Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535

Adding optional likes as a response to posts?


Any chance of adding "likes" to this board, like Stack Exchange?
No need for downvotes like Reddit, but I'd like to acknowledge posts like RTFirefly's in BBQ without a full fledged reply.
I realize vBulletin may render this idea an unholy PITA, but if not, it might be worth pursuing.
OTOH, I despise downvotes/dislikes. All they ever seem to do is make a board meaner. Life is hard enough without that sort of crapola.

Last edited by Squink; 01-27-2020 at 02:42 PM.
  #2  
Old 01-27-2020, 02:53 PM
GreysonCarlisle's Avatar
GreysonCarlisle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,501
I think it can be done with this version of vBulletin (though I believe it's called Reputation). It's a mostly useless feature, IMO, that ought to be kept off. The only point to it is, like you said, thumbs-upping a comment without posting to say Me too!

We don't have a lot of that here, at least not that I've seen, so enabling Likes wouldn't add anything to the board.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 01-27-2020 at 02:56 PM.
  #3  
Old 01-27-2020, 02:55 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,169
This has been discussed before.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=732824
And again more recently, less than a year ago.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=874005
It has been debated to death, and I think this feature is not “like”ly to happen any time soon.
  #4  
Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535
OK. If that's the group will, I'm fine without it. I simply find it occasionally useful elsewhere.
  #5  
Old 01-27-2020, 03:59 PM
kopek's Avatar
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 16,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
OK. If that's the group will, I'm fine without it. I simply find it occasionally useful elsewhere.

IMHO though its more in keeping with the tone and nature of this board to not have something that cheap/easy/simple; pick your own descriptive. Personally I don't care if someone "simply" likes my post; I am more interested in the why. And the places I've been that had likes it was more the who than what was said most times. Working as we do here it gives me more a sense of where I reach others and where I fail - and likewise for others.
  #6  
Old 01-27-2020, 05:42 PM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535
I find it works in some places, not others.
  #7  
Old 01-27-2020, 10:22 PM
TreacherousCretin's Avatar
TreacherousCretin is offline
Horrified Onlooker
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 5,763
Do we have to have this debate again?
  #8  
Old 01-28-2020, 12:21 AM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535
Nope. As a guy who disappeared for 8 or so years, I'm not about to get pushy about a format most of you seem to prefer.
  #9  
Old 01-28-2020, 07:25 AM
Jasmine's Avatar
Jasmine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
I think it can be done with this version of vBulletin (though I believe it's called Reputation). It's a mostly useless feature, IMO, that ought to be kept off.
I was a member of a discussion site that used the "Reputation" format. It was based mostly on popularity and, since a member's "Reputation" points were displayed below the member's avatar, it was a status symbol denoting seniority and prestige. It was actually done away with because some were engineering the acquisition and hoarding of "Reputation".

I also associate "Likes" with Facebook, which is a notoriously shallow site in terms of any real discussion or debate. Truth be known, I hand them out like candy at a kid's party.
__________________
"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge."
--Daniel J Boorstin
  #10  
Old 01-28-2020, 11:04 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 23,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I was a member of a discussion site that used the "Reputation" format. It was based mostly on popularity and, since a member's "Reputation" points were displayed below the member's avatar, it was a status symbol denoting seniority and prestige. It was actually done away with because some were engineering the acquisition and hoarding of "Reputation".
We did away with Reputation Points (Greenies) on a site I moderate for the same reason. It was just people giving points to their friends every time they posted something, signifying nothing.
  #11  
Old 01-28-2020, 11:22 AM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,899
Like user icons and a separate forum for thread games, this is a feature which would - guaranteed - lead to the inevitable destruction of these boards.
  #12  
Old 01-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 27,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I was a member of a discussion site that used the "Reputation" format. It was based mostly on popularity and, since a member's "Reputation" points were displayed below the member's avatar, it was a status symbol denoting seniority and prestige. It was actually done away with because some were engineering the acquisition and hoarding of "Reputation".
Since I have seniority but not prestige, I can only give half-hearted support to this feature.
  #13  
Old 01-28-2020, 12:12 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
No need for downvotes like Reddit,
I disagree.


/downvoted


Slightly more seriously, I'm here to read what people have to say. If someone likes a comment, they can darn well say it, while staying the hell off my lawn.
  #14  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:10 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Nope. As a guy who disappeared for 8 or so years, I'm not about to get pushy about a format most of you seem to prefer.
You’re cool. I like you Squink.
  #15  
Old 01-28-2020, 01:37 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 28,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
The only point to it is, like you said, thumbs-upping a comment without posting to say Me too!
I can see the value in that, but the problem with that is, not everyone's "Like"s mean the same thing.

Some people would "Like" everything, as a way of saying "I acknowledge that I read your post and it was worth reading." Some people would use it to mean "I agree with what you say." Some people would reserve it for the rare times they were really impressed by something someone said.
  #16  
Old 01-28-2020, 04:50 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Nope. As a guy who disappeared for 8 or so years, I'm not about to get pushy about a format most of you seem to prefer.
SQUINK!

I thought you went out back and the hogs ate you.

Welcome back!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
  #17  
Old 01-28-2020, 05:41 PM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535
Like
  #18  
Old 01-28-2020, 05:47 PM
GreysonCarlisle's Avatar
GreysonCarlisle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I can see the value in that, but the problem with that is, not everyone's "Like"s mean the same thing.

Some people would "Like" everything, as a way of saying "I acknowledge that I read your post and it was worth reading." Some people would use it to mean "I agree with what you say." Some people would reserve it for the rare times they were really impressed by something someone said.
Hell, I've used them to mark which posts I've read so I'd know where to start up next time. Started a big-ass fight on another non-vB message board doing that.
  #19  
Old 01-28-2020, 06:45 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,900
There's reason to believe that the "like" button degrades interaction and behavior and information and understanding --

The Atlantic: "The Like Button Ruined the Internet: How “engagement” made the web a less engaging place"

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ternet/519795/

Quote:
Once other people start telling you what they like via Like buttons, you inevitably start hewing to their idea of what’s good. And since “people tend to be extremely similar in their vulgar and prurient and dumb interests and wildly different in their refined and aesthetic and noble interests,” the stuff you publish will start looking a lot like the stuff that everybody else publishes, because everybody sort of likes the same thing and everybody is fishing for Likes.

...

You don’t have to spend more than 10 minutes talking to a purveyor of content on the web to realize that the question keeping them up at night is how to improve the performance of their stories against some engagement metric. And it’s easy enough to see the logical consequence of this incentive: At the bottom of article pages on nearly every major content site is an “Around the Web” widget powered either by Outbrain or Taboola. These widgets are aggressively optimized for clicks. (People do, in fact, click on that stuff. I click on that stuff.) And you can see that it’s mostly sexy, sexist, and sensationalist garbage. The more you let engagement metrics drive editorial, the more your site will look like a Taboola widget. That’s the drain it all circles toward.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.
  #20  
Old 01-28-2020, 09:27 PM
Cleophus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,406
I don't see a strong reason to want a "Like" button or equivalent other than the expectation of receiving likes from a large number of lurkers and infrequent posters presumed to support you, and using that recognition in an attempt to bolster otherwise unpopular posts. A way to say "Look at all the people who agree with me!", in other words.
  #21  
Old 01-29-2020, 12:03 AM
I Love Me, Vol. I's Avatar
I Love Me, Vol. I is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 4,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
OK. If that's the group will, I'm fine without it. I simply find it occasionally useful elsewhere.
Useful for what?
  #22  
Old 01-29-2020, 09:03 AM
Charlie Wayne is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
We did away with Reputation Points (Greenies) on a site I moderate for the same reason. It was just people giving points to their friends every time they posted something, signifying nothing.
My experience on other boards indicates this is truly the case.

Very often, it seems to be used and abused by children trying to have fun with a feature that was never intended to have fun. Instead of adding some "like or dislike" feature, I would venture a guess that many people here could come up with something far more useful and/or far more fun.
  #23  
Old 01-29-2020, 09:34 AM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535
Works nicely on Stack Exchange. Probably not here at IMHO or Cafe Soc. Like many things, utility is likely content sensitive. Despite what the Atlantic, and and a bunch of guys from the internet's have to say, likes are Not a thing of pure evil.
Methinks though dost protest too much.
  #24  
Old 01-29-2020, 11:48 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Works nicely on Stack Exchange. Probably not here at IMHO or Cafe Soc. Like many things, utility is likely content sensitive. Despite what the Atlantic, and and a bunch of guys from the internet's have to say, likes are Not a thing of pure evil.
Methinks though dost protest too much.
Methinks "Not a thing of pure evil" is not exactly a ringing endorsement.
  #25  
Old 01-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535
True that, Czarcasm, but I definitely got the impression that some regarded them as such.
Mayhap they overstated to try to make a point?
Understatement is sometimes an effective tool.
  #26  
Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 AM
Jasmine's Avatar
Jasmine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,580
Quote:
There's reason to believe that the "like" button degrades interaction and behavior and information and understanding --
Yep, that's Facebook alright. LOL
__________________
"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge."
--Daniel J Boorstin
  #27  
Old 01-30-2020, 03:15 PM
KMS94 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 214
I've been on another forum, also now on Vbulletin, for about 20 years. During a recent upgrade, the ability to "like" a post has been added. When you hover over the "like" button, however, you can pick the following icons: a middle finger icon (FU), thumbs up (like), thumbs down (down), laughing smiley face with tears (funny), a heart (heart), crying face (sad) and shocked face (wtf)

That forum allows in-thread pictures, and it seems most of the "likes" are given on those. There's no reputation or anything like that I can see. It doesn't seem to have hurt the board at all. It's handy when you want to acknowledge a joke somebody made with a "funny" but don't want to disrupt the thread by posting just to say so. I wouldn't say it hurt the boards at all.

In fact, it was nice to see some "responses" made from a few folks that hadn't posted in a while, got called out on it, and back posting again.
  #28  
Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 PM
dtilque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 7,553
I'll agree that a simple way to say "I found your joke funny" might be a good thing. I've occasionally posted what I think is a funny joke and never gotten any feedback to say so. I just assume people did find it funny, but didn't want to go to the trouble to make a post just to say so. I know I've seen other people's jokes that I found hillarious, but didn't have a reason to post a reply saying so. As long as the indication doesn't accrue to the person but just stays with that post, it'd be OK. We don't want people excessively posting lame jokes trying to up their Funny Score.

Last edited by dtilque; 02-01-2020 at 09:19 PM.
  #29  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:31 PM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535
AFAIK, on Stack Exchange, There's no way to find anyone's total "like" count on comments. Votes on answers are a different matter.
  #30  
Old 02-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 41,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
This has been discussed before.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=732824
And again more recently, less than a year ago.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=874005
It has been debated to death, and I think this feature is not “like”ly to happen any time soon.
Like.
__________________
The two most interesting things in the world: Other people's sex lives and your own money.
  #31  
Old 02-04-2020, 07:11 AM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,829
I wouldn't mind it if we could find out who voted, for instance when you hover over the like button on Facebook. To do otherwise would encourage sock armies to upvote otherwise unpopular posts.

Other than that I have no problem with it as long as it doesn't otherwise alter the functionality of the board. ETA: by that I mean sorting OPs by popularity. I don't mind that on Reddit but I like to have some variety in my social media.

Last edited by Ludovic; 02-04-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017