Old 09-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Positive Gun Control News

From CNBC:
Quote:
Walmart is discontinuing sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, discontinuing sales of handgun ammunition and discontinuing handgun sales entirely in Alaska.
It’s also asking shoppers to no longer openly carry firearms in stores, in states where “open carry” is allowed, unless they are authorized law enforcement officers.
Sounds like a reasonable thing to do.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

And it looks like Kroger is following suit when it comes to asking customers not to open carry.
Quote:
"Kroger is respectfully asking that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores, other than authorized law enforcement officers," Jessica Adelman, group vice president of corporate affairs, said in a statement Tuesday.

Adelman said the company is encouraging lawmakers to strengthen background checks and recognizes "the growing chorus of Americans who are no longer comfortable with the status quo and who are advocating for concrete and common sense gun reforms."
Old 09-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

This is NOT yet another gun control debate thread. This thread is for positive gun control news only. If you wish to engage in a discussion of gun control, please do so in one of the many gun control threads we have in Great Debates.

As with the positive gun news thread, you are free to discuss your opinions of whether any particular incident is really good or not, but do not threadshit.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note

This is NOT yet another gun control debate thread. This thread is for positive gun control news only. If you wish to engage in a discussion of gun control, please do so in one of the many gun control threads we have in Great Debates.

As with the positive gun news thread, you are free to discuss your opinions of whether any particular incident is really good or not, but do not threadshit.
Much appreciated-Thank you.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

And more: Governor Cuomo signs two bills strengthening New York gun laws.
Quote:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed two bills Tuesday strengthening the state's gun laws so that out-of-state buyers must submit to mental health background checks and police have access to handgun owners' application information.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

The New York Times analyzed NRA grades for members of Congress, and found that the number of As for Democrats has fallen from 67 in 2008 to 3 today. Fs have increased from 157 to 243. Article here. Only 19 of 229 Democrats elected in the past decade have come with A ratings, and none since 2012.
This is important since in the old days the NRA could count on some Democratic support to block gun reform - no longer.
The NRA claims that their endorsement is important, but they have reduced the number of endorsements to more or less sure things, to make the numbers look better.

Bottom line - those running for office don't have to fear the NRA any longer. And this was before their contacts with Russia were exposed.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:08 PM

So Walmart will continue to sell handguns, except in Alaska, but will not sell handgun ammunition? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
So Walmart will continue to sell handguns, except in Alaska, but will not sell handgun ammunition? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
I didn't think Walmart sold handguns. None of the Walmarts that I have ever been in sold them, only long guns.

According to The Google, Walmart was only selling handguns in Alaska. So, if I understand it correctly, by discontinuing handgun sales in Alaska, Walmart is completely getting out of the handgun business.

Last edited by engineer_comp_geek; 09-04-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

From the link in the OP:
Quote:
Walmart in the 1990s stopped selling handguns in the U.S. with the exception of Alaska. In 2015, it stopped selling semi-automatic weapons such as the AR-15 rifle. Following the mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, in 2018, Walmart stopped selling firearms and ammunition to people under the age of 21.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 PM

OK, that makes more sense. What was quoted in the OP was poorly worded. I should have looked at the article.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I'm confused, didn't (don't) police already have access to the info on firearm background check docs? The NICB database is administered by the FBI.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Walmart is ... asking shoppers to no longer openly carry firearms in stores, in states where “open carry” is allowed, unless they are authorized law enforcement officers.
I hope you cross-posted this to the Positive Gun News Thread.

If I were a patriotic gun owner trying to serve myself, my family and the public devoutly, I think I'd be delighted to know that I can now relax my vigilance in Walmart, leaving my lethal weapon in my glove compartment. My reaction would be gratitude. Otherwise I'd have to pack heat inside the store, tensely watching for terrorists, redcoats, commies, lunatics and ethnic persons. By offering me a respite from my noble duties as a guardian of family and society, Walmart has cut down on my expenses for relaxation drugs and therapy, and left me rested and hence better prepared for my next trip to a theater, library, or some other place possibly teeming with terrorists and other villains.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I hope you cross-posted this to the Positive Gun News Thread.

If I were a patriotic gun owner trying to serve myself, my family and the public devoutly, I think I'd be delighted to know that I can now relax my vigilance in Walmart, leaving my lethal weapon in my glove compartment. My reaction would be gratitude. Otherwise I'd have to pack heat inside the store, tensely watching for terrorists, redcoats, commies, lunatics and ethnic persons. By offering me a respite from my noble duties as a guardian of family and society, Walmart has cut down on my expenses for relaxation drugs and therapy, and left me rested and hence better prepared for my next trip to a theater, library, or some other place possibly teeming with terrorists and other villains.
Please, don't.
In light of recent events, I want there to be no ties whatsoever between this thread and that one.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
I'm confused, didn't (don't) police already have access to the info on firearm background check docs? The NICB database is administered by the FBI.
True but not all jurisdictions report to the FBI the same way/level (there are felony convictions out there the FBI has no idea that they exist) and much of the mental health aspect is shielded unless certain adjudications are met. To some that is the big problem with the current background check system; it relies on the FBI information which many states (and possibly even the FBI itself) admit is not as accurate or complete as it needs to be. I believe the intent of NY is to bring the same standard they apply to their own residents to all coming into the state.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Colt suspends production of AR-15 for civilian market