Old 02-11-2020, 09:36 PM

Drawing on a tablet

I have a couple Android tablets. Despite drawing for my living all my adult life, it was all drafting and design, by hand or with CAD software. I was never a freehand artist, but I'd like to try. Which apps? Does someone make a fine tip stylus or am I stuck using the equivalent of my fingertip? Any other suggestions?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:51 PM

You can really small stylus' that are meant for Nintendo DS. I assume they'll work on a tablet.
Many, many apps available.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:04 PM

I have this app installed, just to play around with.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
You can really small stylus' that are meant for Nintendo DS. I assume they'll work on a tablet.
Nope. Not unless it has a resistive touch screen, which no modern tablet employs that I know of.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:49 AM

The stylus question has been answered with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bargains-Depo...=fsclp_pl_dp_2
Old 02-12-2020, 10:22 AM

If you get serious about drawing on a tablet with a stylus, another accessory thatís helpful is a matte screen cover with a paper-like finish. It gives a bit of resistance to the stylus similar to paper, which makes a big difference from trying to draw on a too-slippery surface. Also cuts down on screen glare.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I have a couple Android tablets. Despite drawing for my living all my adult life, it was all drafting and design, by hand or with CAD software. I was never a freehand artist, but I'd like to try. Which apps? Does someone make a fine tip stylus or am I stuck using the equivalent of my fingertip? Any other suggestions?
A couple Samsung tablets have been made with Wacom tech, which enable a fine tip stylus (s-pen). I think they're the only Android tablets with that ability.

Otherwise you're painting with your fingertip. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker given iPads were a bigger market for pro-am ppl way before the Apple pencil was released.

Infinite Painter is maybe the best painting app on Android. I've only used it with s-pen tablets.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
A couple Samsung tablets have been made with Wacom tech, which enable a fine tip stylus (s-pen). I think they're the only Android tablets with that ability.
I recently upgraded my phone to a Galaxy Note 10+, which comes equipped with a stylus. From playing around with it, it feels very natural and good for drawing and note-taking, though I've mainly been using it for precision clicking in Chrome when my fat fingers can't manage to find the link I'm trying to hit.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 AM

On my phone and tablet, I use Autodesk SketchBook, which I prefer over IP

But I also like doodling in an app called Sketcher Pro. It's a procedural drawing tool, and I like the intersection of the purposeful and the serendipitous it produces.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I recently upgraded my phone to a Galaxy Note 10+, which comes equipped with a stylus.
There is also the much cheaper LG Stylo line.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:45 AM

I’ve been experimenting with Adobe Fresco on my iPad and have liked it - if you want to see if there is an Android version. The key feature I like about Freaco is my main interest is oil painting. If I hit a point where I want to experiment with various ideas, I can load a photo of the painting into Fresco and then do my experiments with layers on top of that. It saves me a lot of time.

Last edited by D18; 02-14-2020 at 09:46 AM.