Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
As I've said before, I've changed my tune on Trump and no longer think well of him as a person and I didn't vote for him for president.

That said, I also have a hard time abiding the ridiculous, over the top reactions, dishonesty and nitpicking that goes on around here in regard to him. The truth is the truth even when it applies to reprehensible people. So with that it mind I'll state my view on the following:

Narcissistic personality disorder is indicated by five or more of the following symptoms:

[Exaggerates own importance] The guy is the president of the United States. How much more important can you get?
Biggest inauguration crowd ever. 'John Baron' talking up his sexual supremacy to the NY media. Greatest president in history. Check.

Quote:
[Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence or ideal romance] Fantasies? Looks to me that he was long ago blessed with or achieved all of these, save maybe ideal romance, which I've never gotten the impression he even desires.
Stable genius. Check.

Quote:
[Believes he or she is special and can only be understood by other special people or institutions] Possibly.
See above. Check.

Quote:
[Requires constant attention and admiration from others] Don't know about 'requires' but he definitely revels in it.
That sickening cabinet meeting. Every leader who knows he has to start with how wonderful Trump is or he won't listen to anything. Check.

Quote:
[Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment] Haven't seen much evidence of this. On the other hand he gets so much unfavorable treatment that my guess is he'd happily settle for neutral treatment.
Fake news and how it's being so unfair to him. Obama 'tappping' him. The 'witch hunt.' Check.

Quote:
[Takes advantage of others to reach his or her own goals] Defnintely.

[Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy] Definitely

[Is often envious of others or believes other people are envious of him or her] Many people are clearly envious of him. I don't know that being aware of that fact says anything about him at all.
Every foreign strongman. Obama's popularity. Oh my freaking Og Putin. Check.

Quote:
[Shows arrogant behaviors and attitudes] Yep.

So he get 3 definites and a couple of maybes. So, borderline narcissistic maybe?
I count 9.

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 01-17-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM

Bah again. Too many quotes.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
The Montreal Cognitive Assessment is a publically available test. Anyone with an internet connection can download it. Someone who was suffering from cognitive impairment but didn't want anyone to know could easily get a copy of the test, practice taking it, then score 30 out of 30 regardless of their cognitive impairment.

With a few days practice, even someone with significant decline could memorize "lion, rhino, camel".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
So the Prez finds a short cognitive test online where both the questions and the answers are easily found, requests that this particular test be given to him, and he gets a perfect score!
X infinity, folks.
Frankly, if you are far enough gone to flunk the Montreal test, you very well may lack the short term memory necessary to cram for it.

That said, if Trump suffers a stroke, administering the MCA again might provide a diplomatic method of persuading him to resign or persuading others to invoke the 25th. I'd still prefer -for any President- a range of tests which could establish a sturdier baseline.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Oh Christ, the man who nearly single handedly passed the Civil Rights Act was a racist? Go ahead, pull my other leg. Ignorance? To describe LBJ? Please. Perpetual lying? Got any examples?
Seriously? How much time do you have?

LBJ loved to use the N-word and used to refer to the Civil Rights Act of 1957, as "the N****r Bill" in more than one private conversation with Senate colleagues. He said after appointing African-American judge Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, “Son, when I appoint a n****r to the court, I want everyone to know he’s a n****r.”

Per historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, LBJ said:

Quote:
These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there’ll be no way of stopping them, we’ll lose the filibuster and there’ll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again.
His biographer Robert Caro wrote that when a black chauffeur told LBJ that he preferred to be called by his name rather than "boy" or "n****r," LBJ replied:

Quote:
As long as you are black, and you’re gonna be black till the day you die, no one’s gonna call you by your goddamn name. So no matter what you are called, nigger, you just let it roll off your back like water, and you’ll make it. Just pretend you’re a goddamn piece of furniture.
Per Ronald MacMillan, a former Air Force One steward, said LBJ said the now-infamous quote while talking on Air Force One with two governors:

Quote:
“I’ll have them niggers voting Democratic for two hundred years.”

Did he support the Civil Rights Bill out of political opportunism? Yes. Was he a racist? Undoubtedly.

Ignorance: LBJ was politically canny, but he was an ignorant crude backwoods fuck. He liked to take a dump on the toilet while forcing his subordinates to listen to his demands, pee in his office sink in the presence of young women secretaries while flinging his dong around and telling them what a workout it got the previous night. He liked to hold his pet dog up by its ears for photographs for the press and laugh while the dog howled in pain, telling the press that it didn't hurt a a dog to suspend it by its ears. (See: http://www.history.com/s3static/vide...ll_624x352.jpg)

He grew up racist and pig-ignorant. He thought black people were particularly afraid of snakes (aren't we all?) so as a young man he would put a captured snake in the trunk of his car and try to trick black gas station attendants into opening it up, a stunt he pulled repeatedly until he almost got beaten to death with a tire iron for his stupidity.

He abused his devoted wife physically and emotionally, cheated on her non-stop, felt up other women while she was in the room.

Yep, pig-ignorant.

Perpetual Lying: As evidence, I offer you the Pentagon Papers. LBJ fucking lied like a motherfucking rug to the American people about the failure of the U.S. policy in Vietnam. Be serious.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
You can't run for president without having a large ego, so I think they're pretty much all egomanics. But I don't see a lot of narcissism until Donald came along.
Again, seriously?

Quote:
April 2009: Obama gives Queen Elizabeth an iPod:

White visiting the Queen, Obama gave her an iPod, prompting raised eyebrows from the British Press. The MP3 player came pre-loaded with photos from President Obama’s inauguration and audio files of the president’s speech as a senator to the 2004 Democratic National Convention and his 2009 inauguration address.

The queen reportedly already had an iPod.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/health...pta/index.html

FWIW, CNN says that Tmurp underwent a coronary calcium CT scan that indicated he does have "moderate" heart disease. Also, his LDL has increased despite taking rosuvastatin.
Quote:
His score is 133, and anything over 100 indicates plaque is present and that the patient has heart disease. According to Trump's official medical records, in 2009 his coronary calcium score was 34. In 2013, it was 98.
So maybe not quite as superhuman as he is trying to make himself out to be.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Again, seriously?
Quote:
April 2009: Obama gives Queen Elizabeth an iPod:

White visiting the Queen, Obama gave her an iPod, prompting raised eyebrows from the British Press. The MP3 player came pre-loaded with photos from President Obama’s inauguration and audio files of the president’s speech as a senator to the 2004 Democratic National Convention and his 2009 inauguration address.

The queen reportedly already had an iPod.

Do you seriously believe that that comes within a country mile of Trump's self-aggrandizement?

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 01-17-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
Glass houses...but then, I guess it's hard to be wrong if you never provide any facts.

One question. Answer Yes or No. Don't beg off, or try to change the subject.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/cond...ality-disorder

According to this definition, is Trump a narcissist?
That sounds alot like my 2 Siamese cats.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

That iPod story is certainly a stretch. Heads of state routinely exchange gifts with one another, generally ones that represent their country. Apple is a national champion, so it makes sense to give it to the Queen.

Since we're here to fight ignorance, I will correct Arizona Mike's oversight and report the sourcing of his commentary: it's from the far right Washington Examiner.

The Guardian didn't think the gift was exceptional when it was given:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...nts-queen-ipod

The Sydney Morning Herald didn't see anything amiss when it was given:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-l...261694371.html

Politico said, "So the new iPod could be an upgrade for the queen. So far the Ipod gift hasn’t resulted in the kind of “what was he thinking” response in the British press that came with the DVD gift."
https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...the-cut-020788

So far, the only news sites I could find with their panties in a bunch were US conservative ones.

In short, pending additional information, I'd say that the characterization presented by Arizona Mike is misleading. To be fair, it does faithfully present the modern American conservative mentality, which is an addition to this discussion. Drawing such a parallel to Trump's gaffes displays, IMHO, distorted perceptions and less than 100% quality judgment by modern conservative chroniclers.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 01-17-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Again, seriously?
Quote:
The MP3 player came pre-loaded with photos from President Obama’s inauguration and audio files of the president’s speech as a senator to the 2004 Democratic National Convention and his 2009 inauguration address.
Yeah, and John Denver visited the Chinese Premier and gave him a complete set of Denver's music. What's your point?

If the Queen invited me for a visit, I'm not sure what I'd offer as a present. Anybody know if she already has a rice cooker?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioWave View Post
[Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment]

Remember, you can't spell "presumptuous" without "Trump".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
There was then-Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R) and former mayor David Dinkins (D). TV stars Frank and Kathie Lee Gifford, who were major donors. And there was a seat saved for Steven Fisher, a developer who had given generously to build the nursery.

Then, all of a sudden, there was Donald Trump.

“Nobody knew he was coming,” said Abigail Disney, another donor sitting on the dais. “There’s this kind of ruckus at the door, and I don’t know what was going on, and in comes Donald Trump. [He] just gets up on the podium and sits down.”

Trump was not a major donor. He was not a donor, period. He’d never given a dollar to the nursery or the Association to Benefit Children, according to Gretchen Buchenholz, the charity’s executive director then and now.
This is from a 1996 ribbon cutting for a school for children suffering from AIDS. Trump stole a seat from an actual donor and stood on stage accepting the applause and adoration of the crowd just because he's Donald Trump.
Interesting story, but so what? Obama gave the Queen a copy of Obama's own speech. Same-same.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 PM

Well, it's fair to say Trump won't be offering any gifts, since he ain't freaking going there.

Maybe Melanie could send make-up tips in the interim.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/health...pta/index.html

FWIW, CNN says that Tmurp underwent a coronary calcium CT scan that indicated he does have "moderate" heart disease. Also, his LDL has increased despite taking rosuvastatin.

So maybe not quite as superhuman as he is trying to make himself out to be.
Not really. You need to look at what's normal for a guy his age. At 71, the 50th percentile point for a Calcium Index score is 161, which means he's better than average for a guy his age. A score of 133 would be much more of a concern for a guy who is 40, not so much for a guy who is 71.

Last edited by John Mace; 01-18-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Interesting story, but so what? Obama gave the Queen a copy of Obama's own speech. Same-same.
Maybe the Queen or her office had mentioned that she liked his speeches. It is certainly true that the Queen and her family are on unusually friendly terms with the Obamas even now that he has left office, so clearly she wasn't bothered by the gift at all.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
The question was whether Trump expects special treatment just because of who he is. This is a pretty blatant example that he does. Secondly, whether Obama is a narcissist himself has no bearing on whether Trump is also narcissistic.

(or is this a whoosh?)
Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
If the Queen invited me for a visit, I'm not sure what I'd offer as a present. Anybody know if she already has a rice cooker?
She does. His name's Nigel. Nice bloke; his family has been doing it for generations.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Except that automation is about to destroy the plans his family made for him.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
That iPod story is certainly a stretch. Heads of state routinely exchange gifts with one another, generally ones that represent their country. Apple is a national champion, so it makes sense to give it to the Queen.

Since we're here to fight ignorance, I will correct Arizona Mike's oversight and report the sourcing of his commentary: it's from the far right Washington Examiner.

The Guardian didn't think the gift was exceptional when it was given:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...nts-queen-ipod

The Sydney Morning Herald didn't see anything amiss when it was given:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-l...261694371.html

Politico said, "So the new iPod could be an upgrade for the queen. So far the Ipod gift hasn’t resulted in the kind of “what was he thinking” response in the British press that came with the DVD gift."
https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...the-cut-020788

So far, the only news sites I could find with their panties in a bunch were US conservative ones.

In short, pending additional information, I'd say that the characterization presented by Arizona Mike is misleading. To be fair, it does faithfully present the modern American conservative mentality, which is an addition to this discussion. Drawing such a parallel to Trump's gaffes displays, IMHO, distorted perceptions and less than 100% quality judgment by modern conservative chroniclers.
I think you're completely missing the point. The issue is not the iPod itself, which is an odd but not narcissistic gift. It was the narcissism of including his speeches on there, as if he felt the Queen would benefit from hearing them. I think that after he received the Nobel Prize, for what no-one is still entirely sure, probably made him feel that he was the new peacock of the world scene.

Obama's narcissism would make Trump's narcissism (which is considerable) do a double take. Consider the preening of his nomination victory speech:

Quote:
I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals.
Obama's "gaffe displays", such as the Marine "Corpse" (said repeatedly), the "57 states", "“The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries," calling his own grandmother "a typical white person," referring to his "Muslim faith" in an interview with George Stephanopolous, referring to the Austrian language, etc., are pretty well known. He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 01-18-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 AM

If you really want to start an Obama v Trump narcissism and gaffe off I don't think it's going to go very well for you. Especially considering you have 8 years to choose from and Trump hasn't even been president for a year.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you're completely missing the point. The issue is not the iPod itself, which is an odd but not narcissistic gift. It was the narcissism of including his speeches on there, as if he felt the Queen would benefit from hearing them. I think that after he received the Nobel Prize, for what no-one is still entirely sure, probably made him feel that he was the new peacock of the world scene.

Obama's narcissism would make Trump's narcissism (which is considerable) do a double take. Consider the preening of his nomination victory speech:

Obama's "gaffe displays", such as the Marine "Corpse" (said repeatedly), the "57 states", "“The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries," calling his own grandmother "a typical white person," referring to his "Muslim faith" in an interview with George Stephanopolous, referring to the Austrian language, etc., are pretty well known. He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
From here.
Quote:
Claim: If any other of our presidents had given the Queen of England an IPod Containing videos of his speeches, would you have thought it a proud Moment For America?

Partly true. It's true that the president and first lady gave Queen Elizabeth II a video iPod when they visited Buckingham Palace in 2009. But there was more uploaded to the device than the president's 2009 inauguration speech and his 2004 speech at the Democratic National Convention when he was a state senator. ABC News' Jake Tapper reported that dozens of well-known musical show tunes were uploaded on the iPod given to the queen, as well as photos and video from the queen's visits to the United States in 1957 and 2007. There were also photos from the 2009 presidential inauguration. Tapper reported that the Obamas also gave the queen "a rare musical songbook signed by Richard Rodgers."

The White House said the queen had requested the iPod, according to a report from Fox News' Major Garrett. While the queen reportedly already had an audio-only version of the iPod, she did not have one capable of playing video. The queen's gift to Obama? A signed photo of herself, and the Duke of Edinburgh, in a silver frame.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:18 AM

Aren't you people tired yet?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
She does. His name's Nigel. Nice bloke; his family has been doing it for generations.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Obama's narcissism would make Trump's narcissism (which is considerable) do a double take.
That half-Muslim half-"white" sure is uppity. Recently his baby momma had the audacity to go to the beach without wearing a burqa! All the smartest Americans are disgusted with her voluptuous figure. Has that porn show at the beach been Pitted at SDMB yet?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Obama's narcissism would make Trump's narcissism (which is considerable) do a double take.
No offense, but you are in serious far-right lalaland.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ya think?

Here, let me Trumpify that Obama quote for you:

"I am absolutely certain that generations from now, I will be able to look back and tell my children that this was the moment when I began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when I began to slow the rise of the oceans and heal my planet; this was the moment when I ended a war and secured my nation and restored my image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when I came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect my very best self, and my highest ideals. Also, I won the electoral college, which everybody said was impossible. And I would've won the popular vote if not for all the illegals voting, and won very bigly."
Old 01-18-2018, 03:28 PM

Moderating

Quote:
If you have to preface what you're saying with "no offense", I'd take that as an opportunity to consider what you're posting. In this instance, this is not okay. Do not personalize arguments in this fashion.

I think this thread has run its course, if it were ever really on a course. Rather than call out all the other borderline comments, I'm going to close it. While actual discussion of the mental state of a public figure is permissible in this forum, we've gone into near Pit land now of ranting. I invite anyone who wants to continue ranting and sniping to do so in the Pit. Even pick one of the existing threads - there may be one or two available.

[/moderating]
Closed Thread