Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 AM

Reply with quote feature intermittently malfunctioning

I've noticed on several threads this morning that when selecting the 'reply with quote' option, no quote appears to respond to.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:55 AM

Me too. I'm on an Android phone, for the record.

Plus I'm getting that bloody sixty second warning again.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Ditto. On a desktop running Windows 10, using Chrome browser.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Ditto. On a desktop running Windows 10, using Chrome browser.
Are you using Sultantheme?
Old 02-06-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Don't know if he is but I am.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Nope, I'm using the old v3.7.3.

What's weird is that it's intermittent. I was able to quote you with no problem. In another thread, I multi-quoted two posts, and one of them showed, and the other one didn't. You never know whether hitting the Quote button will do anything or not.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:07 PM

One of those posts this morning was mine, but it appears and disappears randomly. This is the second time I've posted this message. I couldn't find the post from this morning, I posted what I've just written above, and then my post from this morning appeared. I edited to delete the text, posted "nm" and then the post from this morning disappeared again. It's is the "elephant fly" thread. Not sure what's going to happen after I post this. I'm using Sultantheme.

Last edited by jerez; 02-06-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:19 PM

Okay, the "elephant fly" post was there in MPSIMS after I posted the above message and the post was also there in my "show all posts by" list. I logged out, and the message was still in the forum. I've just logged on again and the message doesn't appear in the forum.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:58 PM

It's generally not a theme thing, but a server load issue. The software does a lot of stuff on the server side. If the server doesnt return the white, it gets omitted.

Personally, I think doing it client-side makes more sense, but I'm not sure how feasible that was when the software was originally developed.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Nope, I'm using the old v3.7.3.

What's weird is that it's intermittent. I was able to quote you with no problem. In another thread, I multi-quoted two posts, and one of them showed, and the other one didn't. You never know whether hitting the Quote button will do anything or not.
I've been trying to reply with quote in another thread and it failed repeatedly, like ten or twelve times before I gave up. So you're never going to get my pearls of wisdom and wit.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:18 PM

Another problem, unrelated to what I've said above but also in MPSIMS. In the "self-confidence" thread, mine was the last post. There's now another one after mine but the forum mainpage is still showing mine as the last post. Yeah, I tried refreshing the page.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:54 PM

Probably not related, but about 18 hours of posts in "show all posts by jtur88" have disappeared.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:06 PM

Yep, I'm sensing a pattern. Several new threads on dissappearing/reappearing posts, threads losing them regaining conversations, now reply with quote not working. This is more than slow server response, this is looking more serious as time goes by.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Yep, I'm sensing a pattern. Several new threads on dissappearing/reappearing posts, threads losing them regaining conversations, now reply with quote not working. This is more than slow server response, this is looking more serious as time goes by.
To establish, then: in your twenty years here, you've not seen something quite like this?
Old 02-09-2020, 02:21 PM

Came to post this. It only occurs on one particular thread in cafe society. Other threads in that forum work, but not one particular thread.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
To establish, then: in your twenty years here, you've not seen something quite like this?
Well, I don't know if I'd say we haven't seen anything like it, we've had big board glitches like the infamous "Winter of our missed content", but this is more than just run of the mill slow servers.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

In past instances where there have been problems with the board, the technical staff have taken it offline and rebuilt the database tables, or done whatever was necessary to correct the technical issues. The current problems have been going on for weeks and I've heard nothing from anyone in charge about anything being done to correct the issues.