Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Very late, but: good job. That guy was absolutely embarrassing. Basically every BS antivaxxer trope in the book, and you did a pretty damn good job of shredding them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatterpunk View Post
Agreed. Well done.
Thank you.

Markus wrote following vile article about me:

http://www.fhfn.org/shocking-vaccine...ateral-damage/

Sad, stupid, little bastard. One day he's going to finally stop hating his poor child because she's broken in his eyes. And one day they're going to develop a vaccine to prevent type I diabetes and blow his tiny mind.

He's also a miserable, lying coward. He posted a nasty review of the book on Amazon. He denied it even though the false name he used was the exact same name he used to reply to comments people were making about his self published drivel. When confronted on it in pm's he offered to take the review down if we would stop mocking him online and stop writing comments about his shitty little piece of creative typing. I don't respond to blackmail so I told the fuck to go to hell. He took it down without apology.

He wrote another hit piece on me right afterwards. In the comments, several posters stated they would like to hurt me and my children. Rather than being a decent human being and indicating that threats of physical violence are not acceptable, he agreed with the threats. Then the NVIC, an anti-vax organization run by that lying bitch Barbara Loe Fisher, ran the article on their Facebook page, complete with comments urging physical harm against me and my daughters. I am not against freedom of speech but I think we can all agree that no one should be allowed to suggest that a lynch mob show up and hurt a mother and her two little girls. They finally removed it about 24 hours later.

He's a lousy parent who should give his poor child up to someone to raise who doesn't see her as broken because she has a chronic but treatable medical condition. He teaches. If he did so in my school district I would do everything I could to get his ass fired, especially after he admitted to showing up in school sick from the flu. He basically shrugged and suggested it would probably help the students develop better immune systems. Given that his own poor child probably has less resistance to the flu because of her medical condition, he's also an irrational lunatic who could have easily put her in danger.

He's a toad. A boil on the ass of humanity. A insult to common sense and scientific progress. A Luddite mindlessly smashing things because he fails to understand them. I would gladly see him sent to a small island somewhere where he can lobby for all the contagious diseases he likes and not hurt anyone else in the process.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:22 PM

When you're ready, tell us how you really feel.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
When you're ready, tell us how you really feel.
I would tell you what my husband said about him, but I don't think that kind of language is allowed in this forum.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:30 AM

I loved the way he painted every parent who vaccinates according to the CDC schedule as "irresponsible", because they were "following a bandwagon". Yes, nothing says "responsible parenting" like unnecessarily exposing your child to disease. What a disgusting cunt. People like that deserve to get smallpox.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I loved the way he painted every parent who vaccinates according to the CDC schedule as "irresponsible", because they were "following a bandwagon". Yes, nothing says "responsible parenting" like unnecessarily exposing your child to disease. What a disgusting cunt. People like that deserve to get smallpox.
But their kids don't.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
But their kids don't.
Indeed, that's the truly depressing part about all of this. These fuckwits aren't the ones to suffer. Their children are.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 PM

Many vaccine preventable diseases are hugely contagious. For example, measles. It will infect about 90% plus of all people coming into contact with it if they are not vaccinated. Hep b can linger on surfaces for up to a week. The only vaccine-preventable illness that is not contagious is tetanus.

The problem with many vaccine-preventable illnesses is that they are horrible on babies and young children and far more dangerous than in adults. For example, you and I may not enjoy a bout of pertussis but we'll often shrug it off. A baby, OTOH, faces a one in two hundred and fifty risk of death and a one in a hundred risk of brain damage. A small child will run a huge risk of liver cancer from Hep b that an adult will not. A baby who gets measles will run a risk of the fatal complication known as SSPE that again adults do not. This is why delaying is dumb. It doesn't reduce the risk of a vaccine reaction. It does leave babies and young children deliberately vulnerable when they are most at risk.

It is IMO the reason why the anti-vax stance is so cruel. Jenny McCarthy will probably not be at risk from a measles outbreak. The same cannot be said of the same children she allegedly wants to protect.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:16 PM

I start a new job Monday. There is a good chance of occasional contact with raw sewage. The employer encourages and pays for hep-B vaccinations. I won't be opting out. I am current on DPT as well.

Also I have been plugging the book on free-thinker/skeptic sites.

Thanks for the effort and enduring the rage of fools. You have done the world a service.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo View Post
I start a new job Monday. There is a good chance of occasional contact with raw sewage. The employer encourages and pays for hep-B vaccinations. I won't be opting out. I am current on DPT as well.

Also I have been plugging the book on free-thinker/skeptic sites.

Thanks for the effort and enduring the rage of fools. You have done the world a service.
That's very kind of you. Thank you.

FYI, I present to you what Ms. Lucy Brenton thought of the book and me (in the comments section):

http://www.jewishjournal.com/jews_and_mormons

Quote:
Lucy Brenton · Follow · Top Commenter · Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis · 103 followers

Stacy Mintzer Herlihy Oh look! It's the big pHARMa shill who wrote the meaningless book forwarded by dr. Off-it for Profit. You know, the guy who sold his rotavirus vaccine patent for nearly $200,000,000??? Yeah, his profits are estimated at $42,000,000 just for his share of the patent. Poisoning helpless babies is pretty profitable. I guess being an "author" of a book whose talking points are all made for you by the manufacturer should make you credible. Clearly, Stacy, you're a hack. You're writing style sucks. I didn't pay to read your book - I read it at the local library. It was not only poorly written, but was fool of so many errors and so much disinformation that I wasn't aware you could fit that much crap on a single printed page.
I suppose I am "fool of errors" but then what you do expect of a HARM?

This is the same person who asked if I was a ghostwriter. Heh.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
This is the same person who asked if I was a ghostwriter. Heh.
I've been accused online of really being Paul Offit under an assumed name.

What should I do with my hundreds of millions of ill-gotten dollars (or billions, I forget exactly how much pHARMa paid me)? Buy a small country and forcibly vaccinate all the inhabitants?
Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM

That article annoyed me so I wrote to the editor of the Jewish Journal. He gave me equal time!

http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion...d_my_daughters
Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

I read it on facebook and commented. Good on you!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:12 PM

...Awesome. You go girl! Slight critique:

Quote:
Because polio isn't quite gone from the planet
I think you mean Smallpox.

And of course, Anne "Should Get Smallpox And Die In A Fire" Dachel has started spamming the comments section. Anything you can do about that?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:35 PM

Also, if one of you is Dorit, hi-five. Seriously.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
I read it on facebook and commented. Good on you!
Thank you.

Quote:
...Awesome. You go girl! Slight critique:

I think you mean Smallpox.

And of course, Anne "Should Get Smallpox And Die In A Fire" Dachel has started spamming the comments section. Anything you can do about that?
I am not going to comment. They will jump on me and I don't have the energy. It's all I can do not rip out Dachel's face sometimes. She keeps yammering on about how parents have understandable fears on this issue. The reason why? Because of idiots like her! I also want to tell her to take her unvaccinated vs. vaccinated study calls and then jump out of plane without a parachute with them. Because I don't think parachutes work so she needs to prove me wrong.

Quote:
Also, if one of you is Dorit, hi-five. Seriously.
Dorit is the way coolest person but she is not me or Kolga. She's a law professor and an all around amazing person. I've had the honor of meeting her but that's about it.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Mike Godfrey. shudders
Old 09-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Ugh. How do you put up with these people all the time. One evening and I'm burnt out.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 09-23-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 PM

I meant more like getting the site administrator to ban her from commenting on your articles. I flagged her comments as spam, because that's what they are, and I strongly recommend everyone else do so.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Ugh. How do you put up with these people all the time. One evening and I'm burnt out.
I co-authored a book thinking I would say all I had to say on this issue and be done with it . . .

Quote:
I meant more like getting the site administrator to ban her from commenting on your articles. I flagged her comments as spam, because that's what they are, and I strongly recommend everyone else do so.
I have no control over comments alas. If I did, I would perma-ban the Daschel-bot from the entire internet. I'm sick of that ass. She shows up on every last article on this subject and then quotes herself. Or Wakefield. Or whatever anti-vax moron she and her ilk have anointed as prophet of the week. She also goes on and on and on and on about the alleged payments we're all making to defend vaccines but she's the one literally being paid to post. Yeah Annie. You're on the payroll and we aren't, you whiny assed hypocrite.

She's just so damned stupid. The Chicago millionaire I was writing about is Mercola not Mayer Eisenstein. They're all so damned dumb. The 780,000 annual deaths from hep b figure is from the WHO, Gottstein. It's called google, you ninny. Use it.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:12 AM

That's some serious outbreak of Dachel-botitis in the comments section.

A good antidote is Dr. Paul Offit's op-ed in the Wall St. Journal today, about increasing outbreaks of vaccine-preventable disease, traceable in part to fashionable anti-vax views among parents in wealthy enclaves of southern California (and the fringe pediatricians who cater to them).

I didn't see the usual combatants show up in the comments I looked at, but they'll no doubt be converging there before long.

*When will LavenderBlue gain the "honor" of a hit piece on Age of Autism (a website largely run by and for antivaxers)**? You'll know you've really arrived when that crowd targets you.
**or even more repulsively, the "Bolen Report".
Old 09-25-2014, 11:24 AM

I have already had the "honor" of showing up on the Age of Autism. Here one idiot writer can't figure out that I wrote the book with Kolga rather than the esteemed Dr. Offit.

Quote:
http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/07/v...able.html#more

Stacy Mintzer Herlihy, who with multimillionaire vaccine industrialist Dr. Paul Offit co-wrote Your Baby’s Best Shot: Why Vaccines Are Safe and Save Lives,
He wrote the foreword not the book.

I'm also so sick of hearing from people like her that nothing will happen if we don't vaccinate. From a private email exchange with Dr. Offit:

Quote:
Dear Dr. Offit,

Are children who are susceptible to vaccine reactions also susceptible to serious side effects from vaccine-preventable diseases? That would seem to make sense, right? If you going to get hurt from the MMR, wouldn't you be equally at risk from an actual case of the measles or the mumps?

I am writing a piece for a blog about this premise. Thank you!

-- Stacy Herlihy

Yes. That's right. So, for example, if you are get a mild rash from a varicella vaccine you would presumably be more likely to get a severe rash from natural varicella virus than someone who didn't have a rash following vaccine.
So people who are more vulnerable to vaccine reactions are also more vulnerable to vaccine-preventable diseases. They need to be doubly sure that the rest of us get vaccinated on their behalf so they don't get even sicker when measles shows up again. Vaccine injury is correlated with injury from vaccine-preventable diseases.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
She shows up on every last article on this subject and then quotes herself. Or Wakefield. Or whatever anti-vax moron she and her ilk have anointed as prophet of the week. She also goes on and on and on and on about the alleged payments we're all making to defend vaccines but she's the one literally being paid to post.
Hence why literally everyone should flag her comments as spam. Indeed, it's pretty much the textbook definition of spam - she's being paid to repost copy-pasted ad campaigns for her website all over the internet. Shut it down. I'm all in favor of free speech, but if someone made 10 posts with links to "best places to buy shoes", even if the article was about shoes, then that person is spamming and should be removed.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:27 AM

Speaking of LavenderBlue being awesome:

http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/the...to-be-written/

(Is that you, or the other person behind this book?)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Relevant article, written by a woman who wishes her parents had vaccinated her.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Ooh, I shared that article on FB. I thought it was well written and on point.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Speaking of LavenderBlue being awesome:

http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/the...to-be-written/

(Is that you, or the other person behind this book?)
That's her, not me. LavenderBlue is awesomesauce personified.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM

The book will out in paperback on January 16th. We were just proofing the cover today. Now that my youngest will be in preschool for several hours a day by next month, I hope to be able to devote my attention with Kolga to fully work on our next book project.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 PM

I don't know how I missed this before. That is awesome! You are both so awesome!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That article annoyed me so I wrote to the editor of the Jewish Journal. He gave me equal time!

http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion...d_my_daughters
The graphic at the top pretty much wins the argument by itself. Lots of kids used to die each year of illnesses like diphtheria. And now NO ONE AT ALL dies from diphtheria in the U.S., and the death toll from so many other diseases is down to just a few percentage points of what it used to be. And it's all because of vaccines.

Too bad we can't send the anti-vaxxer crowd to Gitmo. They kill just as surely as any terrorist.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The book will out in paperback on January 16th. We were just proofing the cover today. Now that my youngest will be in preschool for several hours a day by next month, I hope to be able to devote my attention with Kolga to fully work on our next book project.
I was glancing through the Amazon reviews of your book and I noticed that most of the 5 star reviews are on top (yay) and the bad reviews not as well regarded.

But when I looked closely I noticed that the good reviews had almost consistently 10 people who felt the reviews were not helpful. 37 of 47, 24 of 34, 35 of 45, etc. A few had a difference of 7 or 8 but the vast majority had exactly 10 people (or accounts) who found the good reviews 'not helpful'. By comparison the bad reviews have much greater failure rates (22 of 341).

The antivaxxers may not be named, but they are numbered.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl View Post
I don't know how I missed this before. That is awesome! You are both so awesome!
Thank you very much. The book is out in paperback right now.