Old 03-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Leads to less questioning about her past, and if she gives an impression of being almost feral people will tiptoe around her and not demand medical screenings as hard and such.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I'm still not clear on why she pretended not to be able to speak.
Probably to garner sympathy. No one would press to do a med scan on a traumatized "little girl". They'd cut her a lot of slack, which to her means they are stupid and let her operate freely.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:11 PM

I really liked Scott Grimes in the last episode. Malloy is often a goofy comic-relief character, but here he had some pretty weighty stuff to deal with, and Grimes pulled it off well.

It kind of reminded me of his stint on ER, when he went from a semi-competent, insecure med student who was the butt of many jokes, to chief resident within two seasons.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Leads to less questioning about her past, and if she gives an impression of being almost feral people will tiptoe around her and not demand medical screenings as hard and such.
If you can't talk, you're not going to screw up and say something that doesn't fit the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I really liked Scott Grimes in the last episode. Malloy is often a goofy comic-relief character, but here he had some pretty weighty stuff to deal with, and Grimes pulled it off well.

It kind of reminded me of his stint on ER, when he went from a semi-competent, insecure med student who was the butt of many jokes, to chief resident within two seasons.
He set the tone! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlNcU8EZyeE
Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:

She had to pretend to be Orin’s traumatized daughter. I imagine there’s fewer questions if you can’t speak.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:52 PM

So do we think that knife could even cut through Alara's skin?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
She didn't want to have to answer questions about being whats-his-name daughter.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So do we think that knife could even cut through Alara's skin?
Why not?
Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Why not?

She has super strength, and recovered from a normally killing blow from a phaser (or whatever they call them) without any visible wounds.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 PM
SDSAB

That weapon was set on stun. We've seen them used to stun and not kill before.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
That weapon was set on stun. We've seen them used to stun and not kill before.

I wasn't talking about in the latest episode, but rather when she was shot by the Kaylon guard.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wasn't talking about in the latest episode, but rather when she was shot by the Kaylon guard.
They should at least of singed her uniform.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Good point.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Why not?
Super strength wouldn't be the only adaptation you'd need to survive on Xelaya. You'd expect hyper-dense skin, organs, bones, etc. Her skin should be like Kevlar.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 PM

And super strength without some level of invulnerability almost seems like a contradiction in terms (although that’s not true for the reverse).
Old 03-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Super strength wouldn't be the only adaptation you'd need to survive on Xelaya. You'd expect hyper-dense skin, organs, bones, etc. Her skin should be like Kevlar.
Her body shaped would make her a natural to play a dwarf in The Hobbit.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
And super strength without some level of invulnerability almost seems like a contradiction in terms (although that’s not true for the reverse).
Well, yes. If her super strong muscles were ripping up a tree trunk but it shredded all the skin from her hands in the process, doesn't seem like a useful evolutionary adaptation*

*certainly not great for easy storylines.

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-13-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Well, yes. If her super strong muscles were ripping up a tree trunk but it shredded all the skin from her hands in the process, doesn't seem like a useful evolutionary adaptation*

*certainly not great for easy storylines.
Perhaps Seth didn't think about this enough, although the Father being afraid to jump down a single story indicates they can be easily hurt on their planet.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Perhaps Seth didn't think about this enough, although the Father being afraid to jump down a single story indicates they can be easily hurt on their planet.
But I assume they don't tear up tree trunks on their home planet- they are only super strong off world. But that is just an assumption.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
But I assume they don't tear up tree trunks on their home planet- they are only super strong off world. But that is just an assumption.

Just like Jor-El and Kal-El in the Superman story. Only strong when off of Krypton.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:50 PM

I would say it's a little different, because Kryptonians get super strength from the yellow sun, whereas Xeleyans are super strong all the time--they just need their strength to overcome the heavy gravity. [ETA: Wow, that was a super nerdy sentence, LOL.]

Quote:
Well, yes. If her super strong muscles were ripping up a tree trunk but it shredded all the skin from her hands in the process, doesn't seem like a useful evolutionary adaptation

Yes, great example to illustrate.

Quote:

It has already been pointed out that it's sort of relative. But if we're picky, we can also note that objects on her planet would move completely differently. No amount of strength could make their movements look the same as humans on Earth.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-13-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I would say it's a little different, because Kryptonians get super strength from the yellow sun, whereas Xeleyans are super strong all the time--they just need their strength to overcome the heavy gravity.
The gravity difference was the original reason for Superman's powers. The came up with the red/yellow sun thing later.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
The big problem with the show is that on the one hand it is trying to be derivative, parody-ing Trek and other SF shows but on the other hand wants to be a fairly serious original show on it's own, and ends up being neither fish nor fowl.
Some (including my wife and I) would say that's the beauty of the show, not a problem with it.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

The Doctor has yet to say, "He's dead, Ed."
Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 PM
SDSAB

Or "I'm a doctor, not a robot-humper."
Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 AM

I'll hide it in case anyone hasn't seen the new episode yet... spoiler alert...

SPOILER:
Gordon's doomed virtual romance was, for me, the dullest episode yet. I'm all for character development, but damn that was boring.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 AM

The A plot with Gordon was OK, even if the basic idea had been done several times in TNG and Voyager.

Bortus and Klyden's B plot, not so much.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:57 AM

That one character was espousing tabula rosa theory. Is that controversial these days?
Old 03-22-2019, 03:06 AM

This wasn't my favorite episode of the series by any means, but I liked it. I wasn't bored at all by the romance, and I was amused by the B-plot.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
The A plot with Gordon was OK, even if the basic idea had been done several times in TNG and Voyager.

Bortus and Klyden's B plot, not so much.
Come on, when he went around the quarters grabbing one secret cigarette here, and one secret cigarette there, and then opens the pillow and dumps hundreds out, that was great!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 AM

I agree, Bortus and Klyden were the best part of this episode. The two of them sitting at a table together smoking, with a giant pile of butts between them was hilarious.

Has Star Trek ever done a plot like this, where there's really, truly, no danger to anyone? ISTR that every TNG or TOS episode someone was always at risk of dying, or the ship being destroyed, or some planet coming under attack, or something. This one the worst that happened or could have happened was Gordon got his heart broken and the Moclans had to go through nicotine withdrawals. No holodeck taking over the ship, no deadline where the Moclans will be permanently addicted if Claire doesn't synthesize the cure in time.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
This wasn't my favorite episode of the series by any means, but I liked it. I wasn't bored at all by the romance, and I was amused by the B-plot.

Bortus looked pretty cool smoking actually.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

We can't have a massive space battle every week.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Come on, when he went around the quarters grabbing one secret cigarette here, and one secret cigarette there, and then opens the pillow and dumps hundreds out, that was great!

I knew that was going to happen the moment that he picked up the pillow--but it was still great.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

The smoking subplot was hilarious. I found the main plot somewhat interesting if not among the show's best.

I know that a lot of people seem to be bored with Bortus and Klyden, but I think that they're often the most amusing part of the show.

Watching these two big tough looking aliens constantly doing silly stupid things and getting into relationship snits tickles my funny bone.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 AM

I did think the love story was quite the mindfuck, but I was also a bit stoned watching it, so that made it better.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Orville rewards the baked, that's for sure. I liked the ep--it's a good companion piece to the Isaac episodes, exploring what the important part about being a human actually is. We're very hung up on reality and corporeal existence, but falling in love with a simulator generated human from the past is no weirder than what we do today, making friends with words on the internet. *shrug* I liked that Gordon got to explore a bit of how you can't just remove one facet from a person and expect that will not have massive repercussions, that was good. We're all the sum of our relationships and none of us would be the people our partners fell in love with if we didn't have our pasts. Plus, they sing purty together.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM

Aw c'mon, why the Gordon hate? He's a man boy slowly coming out of arrested development. True, his plotline was already done by Geordie in ST: TNG, but this time it wasn't a prelude to the disaster of the week. Gordon experienced unrequited love and had to come to terms with it. I'm just glad they didn't end the show with him looking up the girl's descendants and stalking the great-great-/.../-great-grand daughter.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
The smoking subplot was hilarious. I found the main plot somewhat interesting if not among the show's best.

I know that a lot of people seem to be bored with Bortus and Klyden, but I think that they're often the most amusing part of the show.

Watching these two big tough looking aliens constantly doing silly stupid things and getting into relationship snits tickles my funny bone.

Agreed. They’re two very funny actors and are masters at portraying humorous situations with a straight face. In fact, I don’t recall ever seeing Bortus smile.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Aw c'mon, why the Gordon hate? He's a man boy slowly coming out of arrested development. True, his plotline was already done by Geordie in ST: TNG, but this time it wasn't a prelude to the disaster of the week. Gordon experienced unrequited love and had to come to terms with it. I'm just glad they didn't end the show with him looking up the girl's descendants and stalking the great-great-/.../-great-grand daughter.
Or go the Futurama route and find out he was the great-great-...-grandson
Old 03-22-2019, 02:29 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
LOL. Especially his little flourish of each cigarette as he revealed it.

I really enjoyed this episode - it's maybe even my favorite this season - although it revisited familiar ST:TNG ground (Riker and Minuet, Geordi and Dr. Brahms, etc.). Good to see Tim Russ (Tuvok on ST:VGR) as the historian. Leighton Meester was beautiful, charming and sang very well (including that sweet duet at the end).

The episode made a nice statement about the relevance of history, and how our lives are changed by those we meet along the way. I kept expecting Gordon to check the Union's historical records to learn what became of Laura. Eh, maybe best he didn't.

Particularly funny bits: the Moclans replicate 500 cigarettes and take to smoking with a manic eagerness; Gordon doesn't know who Dick Van Dyke is (I can only imagine how that Charades round went!); he falls to the deck when he saves the simulation program; the Moclans get covered in food and break the table as they fight.

Favorite line: "Do you think he's working too hard?" "Gordon? Never."

Next episode's not until April 11, according to the preview.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Bortus can deadpan a line like nobody's business.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Bortus looked pretty cool smoking actually.

Right? I guess he saw it in old movies or something, unless we buy that he would reinvent cool guy smoking style in a day or two.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Gordon experienced unrequited love and had to come to terms with it.
That is not what that word means. She wanted to meet his friends. She was actually interested in him and it seemed like there was an intimate relationship forming there, until the other guy got in the way. It was more of a heartbreak, that the program followed the script from the phone and refused to let it happen the way he wanted, and he had to come to terms with that.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
I'll hide it in case anyone hasn't seen the new episode yet... spoiler alert...

SPOILER:
Gordon's doomed virtual romance was, for me, the dullest episode yet. I'm all for character development, but damn that was boring.
Oddly, both boring (but not dull) and at the same time well done.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:46 PM

What does "boring (but not dull)" mean?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What does "boring (but not dull)" mean?
Lacking excitement, but still interesting.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

SPOILER:
I watched it again with my Wife. It was good; we can't have a space battle every week. I think it would have been a great ending for the archeologist to find the picture of Malloy on the phone.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:32 PM

I have not seen all that much of the Orville, so I am curious about others' impressions of the "action" parts. Does it seem to have less of the shooting at each other than the STs?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
SPOILER:
I watched it again with my Wife. It was good; we can't have a space battle every week. I think it would have been a great ending for the archeologist to find the picture of Malloy on the phone.
I thought that too at first, but then realized that

SPOILER:
He wasn't there, so he couldn't possibly have been on the phone