Old 09-14-2018, 06:05 AM

Free Masonry

regarding Freemason presidents -- George Washington was a mason. The incredibly beautiful masonic lodge in Alexandria, Virginia is dedicated to him.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Aha! "The Constitution" really IS a living document. See? Here it is, talking to us!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

You might want to ask a mod to change the thread title to "Freemasonry". "Free Masonry" sounds like it should be in the Marketplace forum.

My son and I have visited the Masonic Temple in Alexandria. It's pretty cool, actually.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:01 PM

mumble mumble...conspiracy...mumble mumble...illuminati
Old 09-14-2018, 01:04 PM

I've got some projects that I could really use some free masonry work.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

I was going to start a thread on the the Free Mason question. But I guess I will just have to respond to this one.

BTW, you forgot the to add a link: this one, specifically. (It's helpful if people know which column you are referring to.)

You beat me to the George Washington one. I also recently saw on the History Channel possibly, that Washington was encouraging many of his men to join the Masons. It's high ideals were apparently very attractive to some people then, in the young country.

Also, about the Roman Catholic thing. Are Catholics still forbidden from joining the Masons? I know about the automatic excommunication thing. In the Catholic Church it is called being excommunicated latae sententiae--by the very act itself. (You can learn a lot, growing up Catholic.) It is usually reserved for the most grievous offenses. But are Catholics still forbidden from joining? And BTW, didn't the Church set up a similar brotherhood, for Catholics? I want to say it was the Shriners, or something like that.

Last edited by Jim B.; 09-15-2018 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Also, about the Roman Catholic thing. Are Catholics still forbidden from joining the Masons? I know about the automatic excommunication thing. In the Catholic Church it is called being excommunicated latae sententiae--by the very act itself. (You can learn a lot, growing up Catholic.) It is usually reserved for the most grievous offenses. But are Catholics still forbidden from joining? And BTW, didn't the Church set up a similar brotherhood, for Catholics? I want to say it was the Shriners, or something like that.
You may be thinking of the Knights of Columbus. (Shriners are a Masonic spinoff)

The 1983 Code of Canon Law no longer prescribes the automatic excommunication for joining a lodge but it still forbids doing so and declares it a mortal sin to be active in Freemasonry. Under the same Code those who become officials or promoters of any forbidden organization are subject to "interdict".

Last edited by JRDelirious; 09-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I've got some projects that I could really use some free masonry work.

By the title I thought the thread was going to be like if the Masons were having a sale or a discount on memberships.

That was because I was aware of the fall in membership seen recently.

https://www.hardingfile.com/adept-or...n-freemasonry/

In essence, a lot of younger folk are not interested in joining civic minded organizations, it is not only a problem with masons, but with churches, other types of clubs, etc.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
In essence, a lot of younger folk are not interested in joining civic minded organizations, it is not only a problem with masons, but with churches, other types of clubs, etc.
Indeed. And in the specific case of Freemasonry, I'm sorry, but the ritualistic mystic elements can't be helping. I can very damn well see Millennials, GenXers and late Boomers like me saying "WTF, Dude? Get outta here! If I wanted this sort of bulldada I'd join a religion."