Old 07-20-2019, 11:08 PM

Swine.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:19 PM

You mean I don't have to fastidiously avoid the Season 3 thread for a day after airing because of Hulu's baked-in delay?

Awesome.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I sure do love hearing people who probably pay $150 for cable whine about $6 for hulu.
I donít mind paying for it, but itís a commitment. When itís on my DVR itís there when Iím ready to watch. With Hulu, I imagine, Iíll have to figure out how to get it onto my TV, try to remember my log in info, and search Hulu for what I want to watch. Iíll probably do it, because I like the show, but itís going to be a pain in ass.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I donít mind paying for it, but itís a commitment. When itís on my DVR itís there when Iím ready to watch. With Hulu, I imagine, Iíll have to figure out how to get it onto my TV, try to remember my log in info, and search Hulu for what I want to watch. Iíll probably do it, because I like the show, but itís going to be a pain in ass.
Yep. It's not the $6, it is the PITA cost. If HULU was available on my cable (not even close to $150) I'd pay the $6.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

It's also the difference between free (as the show was available on the OTA Fox network) and the six bucks a month charge for Hulu. And for what? One show? Just about every streaming service (Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube Premium, Apple, Disney+, CBS All Access, Facebook Watch, etc) has one or more shows I might want to watch. That's all in addition to the shows on basic and premium cable, with supposedly over 500 shows available each year. No one has enough time to watch it all or can afford all of those subscriptions. So we're forced to make choices; what to pay for and what not to. What to watch and what not.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 07-21-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:11 PM

Pretty much all streaming services include a free 30 day trial, including hulu. For non-hulu subscribers, wait until a few weeks before the season 3 finale next year and sign up then, cancelling on day 29 after binging the whole season, no harm no foul.

That's what I'm doing in a couple weeks in order to binge all 3 seasons of The Handmaid's Tale. (The season 3 finale airs in late August.)

If you have never done any streaming, get a $30 roku. It's a one-time payment --no monthly fee at all -- is easy to use and offers basic hd streaming. (720 and 1080 supported.) There are free channels you can stream but they mostly suck.

This month I signed up for the free 30 days of netflix, intending to cancel on the 29th day, but unfortunately netflix is just too good so now I just consider it part of my cable bill. *sigh* Hopefully I can stick to the plan better with hulu.

My long-term plan is (was?) to sign up for one month each year to binge all the shows from the previous year, netflix in July and hulu in August, since there isn't much tv on in the summer anyway. If I weren't already a prime customer I would also sign up for Amazon prime each June. Unlike cable channel on-demand features, streaming services offer their entire catalogue of original shows at all times, so a month per year really can let you catch up on all the shows you want to watch.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

OK, that works, but it's a lot of trouble to go through; signing up for a streaming service and then having to make sure to cancel before the free trial expires.

Also, of course that means you can't talk about the show here or read the recaps and reviews as it airs.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 07-21-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:48 PM

Yep, agreed. Compared to just scheduling you DVR to record it on Fox, buying and setting up a roku and then signing up for a free trial and then remembering to cancel it is a massive pain in the ass. Not comparing it to your DVR, though, it's reasonably easy.

Off-topic, I've had prime for a few years just for the shipping. Last winter I finally decided to figure out how to stream on my tv, settling on a roku express ($30) since I don't have a 4k tv and $30 is cheap enough that I wouldn't much care if it didn't work. For the first six months I streamed almost nothing, and wasn't impressed the couple times I tried it. Then I decided on my "streaming summer" scheme, and decided to pretend I only had prime for June. That worked like gangbusters; I've been loving my first "streaming summer" so far and look forward to hulu in August.

Of all the many shows I've binged over the past couple months, my favorite by a mile has been Catastrophe on amazon.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I hate that cancel before xxx thing. One knitting company offered 4 mag subs at $2 for one year. AFTER you sub, you find out that yes, it is free for one year, but after that, you are auto- re-subbed at FULL price charged to your CC unless you cancel. I canceled as soon as i could, but you cant cancel that first week.

It's a scam of sorts.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
OK, that works, but it's a lot of trouble to go through; signing up for a streaming service and then having to make sure to cancel before the free trial expires.

Also, of course that means you can't talk about the show here or read the recaps and reviews as it airs.

Just keep in mind that the choice probably wasn't between The Orville Season 3 on Hulu or The Orville Season 3 on Fox, the choice probably was between The Orville season 3 on Hulu or The Orville being canceled. So glass half full.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
One knitting company offered 4 mag subs at $2 for one year. AFTER you sub, you find out that yes, it is free for one year, but after that, you are auto- re-subbed at FULL price charged to your CC unless you cancel.

Oh, what tangled web we knit when we pull this kind of shit.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Just keep in mind that the choice probably wasn't between The Orville Season 3 on Hulu or The Orville Season 3 on Fox, the choice probably was between The Orville season 3 on Hulu or The Orville being canceled. So glass half full.
But was it?

Orville has a dedicated fan base, not huge but dedicated.

ISTM that it is very possible that the decision was first to go with another season, and then the analysis that putting on Hulu would draw people to sign up who might not otherwise as the bigger benefit than its limited commercial interruptions were generating, just as CBS has placed its new Trek products on streaming only.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
But was it?

Orville has a dedicated fan base, not huge but dedicated.

ISTM that it is very possible that the decision was first to go with another season, and then the analysis that putting on Hulu would draw people to sign up who might not otherwise as the bigger benefit than its limited commercial interruptions were generating, just as CBS has placed its new Trek products on streaming only.

We get Star Trek: Discovery on the Space Channel in Canada. Not that I find it anywhere near as interesting as the Orville.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
You should be able do it at the same time you sign up for the service. You don't have to wait until day 29 out of 30. All you're doing is opting out of the auto-renew.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 PM

I think DSeid is probably right: they are trying to do the same thing as CBS did with Star Trek because the fan base is so dedicated they can make more money that way.

Quote:
I sure do love hearing people who probably pay $150 for cable whine about $6 for hulu.

I haven’t had cable or satellite since 2007, so do I get to complain? I watched this show live over the air using an indoor antenna.

For a few years now, I have been doing a version of what Ellis Dee describes. Each streaming service, including the ones for HBO and Showtime, gets a turn once or twice a year. (Soon the rotation will include Disney and Warner Bros. and maybe Apple, unless they just include it with the Apple Music I already pay for.) But I do enjoy talking about “Orville” episodes weekly, so that’s a bit of a problem. I will probably end up just shelling out for an extra couple months of Hulu next year so I can continue to engage that part of the experience.

I laughed. But I felt a little bad about it.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
You should be able do it at the same time you sign up for the service. You don't have to wait until day 29 out of 30. All you're doing is opting out of the auto-renew.

As someone with a lot of experience with this, as described above, I can tell you that this is true for most services but not all. I wish I could remember which was which, but there are at least one or two that stop working the moment you cancel.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 07-21-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
For me, it's it's another reason I really should just cancel or at least downgrade my cable and just subscribe to Hulu in addition to the other streaming services I already subscribe to. With each passing year I watch more and more on Netflix and Amazon and less on actual broadcast TV. The Orville was one of the few things I still watched on broadcast TV.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
For me, it's it's another reason I really should just cancel or at least downgrade my cable and just subscribe to Hulu in addition to the other streaming services I already subscribe to. With each passing year I watch more and more on Netflix and Amazon and less on actual broadcast TV. The Orville was one of the few things I still watched on broadcast TV.
I did this a couple of years ago and haven't regretted it. In addition to watching over-the-air content, I stream Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Now. I've been considering subscribing to Hulu, too, because of some other shows they have, so this is just added incentive. I'm still saving a lot of money compared to when I paid for cable TV.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I dunno, they had announced back in May that it had been renewed for Season 3 on FOX, so I think the ratings were good enough. It's possible the powers that be may have been having second thoughts but I'd bet there's another reason behind the switch.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

Fox is getting away from scripted dramas in general, it doesn't fit with their new philosophy.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Once upon a time, there was this service where you could find shows from every network in existence. This service would give you a box which aggregated all of these networks, would let you search for shows you wanted, would let you record those shows for later viewing, and would let you stream many/most of them on-demand.

that service was called "cable."

but now, thanks to smug "cord cutters," the networks realized they could try to get a bigger piece of the pie by pulling their shows back and starting their own streaming services. We should have seen this Balkanization coming a mile away, but apparently not. I just did a quick check, and to cover the major studios and add Sling so I can watch Red Wings games (basically what I can do with cable right now) per month it would cost me $20 less than the TV/movie portion of my cable bill.

Whoop-de-friggin-do.

So before you sit there cackling about people "whining" over "$6/month" from Hulu, just remember these networks aren't making it (initially) cheaper out of the goodness of their hearts. They'll start ratcheting up monthly fees to whenever they see fit. I don't know if it qualifies as "rent seeking" but all I know is they'll get their money out of you one way or another.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Once upon a time, there was this service where you could find shows from every network in existence. This service would give you a box which aggregated all of these networks, would let you search for shows you wanted, would let you record those shows for later viewing, and would let you stream many/most of them on-demand.

that service was called "cable."

but now, thanks to smug "cord cutters," the networks realized they could try to get a bigger piece of the pie by pulling their shows back and starting their own streaming services. We should have seen this Balkanization coming a mile away, but apparently not. I just did a quick check, and to cover the major studios and add Sling so I can watch Red Wings games (basically what I can do with cable right now) per month it would cost me $20 less than the TV/movie portion of my cable bill.

Whoop-de-friggin-do.

So before you sit there cackling about people "whining" over "$6/month" from Hulu, just remember these networks aren't making it (initially) cheaper out of the goodness of their hearts. They'll start ratcheting up monthly fees to whenever they see fit. I don't know if it qualifies as "rent seeking" but all I know is they'll get their money out of you one way or another.
Whateves. I pay a fraction of what I used to pay for cable. And the service is TEN times better than what I ever got with cable. Also, the user interface is way better than anything cable.

If all this means network execs are getting rich because of it; so be it.

ETA: Have fun paying for all those channels you never watch.

Last edited by Grrr!; 07-22-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Also, the user interface is way better than anything cable.
Strongly disagree. I find the FF and rewind features on my cable dvr (and cable on-demand) to be infinitely preferable to either the amazon or netflix methods, which still feel clunky and awkward to me.

I also strongly prefer the "info" feature on cable to netflix: While watching cable, if I hit the info button, I get the title, season/episode (if a tv show) or year (if movie), plus a fairly lengthy description of the episode/movie, and the show doesn't stop playing while this info is displayed.

For netflix, hitting "info" (really the back button) stops the show from playing and brings me to a different info screen where I can see a very short description. Not as good. Especially because there's no other way to see what episode you're on while binging, so I find myself pausing into the info screen after every time I choose to "start next episode" just so I know where I am. It's irritating.

In fairness, amazon prime's info is the best of all, so it isn't strictly a streaming vs cable thing. Amazon prime brings up the title info without pausing, but then further it has the "x-ray" feature where it lists the actors on the screen in that particular scene. You can then select an actor if you want to see their IMDb info. It's ridiculously awesome. You can further see a more complete list of the cast and get their info if you want.

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to see cast info beyond the top 2 or 3 stars in either netflix or cable, so on that score amazon is miles ahead of the others.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 07-22-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fox is getting away from scripted dramas in general, it doesn't fit with their new philosophy.
One reason they're going to air fewer scripted shows (not just dramas) is that Fox 21 Television Studios is now a division of Disney. The economics of television today make it hard to make money on a show unless it's produced in-house.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
ETA: Have fun paying for all those channels you never watch.
like paying for all of those shows you don't watch on your streaming services?
Old 07-22-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I just did a quick check, and to cover the major studios and add Sling so I can watch Red Wings games (basically what I can do with cable right now) per month it would cost me $20 less than the TV/movie portion of my cable bill.

Whoop-de-friggin-do.
So the same stuff at a savings of 240 bucks a year? That sounds pretty great to me.

Cord-cutting isn't about matching "basically what I can do with cable right now," though. That's how the cable companies get you to stick around, by throwing 300 channels at you that you never actually use.

My current expenses are:

Hulu: 12 bucks a month. Could be 6, but I like the ad-free version.
Netflix: 13 bucks a month. Could be 9, but I like the HD streaming.
Antenna for broadcast television: 0 bucks a month.

A "basic cable" package from my local grifters is 88 bucks a month, and is of course missing content that I get from Hulu and Netflix. A package that covered all non-original content from my current services would be much more than that.

This isn't about being smug, it's about not being held hostage to cable companies who want me to pay for 200 channels even if I only want to watch 10 of them. There is no world, no combination of channels and packages, where traditional cable would be cheaper for me than simply purchasing what I want, a la carte, from various streaming services.

And why would I not want to save money? Even a "whoop-de-friggin-doo" twenty bucks a month?

Quote:
like paying for all of those shows you don't watch on your streaming services?
Paying 15-25 dollars a month for a bunch of shows I don't watch makes worlds more sense, to me, than paying $90-150 dollars a month for a bunch of channels I don't watch.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Paying 15-25 dollars a month for a bunch of shows I don't watch makes worlds more sense, to me, than paying $90-150 dollars a month for a bunch of channels I don't watch.
Also, having the entire library of shows like Star Trek (Tv and Movies), Twilight Zone, Nature docs, etc... makes it worth it to me. Even if they never added new content, I'd probably still pay the monthly fee. Lol
Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 AM
SDSAB

Sorry to hear Orville is making the move to Hulu; I'll try to keep up. Looks like it'll be late next year: https://tvline.com/2019/07/20/the-or...-date-delayed/
Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Here's what Seth said at Comic Con when he made the announcement that it was moving to Hulu:
"The Orville has been a labor of love for me, and there are two companies which have supported that vision in a big way: 20th Century Fox Television, where I've had a deal since the start of my career, and FOX Broadcasting Company, now FOX Entertainment, which has been my broadcast home for over 20 years. My friends at the network understood what I was trying to do with this series, and they've done a spectacular job of marketing, launching and programming it for these past two seasons. But as the show has evolved and become more ambitious production-wise, I determined that I would not be able to deliver episodes until 2020, which would be challenging for the network. So we began to discuss how best to support the third season in a way that worked for the show. It's exactly this kind of willingness to accommodate a show's creative needs that's made me want to stick around for so long. I am hugely indebted to Charlie Collier and FOX Entertainment for their generosity and look forward to developing future projects there. And to my new friends at Hulu, I look forward to our new partnership exploring the galaxy together."
Old 07-22-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

For the record I also pay $0 in cable. I have Netflix and OTA. I did subscribe to HBO Now for the final season of GOT (with the free week, I paid for one month to see all the episodes "live')
The thing with cable is you pay AND get commercials. With Netflix and HBO I paid but no commercials. With OTA it is free but commercials.
The $11.99 Hulu doesn't have commercials, but I'll probably pass

Brian
Old 08-31-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I signed up for Hulu on August 2nd, and watched everything I wanted to from it (except some very long network sitcoms, like Community) and cancelled it yesterday.

When I went to cancel it yesterday, the account page said the next payment was due September 2nd. Cool, I thought, I'll have Hulu until Monday. I went ahead and cancelled it, remembering your post here, thinking about whether I'd watch any Hulu this weekend.

After cancelling, I no longer have access to Hulu. It's possible I'm doing something wrong, but I would've been super pissed if I cancelled on day 2 and didn't get my free month at all.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
As someone with a lot of experience with this, as described above, I can tell you that this is true for most services but not all. I wish I could remember which was which, but there are at least one or two that stop working the moment you cancel.

I guess we now know that at least one of them is Hulu.