Old 02-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Trump wants to replace food stamps with a box of processed food, everyone gets the same thing

Link: here

"The proposal, buried in the White Houseís fiscal 2019 budget, would replace about half of the money most families receive via the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as food stamps, with what the Department of Agriculture is calling ďAmericaís Harvest Box.Ē That package would...include items like shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, pasta, canned fruits and meats, and cereal."

I really thought I was reading something from the Onion, but no. This is real.

This is so fucked up on so many levels. What are people, especially kids, supposed to do with this if they are lactose intolerant, allergic to gluten or peanuts, or diabetic and should not be eating processed carbs like pasta and cereal?

How on earth would this even be distributed? Just dropped on people's porches to get rained on or stolen? Or do people have to line up somewhere to get it? What if they don't have a car? What if the box is too heavy to take on the bus or carry home?

What about folks who don't have a working stove, or are homeless? How are they supposed to cook that pasta?

Is the GOP really this hateful towards the poor that they would implement such a draconian change to the lives of people who need help putting nutritious food on the table?

I'm all for limiting food stamp spending to only healthful, nutritious foods and have no problem with prohibiting the purchase of junk foods like soda, chips and candy. But this...taking half of their grocery money away and replacing it with a generic, bland box of highly processed food is just appalling to me.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

It is your fault for being poor. Therefore, we need to shame you into not being poor.

That's the GOP/conservative idea behind this. It is what they are all about - humiliating people for "losing".
Old 02-13-2018, 02:54 PM

This kinda paternalistic nonsense is why I'm in favor of replacing federal welfare programs with a large expansion of EITC. (Call it universal income or negative income tax or whatever if you please.) The amount saved over administering these asinine and complex programs would make up for the expense of just letting poor people manage their own damn lives with a little bit of help.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetumal View Post
Is the GOP really this hateful towards the poor that they would implement such a draconian change to the lives of people who need help putting nutritious food on the table?
Yes. Plus a lot of them are probably illegals anyway. Good Americans have their own food money earned with the sweat of immigrant labor.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:03 PM

There's already a thread here.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
This is so fucked up on so many levels. What are people, especially kids, supposed to do with this if they are lactose intolerant, allergic to gluten or peanuts, or diabetic and should not be eating processed carbs like pasta and cereal?

How on earth would this even be distributed? Just dropped on people's porches to get rained on or stolen? Or do people have to line up somewhere to get it? What if they don't have a car? What if the box is too heavy to take on the bus or carry home?

What about folks who don't have a working stove, or are homeless? How are they supposed to cook that pasta?

I'm all for limiting food stamp spending to only healthful, nutritious foods and have no problem with prohibiting the purchase of junk foods like soda, chips and candy. But this...taking half of their grocery money away and replacing it with a generic, bland box of highly processed food is just appalling to me.
To quote a Townhall (Republican website) contributor: "All these problems that you list would be solved if you just made your own money and supported yourself": https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/s...48550234382336
Old 02-13-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Thanks, I looked before posting but didn't see that one. Apologies.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:10 PM

We have so many new omnibus threads that there will probably not be a need to start a new thread here ever again. It will always be "there's an omnibus thread for that"!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
It would be better to post in that thread to let people know there is a more useful and specific thread here. Omnibus threads suck.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What are people, especially kids, supposed to do with this if they are lactose intolerant, allergic to gluten or peanuts, or diabetic and should not be eating processed carbs like pasta and cereal?
Those kids should have picked non-lazy parents to be borne to.

Quote:
Yes.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Mere Member

As with anything Trump, the basis behind it is who's going to profit. Does he owe one to big agriculture? Food manufacturers? I love the "Made in the USA" part. Most of our canned fruit is from Asia.

The message has been that sick, poor, and old people are a threat to the bottom line. They must go but not in an obvious way. Starve them either literally or from lack of health care. There aren't words strong enough for how evil this all is.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Never mind gluten/nut allergies and lactose intolerance, what if you just don't like fucking peanut butter? Who are they to tell people what they have to eat? The poor neighborhoods will devolve into Mad Max style hellscapes where raiders trade jars of peanut butter for bags of Doritos on the down low.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
The message has been that sick, poor, and old people are a threat to the bottom line. They must go but not in an obvious way. Starve them either literally or from lack of health care. There aren't words strong enough for how evil this all is.
Yeah, FFS Trump should just cut through all the crap and build Trump branded camps to put all the undesirables in and start up the gas chambers. What's with all this dancing around the edges?

(God, I hope he doesn't read this - he'll offer me a job!)

Last edited by Icarus; 02-13-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Two threads on the subject and someone has yet to mention Soylent Green.

It's made of Illegal Immigrant People!!

Last edited by QuickSilver; 02-13-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
It would be better to post in that thread to let people know there is a more useful and specific thread here. Omnibus threads suck.
Says the guy who made an omnibus snark thread.

Last edited by BigT; 02-13-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Two threads on the subject and someone has yet to mention Soylent Green.

It's made of Illegal Immigrant People!!
Please. That's Soylent Brown.

This is going to be a pretty big change, and a smart person would do a pilot program first to see how it works and get the bugs out before it goes national. How much you wanna bet Trump doesn't do that? But then, this is just a proposal and probably won't get through Congress.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
This is going to be a pretty big change, and a smart person would do a pilot program first to see how it works and get the bugs out before it goes national. How much you wanna bet Trump doesn't do that? But then, this is just a proposal and probably won't get through Congress.
How much of his "skinny budget" proposal from last year got actually put in?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Says the guy who made an omnibus snark thread.
Au contraire. I made an ongoing snark thread. That choice of words, or at least the lack of "omnibus" was very deliberate.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 PM

on that list i might be able to eat the Peanut butter if its actual pb (ingredients: peanuts, salt) and not the usual shit, and I might be able to eat the canned meats if they are in fact canned meats and not some soy variant.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
I might be able to eat the canned meats if they are in fact canned meats and not some soy variant.
Just wait till you try the Trump branded canned Emu left over from a failed venture in Ukraine. That definitely isn't soy you're tasting.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 PM

I see the point the Pres is trying to make, but even I agree that this is the wrong approach with the Reagan-esque idea of "government cheese" The purchase of nutritionally negligent food would be a better change. Limiting the purchase of soda/pop, cookies, cakes and such, or perhaps some stipulation on sugar content to a certain amount would be better. I shop at various grocery stores to get the best deals and almost every time I pop into an Aldi store or some others, there are people buying a cartload of cookies, cakes, chips, and Hawaiian punch and not one vegetable in sight, paid with EBT or SNAP. I see it so often I could set a watch by it. Same with friends I used to have who worked for "under the table" pay or skewed their tips and received the benefits, only to buy junk food. The target idea would be to eliminate waste and to promote better health among those who use the benefits.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:43 PM

Turns out that this wasn't an actual proposal, but:

"Democrats claimed the plan shackled the poor while business groups, led by big food retailers, would stand to lose billions of dollars in lost SNAP business. The head of one trade association typically supportive of President Trump’s economic policies accused the administration of reneging on its pledge to cut “red tape and regulations.”

In reality, administration officials on Tuesday admitted that the food-box plan — which the president’s budget director Mick Mulvaney compared to the Blue Apron grocery delivery service — had virtually no chance of being implemented anytime soon.

Instead, the idea, according to two administration officials who worked on the proposal, was a political gambit by fiscal hawks in the administration aimed at sparking outrage among liberals and stirring up members of the president’s own party working on the latest version of the farm bill. "
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM

They should make a Trump card that can only be used to purchase meals at McDonald's and you can get an extra serving of ice cream with it too.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
They should make a Trump card that can only be used to purchase meals at McDonald's and you can get an extra serving of ice cream with it too.
Not at McDonald's. At Chick-Fil-A and Papa John's.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
I see the point the Pres is trying to make, but even I agree that this is the wrong approach with the Reagan-esque idea of "government cheese" The purchase of nutritionally negligent food would be a better change. Limiting the purchase of soda/pop, cookies, cakes and such, or perhaps some stipulation on sugar content to a certain amount would be better. I shop at various grocery stores to get the best deals and almost every time I pop into an Aldi store or some others, there are people buying a cartload of cookies, cakes, chips, and Hawaiian punch and not one vegetable in sight, paid with EBT or SNAP. I see it so often I could set a watch by it. Same with friends I used to have who worked for "under the table" pay or skewed their tips and received the benefits, only to buy junk food. The target idea would be to eliminate waste and to promote better health among those who use the benefits.
So fucking what if I buy soda and cookies with my 257 dollar allotment? I make lunches for three people in this house and every single one of us WORKS and take our lunches. My daughter takes 2 liters and keeps them in the fridge. None of us can drink milk. I drink water most of the time but for lunch I like a caffeine kick. I get all that stuff at Aldi because it's the cheapest place for lunch stuff. I get the bulk of my allotment at Kroger, including bags of frozen vegetables, meats, and cheese. I don't buy box food because I have allergies. I have an autistic daughter with a limited diet. Yeah she gets junk. She also eats spinach and egg almost every night because that's what she doesn't turn away. It's really none of anyone's business WHAT we eat with that food stamp allotment. It's FOOD. Do you not realize how expensive fresh fruit and vegetables are? I get five bananas every week for my child. She won't eat anything else and I can't afford anything else. It's such bullshit, knowing that some twat is looking over my shopping cart and sniffing out my cupcakes, grieving over their precious tax dollars wasted on subsidizing my gross malnourishment and clear nutritional neglect of my child when I say "EBT food" at the register.

And oh LORD everyone seems to know someone who works under the table for food stamps. And yet I have to report every penny I earn. When my daughter got a quarter an hour raise our allotment went down 20 dollars for the month. The food stamp program has the lowest incidence of fraud of all government programs. And yet today all I saw all bloody day was Republicans celebrating, claiming they all "know someone" who commits fraud. Well do you fuckin report it? Because it's FRAUD. Report it and they'll investigate. I would dearly LOVE IT if every one of you people claiming to "know someone" would go ahead and report people instead of citing it as a valid reason to force people to eat from commodity boxes like we did in the good ol' days, back when America was great the first time.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 PM

It's been confusing in the Pit lately with all these recent reorganizations. Is anomalous1 a troll or a fuckwit? I think both, but I can't find an Omnibus thread for that.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 PM

The problem with the poor (economically speaking) Republicans/Trumpies is that they don't think of any of this as affecting them. It's always aimed at those other jerks who aren't carrying their weight.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
on that list i might be able to eat the Peanut butter if its actual pb (ingredients: peanuts, salt) and not the usual shit, and I might be able to eat the canned meats if they are in fact canned meats and not some soy variant.
I remember the meat from Girl Scout camp. Our dog's food looked (and probably tasted) better.

Not everything tastes good over a campfire.

I'm envisioning the packages being delivered in a truck with the word "COMMODITIES" (or some similar phrase) painted on the side in big letters, so all the neighbors know you're really a mooch. (snark)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
It's been confusing in the Pit lately with all these recent reorganizations. Is anomalous1 a troll or a fuckwit? I think both, but I can't find an Omnibus thread for that.
Better make one then, have fun.

Labeling someone with different opinions a 'troll' or 'fuckwit' is very immature, much more so if it happens to be a person with a valid point in which you disagree. Grow up.

Sad state of affairs when you types allow anyone to have an opinion, unless it differs from your own. Fantastic coming from the so-called champions of free speech and expression.

If you bothered to read what I wrote more intelligently, I didn't say it was correct, I said I understood the principle behind eliminating waste. People are free to do what they want and eat what they want, but if they are spending ALL or MOST of it on junk, if the government is handing out money, they can have a say in what you purchase. That is my opinion, you can have yours and I respect that. I suggest you try to grow up and do the same.

Despite your mean spirited comments rushgeekgirl, you are a shining example of proper use. I don't have any qualms with what you described, everybody deserves cookies, treats etc. and I understand how finnicky kids can be. My point was to illustrate that there are a lot of uninformed choices regarding food and abuses to the assistance program, and that the administration is trying to curtail this as they should, but are going about it the wrong way. To answer your question/statement, yes I have reported some for it, but like most people I have a bias towards friends, even if I think what they are doing is wrong, I'm not going to report them unless it is something 'life or death'.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
To answer your question/statement, yes I have reported some for it, but like most people I have a bias towards friends, even if I think what they are doing is wrong, I'm not going to report them unless it is something 'life or death'.
What are you reporting these people for? And to whom? It's not illegal to use your SNAP benefits to buy junk food. There's nothing to report, other than the oh-so-self-righteous right-wing "That's MY money you're using so you'll buy what I tell you to buy!" bullshit.

Honestly, if you think this plan is motivated by Trump's empathy for poor people who just don't know any better how to plan a meal, you're an idiot.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
What are you reporting these people for? And to whom? It's not illegal to use your SNAP benefits to buy junk food. There's nothing to report, other than the oh-so-self-righteous right-wing "That's MY money you're using so you'll buy what I tell you to buy!" bullshit.

Honestly, if you think this plan is motivated by Trump's empathy for poor people who just don't know any better how to plan a meal, you're an idiot.
Calm down

In that aspect, I was speaking of those who abuse benefits, buying stuff for others, selling LINK cards , not reporting their tips. I don't have any self-righteous complex when it comes to assistance programs even if they are not a 'right', just yearning for better efficiency is all. The poor need assistance. It is not to undercut anyone, but to make sure that all is fair.

I never said it was motivated by some 'empathy', those are your words. I said "I understand the logic, but its being done wrong" in so many words.

Last edited by anomalous1; 02-13-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 AM

Jayjay is just fine. You are an idiot.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
the food-box plan ó which the presidentís budget director Mick Mulvaney compared to the Blue Apron grocery delivery service
Well, there's a big part of the agenda right there -- invoke "welfare queen" imagery of Teh Poorz getting fancy-schmancy luxury service at the expense of Real (i.e. Trumpoltroon) Murkins.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I smell a new bestseller If You Give the Poors a Cookie, by anomalous1.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Then there are people like me that buy nothing but lobster, shrimp and filet mignon with my $500/month allotment to share between myself and my two teenaged sons.

We don't eat for long, but man are those couple of days a cultural cuisine adventure!

Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

So the same guys who pulled out their torches and pitchforks when Michelle Obama wanted children to have healthy foods, saying the government shouldn't dictate what people eat, now want to dictate what people eat.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM

I can't imagine how proud the recipients will be when that big truck drives up in front of their home in suburbia and drops off their big box of food labeled "Trumpcare."

Last edited by Morgenstern; 02-14-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: BIG truch, noty BUG truck. Although, it might be.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I really thought I was reading something from the Onion, but no. This is real.

As bad as this is, at least the country's voters spared us from evil Hillary. Had she been elected, she probably would have reformatted her hard drive and backed up her data in the cloud. Who knows how bad this could have become?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
As bad as this is, at least the country's voters spared us from evil Hillary. Had she been elected, she probably would have reformatted her hard drive and backed up her data in the cloud. Who knows how bad this could have become?
But would she make the poor eat C-rats from 1945?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
But would she make the poor eat C-rats from 1945?
No idea.

All I know is, she drowned Vince Foster, then dredged him up from the Potomac and then shot him in the head to make it look like a suicide. Then she murdered a democratic activist just for fun.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I was speaking of those who abuse benefits, buying stuff for others, selling LINK cards , not reporting their tips
Gosh, isn't it amazing how a certain set of people insists on focusing on the small number of people who cheat the system and insisting that it is much more widespread than it actually is? Typically citing this sort of crap as reasons to cut assistance to poor people?

And on the other side, isn't it amazing how people who actually want to help the poor don't spend any time talking about this?

One might almost draw conclusions on which side of the fence someone stands when one hears them talking about this.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:55 AM

What about those less fortunate people who, for ethnic or religious reasons, eat something other than what Trumpcare provides?

Last edited by Morgenstern; 02-14-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Charter Member

Not to give the America-hating fuckstick Administration any ideas (and since the adminstration pretty much admitted to the whole proposal being a troll anyway, Iím probably not), but the silver lining here is that the proposal wasnít just to replace the benefits with a monthly allotment of Nutraloaf.
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't imagine how proud the recipients will be when that big truck drives up in front of their home in suburbia and drops off their big box of food labeled "Trumpcare."
Ahahahahahahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
I don't know why they call this stuff Hamburger Helper. It does just fine by itself, huh? I like it better than Tuna Helper myself, don't you, Clark?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In that aspect, I was speaking of those who abuse benefits, buying stuff for others, selling LINK cards , not reporting their tips. I don't have any self-righteous complex when it comes to assistance programs even if they are not a 'right', just yearning for better efficiency is all. The poor need assistance. It is not to undercut anyone, but to make sure that all is fair.
Bravo for you for actually reporting fraud, but I do want to point out that "buying stuff for others is not" inherently a wrong - a recipient can designate someone to act as a purchasing agent (common with elderly and disabled recipients). People in the same household may not share the same surname.

Also, I have a number of customers who will split the cost of a basket of food between two EBT cards. There's nothing wrong with that - it might be less wasteful for two people to split a bag of oranges or onions, for example. My register allows my to apply, say, $50 from one account to the total and $50 from another account.

The USDA claims that only 1% of EBT funds are diverted from their intended purpose. I don't think you're going to drive fraud below that number, frankly, I'm surprised it's that low. Even if you assume that there's 2-3 times that actually going on (because no tracking/auditing system is perfect) that's still an exceedingly low figure of fraud for the program.

Yes, there are some high-profile fraud cases. That's going to happen in any system that large. Most fraud is pretty low-level - buying some food for a friend as well as yourself, for example.

That said - if suspect something is wrong then report it, don't just bitch on the internet. While I was on unemployment someone accused me of fraud and I was audited - no big deal, I provided all requested information and I was proven to NOT being fraudulent. Likewise, I never had any trouble providing full information while on foodstamps ("Mrs. Broomstick, you do realize that almost no one else discloses their income from turning in aluminum cans? Thank you for your... ah... exhaustive level of honesty")

Yeah, I'm not always happen with what I see in peoples' carts, but that applies to ALL income levels not just the poor. Just remember that the vast majority of people on EBT are honest folks trying to survive as best they can.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I left a big package of Trumpcare in the toilet this morning. Fortunately, that action had more benefit than this idea will ever provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
No idea.

All I know is, she drowned Vince Foster, then dredged him up from the Potomac and then shot him in the head to make it look like a suicide. Then she murdered a democratic activist just for fun.
It is a horrible sign that I can't tell if you are parroting the people who actually believe this or are one of the people who believe it. If the former, be careful you are too good at imitating the crazies. If the later, then it is truly taking longer than we thought.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Calm down

I never said it was motivated by some 'empathy', those are your words. I said "I understand the logic, but its being done wrong" in so many words.

JayJay is probably one of the calmest posters on this board. Learn from him.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
What about those less fortunate people who, for ethnic or religious reasons, eat something other than what Trumpcare provides?
[Trumpster]What ethnic or religious reasons? Christianity doesn't forbid pork or beef, and there are no other religions for a real white ....... bread Amurrican!"[/Trumpster]
Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My first thought along these lines was that they couldn't figure out how to include stuff Muslim's can't eat without hitting Jews as collateral damage. That theory doesn't really hold up, though; the latter issue is not really a show-stopper for President Pumpkinhead's fan club.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
It is a horrible sign that I can't tell if you are parroting the people who actually believe this or are one of the people who believe it. If the former, be careful you are too good at imitating the crazies. If the later, then it is truly taking longer than we thought.
I would think the "dredged him up from the Potomac" part is a fairly-reliable signal of parody.