it was accepted.

Then I tried to write a review of the umbrella itself. They did not take it, I think because it was too uncomplimentary. I simplified it to "arrived with broken handle." Too short. Changed it to "Arrived with broken handle, useless. Very unhappy." Finally, it took that review.

Then I tried to get a refund. It turns out I have to ship the broken thing back. Too bad I don't have a shipping department with an umbrella-shaped box in my home office. But! There was an option for "return in original packaging" with the added bonus, as stated right there in plain pixels, "No printer required!" Perfect, now I wouldn't have to go to all that trouble. Just stick it back in the beat-up box and voila. So I picked that option.

Whoops! Further intructions: "Pack securely and print out the label." Wait, I thought there was no printer required? Again, amazon lied to me.

I am now really pissed. It wasn't packed securely in the first place. Although I gather from most of the 10 or so one-star reviews that this might be a common problem, the handle detaching, and the packaging may not have mattered that much.

My memory is that amazon used to be pretty good with customer service, but now they're big enough they no longer give a fuck.
  #26  
Old 06-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Pippers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 134
Amazon sucks. That is all.
  #27  
Old 06-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I was very happy with amazon until approximately this morning. What happened: I ordered an umbrella. It arrived with a broken handle. I immediately went on the site and clicked "return" and was informed that I didn't need to send it back, they would send a replacement. All good.

The "replacement" turned out to be...a book, that I ordered, and had already received. The book was fine. There is the slimmest chance that I tried to send back the book instead of the umbrella but I don't really think so (because, despite amazon thinking they arrived on the same day, I didn't get the book until the next day, and I know this because I read it that night and reviewed it the next day).

So I went back to the amazon "complaint" site. Write a complaint. Did not go through as it was deemed too short. So I copied the comment several times. Now it's too long. So I shortened it, and finally it was accepted.

Then I tried to write a review of the umbrella itself. They did not take it, I think because it was too uncomplimentary. I simplified it to "arrived with broken handle." Too short. Changed it to "Arrived with broken handle, useless. Very unhappy." Finally, it took that review.

Then I tried to get a refund. It turns out I have to ship the broken thing back. Too bad I don't have a shipping department with an umbrella-shaped box in my home office. But! There was an option for "return in original packaging" with the added bonus, as stated right there in plain pixels, "No printer required!" Perfect, now I wouldn't have to go to all that trouble. Just stick it back in the beat-up box and voila. So I picked that option.

Whoops! Further intructions: "Pack securely and print out the label." Wait, I thought there was no printer required? Again, amazon lied to me.

I am now really pissed. It wasn't packed securely in the first place. Although I gather from most of the 10 or so one-star reviews that this might be a common problem, the handle detaching, and the packaging may not have mattered that much.

My memory is that amazon used to be pretty good with customer service, but now they're big enough they no longer give a fuck.
If you're doing this via chat, try calling them. I usually call them when things start to get complicated like that and in the vast majority of times I've had to call, you end up talking to someone, that speaks English as a first language and lives in the US. They'll typically do whatever it takes to get everything straightened out.
  #28  
Old 06-26-2018, 06:13 PM
erysichthon's Avatar
erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
As someone without Prime, I just logged on and looked at what was there.

1) When looking at the item, above the "add to cart" button, there's a checkmark that says " Try Amazon Prime and start saving today with FREE Two-Day Shipping." I leave that unchecked and hit "add to cart."

2) I (sometimes) get a big pop-up that says "do you want to try Amazon Prime and get free two day shipping?"

3) Once in cart, the delivery options are: "FREE two-day shipping with a free trial of Amazon Prime" "4-5 business days $5.99" "2 business days $11.29" etc.

I suppose OP can complain about the whole "free trial that automatically renews at cost" thing that all companies do, but as far as accidentally signing up, I think OP needs to get their vision checked. (At least, this is on desktop - might look different on mobile?)
A couple of additional points:

The "FREE Two-Day Shipping with a trial of Amazon Prime" option is not pre-selected as the defaultóyou actually have to click it. The "Prime" text is in the same font size as the "FREE Two-Day Shipping" part, so it's not as if they're using fine print to fool people.

Also, when you sign up for the Prime free trial, you get an email welcoming you to the awesomeness that is Amazon Prime. The subject line on that message is "[Name], Welcome to Your Amazon Prime Free Trial." When log you into Amazon after that, you see a different home page with verbiage reminding you that YES, you are a Prime member and get all sorts of wonderful benefits.

As Joey P noted, it's still just a free trial. You won't get that $12.99 charge on your credit card bill unless you somehow overlook all of the obvious signs of Prime membership for 30 days. However, you can't get another free Prime trial if you've had one fairly recently. The OP says this has happened "a few times," so I'm guessing he's out of free trials and is getting billed immediately.
  #29  
Old 06-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
A couple of additional points:

The "FREE Two-Day Shipping with a trial of Amazon Prime" option is not pre-selected as the defaultóyou actually have to click it. The "Prime" text is in the same font size as the "FREE Two-Day Shipping" part, so it's not as if they're using fine print to fool people.
That's true. What IS pre-selected is the most expensive shipping option, which is usually for 2-day shipping that costs more than the item. So you are looking for something more reasonable to click, and you see "2-day free shipping" and stop reading there. Don't tell me that the most expensive shipping option is the default because it benefits me, because I don't believe it. Call my cynical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
Also, when you sign up for the Prime free trial, you get an email welcoming you to the awesomeness that is Amazon Prime. The subject line on that message is "[Name], Welcome to Your Amazon Prime Free Trial." When log you into Amazon after that, you see a different home page with verbiage reminding you that YES, you are a Prime member and get all sorts of wonderful benefits.
As someone noted, maybe in another thread (I haven't tried this myself, having fortunately never accidentally or on purpose chosen to try Prime) you can't actually cancel Prime online until something like a day or two before you start getting billed for it. Again, not done for my benefit. (If anyone has contrary experience, I will be happy to hear about it; I am not going to try it for myself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
As Joey P noted, it's still just a free trial. You won't get that $12.99 charge on your credit card bill unless you somehow overlook all of the obvious signs of Prime membership for 30 days. However, you can't get another free Prime trial if you've had one fairly recently. The OP says this has happened "a few times," so I'm guessing he's out of free trials and is getting billed immediately.
And probably not clearly notified about that either.

I continue to use Amazon for things I can't find anywhere else, but I remain careful and diligent not to accidentally sign up for Prime as a test or otherwise.
  #30  
Old 06-26-2018, 07:24 PM
erysichthon's Avatar
erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
That's true. What IS pre-selected is the most expensive shipping option, which is usually for 2-day shipping that costs more than the item.
I have never seen this happen. In my experience, the pre-selected option is "Standard Shipping," which isn't free, but takes about a week. Usually there are also expensive two-day and one-day options offered, but I have NEVER seen those pre-selected. I just tested this a few times by adding various items to the cart and clicking through to the shipping options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
As someone noted, maybe in another thread (I haven't tried this myself, having fortunately never accidentally or on purpose chosen to try Prime) you can't actually cancel Prime online until something like a day or two before you start getting billed for it.
That is definitely not true. You can cancel Prime online anytime after you sign upóimmediately afterward, if you want. If you've signed up for a 30-day free trial, then you still get your full 30 days even if you've cancelled. If your credit card has been billed, you can get an immediate cancellation with a full refund provided you haven't used the free-shipping benefit since the billing.

I know this because I've done it. I've had several free trials of Prime, and cancelled all of them weeks before the billing date. In one case I actually paid for a Prime membership in a moment of weakness; I cancelled it the next day and got a full refund.

I don't want to sound like an Amazon apologist, but some of the stuff in this thread is loopy.
  #31  
Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
That is definitely not true. You can cancel Prime online anytime after you sign upóimmediately afterward, if you want. If you've signed up for a 30-day free trial, then you still get your full 30 days even if you've cancelled. If your credit card has been billed, you can get an immediate cancellation with a full refund provided you haven't used the free-shipping benefit since the billing.
This works for their 'subscribe and save' as well. If you subscribe to the thing you're buying, you'll get a discount. Do that then cancel the subscription. I usually set the interval for the longest time allowed (6 months?) just so I can be on the safe side and cancel after it ships.
  #32  
Old 06-27-2018, 12:45 AM
actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,368
Amazon's entire philosophy is supposed to be about doing everything possible for the customer while screwing employees.
  #33  
Old 06-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Gatopescado is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
Amazon's entire philosophy is supposed to be about doing everything possible for the customer while screwing employees.
Goddamn, this was Radio Shack's business model, too.
  #34  
Old 06-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Sveltington is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 251
This happens to me also. The great Amazon shipping bait n' switch.
  #35  
Old 06-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Pammipoo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Then I tried to get a refund. It turns out I have to ship the broken thing back. Too bad I don't have a shipping department with an umbrella-shaped box in my home office. But! There was an option for "return in original packaging" with the added bonus, as stated right there in plain pixels, "No printer required!" Perfect, now I wouldn't have to go to all that trouble. Just stick it back in the beat-up box and voila. So I picked that option.



Whoops! Further intructions: "Pack securely and print out the label." Wait, I thought there was no printer required? Again, amazon lied to me.



.

There is typically a printing option where they can mail you a shipping label, I believe for $1?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #36  
Old 06-27-2018, 02:45 PM
xnylder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,060
I don't know if this is an issue with Amazon in other countries, but Amazon.ca is driving me up a wall with its shipping policies. It will never tell me HOW something is being shipped.
(Note that I work a day job and so am NEVER home to pick up packages.)

If they ship Canada Post, shipping to my home address is ideal. When I'm not there to receive the package, it gets brought to the nearest post office counter, which is open late and on weekends.

If they ship using a courier company, I have to get it sent to my company's shipping office, because otherwise when I don't accept it it'll get redirected to a depot out in the boonies. I don't do this by default because I don't work at that office and can't necessarily get there during office hours.

Occasionally I can use the "ship to a drop-off point" option to skip the home delivery charade and get it sent directly to a post office, but they refuse shipments for capricious and unexplained reasons. (For example, it seems nothing containing batteries is allowed.)

I don't have Prime and never ask for one- or two-day shipping. So why does Amazon "gift" me with unwanted courier service?
  #37  
Old 06-27-2018, 05:06 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 20,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Iíve never had any problem getting through to a live person when I have an Amazon issue. They have all been well-informed and empowered to offer help such as refunds and account credits. And they have all been fluent in American English. Usually I request that they call me and the callback always comes within a few seconds. Sometime I just donít feel like talking so I use the text-based chat. But this is one of the things that has always differentiated Amazon from the other large companies I do business with.
Same here.

I usually use the chat function and get a person in less than a minute.

I have always been amazed at how easy Amazon makes it to sort a problem. They never, ever seem in "find a way to screw the customer" and have always made it right.

It is the #1 reason I shop with them as much as I do. It seems everyone else makes it hard to do business with them. Amazon makes it easy.
  #38  
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 AM
kanicbird is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 19,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Iíve never had any problem getting through to a live person when I have an Amazon issue. They have all been well-informed and empowered to offer help such as refunds and account credits. And they have all been fluent in American English. Usually I request that they call me and the callback always comes within a few seconds. Sometime I just donít feel like talking so I use the text-based chat. But this is one of the things that has always differentiated Amazon from the other large companies I do business with.
I've noticed a difference between what person, or type of person, gets what type of help. I've seen IIRC a cNet page about this confirming my suspicions. Amazon has a customer rating system and if you score high from demographics (location, education, member of good standing, few returns) you get top tier support, and usually instant corrections to your favor, others get less levels of customer service.
  #39  
Old 02-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,707
[Moderating]

The spammer who bumped this has been nuked.
  #40  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Malleus, Incus, Stapes! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle ear
Posts: 6,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

The spammer who bumped this has been nuked.
Can we still complain about Amazon, though? I recently got charged over a hundred dollars for Prime because I clicked on the wrong shipping option.
  #41  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 AM
scr4 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alabama
Posts: 16,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
Can we still complain about Amazon, though? I recently got charged over a hundred dollars for Prime because I clicked on the wrong shipping option.
And what happened when you told them it was a mistake?
  #42  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnylder View Post
I don't know if this is an issue with Amazon in other countries, but Amazon.ca is driving me up a wall with its shipping policies. It will never tell me HOW something is being shipped.
(Note that I work a day job and so am NEVER home to pick up packages.)
Here in the US you can usually tell after it ships- the carrier is listed.

I doubt they show you ahead of time, because they probably want the ability to reserve the cheapest/most convenient method for your shipment, which would depend on a lot of factors we as consumers aren't privy to.
  #43  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM
xnylder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Here in the US you can usually tell after it ships- the carrier is listed.

I doubt they show you ahead of time, because they probably want the ability to reserve the cheapest/most convenient method for your shipment, which would depend on a lot of factors we as consumers aren't privy to.
I agree, they probably don't tell us so they can choose the cheapest method available that day with that particular parcel. But thank you for the tip about the carrier being listed. I hadn't noticed, but I just checked a shipping notice e-mail and found it in the small print.
  #44  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnylder View Post
I agree, they probably don't tell us so they can choose the cheapest method available that day with that particular parcel. But thank you for the tip about the carrier being listed. I hadn't noticed, but I just checked a shipping notice e-mail and found it in the small print.
You can also Google the tracking number and get a link to the tracking page.
  #45  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Batano is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Goddamn, this was Radio Shack's business model, too.
And they both want your zip code every time you buy something
  #46  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:51 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveltington View Post
This happens to me also. The great Amazon shipping bait n' switch.
I got caught by it. It was my fault for ordering while busy, and clicking on stuff too quickly. But I do wish they'd popped up a dialog box that said "WAIT! Do you realize this free shipping will enroll you in PRIME, and cost you a lot of money in the long run?"

But I called them and they immediately took the charge off. Almost as if they'd gotten hundreds of calls like mine...
  #47  
Old 08-19-2019, 05:49 AM
Filbert is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,608
We seem to get a variation on the UK site- instead of the 'Free 2 days shipping!' you just occasionally get a screen suggesting you sign up, when you've just picked your shipping options -which often includes a free several day shipping option- telling you you'd get 1 day free shipping with prime. The buttons at the bottom are worded something like [Tell me more!] and [Continue with free shipping]; [Continue with free shipping] signs you up, even if what you initially selected was multi-day free shipping. It's caught me before, as free shipping was what I'd selected, paying a subscription for my 'free' shipping was not the idea.

To not get signed up, you need to spot and click the teeny line of grey text underneath saying No thanks.

In fact, that one wound up really annoying, as the option I'd selected left it due to arrive on a day I was going to be in, whereas 'next day' was a day I was supposed to be elsewhere. I rescheduled, because I did need the item by the end of the week, but the courier failed to find the house (claimed no one had answered the doorbell; yeah, right). The company then wouldn't allow me to just go to the depot to collect the item, they'd only allow me to reschedule delivery, the delivery slots were stupid and there were none for the next day. In the end, it took me 5 days to get my 'next day' delivery.

The post office usually takes 2 days, the postie knows where the house is, and the office is just down the road to pick up items if I'm not in.
  #48  
Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,707
[Moderating]

Filbert didn't bump the thread, so spare him any zombie jokes. It was bumped by a now-eliminated spammer.
  #49  
Old 08-19-2019, 02:34 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,920
Her.
  #50  
Old 08-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Really Not All That Bright is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,210
My Prime membership is probably the best-value product or service I've ever bought. My only gripe with Amazon is that it's hard to manage third-party subscriptions (e.g., HBO for Amazon) from their website.
__________________
This can only end in tears.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 08-20-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017