Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2020, 09:10 AM

NFL - OFFSEASON of Mist and mellow fruitfulness

Gotta get my Keats on.

Well, the Kansas City Chiefs are the Super Bowl Champs and damn, they look good. Congrats to Andy Reid, he's been so good for so long, it's nice to see him finally win the big game. I hope he's as good a person as he appears to be at first glance. And, although it's beating a dead horse at this point, I still smile anytime I read about how the Bears could have had Patrick Mahomes instead of Mitch Trubisky.

It should be an interesting off-season, especially with some huge names at the QB position possibly being free agents. Tom Brady. Phillip Rivers. Drew Brees. I'm guessing Brees resigns for another year, but it looks like Brady and Rivers could very well be with new teams next year. Add in the likes of Marcus Mariota, Ryan Tannehill, and Teddy Bridgewater and there could be a ton of QB's available in free agency. We know teams like the Raiders (ah, John Gruden), Dolphins, and Titans will likely be in the market. Should be fun to see who gets overpaid.

Then you have guys like Dak Prescott and Jameis Winston who will likely get the franchise tag as they negotiate long term contracts. I will smile when the Cowboys make Dak the highest paid player in the NFL.

The team I think has a very interesting off-season is the Titans. They have to decide if one outlier year is enough to pay Ryan Tannehill top 5 QB money (I'm guessing they franchise him to get another year of evidence). They have to decide whether to make Derrick Henry the highest paid RB in the league (they will, but they shouldn't). They also have a pretty good young defense that could use improving.

Aside from the QB situation, this offseason will likely have to deal with the collective bargaining agreement. The NFL will likely want to add a game, and the NFLPA will likely want to reduce Goodell's powers to suspend/punish players, allow pot smoking, have even less training camp, and cut further into revenue sharing. It should be fun to see what each side gets in negotiations. Or if we get a work stoppage in the fall.

Then there will be the combine and draft. I'm a bit shocked how much the draft has grown in public awareness. It's kinda fun though, guessing who will be a stud (Jerry Jeudy), who will be a bust (any first round QB not named Burrow or Tagovailoa), and who will be this year's sleeper (no clue yet). We'll likely have a separate thread for that, though.

What to do with pass interference replay, onside kick rules, and the XFL will be relatively minor things in this offseason too. I likely won't watch a lick of the XFL, but I'll probably get into the draft, as always.

Should be an interesting off-season.