Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Great idea. I get a chance to redeem myself for letting it lapse. And I'll bet there are a few others in the same boat.
Yes, indeed. I was furious when I realized that I had let it lapse (it took me months to notice that I now had "guest" under my name).
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Altho the prices changes are reasonable, it seems like you are penalizing those that actually, you know- contribute, and letting the deadbeats get away with paying nothing.
Perfect example of the attitude of the elitists.

This is why I stopped paying.

So now you know DrDeth why I refuse to pay.

Your attitude.

Congratulations.

Last edited by Drunky Smurf; 08-09-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:08 PM

I completely support this! I will be donating. One request: please make the categories and explanations simple. The older I get, the stupider and more literal-minded I become. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Perfect example of the attitude of the elitists.

This is why I stopped paying.

So now you know DrDeth why I refuse to pay.

Your attitude.

Congratulations.
Yeah, well, since you hadn't paid for quite some time before I made that post, my post is hardly the reason.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah, well, since you hadn't paid for quite some time before I made that post, my post is hardly the reason.
Maybe you should read more carefully next time.

Because I did not say it was your post.

I said it's your attitude.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe you should read more carefully next time.

Because I did not say it was your post.

I said it's your attitude.
Like, you knew my attitude on this years ago....
Old 08-09-2018, 11:28 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Yes. You can give more if you like (see "Friend of Cecil") but all paid memberships prior to the price change are in effect for the full length of the subscription at the old price.

Once I get through the summer months I will be doing some donation or other. Heck, I spend more time here than I do church and often get more out of it so why the heck not? Thanks, kiddo!
Old 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Like, you knew my attitude on this years ago....

The elitist part of your attitude has not changed over the years. It comes out on many topics. For instance about people who enjoy a certain TV show, (that you got topic banned from), and have no interest in reading the books that preceded the TV show.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's true. and of course newbies are guests. But we have a lot of very active posters, those who always complain, and who never pay. I think the term is right for them, but I understand your point.

I am not saying pay to post, just either some limits on NPs or some benefits to paid members.
What, not enjoying the lifetime supply of self-righteous, self-aggrandizing indignation that apparently came with your membership?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Drunky Smurf and DrDeth, knock off the bickering.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The 'Member/Charter Member' distinction is backwards. It's obvious that the 'Charter Members' highly value the title as a Title that sets them apart from the 'Members'. What people value more, you charge more for. Not give them a discount.
Maybe so, but "half price" was explicitly part of the deal for Charter Members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zotti View Post
we promise that as long as you remain a subscriber, you'll be able to renew annually for 50% of whatever the regular rate is at the time.
That said, raising prices a bit for everyone seems like a reasonable thing to do.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Why would there be a "Friends of Cecil" category when Cecil has left?
One of the better username/post combos I've seen on this board
Old 08-10-2018, 08:50 AM

I'd definitely go for the $30 regain Charter Membership option. It's a great idea, I'm sure I'm not the only one who kicks themselves regularly for neglecting to re-up in time.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
I'd definitely go for the $30 regain Charter Membership option. It's a great idea, I'm sure I'm not the only one who kicks themselves regularly for neglecting to re-up in time.
I would have liked to keep it, but it was mainly the fault of the Mickey Mouse way subscriptions were (maybe still are) handled/paid for that caused me to miss it. So I don't blame myself much for it.

If I could just pick it back up as an amnesty, I would. I'm much less enthusiastic about paying a premium for it. I'm not saying they shouldn't offer it, especially since others seem more enthusiastic, but I don't know how excited I personally am. I still have my 1999 join date to keep me warm at night.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I would have liked to keep it, but it was mainly the fault of the Mickey Mouse way subscriptions were (maybe still are) handled/paid for that caused me to miss it. So I don't blame myself much for it.

If I could just pick it back up as an amnesty, I would. I'm much less enthusiastic about paying a premium for it. I'm not saying they shouldn't offer it, especially since others seem more enthusiastic, but I don't know how excited I personally am. I still have my 1999 join date to keep me warm at night.
Yeh, I'm with you on this. I liked the CM designation, but I liked the 50% discount even more.

At the time, I was getting emails that it was time to re-up my subscription a few years ago, but my email client was tossing them in the Junk folder for whatever reason, so it lapsed on me and I lost the designation. It was maybe less than a month until I re-subscribed at full price. Kind of a bummer. I'd like to get the Charter Member designation back, but for $30? Ehhhh...

Last edited by cmyk; 08-10-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I'll be donating.

That said, I think you price point is way too low for CM. Most people like their CM status and I think they would be willing to pay more for it.

Keep up the good work Tuba!
It's kind of neat to have but I'm not going to pay a ridiculous price for it. $17.50 for two years isn't too bad.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

If I renew my subscription for two years, am I guaranteed that there will still be a message board in two years?
Old 08-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
If I renew my subscription for two years, am I guaranteed that there will still be a message board in two years?
Of course not. Have you heard of such a guarantee in any subscription ever?
Old 08-10-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
It's a wonky thing, the "Friend of Cecil," but it's the best I can come up with in the face of what I have to work with.
I can't tell if I should feel honored or insulted!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Not at all; it's available to everyone.

To access, please click on the "UserCP" hyperlink in the blue band at the top of every SDMB page. Then click on "Paid Subscriptions" in the list on the left hand side.

Click on the subscription you like/qualify for. Only current Charter Members can renew their subscriptions at Charter Member rates. "Member" is the subscription category for everyone else.

Friend of Cecil is a one time donation device; I am currently working on ways to reward people for making such a donation, it's a work in progress.

Choose your category accordingly and follow the prompts.

You will be asked in big links if you want to use your PayPal account to pay for this transaction. You may do that if you like.

You will be asked in a tiny bit of hard to find text if you want to use your credit card to pay for this transaction. You can do that if you prefer.

Click on the link of your choice. Follow the prompts.

(NOTE: It may be confusing to some folks as the processing mechanism is through the PayPal network. But that does not mean you can't use your credit card if you prefer, though of course you will be encouraged to use a PayPal account.)

Hope this helps.
If I have one piece of business advice for this board, it's "make it easier for people to give you money".
Old 08-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
We're doing our best here -- and by subscribing that's also helping -- but what in life outside of death and taxes is absolutely guaranteed?

Take a chance. Live a little. Two years from now we can laugh about it.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
If I have one piece of business advice for this board, it's "make it easier for people to give you money".
I'm working on it as fast as I can!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know if you noticed in the other thread, but apparently gifting memberships has been disabled for over 4 years since an upgrade at that time. That's pretty unforgivable though I know it didn't happen under your watch.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I think you're doing a fine job.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
I think you're doing a fine job.
Seriously. I mean, things have REALLY improved around here. It doesn't feel as, "my way or the highway!" anymore.

(And I don't mean this in a bad way, but do you feel, like, since you had some time off since your last round as an admin, it helped or it hurt? Just curious)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:56 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Seriously. I mean, things have REALLY improved around here. It doesn't feel as, "my way or the highway!" anymore.

(And I don't mean this in a bad way, but do you feel, like, since you had some time off since your last round as an admin, it helped or it hurt? Just curious)
I dunno. That's what it was back then and now it's something else and we're all rolling with the punches. I'm just glad to be here now. I hope you all are too.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:46 AM

I'm confused about a couple things.

How does one get a custom title? Regular membership? Charter? Friend of Cecil? None of the above?

Friend of Cecil: I get that you can contribute daily. Do you get FOC under your username for 24 hours, then it goes away unless you re-up the next day?

There is talk of a 'tip jar'. How does that differ from FOC?

mmm
Old 08-11-2018, 09:41 AM

Is the mailing address for the Chicago Reader still a good one for the SDMB?
Old 08-11-2018, 12:16 PM

I asked about the "Friends of Cecil" thing, but in the avatars thread by mistake. It's the "1 week" that has me puzzled. This thread is where I should have posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Thanks, but I got all that. The part I was asking about is when you click on "order," the drop-down menu shows the $$ amount with "1 week" next to each amount choice. What does 1 week mean?
Quote:

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 08-11-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:47 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I don't know if you noticed in the other thread, but apparently gifting memberships has been disabled for over 4 years since an upgrade at that time. That's pretty unforgivable though I know it didn't happen under your watch.
The gift membership thing was a hack Jerry Davis came up with. It broke in a system update and Jerry didn't have time or resources to reinstate the hack. And now Jerry doesn't work here anymore and no one knows what he did, so it was just unavailable.

I have come up with what I hope is a suitable solution until we can get something better. So make your gift transaction and then send me an email (TubaDiva@aol.com) and tell me who it's for. Also tell me if you want the recipient to know or if you'd prefer to be anonymous.

If you'd like to give to a general "scholarship" fund, make a Friend of Cecil donation and tell me where you want it to go. You can either leave it to our discretion as to recipients or we can decide together. Whatever works.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I'm confused about a couple things.

How does one get a custom title? Regular membership? Charter? Friend of Cecil? None of the above?

Friend of Cecil: I get that you can contribute daily. Do you get FOC under your username for 24 hours, then it goes away unless you re-up the next day?

There is talk of a 'tip jar'. How does that differ from FOC?

mmm
You can get a custom title by using the Custom Title subscription in the UserCP under "Paid Subscriptions." No muss, no fuss, it's totally automated.

You can also get a Custom Title for being a Friend of Cecil and making a donation. Some people like to have both the Member designation AND a custom title, see Cazzle's profile for an example. You can have that too with a FOC donation. I have to fiddle with the settings a bit, it's not automatic, but I think I give you what you want when you donate.

This is all totally optional; if you don't want a Custom Title or a Friend of Cecil title to show on your profile, that's fine too. Just send me an email (TubaDiva@aol.com) and tell me what you want.

FOC will also get a small gift as soon as I get my hands on some merchandise.

The FOC time period is set to a short period of time so you can donate as often as you like.

I've asked STM to put a tip jar/Feed the Kitty kind of thing on the Straight Dope front page. That way you don't have to be a Member of the board to make a donation; you can be anyone looking at the site. I hope to have a link to the same thing somewhere on the board as well, but currently this is an option I can't make happen through the vB software. Nothing happens instantly with STM, so I'm doing what I can with what is available to me now and asking for these changes as they can hopefully approve and install them.

While not a perfect or particularly elegant solution, this is something I could do right now. For the longest time people have offered to throw money at the Straight Dope and at the SDMB but it was not an option for management. That was then and this is now and here we are. I can only hope people put their money where their mouth is. So to speak.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-11-2018, 02:11 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
Is the mailing address for the Chicago Reader still a good one for the SDMB?
The Chicago Reader is no longer the owner of The Straight Dope.

Not sure if the deal is complete yet but the Reader is/will be a part of the Chicago Defender chain of minority-owned newspapers.

The owner of The Straight Dope is the Chicago Sun-Times, I have also seem them styled as Sun-Times Media LLC.

Here's what they list on their support page:

Chicago Sun-Times
30 N. Racine Ave., 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60607

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
I asked about the "Friends of Cecil" thing, but in the avatars thread by mistake. It's the "1 week" that has me puzzled. This thread is where I should have posted:
The time period is short (originally I set it at one day, then one week, I may go back to one day) because I want you to be able to donate through Friend of Cecil as often as you like.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Not sure if the deal is complete yet but the Reader is/will be a part of the Chicago Defender chain of minority-owned newspapers.

The owner of The Straight Dope is the Chicago Sun-Times, I have also seem them styled as Sun-Times Media LLC.

Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago, IL 60607

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
The PayPal receipt for my donation made yesterday is from "Chicago Reader Inc." Did the wrong people get my money?

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 08-11-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Nope.

The PayPay mechanism that processes transactions here was originally set up by the Reader.

In all these years that hadn't changed. But we were always part of the Reader, even through all the sales.

Now we're not.

I would imagine it should and will change, especially now, and I can only assume it's one of the things STM will get to at some point. With the sale of the Reader a lot of things are changing and it's a work in progress.

While it says "Chicago Reader" the PayPal account is actually controlled by STM and they schedule transfers from that PayPal account to STM. So it ultimately gets to the right place.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-12-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago, IL 60607

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Is this where to send the membership fees for here?
Old 08-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
No, that would be my address here in Waikiki.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Seriously? No.

It has been many years since we had a mechanism where people could send checks or money orders. Most companies nowadays don't have people or facilities to process paper transactions.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-13-2018, 08:03 AM

Seriously? ... you don't take cash? ...

Quote:
[snip] ... Most companies nowadays don't have people or facilities to process paper transactions ... [snap]
Every company I do business with accepts cash, I honestly thought it was the law ... "This note is legal tender for all debts, public or private" ...

So there's an improvement to these boards going forward ... let people join who maybe don't have good credit, like young folks ... I gotta tell you, this smells like elitism in the extreme, why on Earth does an internet message board need members to have good credit scores? ...

I thought you've raise rates to bring more customers in ... I've been a businessman for more years than I like to admit ... and one truism I've found is that when we raise rates, for every person who walks away, two other people will come forward ... look at your own membership tallies, been going up since you announced this increase? ...

If a PO Box or private box is too expense in your area, the Post Office will accept mail for you as "General Delivery" ... I live in one of the biggest metropolitan areas in all of North Jefferson and the Post Office here will send this out to me with the regular delivery ...

... or should I just buy beer with this $20 bill? ...
Old 08-13-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Every company I do business with accepts cash, I honestly thought it was the law ... "This note is legal tender for all debts, public or private" ...
Nope. Businesses can refuse to accept a form of payment if they choose. Hence all of the establishments that won't take $50 or $100 bills, which is relatively common. Businesses can also choose not to accept cash at all.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Every company I do business with accepts cash, I honestly thought it was the law
Do you ever buy anything online or through mail order? Ever buy an airline ticket, rent a car or hotel room?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, you're buying? Thanks!

Breakfast of Champions and all that, you know.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:

So there's an improvement to these boards going forward ... let people join who maybe don't have good credit, like young folks ... I gotta tell you, this smells like elitism in the extreme, why on Earth does an internet message board need members to have good credit scores? ...

I thought you've raise rates to bring more customers in ... I've been a businessman for more years than I like to admit ... and one truism I've found is that when we raise rates, for every person who walks away, two other people will come forward ... look at your own membership tallies, been going up since you announced this increase? ...

If a PO Box or private box is too expense in your area, the Post Office will accept mail for you as "General Delivery" ... I live in one of the biggest metropolitan areas in all of North Jefferson and the Post Office here will send this out to me with the regular delivery ...

You can use cash with PayPal--direct debit from checking account. Unless you don't have a checking account... in which case, I'm wondering if do business by barter? You probably can't ship a crate of chickens to that Chicago address either.

Anyway, anyone can post here without being a member or paying anything. TubaDiva is asking for fees not to increase membership per se, but to increase revenue to run the board. You know that it costs money to host a ginormous website, right?

If your post was meant as a joke, I apologize.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Every company I do business with accepts cash, I honestly thought it was the law
Locally (DC area) some walk-in businesses are no longer accepting cash. It's already the case for most internet businesses in my experience. Cash is expensive to handle and difficult-to-impossible to track.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:

You've never used PayPal? You don't need a credit card. I think if your concerned that "young folks" won't be able to join through lack of credit history, maybe you should talk to some actual young folks who manage to make online purchases all the time, with or without good credit history.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Most "young folks" would probably laugh at the idea of using cash.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It's a different world in 2018 -- access to credit cards (or the basically-the-same-thing-not-going-into-details equivalent, debit cards) is generally unrelated to credit score.

Although ... even 30 years ago, it was easy as pie to get a bunch of credit cards as a teenage college student.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 PM

Honestly, this is the first time I've come across this, never even heard of this before ... I do business with plenty of people who don't take plastic, and many others that slap on a surcharge ... y'all make it seem I live out in the wilderness ...

Oh ...

I guess I do live out in the wilderness ... my apologies for bringing this up ... beer it is then ...
Old 08-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Honestly, this is the first time I've come across this, never even heard of this before ... I do business with plenty of people who don't take plastic, and many others that slap on a surcharge ...
Do you pay your bills by mailing greenbacks?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Use your $20 cash to buy a prepaid debit card.