Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Babale is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I understand that. I just don’t see how it’s productive to employ dehumanizing language that targets folks that tens of millions have voted for relatively recently. It just leads to an environment where folks on the receiving end want to dish out in kind. So call Bush a chimp? Fine. Call Ms. Clinton a harpy? Well that’s misogynistic!

That’s the inconsistency that I personally do not like.
"Harpies" are screeching monsters from Greek mythology, half woman and half bird. They're associated with a negative view of women -- calling Clinton a "Harpy" is specifically an attack on her gender (and negative stereotypes associated with it, like being "screechy" or "bitchy"). That association doesn't exist for Bush and Chimps. Yes, the idea is to 1) make fun of Bush's own, individual appearance (harrdeehar, he has big ears!) And 2) insult his intelligence. Juvenile? Yes. Offensive? Not so much.

To test this theory -- what if you called Hillary something else? What if you called her a baboon, for example? I doubt anyone would take offense. But "Harpy" for Hillary is a charged term. Can you call Bush a Harpy? Sure, you can. You can call Obama a harpy, too. But while you're welcome to call Hillary or Bush a chimp, you shouldn't call Obama one...

The point is, context matters! A lot!

Last edited by Babale; 08-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.
  #252  
Old 08-19-2019, 02:18 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
"Harpies" are screeching monsters from Greek mythology, half woman and half bird. They're associated with a negative view of women -- calling Clinton a "Harpy" is specifically an attack on her gender (and negative stereotypes associated with it, like being "screechy" or "bitchy"). That association doesn't exist for Bush and Chimps. Yes, the idea is to 1) make fun of Bush's own, individual appearance (harrdeehar, he has big ears!) And 2) insult his intelligence. Juvenile? Yes. Offensive? Not so much.

To test this theory -- what if you called Hillary something else? What if you called her a baboon, for example? I doubt anyone would take offense. But "Harpy" for Hillary is a charged term. Can you call Bush a Harpy? Sure, you can. You can call Obama a harpy, too. But while you're welcome to call Hillary or Bush a chimp, you shouldn't call Obama one...

The point is, context matters! A lot!
This shouldn't need explaining. But you're attempting to explain it to someone who is dumber than a burlap sack of wet hair. So I suspect your efforts are in vain.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #253  
Old 08-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I understand that. I just donít see how itís productive to employ dehumanizing language that targets folks that tens of millions have voted for relatively recently. It just leads to an environment where folks on the receiving end want to dish out in kind. So call Bush a chimp? Fine. Call Ms. Clinton a harpy? Well thatís misogynistic!

Thatís the inconsistency that I personally do not like.
What inconsistency? Has anyone been prevented from calling H. Clinton a harpy? I did a search for all thread reports containing the word "harpy". There were 5 such reports, and two of them had to do with Game of Thrones because the episode title was "Sons of the Harpy". The others had nothing to do with the use of the word "harpy".

It's a childish insult to label H. Clinton as a harpy, but it's not against any rule per se. It's a childish insult to label Bush 43 as a chimp, but it's not against any rule per se.

Personally, I find most of your oeurvre of criticism to be misplaced, or based on false equivalencies and equivocation.
  #254  
Old 08-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Babale is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
This shouldn't need explaining. But you're attempting to explain it to someone who is dumber than a burlap sack of wet hair. So I suspect your efforts are in vain.
I doubt he's stupid, but I also doubt the choice of "harpy" as Clinton's insult was coincidental.
  #255  
Old 08-19-2019, 02:48 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,759
I remember the Obamas being called chimps, but not so much GWB.

Oc, it would actually be more poignant if you used an example that was from this year. This is a different society than 10 years ago.
  #256  
Old 08-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Babale is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I remember the Obamas being called chimps, but not so much GWB.

Oc, it would actually be more poignant if you used an example that was from this year. This is a different society than 10 years ago.
GWB was definitely called a chimp very often; not necessarily on message boards, but shirts depicting Bush's face (and ears) on a chimp were very common, as were "evolution" shirts showing Bush as the predecessor to Gibbons.

I didn't know anyone who called Obama a chimp, but I'm sure it did happen -- I just wasn't friends with anyone quite that racist.
  #257  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
GWB was definitely called a chimp very often; not necessarily on message boards, but shirts depicting Bush's face (and ears) on a chimp were very common, as were "evolution" shirts showing Bush as the predecessor to Gibbons.

I didn't know anyone who called Obama a chimp, but I'm sure it did happen -- I just wasn't friends with anyone quite that racist.
I remember Bush being compared often to ďCurious GeorgeĒ due also to the coincidence of his name.

http://www.indranet.com/potpourri/hu...usgeorgew.html

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/5680433152/h4796F372/1

I donít recall many comparisons of Obama to a chimp, because I donít frequent web sites like Stormfront, but there was this unfortunate cartoon:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-cartoon-race
  #258  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Stupident with a soupÁon of conspiracy theory. Constupident?
Just use Republican. It fits the same and is easier to say.
  #259  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:30 PM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
There are still plenty of matters of opinion on which Dopers actively disagree all the time. But just because blatant ignorance and idiocy are becoming more socially acceptable in the Trump era doesn't obligate us at the Dope to be "welcoming" to them. Continuing to be an echo chamber of consensus on the issue of condemning blatant ignorance and idiocy is something we ought to aspire to, not lament.
I'm not necessarily talking about Trump-era idiocy. I'm talking more about garden-variety political disagreements- the role of government, property rights vs. public good, defense spending vs. social programs, etc...

NONE of those things are fixed in stone, ignorant or idiotic, on either side.

But the progressive side has basically reframed the debate around here such that disagreeing with the party line about say... defense spending, and the debate takes on the feel that they're trying to fight your ignorance.

Which is shit in the context of fighting ignorance. It's ok, I suppose in the context of a hard-left political message board, but not in somewhere that's supposed to basically argue it out and fight ignorance on both sides through that argument.

And I want to point out that I'm neither particularly conservative nor authoritarian on any of those various online tests that exist, and I think the Republican Party has gone off the rails hard in at least the past couple of decades, if not longer. I'm more moderate and centrist than anything else, and I frequently feel rather unwelcome here because I question the "accepted wisdom".

More often than not, I just don't engage when I disagree, because I don't feel like arguing with a half dozen snarky and smug people about something. And who won't listen or even entertain the thought that others may have equally valid points about stuff that they may disagree with.
  #260  
Old 08-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
The problem is that there's a certain segment around here who has basically inserted their own values for the board's collective values, in large part, and disagreeing with this takes on a moral value- you're not coming from a different perspective, you're coming from a WRONG perspective. You'll get pilloried, even though what you're saying is totally a matter of opinion and not science.

That, I think is the biggest threat around here- its transformation into one of those echo chambers we all like to decry is nearly complete. IMO, we'd be better off with a large and vital intelligent conservative contingent- both sides would be forced to examine and possibly reevaluate their positions.
Okay.

Find 'em.

Where are they, this mythical "intelligent conservative contingent"?

Are they hanging out with the Heartland Institute, a group that denies climate change and was previously pushing to turn back the clock on tobacco?

Maybe they're out with Ben Shapiro, who can't remember a single "significant" republican in the last decade who was a birther, apparently missing the current president.

Ooh, have you checked the folks in the streets of Portland, wearing neo-nazi LARP gear and trying to start riots?

How about those lovely folks who chanted "send her back" at a Trump rally?

The high water mark to date is Bricker, who was smart but also a dishonest shitbag whose reaction to widespread voter suppression boiled down to "Yeah, well, you can't stop us, so neener neener". Smart, maybe, but a gigantic fucking asshole who very often argued entirely on self-interest.

The "smart" conservatives are the ones who know that what they're doing is wrong and do it anyways because they really love their tax cuts and think they're going to be able to ride out the rest of their lives without climate change biting them in the ass. Everyone else is, in one way or another, deeply fucking deluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I'm not necessarily talking about Trump-era idiocy. I'm talking more about garden-variety political disagreements- the role of government, property rights vs. public good, defense spending vs. social programs, etc...

NONE of those things are fixed in stone, ignorant or idiotic, on either side.

But the progressive side has basically reframed the debate around here such that disagreeing with the party line about say... defense spending, and the debate takes on the feel that they're trying to fight your ignorance.
I dunno, we were having a pretty reasonable discussion about minimum wage and the effects of its increase, albeit one fairly short in the tooth on solid evidence for many of the claims made. It isn't exactly a liberal scoldfest in there, it's mostly talking about what effect the minimum wage has. Yeah, I get pretty pissy about low-quality arguments and evidence, but in that case it is actually an issue of fighting ignorance, not some moral badgering.

Basically, do you have some examples of what you're talking about? Because most of what I've seen is that on subjects where there is reasonable disagreement, reasonable disagreement is generally had.

The problem is that there is a (disturbingly growing) field of the overton window where there simply is no reasonable disagreement, and the right is on the wrong side of almost every one of those issues.

Nazis are bad.
Climate change is real and a serious problem.
Trade wars are not "easy to win".
Concentration camps are bad.
Trump is an embarrassment on the world stage that it will take the USA decades to recover from.
Antifa is not a domestic terrorist group.
Tax cuts for the rich during an economic boom time are not sound economic policy.
Major tech industry players are not "in the tank" for the democrats.
A 10-year-old Somalian refugee growing up to become a congresswoman is an example of an immigration success story, not of failure.
<Insert whatever lunacy Alex Jones is screeching about today here.>

And yeah, if you wanna bring up that shit, you're going to get your ignorance fought. And it's going to sound partisan and shrill, because intentional ignorance and insane conspiracy-mongering are largely a partisan phenomenon at this point. Democrats are not going to look at major news reports that look bad for them and instinctively scream "FAKE NEWS", while here on the board, we literally have people saying that the concentration camps at the border are just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I'm aware of some of the reports of conditions in the "camps". I don't generally find those sources terribly credible. I think they, like you, have an agenda they're propagandizing for and pushing, and they'll pick a couple of anecdotes and try to pretend / imply that those exceptions represent conditions generally.
What do you expect? I mean, honestly?
  #261  
Old 08-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I'm not necessarily talking about Trump-era idiocy. I'm talking more about garden-variety political disagreements- the role of government, property rights vs. public good, defense spending vs. social programs, etc...

NONE of those things are fixed in stone, ignorant or idiotic, on either side.

But the progressive side has basically reframed the debate around here such that disagreeing with the party line about say... defense spending, and the debate takes on the feel that they're trying to fight your ignorance.
Got a cite for any specific example(s) of this? Because I personally haven't encountered a recent thread on, say, defense spending, nor do I think of it as a subject about which rational people can't disagree.

Last edited by Kimstu; 08-19-2019 at 08:11 PM.
  #262  
Old 08-19-2019, 08:42 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Nazis are bad.

Full stop. Today's Nazis are nothing but bad. It's not like 1930s & 1940s Germany where people were required to be in the NAZI party for certain things. Today's Nazis are in it because of the white supremacy and anti-Semitism, period.

Quote:
Trade wars are not "easy to win".

And starting one is completely stupid.

Quote:
Concentration camps are bad.

Also, "Concentration camp" DOES NOT EQUAL "Death camp". What we have under Trump absolutely are concentration camps. What's worse, the current administration is (or was, I'm a bit behind with the news at the moment) trying to get the courts to approve running the camps in a cruel manner.

Quote:
Trump is an embarrassment on the world stage that it will take the USA decades to recover from.

If ever. I fear it's actually gotten that bad.

Quote:
A 10-year-old Somalian refugee growing up to become a congresswoman is an example of an immigration success story, not of failure.

Exactly right. And telling her to "go back where she came from" is nothing but anti-American bigotry. Couple the fact that she's Black and telling other Blacks to "go back where they came from" is not only anti-American bigotry, it's dismissing the suffering that their ancestors experienced and that Blacks today continue to experience. It's also completely ignoring the simple fact that Blacks around the country still experience bigots telling them to "go back to Africa if you don't like it here" or "you should be glad you're here because your ancestors were brought from Africa", etc.

Today's Republic Party has abandoned any pretense whatsoever of adhering to what we used to call "American Ideals". They're simply craven.

Last edited by Monty; 08-19-2019 at 08:46 PM.
  #263  
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 PM
Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
It's quite simple, really, and is something you should've figured out by 3rd grade, 8th at the latest:

Donald Trump is an asshole. Everyone agrees he's an asshole, and nobody bothers to defend the asshole. By his very nature, he invites abuse, and therefore is worthy of every bit of scorn we can put on his fat ass, his ridiculous hair, his obvious incestuous feelings for his daughter, his pouty whiny baby lips... all of it is fair game.

And why? Why is he so special?

For this.

So fuck this guy, and fuck everybody who defends him and comes here whining like a little bitch saying "OH, POOR DONNIES TRUMPS GOTZ BODY SHAMED ON THE DOPERS, THATS SO MEAN, GUYS!"
I'll buck the trend of this thread and say that body shaming is wrong, even when it's directed at Trump. He is an odious, hateful man, undeserving of, and unqualified for the office of president. It's tempting to direct any conceivable insult his way. That's when it's most important to hold on to principles; when it would be so easy to overlook them just this once.

I can still criticize his behavior, his morals, his ethics, and his performance as president. That's enough for me.
  #264  
Old 08-19-2019, 09:03 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Got a cite for any specific example(s) of this? Because I personally haven't encountered a recent thread on, say, defense spending, nor do I think of it as a subject about which rational people can't disagree.
For real? There is a current thread in GD equating right wing folks with racists. Or those that support gun rights as racists. The board isn't very open towards conservatives or right leaning views at all. This isn't helped by the fact that so many conservative arguments are often presented poorly.
  #265  
Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 PM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,173
hey great ATMB thread so far.
  #266  
Old 08-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
For real? There is a current thread in GD equating right wing folks with racists. Or those that support gun rights as racists.
I repeat: Cite? Exactly what rhetoric are you pointing to in support of claims that the Dope has become an undifferentiated "echo chamber" on matters of opinion?

Presumably you're not complaining merely because some posters express opinions equating right-wingers or gun-rights supporters with racists, since those are, after all, matters of opinion.
  #267  
Old 08-19-2019, 10:16 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
The board isn't very open towards conservatives or right leaning views at all. This isn't helped by the fact that so many conservative arguments are often presented poorly.
Well, if people trying to defend conservative and right-leaning viewpoints are making poor arguments, they can't really expect rational people to be "open" to that.

Remember back fifteen years ago or so when everybody was always scolding the general category of "moderate Muslims" for not doing a better job of policing and restraining the loony extremists on "their side"? Maybe we should be getting after the "moderate conservatives" for letting their own loony extremists get so carried away with ignorance, irrationality and idiocy. Because as it stands, not only do "moderate conservatives" seem to feel they have no responsibility in that direction, but they're getting sore at non-conservatives for pointing out that their loony extremists are making them look bad.
  #268  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
I repeat: Cite? Exactly what rhetoric are you pointing to in support of claims that the Dope has become an undifferentiated "echo chamber" on matters of opinion?

Presumably you're not complaining merely because some posters express opinions equating right-wingers or gun-rights supporters with racists, since those are, after all, matters of opinion.
First - I'm not complaining. You asked for an example and I gave you one. Second - It's not in support of the echo chamber claim - just that there's a reason why some conservatives may decide engaging just isn't worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Well, if people trying to defend conservative and right-leaning viewpoints are making poor arguments, they can't really expect rational people to be "open" to that.

Remember back fifteen years ago or so when everybody was always scolding the general category of "moderate Muslims" for not doing a better job of policing and restraining the loony extremists on "their side"? Maybe we should be getting after the "moderate conservatives" for letting their own loony extremists get so carried away with ignorance, irrationality and idiocy. Because as it stands, not only do "moderate conservatives" seem to feel they have no responsibility in that direction, but they're getting sore at non-conservatives for pointing out that their loony extremists are making them look bad.
This is probably more of a pet peeve for me. You're engaging with individuals. But you're switching from the individual to the general. Sure, the sentiment you identify was espoused, and probably still is. That has about zero to do with the individuals that are in this discussion. Oh but conservatives this, liberals that, progressives this, Republicans that. It's pretty tedious. Once that happens I usually check out.
  #269  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:26 PM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,649
Why does I get teh feels that we ain't gonna get no links to theses awful threads?

CMC fnord!
  #270  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
Why does I get teh feels that we ain't gonna get no links to theses awful threads?

CMC fnord!
Because it's a dishonest request. Reading a sample of the any portion of the forum that deals with politics is all the evidence you need. What's the point in linking a thread or 100 and saying here you go when the only thing that will accomplish is endless nitpicking on what exactly is being conveyed with quite a bit of disingenuous descriptions of what is clearly written. C'mon now!
  #271  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:46 PM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
{...} quite a bit of disingenuous descriptions of what is clearly written. {...}
Why, yes, exactly!
That's why "There is a current thread in GD equating right wing folks with racists." isn't as good as an actual link!

CMC fnord!
  #272  
Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 AM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
And now you think my pointing out the flaw in your logic somehow counts as "racist" or "sexist"? Look, Ale, while it's certainly true that you're not much of a thinker, that has nothing to do with your being white or male, and I would never suggest that it did. White people and male people are not intrinsically dumber than anyone else (except sometimes about some issues involving racism or sexism, but that's a form of culturally indoctrinated obliviousness rather than natural stupidity).
Virtue signalling, self hating, racist statements by white people are practically in the definition of wokeness.
You hand wave away racism when it's done the "right" way, I don't because I have principles and one of those is to not indulge in prejudice which you have done over and over again as shown last time, while in your apparent habit of going around yapping at my ankles, you had your ass handed back and only succeeded in laying bare your prejudicial nature, hypocrisy and lack of self awareness.
  #273  
Old 08-20-2019, 01:36 AM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I find it productive to engage with those I disagree with. It helps me grow as a person.
"Grow as a person"? What are you, some kind of fucking saguaro?
  #274  
Old 08-20-2019, 01:38 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
"Grow as a person"? What are you, some kind of fucking saguaro?

Well, he is prickly.
  #275  
Old 08-20-2019, 04:22 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
For real? There is a current thread in GD equating right wing folks with racists. Or those that support gun rights as racists. The board isn't very open towards conservatives or right leaning views at all. This isn't helped by the fact that so many conservative arguments are often presented poorly.
What threads are you referring to? I looked at the top dozen or so in GD and I couldn't figure out which ones you meant.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #276  
Old 08-20-2019, 07:02 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
What threads are you referring to? I looked at the top dozen or so in GD and I couldn't figure out which ones you meant.
Undoubtedly this one.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #277  
Old 08-20-2019, 12:00 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
For real? There is a current thread in GD equating right wing folks with racists. Or those that support gun rights as racists. The board isn't very open towards conservatives or right leaning views at all. This isn't helped by the fact that so many conservative arguments are often presented poorly.
This is ridiculous and insulting to good faith liberal posters. And you are owning yourself.

So the reason I was unable to make my point effectively and with finality was just that the arguer on the other side was impaired, and unable to rise to the intellectual occasion? The dog ate his argument? Then why did you become a mod if they are helpless and need you so badly?

Why don't you light a few candles instead of cursing the darkness? The first step is to get introspective on why those arguments are failing. You could even do it in one of those horrible anti con threads. You can do whatever you want. Are you afraid you will appear weak?

The next step, I predict, is that the reasons those arguments are inferior have to do with the validity of the arguments, and not the competency of the posters. Whether that's true or not, some basic respect for those trying in good faith to make arguments for progressive advance is really missing.

"Bad arguments" is really the end of the issue and nobody should be griping.
  #278  
Old 08-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Oh but conservatives this, liberals that, progressives this, Republicans that. It's pretty tedious. Once that happens I usually check out.
Sure doesn't stop you when one of our resident Second Amendment "defenders" starts screeching "LIBRULS WANNA TAKE OUR GUNZ!"

Which is about as accurate as your

Quote:
For real? There is a current thread in GD equating right wing folks with racists. Or those that support gun rights as racists.
  #279  
Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Scumpup is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Sure doesn't stop you when one of our resident Second Amendment "defenders" starts screeching "LIBRULS WANNA TAKE OUR GUNZ!"

Which is about as accurate as your
The scare quotes really made your point. Bravo.
  #280  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:05 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
You hand wave away racism when it's done the "right" way
You haven't yet managed to explain why you think the statement you were apparently complaining about is actually racist at all. I repeat: What do you think the statement "I'd just as soon see white guys all go back to where they came from", posted by a white guy, even means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale
I don't because I have principles and one of those is to not indulge in prejudice which you have done over and over again as shown last time, while in your apparent habit of going around yapping at my ankles, you had your ass handed back
Uh, you were actually the one who subsequently had your ass handed to you in that exchange, beginning with this statement:
Quote:
I am happy to apologize for initially mistaking you for an American, but none of your other criticisms of what I posted are valid.
And you're being rather excessively sensitive if you consider that my very rare replies to your posts constitute "going around yapping at [your] ankles". How many posts have you made on these boards in the last couple of months, and how many of them have I responded to? Those must be some awfully delicate ankles you've got there.
  #281  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
First - I'm not complaining. You asked for an example and I gave you one. Second - It's not in support of the echo chamber claim - just that there's a reason why some conservatives may decide engaging just isn't worth it.
But again, exactly what rhetoric are you citing as your "example"? You haven't even clearly identified what GD thread you were referring to, much less which specific post(s) you think constitute "a reason why some conservatives may decide engaging just isn't worth it".

I mean, if you're going to flounce out of an entire thread just because a few posters make unflattering generalizations about your ideology, that's your right, but I don't think you're being all that oppressed.
  #282  
Old 08-20-2019, 10:31 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
I mean, if you're going to flounce out of an entire thread just because a few posters make unflattering generalizations about your ideology, that's your right, but I don't think you're being all that oppressed.
Honestly, the vast majority of the regular posters on this board would do the same if they didnít think that they had the vast left wing gang on this board to support them.

This board is extremely and openly biased toward the left. I personally donít think thatís good or bad, it just is. Iím a moderate myself and I love this board and the discussions, and most of you folks.

I donít see the board dying any time soon. Itís my favorite discussion place on the web.
  #283  
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Honestly, the vast majority of the regular posters on this board would do the same if they didn’t think that they had the vast left wing gang on this board to support them.
In that hypothetical situation about the hypothetical actions of unidentified people hypothetically basing their behavior on their hypothetical beliefs about other posters, I wouldn't view them as being all that oppressed, either.

Last edited by Kimstu; 08-20-2019 at 10:45 PM.
  #284  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:07 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
In that hypothetical situation about the hypothetical actions of unidentified people hypothetically basing their behavior on their hypothetical beliefs about other posters, I wouldn't view them as being all that oppressed, either.
I assume you mean that hypothetically.
  #285  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 PM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
You haven't yet managed to explain why you think the statement you were apparently complaining about is actually racist at all. I repeat: What do you think the statement "I'd just as soon see white guys all go back to where they came from", posted by a white guy, even means?


Uh, you were actually the one who subsequently had your ass handed to you in that exchange, beginning with this statement:


And you're being rather excessively sensitive if you consider that my very rare replies to your posts constitute "going around yapping at [your] ankles". How many posts have you made on these boards in the last couple of months, and how many of them have I responded to? Those must be some awfully delicate ankles you've got there.
If you need to have it explained to you why the statement "I'd just as soon see white guys all go back to where they came from" is racist either you are A) dumber than a box of rocks or B) deliberately disingenuous as a way to save face.
Either way it shows that there's nothing of value in engaging you, other than exposing your deficiencies, but I have better things to do than that.
  #286  
Old 08-21-2019, 01:52 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
If you need to have it explained to you why the statement "I'd just as soon see white guys all go back to where they came from" is racist either you are A) dumber than a box of rocks or B) deliberately disingenuous as a way to save face.

The alternative to this is what's known as C) Reality.

Now, someone shouting at random white folks to "Go back to Europe" is racist. The comment "I would just as soon see white guys go back to where they come from" is not racist; it's making a point about the racism of telling Blacks and other non-white people to "Go back where you came from" even if the target's family has been in the United States for centuries, likely longer than the racist's family has.
  #287  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM
LAZombie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Duly noted that you are certifiably incapable to deal with the shitty sources you use. On edit: Same to the Octopus.

As for your also stupid complain here, what iiandyiii and Babale said, and I have to add: Anyone that gets to influence or intimidate his doctors to get dubious seals of approval, get what he deserves when he also shames his own followers that then forget the insult or even ask for more of that shame, not less.
Just because Trump invites body shaming insults does not mean you should have the right to use them on this board. But that's not up to me to decide.
  #288  
Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZombie View Post
Just because Trump invites body shaming insults does not mean you should have the right to use them on this board. But that's not up to me to decide.
Can you imagine Trump attempting exercise? Like something extreme, oh, a jog around the block? Or walking on his own two out of shape legs for a few holes on a golf course? The man is a shining model of fitness. When the so-called president apologizes to the people he's made fun of, out of nothing more than their appearance, I'll stop calling him a fat orange lazy slob. Shit, he called out one of his own supporters last week to "get some exercise". Fuck him. Of course, Trump only did that because he was wrong again, thought the guy was not a supporter.

Last edited by bobot; 08-21-2019 at 10:12 AM.
  #289  
Old 08-21-2019, 10:37 AM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZombie View Post
Just because Trump invites body shaming insults does not mean you should have the right to use them on this board. But that's not up to me to decide.
Noted again that you can not acknowledge when your sources pull your leg.

And as for your, yet another, dumb reply here: Yes, I have the right to do so, although I do not use it as often with the Agent Orange* that we have as president.










* His choice of color, although I can say that he may have a reason:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jenlewis/th...4r4#.nevWl7rKr
  #290  
Old 08-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,648
Guys?

Body shaming? Kinda shitty, maybe stop doing it.
  #291  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Guys?

Body shaming? Kinda shitty, maybe stop doing it.
It's called "pointing out hypocrisy", which is kind of hard to do if you can't show how he is being hypocritical.
  #292  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
If you need to have it explained to you why the statement "I'd just as soon see white guys all go back to where they came from" is racist
Specifically, when posted by a white guy. What does it even mean for "all white guys" to "go back to where they came from"? The leitmotif of white nationalism is basically that all the white guys already are "where they came from" in the sense of where they're entitled to be, and it's all the other "invaders"/"intruders" who need to "go back". So when a white guy says that he'd like "all white guys" to "go back to where they came from", it reads as...

...(prepare to have your mind blown)...

...a joke making fun of white nationalism. (As Monty already intelligently explained.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale
Either way it shows that there's nothing of value in engaging you, other than exposing your deficiencies, but I have better things to do than that.
Well, for someone who claims to have better things to do than responding to me, you sure are doing quite a bit of responding to me.
  #293  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:17 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Guys?

Body shaming? Kinda shitty, maybe stop doing it.
If Trump has a body capable of being shamed, he can take his own freely dispensed advise and get off of his lazy ass and get some exercise.
  #294  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 AM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Honestly, the vast majority of the regular posters on this board would do the same if they didnít think that they had the vast left wing gang on this board to support them.

This board is extremely and openly biased toward the left. I personally donít think thatís good or bad, it just is. Iím a moderate myself and I love this board and the discussions, and most of you folks.

I donít see the board dying any time soon. Itís my favorite discussion place on the web.
What aboutism isn't a moderate position anymore. It tacked hard to the right, and they are owning it for all intents and purposes.
  #295  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
But again, exactly what rhetoric are you citing as your "example"? You haven't even clearly identified what GD thread you were referring to, much less which specific post(s) you think constitute "a reason why some conservatives may decide engaging just isn't worth it".

I mean, if you're going to flounce out of an entire thread just because a few posters make unflattering generalizations about your ideology, that's your right, but I don't think you're being all that oppressed.
Here's the thread, though it was already linked above. It seems clear to me the premise of the thread is predicated on groups of people, right wingers and gun rights folks, being racist. It's super tedious, and while I enjoy discussing a variety of topics, this level of tedium is, unappealing.

I'm certainly not oppressed, never implied that I was.
  #296  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:40 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
If Trump has a body capable of being shamed, he can take his own freely dispensed advise and get off of his lazy ass and get some exercise.
When you insult an asshole for being fat, he probably won't know or care. You know who will notice and probably will care? Other fat people in the thread, who are being told, whether you meant it or not, that they deserve to be insulted for being fat.
  #297  
Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,764
I see your point, you know. But, also, fuck Trump.
  #298  
Old 08-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Here's the thread, though it was already linked above. It seems clear to me the premise of the thread is predicated on groups of people, right wingers and gun rights folks, being racist.
AFAICT, there's one poster in that thread that you closed, namely the OP, incontinently raving about "right wingers" hypothetically doing bad shit in an unrealistic hypothetical situation, and one other poster making a drive-by one-liner also insulting to right-wingers.

Everybody else in the thread, of various political stripes, was rebutting various aspects of the OP's posts and/or criticizing particular ideological positions rather than undifferentiated "right wingers" in general.

And that's what got you miffed enough to post the following butthurtery in response to my request for cites illustrating bump's claim that the Dope has become intolerant of "disagreeing with the party line"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone
There is a current thread in GD equating right wing folks with racists. Or those that support gun rights as racists. The board isn't very open towards conservatives or right leaning views at all.
Sorry to say it, but: Snowflake.
  #299  
Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
And that's what got you miffed enough to post the following butthurtery in response to my request for cites illustrating bump's claim that the Dope has become intolerant of "disagreeing with the party line"?
No, it was the first example that came to mind. I've read the majority of threads on the board for many years. Would you like a treatise detailing every example available? You ask for an example, one is provided. Then it's criticized as not representative. How far down the rabbit hole would you like to go? Consider you're actively participating in a thread about the tea party calling them racists.
  #300  
Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Here's the thread, though it was already linked above. It seems clear to me the premise of the thread is predicated on groups of people, right wingers and gun rights folks, being racist. It's super tedious, and while I enjoy discussing a variety of topics, this level of tedium is, unappealing.

I'm certainly not oppressed, never implied that I was.
But that's a dumb thread that most Dopers, liberal or conservative, appear to recognize was dumb. By my reading, at least. If that demonstrates anything about the Dope, it's that most liberal and conservative Dopers can come together to crap on dumb threads.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017