Old 02-14-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Temporary Device to Lock a Door from the Outside?

I live in an apartment and for various reasons from time to time someone else will need access when Im not there. Id like to find a way to temporarily lock the bedroom door from the outside so I can go about my business but no one else can get in there. The problem is that my landlord is a bit of a PITA and Id like to avoid anything permanent like changing the hardware on the door. Is there a device than can accomplish this?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:01 PM

What kind of door is it? If it has standard dimensions you could just swap the lock cylinder for one of your own, and change it back when you are done.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

The hardware is ancient and rusty - I'd be afraid of tampering with it and getting it back in working order. Looks like this but in much worse shape:
https://momcrieff.com/wp-content/upl...tput_5c2b.jpeg
Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

DPRK, most bedrooms do not have keyed locks.

Here is a locking doorknob cover that prevents the knob from being turned.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:18 PM

Can you ADD a lock to the door? A chain style, with a padlock that only you have the combination to open, for example. If you can add one with a couple of small holes that are easily patched or painted over, that may be an option.

But the worker (I'm assuming landlord's maintenance crew?) may need access to your room, too. If they report to the landlord that work was not completed because they couldn't access your bedroom, there may be trouble.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:34 PM

My own bedroom doors have an ancient privacy mechanism (a standard pin-tumbler lock would not fit in there), but also handles, so a doorknob cover wouldn't work either (I suppose you could cover the handles....)

Sure, you could always start screwing hardware into the frame and/or door (or floor!), but I guess that would count as "permanent"? Swapping out the entire door would be kind of nuts.

Especially if the workmen have to get in there, maybe put valuables in a small safe or secure trunk, or just take them with you if that's reasonable?

Last edited by DPRK; 02-14-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:39 PM

Your landlord might agree to let you install a new doorknob with a lock if you give him a key and leave it when you move out. Shouldn't be that expensive.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I live in an apartment and for various reasons from time to time someone else will need access when Im not there. Id like to find a way to temporarily lock the bedroom door from the outside so I can go about my business but no one else can get in there. The problem is that my landlord is a bit of a PITA and Id like to avoid anything permanent like changing the hardware on the door. Is there a device than can accomplish this?
Even if it's ancient, you can change out a lock without it being "permanent". Hell, you can switch out a whole door and it wouldn't be "permanent". PITA maybe, but not permanent. If you're intimidated in switching it out yourself, get a friend who knows locks, or a locksmith. It's really not that complicated.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I should have been more clear - I don't want to do anything to the current structure - the landlord will freak when he sees it.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Googling, it looks like this product would work. The Amazon listing has better photos of it in use.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Googling, it looks like this product would work. The Amazon listing has better photos of it in use.
That's the kind of thing I'm looking for! Thanks!
Old 02-14-2020, 02:15 PM

So you need something that doesn't require any hardware change, but will only work for you (implying a keyed or combination mechanism.

This is the only thing I can think of that would concievably work (and it might not).
Old 02-14-2020, 02:15 PM

But, no matter what you do, he/she will see something, right?

Now, based on your picture, the question is if the mechanism is rusted solid, or whether the privacy latch can be operated via an appropriate skeleton/blank key inserted in the keyhole. Because they make little locking plugs that block those keyholes.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post

That lock would seem to only work if it is placed on the side of the door which opens in, that is you can only lock yourself in your bedroom. Most bedroom doors open into the bedroom.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:02 PM

Might work. Be sure you can return it.

https://www.amazon.com/Calslock-with.../dp/B00QCR8R14
Old 02-16-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

That lock is virtually identical to the one Dewey Finn posted, and has the same limitation of only working for a swing-open door.

Another limitation of those little locks is that they only keep the honest people honest--a child could open them with a simple raking attack. I would expect any apartment maintenance person to be well versed in basic lock picking and have the tools, if only for the occasional lockouts.

If I were to use one, I would put something in the door frame crack such as a hair or small scrap of paper in order to tell if it were opened.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:26 PM

If I were in that situation, I think I'd set up a Wifi security camera like the Blink, and post a sign saying "Do not enter - under video surveillance".