Old 02-08-2020, 08:09 PM

What Is Your Favorite NFL Moment You Witnessed At The Stadium?

I'm a Bengals fan, so I had to think hard, but this is mine, shortly after I got out of the Army and moved to the Cincinnati area from the DC area where I grew up a Redskins fan.

It was 1994. Christmas Eve, last game at the end of another forgotten season, me and my friend Bob and 17,456 of our closest friends braved the swirling winds and blustery snow, mostly due to alcohol. Bengals v Eagles poppin' with the awesome Bubby Brister at QB for the Iggles. Kicked a FG with Pelfrey to tie the game with like 00:04 on the clock. Shit season, we tie with the shit Eagles. Right?

Do we kneel it out and take the tie? HELL TO THE FUCKING NO! Pelfrey executes a perfect onside kick that we recover. Then, in an admirable display of accidentally tripping on our cocks into a win, Pelfrey comes out and bangs a 51 yarder to win the game as the clock expires. It was like Christmas when they won (and it WAS Christmas Eve)!!

THEN, Tom Krumrie was retiring. I was drunk and forgot. He was met at midfield right after the game by a presenter that congratulated him, me, my friend and all those other 17,456 of my so-called friends that were streaming to the exits. THOSE BUTTHOLES!
A grateful and loyal (to a fault) Mike Brown presented Krumrie with a fucking HARLEY as a parting gift for his dedicated years of service. As we wailed like tearful but intoxicated children and openly wept, Krumrie took a victory lap around (and ON) the field before literally riding off into the (gloomy) sunset, into the tunnel and out of my life forever.

**sniff**

Edit or delete this

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 02-08-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Arizona Cardinals beating the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC title game. The biggest sporting event I’ve ever been to live (I don’t count the MLS championship)

Plus, the Cardinals going to the Super Bowl?

2009 was an absolutely horrible year for me, but at least I had that experience.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:27 PM

Saints @ 49ers, 2011-12 season divisional game. Crazy back-and-forth 4th quarter, with many of the veteran Niners players finally getting their moment after grinding for years in futility. I think my wife and I must have just hung out in our seats with a few other stragglers for a good 30 minutes or so after the players had left the field, just taking it all in. Still have the blurry selfie of us with the final score in the background.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

The Comeback - a game so famous it has its own Wikipedia entry.

I was working night shifts at the time so I got home from work, got about three hours of sleep, and then got up to meet my friend and drive to the stadium (which was over an hour drive).

The Bills ended up falling far behind. It was raining. And I had to go back in to work that night. I have never left in the middle of a game but I told my friend if the Bills fell behind by one more touchdown, I would be ready to leave and he agreed.

And that's when they started the comeback.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I was at the 1980 Bears-Packers game at Lambeau, where the underdog Packers took the Bears to overtime, and then won it when a field goal attempt was blocked directly back to kicker Chester Marcol, who somehow managed to run it in for a touchdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2fHoUkG2g
Old 02-11-2020, 07:31 PM

Week 16 1988 Browns 28 Oilers 23 in a miracle comeback by the then good Browns, led by Don Stock in a swirling snowstorm at old Cleveland Stadium. You tube link.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:49 PM

In November 2013, I watched the Mike Glennon-led Tampa Bay Buccaneers pile a 21-0 lead over the Seahawks at CenturyLink Field. They then mounted a comeback and won 27-24 in overtime.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11...-results-score

As a fan in the stands I can say that despite falling in a hole so deep and so quick, neither myself nor did anyone around us ever lose faith. We all told each other they don’t go down like that, especially at home. When they started to come back it vindicated us. I was high-fiving total strangers. It was exhilarating!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:15 AM

Huh, great question. I’ve been to a ton of Redskins games, but I’d have to say this one against the Ravens was my favorite, the one where RG3 had his knee injured, and Kirk Cousins led them back to an improbable victory to hang onto their playoff chances. It really was a crazy finish.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12...-results-score

(I was also at the playoff game later in the season where once again RG3 had his knee injured, this time ending his career as an effective starter. So that part sucked.)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

Easiest answer ever for me.

https://youtu.be/rGtxZlQwxNQ

Second best is probably this one.

https://youtu.be/Jiu52DN8vYA
Old 02-12-2020, 02:01 AM

^^ Nothing beats a fat guy carrying the football.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:20 AM

My buddy Ron called me on a Saturday decades ago and asked if I wanted to go to the Steelers game the next day. I'd never been to an NFL game, so I was stoked. We drove to the stadium in his truck, arriving really early and getting a prime tailgating spot.

Ron brought food, beer, liquor, mixers, etc. It was freezing out but we were bundled up and having a great time. Tailgaters next to us had a bong and we traded them a fifth of JD for some bong hits. It was a truly awesome party.

As game time approached and the parking lot filled to capacity, I asked Ron when we were heading in. Turns out we weren't, as Ron didn't have tickets. We hung out in the parking lot, grilling burgers until halftime, when the cold became too much. It was a great game, although I do not recall the score, nor who we played. Good old Ron.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:33 AM

Having only been to two NFL games I can only cherrypick the highlight from each:

2010, Cowboys-Lions: Bryan McCann returned a punt (first touched by a Detroit player, so 'safe' no matter what) 93 yards for a touchdown.

2019: Cowboys-Seahawks, playoffs: With the Cowboys leading by only three with just a few minutes remaining in regulation, Dak Prescott converted a 3rd-and-14 by running for a first-and-goal to essentially seal the game. Crowd went nuts.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Also, not a "moment" so much as entire game, but I was at the "Snow Bowl" - a 1985 game between the Buccaneers and Packers, played in a blizzard at Lambeau Field.

A foot of snow had fallen overnight, and it was still snowing heavily during the game; fewer than 20,000 people made it to the game. I was home from college for Thanksgiving, and when it was clear that I wasn't making it back to Madison that day, my dad said, "then, come with me to the Packer game!"

The Packers won 21-0, and outgained the Buccaneers, 512 yards to 65. It was clear that the Packers were having fun in the snow, and the Bucs just wanted to get the hell out of there.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:34 PM

Somebody tell me which game it occurred at: the dog running onto the field and pooping.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:57 PM

I've only ever been to two NFL games in the stadium, but I'll vote for the moment at the Thanksgiving 2012 game between the Jets and the Patriots in which I saw a player with my last name on his back score a touchdown for the Jets.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 02-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Not too many NFL games for me, but I did see Neon Deion Sanders debut for the Falcons. He dropped the opening kickoff, everybody groaned, he picked it up and ran for a touchdown. 60,000 instant fans were made that day.

My Dad detested both teams at the time, but was forced to sit through the Ice Bowl as a big JC Penney's vendor was a huge Cowboys fan and insisted on going to the game.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Somebody tell me which game it occurred at: the dog running onto the field and pooping.
Is that a metaphor for the Cleveland Browns?
Old 02-13-2020, 01:25 AM

This answer would be a lot easier for college football, but I'll go with the Titans routing the Rams in a preseason game in 2000 as revenge for Super Bowl XXXIV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
I've only ever been to two NFL games in the stadium, but I'll vote for the moment at the Thanksgiving 2012 game between the Jets and the Patriots in which I saw a player with my last name on his back score a touchdown for the Jets.
1) I actually know someone who shares that player's first and last name. He also has a signed jersey of that player.

2) I don't think I've ever seen that specific game identified in that way before -- but based on your location, I can guess why.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Did this ever happen at an NFL game? Google tells me that it happened in a high school football game in Utah, and a soccer game in Argentina, and a minor-league baseball game in Arkansas, but I certainly don't remember an NFL game where this happened.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:25 AM

I attended the Niners-Cowboys game at the old Texas Stadium in Irving. The one with the hole in the roof, "so God could watch his favorite team play." LOL Texans.

Anyway, Terrell Owens caught a touchdown when the Niners were already up 34-17 in the 4th, and then spiked the football on the Dallas star in the middle of the field. George Teague on the Cowboys took exception...and the fight was on.

I was sitting in the middle of a bunch of Cowboy fans, at the top of the stadium practically. Down one row or so was a couple dressed in 49ers gear. Far from intimidated, the male talked all kinds of trash all game, and it only got worse as the 49ers asskicking got greater and greater. All well-intentioned jawing, but one of the most hilarious times I've ever experienced at a sporting event.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Did this ever happen at an NFL game? Google tells me that it happened in a high school football game in Utah, and a soccer game in Argentina, and a minor-league baseball game in Arkansas, but I certainly don't remember an NFL game where this happened.
Yes, I saw it. It was a long time ago, at least 30 years ago. Everyone applauded.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

My favorite moment was simply being able to attend an NFL game.

It was September 10, 2000. My wife and I were vacationing in Denver, and lucked into a pair of tickets. She, being a native Coloradan, loved the Broncos, but had never been able to go to a game; me, being an NFL football fan from Canada, jumped at the chance to finally attend a game. Off we went.

It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day, at the old Mile High; and the Broncos were taking on the Falcons. I'm a 49ers fan, but I happily joined in with my wife and the Denver fans in cheering for the Broncos. "IN-COM-PLETE!" whenever Atlanta couldn't complete a pass, which chant is apparently traditional in Denver when such things happen, and made me laugh. Denver won the game, 42-14, which made things great, and we joined other fans in heading out of the stadium to celebrate in downtown Denver.

I've seen thousands of football games on TV, but being at the stadium was so much better than watching on TV. So, like I said above, my favorite NFL moment was simply attending a game.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:18 AM

I've been to a fair number of NFL games, but my favorite was probably a Monday Night Football game at Arrowhead in September of 2014. The hated Patriots were the opponent that night, and the Chiefs absolutely crushed them 41-14. The crowd set a record for the loudest stadium with a noise level of 142.2 decibels.

That game, incidentally, featured the NFL debut of Jimmy Garoppolo.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:54 AM

I've only been to a couple of NFL games, but the most memorable was the same day as the OP's game - Christmas Eve, 1994. I went with a friend to the Chiefs/Raiders game, which was notable for a few reasons:

1 - It was Joe Montana's final regular season game. I remember that he threw a pretty long TD pass that most of the crowd around me missed because a big fight broke out in the next section over that got everyone's attention.

2 - It was the last Raiders game in L.A.

3 - The Raiders set a new NFL record in that game for most penalties in a season at that time. The Oakland Raiders tied that record a couple of years later, and then the Chiefs broke it in 1998. Wouldn't have know that if I hadn't had an ear piece in listening to the radio broadcast. It's kind of not the kind of thing you'd expect to get mentioned over the PA system. However...

4 - Marcus Allen went over 10,000 yards rushing in that game. For those who might not remember, he was a long time Raider who finished out his career as a Chief. There was some bad blood between him and Al Davis when he left, and when it happened there was no mention of it at the stadium. Again, I was listening to the radio so I knew, and I waited for a few seconds to see if there would be any kind of announcement. When there wasn't I stood up and shouted the news to anyone around me, and at least in that section there was a little bit of an ovation. Seriously, that was a huge milestone at that time, and I thought it was a dick move on the Raiders' part to just ignore it when it happened.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I don't think I could perform with so many people watching!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:49 PM

December 1979 at beautiful Veterans Stadium (it may have been a toilet, but it was our toilet) when the Eagles won their first playoff game in my lifetime against the Bears.

My friend and I, both high school freshman, ran on the field after the game to celebrate (because it seemed to be the thing to do). In the craziness on the field, I lost my friend, and stopped for a moment to drink it all in. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I got tackled by my significantly-larger-than-me friend, who knocked me onto the frozen astroturf. He helped me up and told me how I could now tell people I got tackled on the field at the Vet.

Last edited by Mr. Greenjeans; 02-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:53 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
4. Oct. 17, 1988 — Bills 37, Jets 14

The “Pumpkin Game” featured 41 incidents of improper behavior in the stands, 15 arrests and 56 ejections. Fans burned complimentary paper hats in the stands and batted around an inflated pumpkin. This game led to the stadium halting beer sales after halftime during night games.
https://nypost.com/2010/01/03/miracl...iants-stadium/

The part about the pumpkin sounds innocent enough but it wasn’t. That’s why it was called “The Pumpkin Game.”

It was in the middle of the horrible Joe Walton era. Fans were angry every game. Chants of “Joe must go.” Happened every game. They really sucked.

For about a week and a half in the 80s painters hats became fashionable. They gave out Jets painters hats before the game. In several sections the hats were gathered into piles and burned.

It was near Halloween and someone brought a giant inflatable pumpkin. It was being knocked around the crowd to the amusement of everyone in the stadium. No one was paying attention to the game. Then it accidentally bounced out of stands and on to the sidelines. Someone grabbed it and ran it into the tunnel. The chant went up, “We Want the Pumpkin!” You might think by reading list that it was a fun good-natured chant. It wasn’t. It was angry. It was give us the pumpkin or we will tear this fucking stadium down to the ground. I’ve never felt anything like it before. Apparently stadium personnel Hadn’t either. As the chant got louder and louder, angrier and angrier, they listened. The pumpkin came back out of the tunnel and was thrown back into the crowd. There was much rejoicing.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM

I've only seen three NFL games live, but I've had good luck with getting good games.

When I was a kid, my dad took me to Dolphins @ Rams in 1986. Not knowing anything about the NFL at that point I was pretty overwhelmed, and I got to see Eric Dickerson score a touchdown, and Dan Marino throw 5, including the winner in OT. Favorite moment: participating in my first-ever bullshit! chant.

Chargers @ Broncos in 2008 was a great game. People might remember it for Ed Hochuli's quick whistle on a Jay Cutler fumble very late in the game, which led to changes to the replay rules for fumbles. My favorite moment was probably seeing a Sproles kickoff return TD.

Chargers @ Steelers was a bit of a runaway for the Chargers. The most memorable play was a wide receiver screen by the Steelers that was ruled a backwards pass, and that the Chargers recovered for a touchdown. The favorite moment of this game for me was realizing that I had better seats than Lynn Swann
Old 02-15-2020, 05:10 PM

My favorite is a Lions/Bucs game I attended with my dad in Detroit back when I was a sophomore in high shool in 2002.

As a Packers fan, my favorite player ever is a #2 WR named Bill Schroeder. He was eventually released by the Packers and the Lions picked him up. At the time, my dad lived in Detroit and got us tickets so I could go see him play. We did a custom NFL jersey with his name and number (he wasn't popular enough to have his own jersey sold in Detroit) and I wore it to the game. Not only was he the "spotlight player" in the program, but it was the best game he ever had as a lion. 100+ yards and a TD. The people in my section (especially those behind me who saw his name and number) kept high fiving me every time he caught a ball and the Lions lost (of course) but it was a really good game and a lot of fun.

A close #2 would be the time I won a raffle at work that gave me free tickets (and a whooooole bunch of other free shit) to a Packers game. For $200 I got 2 tickets, free flights, free food, a gift card and some other goodies. It was a down time in our lives (especially Mrs. Cups) and that trip was a much needed joy.