Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
So you think that a sports reporter dropping F-bombs when her fans like that kind of language shows 'a general degradation of society' from the good 'ol day when people would line up to shout racial slurs and death threats at a six-year old child daring to go to a white school?
What the hell? When did anyone mention racism,death threats to children, or school segregation? You realize that it is possible to take good parts of a society without the additional baggage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Pssst.... you're a member of a message board that has a moderator sticky attached to the top of one forum that is literally titled, "Listen up, motherfuckers!" Talk about society being degraded! Someone should tell TPTB what that mod has been up to!
This is a semi-private message board which makes it known that profanity is tolerated. If you don't like the profanity on this board, there are others that a person can frequent that is more suited to them if they dislike profanity. Young children are forbidden to post here IIRC.

That is different than being a fan of a sports team. There is simply no reason that the officials of the sports team should force a person, at the price of being a fan, to be subjected and their kids subjected to foul language. That language has nothing to do with the team, and it seems as if the word is just on this reporter's Twitter page for no apparent purpose.

If some people take offense, then there is no overbearing reason to do it. Posters on this board are at the forefront of protecting certain groups from offense for the most trivial of things; why not protect society in general?
Old 02-13-2020, 06:07 PM

I’ve got no problem cursing or hearing cursing in the workplace or when I’m out to dinner, in a public place, etc. Cursing is appropriately used when emphasizing a point.

But, when every single sentence coming out of someone’s mouth in normal conversation is full of “fucks”, “bitch”, “god damns” and “shits”, it tells me that the individual speaking is not intelligent enough to to know how to converse properly.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:18 PM

Not all of Canada is bad. But Maple Leaf fans think their team is like the Dodgers, Lakers, Yankees , etc. The reality is Toronto has not won anything in the NHL in over 50 years. Montreal hasn't won anything in 27 years and their fans are also very stuck up.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
This is a semi-private message board which makes it known that profanity is tolerated. If you don't like the profanity on this board, there are others that a person can frequent that is more suited to them if they dislike profanity. Young children are forbidden to post here IIRC.

That is different than being a fan of a sports team. There is simply no reason that the officials of the sports team should force a person, at the price of being a fan, to be subjected and their kids subjected to foul language. That language has nothing to do with the team, and it seems as if the word is just on this reporter's Twitter page for no apparent purpose.
Resolved: swearing is THE WORST THING EVER.

You might as well be freaking out over seeing the color red. It would seem no less an overreaction.

Quote:
If some people take offense, then there is no overbearing reason to do it. Posters on this board are at the forefront of protecting certain groups from offense for the most trivial of things; why not protect society in general?
If a small enough number of people take offense, then there is no overbearing reason NOT to do it.

And which "most trivial of things" do you see posters on this board calling offensive, dare I ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Not all of Canada is bad. But Maple Leaf fans think their team is like the Dodgers, Lakers, Yankees , etc. The reality is Toronto has not won anything in the NHL in over 50 years. Montreal hasn't won anything in 27 years and their fans are also very stuck up.
I really have no idea what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure I'm talking past you, though I don't think I was being particularly obscure.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Not all of Canada is bad. But Maple Leaf fans think their team is like the Dodgers, Lakers, Yankees , etc.
I don't know what Maple Leaf fans you're talking to, but most Toronto fans that I know are well aware of how crappy their team has been for a long time. And I also know some Torontonians who can't stand the Leafs.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:27 PM

small but very vocal group of fans from Canada are mad we here in NC have a team instead of a Canadian city. So they bash fans here who had nothing to do with getting a team. They bash Sara too even though she was only 5 when the team moved here. Team has been here since 97 and these fans just won't let it go.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
You might as well be freaking out over seeing the color red.
You have no idea the issues I have with red!

Every goddamn time it see that color, I see red!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:09 PM

Looks like she just broke the story that we get an outdoor NHL game here next season.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
What the hell? When did anyone mention racism,death threats to children, or school segregation? You realize that it is possible to take good parts of a society without the additional baggage?
Yeah, that's sort of the point. Society today is less racist, less sexist, less homophobic, etc. etc. than it was fifty years ago. But on the other hand, people say "fuck" more often.

And you seem to feel this means society has degraded.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:33 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Warning

Quote:
Remember when I said I don't care what people say about me on here? That includes the moderators.
Then consider this an official warning for failure to obey moderator instructions.

Thread closed.

Last edited by engineer_comp_geek; 02-13-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Closed Thread