Old 02-15-2020, 12:40 PM

A block from my house. The Jodi Huisentruit case. Morning news anchor (KIMT-TV) who never made it out of the parking lot of her apartment on her way to work one morning.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:44 PM

In this area, a couple of unsolved murders:
Thomas Wales, Assistant US Attorney, executed in 2001 while he worked from his basement home office in a quiet upscale neighborhood, shot through the window. Authorities have been pretty certain from the start who did it, but have been unable to prove it. Because of the high profile, it's not like they haven't devoted tons of resources to the case. There's a $1 million reward.

A woman and her adult daughter went for a hike back in 2006. They were shot dead, with no useful clues left behind. The woman was a school librarian not far from me. People were afraid to go hiking for a very long time after this happened.

Notorious cases:
Green River Killer: I thought I'd go to my grave not knowing who he was, but he was finally caught and brought to justice.

This lunatic murdered a family of 4, the Goldmark family. The murderer believed right-wing wacko conspiracy theories that the husband was a Jewish commie sympathizer. Not only was he not Jewish or a commie sympathizer, he wasn't even the right Goldmark. The killer was out to get Goldmark's late father.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

You are not the first person to make such a mistake.
Ah, I did misunderstand the term, but I think it may be the same net effect in the long run. In this case, without the body, they may not have been able to say that a crime occurred (father lived far away, and the girlfriend said the victim just disappeared), but the amount of blood allowed the legal system to declare that a crime had been committed

In contrast to the disappearance of the 3 girls. No way to know what happened. Murder? Slavery? People fleeing from abuse?
Old 02-15-2020, 04:02 PM

Pennsylvania here. The disappearance of Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar is still completely unsolved. His cellphone and laptop were found (the laptop in a creek), but he was never seen again.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Another Arizona infamous case was the trial of Jodi Arias.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:54 PM

Australia is still looking for the cute kid in the spiderman suit https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disa...illiam_Tyrrell

But long before him we lost the Beaumont children https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disa...umont_children

And I lived close enough to Eloise that our house was searched as part of the investigation along with all our neighbours https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disa...loise_Worledge rumours were they found a lot of cannabis plants but no Eloise

Karmein Chan was found near my current home but didn't make the news quite so big because she wasn't white https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmein_Chan
Old 02-15-2020, 08:36 PM

I live very close to the sites of the Jack the Ripper murders, but obvs everyone knows about them, and they've already been mentioned.

My Grandmother was murdered on Lambeth Bridge in 1977. (I'm not traumatised - I was a baby, and I've talked about it on the Straight Dope before), beaten to death. "Murder by person or persons unknown" is the cause of death on the certificate. It's not bizarre, really - she was a penniless, homeless alcoholic in her sixties and probably just met some Clockwork Orange-Style bastards who kicked her until they got bored - but it is unsolved and obviously very local to me. I suppose it is a little bizarre because as far as I know she wouldn't have had any enemies so there's no obvious motive.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:45 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/ColdCaseUK/...ichaela_hague/

Local to me was the murder of Michaela Hague on bonfire night 2001. Reddit has a good write up.

Quote:
Michaela was last seen just after 7pm in the Bower Street area, then the red light district of Sheffield, where she had worked for about six months. Witnesses described seeing her getting into a blue, old style Ford Sierra with a roof rack. She was discovered in a car park at Spitalfields at 8pm by another woman who worked the streets. One of the first police officers on the scene was PC Richard Twigg, who wrapped the injured woman in his jacket and wrote down the description she gave him on his hand. He accompanied Michaela to hospital where she sadly died. The postmortem showed that she had been stabbed 19 times to her back and neck, probably while face down on the ground.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
This one happened a few miles from my house in Maryland and it's possible I went to the same high school parties as the guy. I went to a different school but some of my classmates knew him and one's father was his defense attorney. The killings were pretty gruesome:

Biography of Larry Swartz, Convicted Murderer

Johnny Galecki from The Big Bang theory was also in it. And I've seen the case on one of the true-crime shows.
I read that book, and Investigation Discovery recently did a program about it. I didn't know he had died; what a tragic story.

It gets worse.

He was adopted by a second family after he got out of prison, who were inspired to do so after the mother read the book, and they were probably worse than his bio parents! He also changed to his wife's name when he got married; they divorced shortly before he died.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...ence-j_-swartz
Old 02-16-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
I was thinking he was spotted after someone saw the red light from his camcorder, but maybe that was a different weirdo.
I first heard of a story like this in the early 1980s, from one of those Obnoxious Morning Deejays.

This happened just a few days before I was scheduled to leave (and did) on a Girl Scout bus trip, where we would be tent camping. We went to our equivalent of a Jamboree, in Tennessee. A suspect was arrested and tried, but acquitted, and it doesn't look like he did it (he died 2 years later).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklaho..._Scout_murders

As for Jodi Huisentruit, I have always believed that the killer is a man 30 years her senior who was aggressively pursuing her, and she was not interested in a romantic relationship with him. Last I heard, he lived in the Southwest and wouldn't speak to reporters.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I read that book, and Investigation Discovery recently did a program about it. I didn't know he had died; what a tragic story.

It gets worse.

He was adopted by a second family after he got out of prison, who were inspired to do so after the mother read the book, and they were probably worse than his bio parents! He also changed to his wife's name when he got married; they divorced shortly before he died.

Oops, not bio parents; his first adoptive parents!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:

It gets worse.

His adoptive brother was later convicted of murdering a man over a jug of quarters. The brother was the initial suspect in the murder of their adoptive parents but was in a psychiatric hospital miles away at the time.

BROTHER OF KILLER CHARGED IN NEW SLAYING

Quote:
ANNAPOLIS, JULY 10 -- The brother of a man convicted of killing his parents six years ago was charged with murder today in the stabbing of a 57-year-old Annapolis man, Anne Arundel County police said.

Michael David Swartz, 24, whose younger brother, Larry, is serving a 12-year prison sentence for the grisly and highly publicized deaths of their adoptive parents, was arrested at an Annapolis hotel late Monday after he telephoned police with details about the slaying that evening of Robert Austin Bell, police said.

Bell, described by neighbors as a freelance repairer of air conditioners and motors, apparently was killed during an attempted robbery, said Officer V. Richard Molloy, a police spokesman. Molloy said that Swartz and two other area men had gone to Bell's home to steal a large jar of quarters Bell kept in his bedroom. The jar was missing when investigators arrived.

Officials involved in investigating the 1984 stabbing and ax murders of Swartz's parents, Robert and Kathryn Swartz, said they were saddened by the news of his arrest. Initially, Michael Swartz was a suspect in his parents' violent deaths because he had been in trouble as a youth and his parents had kicked him out of their house and gone to court to have him made a ward of the state, said Circuit Judge Warren Duckett, who was Anne Arundel's state's attorney at the time.

Duckett said Larry Swartz tried to blame the murders on his brother by repeatedly telling investigators of Michael's stormy relationship with their parents. Michael was cleared when detectives determined he was at a state pyschiatric hospital at the time of the slayings. Larry Swartz was charged and pleaded guilty to the crimes.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 AM

I worked with this guy at an ISP about 4 years before he disappeared and we often chatted at work. https://ncmissingpersons.org/jonathan-betts/
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Regarding where I'm from, I can't really think of any prominent unsolved cases...Florida people tend to do their weird shit all out in the open.
Jennifer Kesse is still missing.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:37 PM

My home state of Indiana brings us one of the original torture-murders, that of Sylvia Likens in 1965.

In 1992, Indiana became infamous again with the torture-murder of Shanda Sharer, a 12 year old girl who lived about 15 minutes from me. We went to the same junior high school, though different years, and I knew a few of the girls on the periphery of the murder, and had met the mastermind, Melinda Loveless, once, as we had a mutual friend or two.

My current state, Kentucky, gives us Mel Ignatow, who brutally murdered his ex-girlfriend, Brenda Sue Schaefer, after sexually torturing her. He was acquitted of the crime, and was a free man until the missing evidence turned up that proved him guilty. He was brought before a grand jury and, knowing he couldn't be tried or punished due to "double jeopardy" laws, confessed to torturing her, raping her, and killing her while a female friend took pictures. He was subsequently convicted of perjury. From his wiki:

Quote:
Ignatow served five years of an eight-year sentence for perjury. The state later prosecuted him on perjury charges for testimony he gave in a case against Schaefer's employer for threatening to kill Ignatow if he did not reveal where Schaefer was. He was sentenced to nine years for that perjury charge. Ignatow was released from prison for the second time in December 2006. He returned to Louisville, living in a home four miles from the house where he murdered Schaefer.

Last edited by Superdude; 02-16-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:54 PM

Missed the edit window.

This one doesn't qualify in terms of what the OP is looking for, but we have a friend of the family currently on Death Row for murdering a police officer in 1997. The officer arrived at the scene of a domestic dispute, and Vince Stopher rushed the officer, wrestled the cop's gun away from him, and shot the officer in the face. When Vince was arrested, he allegedly said to the other cops (something along the lines of) "I hope that cop fucking dies."

Vince was 24 at the time of the incident. Same age as me at the time. He's been on Death Row ever since. 20+ years.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
My home state of Indiana brings us one of the original torture-murders, that of Sylvia Likens in 1965.

I am without words.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:10 PM

In my little county, in Indiana, was the serial killer nurse. My mom worked with him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_Lynn_Majors
Old 02-16-2020, 03:38 PM

Around here the Big Easy has a rich history of infamous crimes. My personal favorite is the Axe Man murders from 1911-12. Lots of evidence, lots of bodies, not a lot of closure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axeman_of_New_Orleans
Old 02-16-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
My current state, Kentucky, gives us Mel Ignatow, who brutally murdered his ex-girlfriend, Brenda Sue Schaefer, after sexually torturing her. He was acquitted of the crime, and was a free man until the missing evidence turned up that proved him guilty. He was brought before a grand jury and, knowing he couldn't be tried or punished due to "double jeopardy" laws, confessed to torturing her, raping her, and killing her while a female friend took pictures. He was subsequently convicted of perjury. From his wiki:
And the ironic thing about that is that he tortured her over a glass-topped coffee table, and died because he tripped and fell into one, and bled to death while trying to crawl to the phone.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:09 PM

Never let it be said that karma isn't a bitch.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:56 PM

In 1880s Austin, the Servant Girl Annihilator brutally murdered seven women and one man over the course of a year, splitting their heads open with an axe. Interestingly, O. Henry was a resident of Austin at the time and coined the term "Servant Girl Annihilator."

More recently, in 1991 four teenagers were murdered in a yogurt shop in a case that has never been solved. A terrible crime, and the subsequent conviction of two suspects in 1999 was overturned over alleged coerced confessions and the discovery of male DNA at the scene that did not match either suspect.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topologist View Post
The Gilgo Beach murders (what they're generally known as on Long Island).

While searching for Shannan Gilbert, who disappeared in the area in 2010, 10 bodies were found (separately, not in a group) dumped in a marshy area off Ocean Parkway on the South Shore of the Island. Gilbert's body was found later. None of these murders has yet been solved, but speculation of course is that it's the result of one or more serial killers. (Gilbert's death isn't thought to be linked to the others and may have been at least partially an accident, drowning after tripping in the marsh, but she seemed to have been fleeing from ... what?)

Still a mystery, still being investigated, and still popping up in the local news from time to time.
Since you nabbed that one, which was the first to come to my mind, I'll go with Judge Crater. Unsolved disappearance, foul play suspected, about 90 years ago.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroome View Post
Around here the Big Easy has a rich history of infamous crimes. My personal favorite is the Axe Man murders from 1911-12. Lots of evidence, lots of bodies, not a lot of closure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axeman_of_New_Orleans
I read this book a while back, and the author believes that the Villisca axe murderer did that one as well. That he possibly committed a mass murder in GERMANY a decade later was a bit of a stretch (juuuuust a bit......) but he did make some interesting links between that one and many others.

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Train-Dis...V2PBV6HRDM0TMH
Old 02-16-2020, 10:49 PM

I have not heard this elsewhere, or seen it online (and there may be some very good reasons for this) but I used to work with a woman whose husband was in the Texas National Guard in 2003, and they were the main crew who searched the debris field after the crash of the Columbia. They were looking for 7 bodies, and in fact found 9; IIRC, those two "extra" bodies turned out to be the work of a serial killer in the region, and one of those people had not even been reported missing at the time.

Her husband found "something", if you will, but out of respect for the victim, I will not say who or what it was. Everyone who does something like that has to get counseling, but in his case, he continued it after the required sessions were completed.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:34 AM

The area I grew up in is probably best known for holding one of the first Child Sex Abuse Witch Hunts:
https://www.historylink.org/File/7065

I knew one of the accused couples and they pretty much lost everything. Ended up receiving a large settlement years later.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post

I am without words.
The abuse Likens suffers inspired the creepy as fuck song "Basement" by the Pain Teens

Last edited by Superdude; 02-17-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:55 PM

Not exactly in the spirit of my own thread, since I'm not 100% sure on where this happened, but it's interesting none-the-less, as it technically involves family.

My dad has a cousin who came home to discover his wife cheating on him. He proceeded to then murder both her and the guy she was cheating on him with. Since most of my family is in Wisconsin, I'm guessing that's where this happened, but can't say for sure. I do know it was before I was born in '88.

Just weird to think I'm related to a murderer.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post

I am without words.
This is horrifying. Like, without the sexual components it's comparable to A Child Called It. With them...holy shit. That poor, poor girl. I'm horrified.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:00 PM

Not completely unsolved so much as only partially solved: serial killer Robert Breest of New Hampshire.

The linked article is rather sketchy but it is my recollection that he was suspected of a number of murders for which he was never charged.

He was suspected of killing my math teacher's girlfriend, whose murder was unsolved when I was in high school (I don't know if they ever positively identified the killer) and my mother was fascinated by Breest. She even took me to court to watch his trial one day!

My mother had a theory that my math teacher was a closeted gay and so deliberately sought out self-destructive women to date, so he'd have an excuse to break up with them. Further (according to her theory), this strategy was so effective that he actually managed to date a woman who got herself offed by a serial killer - thus freeing up the teacher to grieve eternally and never have to date a woman again.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:37 PM

Some more from New Hamshire(Or New Hamp-shaa):

Maura Murray---a 21 year old college student who disappeared after a car accident in the northern part of the state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disapp...f_Maura_Murray

The Bear Brook murders--- four female murder victims who were found in 55-gallon drums near Bear Brook State Park(two in 1985, two in 2000).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Brook_murders

Pamela Smart---a teacher who convinced her teenage lover to murder her husband in 1990
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_Smart
Old 02-19-2020, 10:23 AM

When I was a student at Kent State University in Ohio in 1978, a young woman, Judy Martins, went missing while walking between dorms on campus. IIRC it was about 1 am, and she had donned a silly wig to go play a joke on a friend in a neighboring dorm. She disappeared while walking the short distance back to her own dorm, which was not far from the dorm I lived in. Since it happened right at the end of the school year, the story kind of faded away, but I know she was never found. There were claims of sightings of her working in the sex trade in Columbus, but those proved false. The story really didn't get as much publicity as other cases, but I remember the searches that went on at the time, and aerial searches we were told were looking for her.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Massachusetts has the infamous murder of Abby and Andrew Borden No one was ever convicted of them, though Lizzie did stand trial and was acquitted. And inspired a song.

Ann Marie Burr lived in Ted Bundy's uncle's neighborhood, and disappeared when she was 8 and Bundy was 14. Her body was never found, and Bundy never admitted to it, though consevepedia claims he did it.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
In 1992, Indiana became infamous again with the torture-murder of Shanda Sharer, a 12 year old girl who lived about 15 minutes from me. We went to the same junior high school, though different years, and I knew a few of the girls on the periphery of the murder, and had met the mastermind, Melinda Loveless, once, as we had a mutual friend or two.
What was your impression of Ms. Loveless? That name is certainly appropriate for her upbringing; what a trainwreck she came from!

I was living in the area when this heavily publicized murder happened; a 9-year-old girl went missing and was found a few days later in a shallow grave, and a 15-year-old neighbor was arrested a few days later, and eventually convicted.

A 15-year-old GIRL.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/alyssa-bustamante

This homicide, also involving teenagers, made national headlines when it happened. Every year, the victim's father has a memorial carwash to raise money for people who want to get a GED but can't otherwise afford it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...ianne_Reynolds
Old 02-20-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
What was your impression of Ms. Loveless? That name is certainly appropriate for her upbringing; what a trainwreck she came from!

I was living in the area when this heavily publicized murder happened; a 9-year-old girl went missing and was found a few days later in a shallow grave, and a 15-year-old neighbor was arrested a few days later, and eventually convicted.

A 15-year-old GIRL.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/alyssa-bustamante

This homicide, also involving teenagers, made national headlines when it happened. Every year, the victim's father has a memorial carwash to raise money for people who want to get a GED but can't otherwise afford it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...ianne_Reynolds
Honestly? I thought she was kinda cute. It was just a meeting in passing, so I didn't spend any real time with her. I only remembered her when the news broke because I called the mutual friend and asked if it was the same girl. She's a few years younger than I am, so we never went to school together or anything.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

One current on in NYC is the murder of Tessa Majors. Two 14 year old boys have been arrested and pled "not guilty."

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 02-20-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Fresno, CA I lived about 200 yards from this model citizen. Had to take a pretty dramatic set of detours to get home that day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Wesson

Last edited by drachillix; 02-20-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I've lived in Colorado a little over 4 years. I think the Jon Benet Ramsey murder is the state's most prominent unsolved case.
Police are still uncertain about how her parents escaped charges. And by 'police' I mean 'everyone who isn't a cop'.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:19 PM

In southern Ontario, the first thing that sprang to mind was the case of Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka, in the early to mid 1990s. As husband and wife, they raped and murdered three teenage girls, including Karla's younger sister Tammy. Paul was also know as the Scarborough Rapist.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Police are still uncertain about how her parents escaped charges. And by 'police' I mean 'everyone who isn't a cop'.
I don't think her parents did it, although how much they were involved, or knew, may be another story.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
Fresno, CA I lived about 200 yards from this model citizen. Had to take a pretty dramatic set of detours to get home that day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Wesson
"He homeschooled the children and taught them from his own handwritten Bible that focused on Jesus Christ being a vampire."

Erm...okay than...freaky dude...
Old 02-21-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Since we're mentioning really bad murders and murderers there is one that will stay with me forever. It's the most disgusting thing I have ever read. I will not provide a link, and I will put the name of the victim in a spoiler box. Google if you dare.

SPOILER:
WARNING: Only if you date, google "Lattie McGee."
Old 02-21-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
"He homeschooled the children and taught them from his own handwritten Bible that focused on Jesus Christ being a vampire."

Erm...okay than...freaky dude...
I actually wouldn't mind reading that...
Old 02-21-2020, 12:58 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Undead.
Offers eternal life via blood drinking.
Checks out.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Since we're mentioning really bad murders and murderers there is one that will stay with me forever. It's the most disgusting thing I have ever read. I will not provide a link, and I will put the name of the victim in a spoiler box. Google if you dare.
I need brain bleach. Holy fuck.

I should have heeded your advice, Annie-Xmas.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

In 1981 five year old Jackie Hay went missing in Topeka. There were massive searches, and the case is as cold as hell. She would be forty-four now, if she were alive.

http://www.kake.com/story/38995620/m...-hay-cold-case
Old 02-22-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
In 1981 five year old Jackie Hay went missing in Topeka. There were massive searches, and the case is as cold as hell. She would be forty-four now, if she were alive.

http://www.kake.com/story/38995620/m...-hay-cold-case
I'm assuming that BTK's involvement has been excluded?
Old 02-22-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

BTK was Wichita, not Topeka. His killings were adults and this was a little girl.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Another Arizona moster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_William_Fisher

He disappeared, and they later found his truck and dog in the mountains. And that's it.

Last edited by campp; 02-22-2020 at 09:13 AM.